Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-10-26 6:18 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by bulfrog This week, life has jumped in and actually helped the training plan. I had to head out of town overnight for work, long story short the timing gave me the opportunity for a swim Wednesday at the start of the drive north, and today at the end of the drive home. That's better than work getting too busy and making me skip workouts. Happy days.

So nice when the stars align and you get to save some time. 

Which reminds me, I need to find the pool at some point.

2023-10-26 6:20 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Brought myself home a nice souvenir in the form of a cold (no COVID).  Ugh - I'm overdue to be sick anyway as I haven't been since last November.  I'll plan on some easy workouts as I meander through this and the remaining jet lag - I slept until 4 AM this morning so that's and improvement!

2023-10-26 1:05 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike—sorry to hear about the cold. Hopefully it is quick to resolve and yay for sleeping through the night!! I mean…you get up at 4am regularly, right?

@andrew—score! Time savings in the training bank! Gotta love it when the training/life balance tilts this way!

32’ fartlek run today. Felt good and strong. I’m thinking I might change my schedule up a bit so the fartlek runs will be on Friday and I can amuse myself by calling the fart kicking fridays! Yes…under the outer core of adult woman is a 12yo boy who enjoys fart jokes.
2023-10-26 3:25 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
You’re never too old for fart jokes….
2023-10-26 3:41 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

You’re never too old for fart jokes….

This is the truth
2023-10-27 4:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Rollergirl You’re never too old for fart jokes….
This is the truth

Every time I say fartlek to my wife she starts giggling and then so do I.  My daughter rolls her eyes.

2023-10-27 5:10 AM
in reply to: #5287224

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ohhh…she’s a keeper! :D
2023-10-27 6:29 AM
in reply to: #5287229

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
30’ foundation run today.

Now I have to start thinking about getting ready for Egypt. I leave on Sunday, so there is still plenty of time. It will not be anything like leaving Egypt to come back here. There is so much more to organize to get there. Ming home is easy—everything goes in the bag. Period. Going there is complicated, because you have to think about everything you might need for a variety of contingencies, both personal and professional (and in my case—for the whole team, since I’m the co-director of the project). Good times. The personal stuff is pretty easy after this many trips. I know exactly how much shampoo to take, for example (and I mean, down to the ml). But I’m working on a different type of project this trip, so I’m freaked out I’ve forgotten something important. You really can’t get much stuff there, so if you forget something, you either have to do without it or MacGyver it, which can be fun.
2023-10-27 7:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove
Now I have to start thinking about getting ready for Egypt. I leave on Sunday, so there is still plenty of time.

eeerr, isn't that the day after tomorrow? I would not call this "plenty of time"

Tried this spin class yesterday and last week. Spin giro they call it, it's supposedly aimed at cyclists rather than grannies. Last week was a FTP (FPT? I never know) test and this week a 90 minutes distance workout. I got 3 free sessions with the running club so one more freebee next week and then I'll have to decide if I want to sign up for more. I think I do.

2023-10-27 9:04 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Now I have to start thinking about getting ready for Egypt. I leave on Sunday, so there is still plenty of time.

eeerr, isn't that the day after tomorrow? I would not call this "plenty of time"

About five years ago I had a super busy semester and went to a conference the weekend before I had to leave and had decided that I would wait to do ANYTHING to prepare for my trip until after I got home from the conference. While I was at that conference, we had a family emergency and I ended up going directly from the conference to my parents' house. I stayed there all week until I left for Egypt. I had one afternoon I drove to my house (2 hours away) did a doctor's appointment, took my dog to the vet, and then got everything ready for Egypt, and drove back to my parents' house. In total, I got entirely ready for the two month trip in less than three hours. Knowing that it is possible, I simply often can't be fussed to put much effort into it until the last minute now.

Tried this spin class yesterday and last week. Spin giro they call it, it's supposedly aimed at cyclists rather than grannies. Last week was a FTP (FPT? I never know) test and this week a 90 minutes distance workout. I got 3 free sessions with the running club so one more freebee next week and then I'll have to decide if I want to sign up for more. I think I do.

I did a winter of spin classes a few years ago (maybe 8?) and really liked the structure of it and having the schedule really helped me to be consistent in my cycling training (back before I was good at that on my own). What I didn't like was the standing up on the bike--I don't do that. I just skipped that part of every class--keeping myself seated and doing my own thing. I saw a lot of gains that winter. I wish I could find a run club to train with. I think it would help me (and you!)--I find I always do a bit more if I have people watching me...:D.
2023-10-27 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I did a winter of spin classes a few years ago (maybe 8?) and really liked the structure of it and having the schedule really helped me to be consistent in my cycling training (back before I was good at that on my own). What I didn't like was the standing up on the bike--I don't do that. I just skipped that part of every class--keeping myself seated and doing my own thing. I saw a lot of gains that winter. I wish I could find a run club to train with. I think it would help me (and you!)--I find I always do a bit more if I have people watching me...:D.

I do a weekly spin class during the winter...it's fun and it helps with high-cadence work.  I don't do the up and downs though I will climb out of the saddle if it's more than a few pedal strokes.

I think you'll like it, Nathalie, and like Gretchen said it'll get you on the bike and forced to do a workout and it's even better than it's designed for cyclists.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-10-27 9:10 AM

2023-10-27 11:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
it's even better than it's designed for cyclists.

It is, we stay seated all the time. Although I do like to get up sometimes, to give my bum a rest, but only for a second or two.

Thanks for your input Mike and Gretchen, it’s certainly a better workout than doing it on my own.I think I’ll sign up.

How are you feeling today Mike?

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-10-27 11:36 AM
2023-10-27 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 it's even better than it's designed for cyclists.
It is, we stay seated all the time. Although I do like to get up sometimes, to give my bum a rest, but only for a second or two. Thanks for your input Mike and Gretchen, it’s certainly a better workout than doing it on my own.I think I’ll sign up. How are you feeling today Mike?

Well I slept all the way until 4:45 AM so that's an improvement....I normally get up around 5:30 so we're almost there.  Got in a brisk walk today with some light strength work as my cold continues, but I've had way worse.  Thanks for asking!! 

2023-10-28 3:20 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Just over 8miled this morning as a long slow run. Fet good, but dang the cold snap has hit us. Low temps, mist, and overcast skies is not the crisp fall morning long run I was hoping for.

I’m all packed and ready to go, 22 hours early! I don’t know what to do with myself with this much time, so I’m drinking beer. Fat pug porter. Pretty good. Realy dearth of dark beer in Egypt, so I’m enjoying it while I can.
2023-10-29 4:56 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Just over 8miled this morning as a long slow run. Fet good, but dang the cold snap has hit us. Low temps, mist, and overcast skies is not the crisp fall morning long run I was hoping for. I’m all packed and ready to go, 22 hours early! I don’t know what to do with myself with this much time, so I’m drinking beer. Fat pug porter. Pretty good. Realy dearth of dark beer in Egypt, so I’m enjoying it while I can.

I approve of your life choices. 

Have a safe trip today/night.

2023-10-29 4:59 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Continuing to plow through my cold which has moved to my chest a little bit.  Tested for COVID again negative, which is good.  Yesterday was a light spin on the bike, some yoga/stretching/core work, then a little yard work on an 86-degree day.  WAY too hot for the end of October, and I like warm weather.  Still off on sleep timing a bit but went to bed early and woke up early, which isn't necessarily a bad thing overall.

Hope everyone is having/had a great weekend.

2023-10-29 5:39 AM
in reply to: #5287243

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dang…86F?!? That is way too warm for end of October! Sorry to hear your cold is migrating. Hopefully a bit of extra rest will knock it out soon.

35’ fast finish run on tap for me as soon as the sun comes up. I packed my nox vest and headlamp already, so I can’t go early. Oh well, it is currently 50F and raining pretty steadily, so my feelings aren’t hurt having to wait a couple of hours.
2023-10-29 8:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nathalie. Glad that you enjoyed the spin class. As we know I'm a big fan of the benefits of indoor training, so if you're finding it fun, and it helps motivation go for it. All time on the bike is beneficial.

@Mike. Hope the jet lag is under control by now, and your cold is under control. It's a bit early in the season to be starting your perma-cough.

@Gretchen. Finishing early and drinking beer is an excellent life choice. Don't complain too much about cold and rain... after a few weeks in the heat of the desert you'll be wishing for a bit of cold weather.
2023-10-29 9:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Another good week last week. Just ticked over the 10 hour milestone (a meaningless stat on its own, but a nice round number)

I've also pulled the trigger on this weeks tri. Entered the sprint distance. This will be the first tri shorter than a 70.3 since 2016 for me. So it's been a while. But I'm looking forward to it, it's going to be good to remind myself how triathlons work, and see if I have any speed in my legs despite spending the last 7 years training for longer, not faster.

For the week,
Swim, x2, 1,750m, 43min
Bike, x4, (3 zwift, 1 real), 5hr 33 min
Run, x5, 3hr 45 min
Strength and mobility, 0

Looking forward to a lighter week before race day sunday.
2023-10-30 10:44 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Finished off Fat Thor season with an hour ride and some light core work.  I think I've managed to keep this cold into nuisance territory (eating Zicam like candy).  I Nyquil-induced-slept almost 10 hours last night to shake off the last of the jet lag.  Day off today as my off-season "speed and strength" plan starts (Monday is my usual off-day).

Speaking of shaking off , so my 21 YO daughter is a full-on Swiftie and talked me and The Wife into seeing the concert movie yesterday.  All I can say is wow - what a performance.  There were like 30 little girls in the theater audience dancing around and it was great for people to avoid the multi-thousand dollar tickets to the real shows (we got lucky and my daughter went to a show in Pittsburgh earlier this summer for face value).  That lady killed it - vocals, energy, everything.  Then the Ravens won so a good day. 

@Andrew:  really looking forward to your red-lining it this weekend...should be fun and great practice for sure

@Nathalie:  has your water frozen over yet?  We were watching the weather on BBC while in Italy and eggads there was some cold rainy weather up north

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-10-30 10:45 AM
2023-10-30 11:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

8 mile long run this morning to close out week one of marathon training. This plan is a bit weird. It has the weekday runs by time, but weekend long runs by distance. I have no idea how long any of my long run routes are—only how long it will take me to run them! I mean, I know I should be able to figure it out, it is just too much thinking. Any plan I had this week was thrown out the window when I saw my weird, slightly creepy, very racist talkative neighbor and diverted down a different road than the one he was walking on.

In college, we only ever did runs by time if they were long runs. Definitely a big difference to going out with a specific mile goal. I think it forces you to listen to your body more, but could also cause laziness if you don't have a specific mileage goal in mind.

2023-10-30 11:39 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone! Caught up again! It's been a crazy couple weeks for me, and seems it's been busy for all of you as well!

Gretchen, glad you were able to get packed and shipped off to Egypt. Excited for more adventures! Sounds like your marathon plan is off to a great start as well.

Mike, sorry that you are sick, but Italy sounded amaaaaaazing. Very jealous.

Andrew, good luck in your sprint this weekend! Can't wait to hear how it goes! It will be a great base test!

Nathalie, these cycling classes sound great, and it definitely helps accountability. Can't wait to hear more!
2023-10-30 11:47 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So a wild few weeks for me. Got a few good workouts in before my conference in Nashville. Overall the conference was great, and we stayed in a really nice hotel. I made it to the gym the first morning I was there and did a treadmill workout and some strength. The rest of the week was a bit of a wash, though Monday and Tuesday evening I did a lot of dancing, so I'm counting that as my workout. I also kept my drinking down pretty well, mostly just partook when it was included in something and then stopped and sobered up after whatever event ended.

Was supposed to see my sister on Thursday, but had some drama and she has officially decided to never speak to anyone in my family again, so the end of the trip was a bit emotional. I moved my flight up to come back with my colleagues. We've had a lot of issues with my sister, and I knew the day would come where she would cut us out. She lives off the grid with her husband and they're very isolated, and she has a lot of anger and resentment she's never dealt with, and blames anything and everything on my family being horrible. No personal accountability. So I'm really sad, but also a little relieved b/c it's been toxic for awhile. She may come back around eventually, but we will see.

Thanks to lots of tears, my left eye swelled up to look like what I called a Shrek eye. I had to get some meds to take it down, I guess it got infected from rubbing it so much.

Had an axe tournament this weekend. Didn't drink at all and took a few naps. Still tired but in way better shape than I'd be in if I drank. It was a fun weekend, and I was able to find a trail to run on yesterday. Baby steps
Finally back home so looking forward to getting back into my routine with no travel until Thanksgiving!
2023-10-31 3:50 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear about your family issues Nicole, that sucks! well done on keeping the booze intake at a respectable level!
Gretchen, have you landed in Egypt now?
Mike, glad you got your cold under control
Andrew, I am not jealous of you racing at the weekend at all and sorry the all blacks didn't win the final, I hear it was close!

Me, supposed to try another group training class yesterday but something happened again....

No, the water not frozen yet, the temperatures have not been under freezing point yet. I don't swim anymore though, too cold, even with a wetsuit. I did sit in the lake for a couple of minutes on Saturday though, very nice

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-10-31 6:45 AM
2023-10-31 4:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nicole--sorry to hear about your sister. I stopped talking to mine a few years ago, so I know what you are going through (at least, sorta). It took me a long time to get over the "family is family" mentality, but once I did, I realized it was okay to not talk to someone who isn't healthy for me to be around.

@Mike--glad to hear your cold is getting better

@Nathalie--it does not compute that it is too cold to swim in the lake, but not too cold to sit in the lake. Wouldn't swimming warm you up?

@Andrew--super jealous of your race this weekend. I mean, I know I raced like three weeks ago and then have had surgery since and all, but I'm already itching to get back to it. this 5lb lifting restriction is for the birds.

I've made it to Egypt and already done my first run...30' foundation run in the SMOG. Man...when I landed, the air was orange from the sky. It was dystopian...as was my cab ride to my apartment for the week. I can't wait to get down to Amarna, where at least I won't have to breathe in a billion ppm of exhaust and cigarette smoke.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland