Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2009-04-08 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED
So.....aquagirl went swimming 3 days in a row......trying like mad to maintain this low stroke count which my dear coach feels I am capable of. 
But it is hard.Very hard. I cannot do more than 100 meters at a time before becoming hypoxic. She assures me it will come with time. Right now it feels like a step backwards. I am so used to being able to swim FOREVER without a break.......makes me feel like a rank beginner.........its kinda hard to take if you want the truth....      

2009-04-08 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2070578

User image

Champion
Sydney
running4beer - 2009-04-08 11:55 PM
kaqphin - 2009-04-07 8:48 PM
QueenZipp - 2009-04-08 10:32 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-07 6:32 PM

I was sooooo cold riding this morning... Had on a jersey and knicks.... oh and socks... it was 11 degrees and the grass was white and frosty/dewy (not sure we get a real frost here)

Clearly NOT enough gear... I think I need at least arm warmers and gloves for winter...

Especially if I intend to try riding all year around - has anyone got any other tips for riding all year round? (just remember it gets cold and wet sometimes but it doesnt snow here!)

Oh, that is cold!!

haha well it IS for me!

Ha!  I assume you're talking celsius.  I've been riding all winter here as long as there's not a lot of snow on the road-- hasn't gotten quite down to 11ºF (dunno, maybe it has... I stopped looking at the weather reports for a while cause it would make me colder!), but probably with the wind chill a couple of days it was close.

What do you have for cool/wet weather riding gear?

As far as gloves go, I've found that generic goretex gloves (windproof and slightly water resistant) beat a lot of cycling gloves for warmth.  I have a nice pair of Perl Izumi Cyclones that have great padding for long rides, but I don't wear them in the winter or even cooler spring/fall temps here... I definitely prefer my cheapo EMS gortex ones since they keep my hands warmer and don't hold in the moisture when it rains-- the Cylcone padding turns into sponges!

Celcius!!! Its only just autumn here! Besides it DOES NOT snow here!!!

For wet riding I have a sleeveless vest that was actually a hand me down from CG.... apart from that... ummm nothing!

I got given some socks for my birthday, proper Capo forma and Nallini cycling ones so at least my toes have some extra warmth now...

Monday I pulled out a short sleeved sports top that I got for running a few years ago and wore that with the vest on top... that was probably warmer than my cycling jersey...

Im thinkng Arm warmers might need to be the next big purchase...

Im also contemplating riding in my compression socks

2009-04-08 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2071164

User image

Champion
Sydney

KOM - 2009-04-09 2:44 AM Yikes- we've been archived!  It doesn't seem like we have been going all that long....  Hope everyone is having a good day.  I am going to the pool for a short swimmy.  Let's hope the Bathing Cap Ladies, henceforth BCLs, have finished their laps.

We can still hang out here right? Id really miss this group if it disappeared!

2009-04-08 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2072236

User image

Champion
Sydney
aquagirl - 2009-04-09 9:14 AM So.....aquagirl went swimming 3 days in a row......trying like mad to maintain this low stroke count which my dear coach feels I am capable of. 
But it is hard.Very hard. I cannot do more than 100 meters at a time before becoming hypoxic. She assures me it will come with time. Right now it feels like a step backwards. I am so used to being able to swim FOREVER without a break.......makes me feel like a rank beginner.........its kinda hard to take if you want the truth....      

So so so very hard to relearn some swimming! I feel your pain...

Just stick with doing it properly and stopping when you start to slip... Im sure it will all just fall into place then!

If you need a day off to rest from it you wont loose anything in a day! Promise!

2009-04-08 8:13 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I think we can still hang out  
2009-04-08 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2072483

User image

Champion
Sydney

QueenZipp - 2009-04-09 11:13 AM I think we can still hang out  

The Queen has spoken

2009-04-08 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2072236

User image

Champion
MA
aquagirl - 2009-04-08 7:14 PM So.....aquagirl went swimming 3 days in a row......trying like mad to maintain this low stroke count which my dear coach feels I am capable of. 

You have almost 5 months..give it time and it will come. You have a sneak preview of how much it effects your pace.
Great work aquagirl...you are becoming your screen name
2009-04-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2072547

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
KathyG - 2009-04-08 9:32 PM
aquagirl - 2009-04-08 7:14 PM So.....aquagirl went swimming 3 days in a row......trying like mad to maintain this low stroke count which my dear coach feels I am capable of. 

You have almost 5 months..give it time and it will come. You have a sneak preview of how much it effects your pace.
Great work aquagirl...you are becoming your screen name
Thank you!
2009-04-09 8:32 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey guys,

I love reading your posts, everyone has so much energy. I am getting high hopes here to up my training. Brielle is starting (fingers crossed) to sleep a bit more through the night. I almost feel like a normal person these past 3 days. The weather is turning (fingers double crossed) and I am hoping to start riding to work a couple times a week so that is going to up things.

Wow, 2009 is flying. I understand we have been archived, but I plan to still hang out. You are all awesome and, especially those with the children, a serious inspiration.

Summer here we come...........
2009-04-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2073319

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
BigDH - 2009-04-09 9:32 AM Hey guys, I love reading your posts, everyone has so much energy. I am getting high hopes here to up my training. Brielle is starting (fingers crossed) to sleep a bit more through the night. I almost feel like a normal person these past 3 days. The weather is turning (fingers double crossed) and I am hoping to start riding to work a couple times a week so that is going to up things. Wow, 2009 is flying. I understand we have been archived, but I plan to still hang out. You are all awesome and, especially those with the children, a serious inspiration. Summer here we come...........
Maybe not summer yet but sunshine & 60 seems pretty nice!
2009-04-09 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Wait a minute....does being archived mean they will freeze us?? Take away my playmates??? Say it ain't so!

2009-04-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2074075

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
aquagirl - 2009-04-09 1:39 PM Wait a minute....does being archived mean they will freeze us?? Take away my playmates??? Say it ain't so!

Nope.  As long as the group is active, we'll still be here, only categorized in the ARCHIVE rather than the Current section.

You guys can't go anywhere.... the season's just starting for most of us!!! 

My first tri is coming up in 4 weeks and I'm freaking out about:

1. never swimming in a wetsuit,
2. never clipping in and out successfully on the road, (my knee has FINALLY healed from try #1!)
3. never having practiced a single transition,
4. not having tri clothes, and
5. um... Idunno what 5 is, but I'm feeling like there's more logistic stuff I just don't know!!!

ACK!
2009-04-09 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2074185

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
running4beer - 2009-04-09 2:16 PM
aquagirl - 2009-04-09 1:39 PM Wait a minute....does being archived mean they will freeze us?? Take away my playmates??? Say it ain't so!

Nope.  As long as the group is active, we'll still be here, only categorized in the ARCHIVE rather than the Current section.

2. never clipping in and out successfully on the road, (my knee has FINALLY healed from try #1!)
5. um... Idunno what 5 is, but I'm feeling like there's more logistic stuff I just don't know!!!

ACK!
Oh goody! We will just make a pact to keep chatting then ok?

OK Mina....
1. The tricky part about a wetsuit is not swimming in it....its getting the d*mn thing on. Swimming in it is EASY......sort of like having a pull bouy only better because you can still kick and roll. You will love it!

2. You wrecked your knee from unclipping??? You can adjust the cleats so that it is easier to get in and out of them.....I always have mine pretty loose. Otherwise....yeah there is a learning curve.....and yes you will do the sloooooow motion fall! What kind of cleats do you have? I used to have spd"s that were meant for mountain bikes.....they were really easy to get in and out of and a good first experience with clipless. I have Keos now.....a little harder to get in and out of.

3. You can practice transition on your driveway.......or where ever! Pretend you just got out of the water and carry on! You will figure out the best way to organize your stuff that way. Tricky part is getting out of the wetsuit. I always try and stop and take a really deep breath in transtion......rushing just makes me clumsy and then I am slower and NOT faster.

4.Tri clothes are easy! Tri shorts and a tri top are all you need. This is shopping! This is FUN!!

5. Remember that you are AWESOME and when all is said and done this is just for fun to enhance your life!

You know...I just missed an wonderful opportunity to post pad.......I could have split that up into MANY posts.

Anyway....I am sure there is nothing there that you do not already know,,,,,,just take a deep breath and it will be fine.  
2009-04-09 5:44 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

running4beer - 2009-04-09 1:16 PM

ACK!
We aren't leaving you Mina.

I am freaking out about the anticipated water temp next week....mid 50's.  I don't have a tri specific wetsuit, my husband bought me a diving one and I don't have the heart to get rid of it...though I wonder if the dive shop would consider accepting it as a trade in towards a tri specific one (if they can get a tri specific for me)  Only wore it a few times.  I had a major meltdown swimming in it the first time I raced in it.  f the water weren't so cold I'd consider going without.

2009-04-09 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2074698

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
aquagirl - 2009-04-09 5:15 PM 
Oh goody! We will just make a pact to keep chatting then ok?

OK Mina....
1. The tricky part about a wetsuit is not swimming in it....its getting the d*mn thing on. Swimming in it is EASY......sort of like having a pull bouy only better because you can still kick and roll. You will love it!

2. You wrecked your knee from unclipping??? You can adjust the cleats so that it is easier to get in and out of them.....I always have mine pretty loose. Otherwise....yeah there is a learning curve.....and yes you will do the sloooooow motion fall! What kind of cleats do you have? I used to have spd"s that were meant for mountain bikes.....they were really easy to get in and out of and a good first experience with clipless. I have Keos now.....a little harder to get in and out of.

3. You can practice transition on your driveway.......or where ever! Pretend you just got out of the water and carry on! You will figure out the best way to organize your stuff that way. Tricky part is getting out of the wetsuit. I always try and stop and take a really deep breath in transtion......rushing just makes me clumsy and then I am slower and NOT faster.

4.Tri clothes are easy! Tri shorts and a tri top are all you need. This is shopping! This is FUN!!

5. Remember that you are AWESOME and when all is said and done this is just for fun to enhance your life!

You know...I just missed an wonderful opportunity to post pad.......I could have split that up into MANY posts.

Anyway....I am sure there is nothing there that you do not already know,,,,,,just take a deep breath and it will be fine.  

Ha, yeah - getting into and out of the wetsuit is the bigger worry.  I'm going to try it on again tonight-- hopefully the net 3lbs I lost (recently put back on a couple after losing 5-6) will make it slightly less snug than the last time I tried it.

As far as wrecking the knee, I just mean skinned it... and bad.  Hannibal Lecter would be proud of the road.  I fell once when I couldn't unclip on the left onto a super gravelly part of road.  Tried to brush it off and get on with the riding, you know - act all hard and such, but was really cautious about unclipping and going slow from there on out.  I unclipped way before a stop going into a high-traffic area, but somehow as it's set to the easiest clip, I inadvertently clipped back IN when shifting my weight and then went down again on the already skinned knee.  I had to call it a day.  What am I saying "a day"???  I had to call it a month!  I haven't been back to it since!

I have no driveway.  Such is city living.  I have a nasty back lot shared by two restaurants and an ice cream shop.  And I wouldn't trust leaving an old crap bike or even a stinky pair of running sneaks there for a minute.  Transition practice for me will have to include unlocking two doors and going up to the second floor, including carrying the bike upstairs.  Let's just call it Urban XTERRA.

Tri clothes.  Shopping *can* be fun, but lately I hate my body, so I'm sort of meh about squeezing myself into some lycra and spandex.  Regardless, I think I've gotta go to a store to try stuff on -- historically, exercise clothing has been hit or miss with me.  Certain parts of me fit and others don't... anyway - should I try for a tri-specific store or go to an outdoor store like REI?  I don't know that REI has had much tri stuff in stock yet, but I haven't been by as of late.

And thanks for the vote of encouragement.  When I was ready to do my 1st last September (which got cancelled due to weather), I was sort of like, whatever, I can get in and roll with it.  I'm not sure now that I've been training more in each discipline why I feel less prepared!  I guess I feel I'm putting a little more pressure on myself to perform really well when I should just be thinking about finishing happy.  I guess I'm also trying not to think about that this one *might* be my only tri this year if timing gets in the way.

Hmmm... did I give you enough fuel to get a couple more posts outta this one?

2009-04-09 6:39 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
"I unclipped way before a stop going into a high-traffic area, but somehow as it's set to the easiest clip, I inadvertently clipped back IN when shifting my weight and then went down again on the already skinned knee.  I had to call it a day.  "

Too funny! The EXACT same thing happened to me the very first day i ventured out into clipless territory!! Felt like an idiot!

2009-04-09 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2074843

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
QueenZipp - 2009-04-09 6:44 PM

We aren't leaving you Mina.

I am freaking out about the anticipated water temp next week....mid 50's.  I don't have a tri specific wetsuit, my husband bought me a diving one and I don't have the heart to get rid of it...though I wonder if the dive shop would consider accepting it as a trade in towards a tri specific one (if they can get a tri specific for me)  Only wore it a few times.  I had a major meltdown swimming in it the first time I raced in it.  f the water weren't so cold I'd consider going without.

Yay!  You can all ditch my butt on May 11th if you have to, but not before then!!!

Is there anywher you could just rent a wetsuit for Bumpass?  Maybe at your local shop that gives you credit from a rental toward an eventual purchase?

I guess I should have put cold temps on the list of worries.  It's sort of last on my list, though.  My hands and feet DO NOT warm up easily after being cold (I've inherited some crappy circulation... thanks mom and dad!), but eh, if I can survive MA winter, I can survive a dip in ice water for 8 minutes.   Although, I guess if it were longer, it might be enough time to actually warm up though!
2009-04-09 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
I am SO glad you posted!!!   I've been in a slow decline here for 2 weeks, just panicking about the HIM in 3.5 weeks.  You really nailed my high (or low!) points.  I haven't even tried the wetsuit on since I bought it.  We're going to the lake where the HIM will be held tomorrow for an overnight practice.....which has me even more stressed, because it won't just be me, or us.  There will be witnesses to this disaster!   I'm the only newbie, and the only old lady.  Lycra isn't sounding good right now, nor is the wetsuit. 56 miles on my bike is REALLY not sounding good.  AND I hate to camp, and we're camping.  AND, coming home to host 14 for Easter dinner.  EGADS, can I whine any more?!?   What IS a tri-top?!?  I have a tight tank with a built-in bra that I thought I'd wear....does that sound right?

Everyone I've talked to around here tells me that they can't believe I'm doing Wildflower as my first.  WHY AM I?!?

Mina, I'm coming to you, we'll hide out somewhere together.  With no lycra, and lots of alcohol.

LindaCool
2009-04-09 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2074843

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
GREAT!  I hadn't even THOUGHT about water temp.  Make it number 18 on the list of panic items.  What's good?!?  I know I like it at 80 to work out in, and 78 to race in the pool.....

However, Judi, I do think you can rent a tri wetsuit at most races.....maybe look at the website for your event?

LindaCool
2009-04-09 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

running4beer - 2009-04-10 4:16 AM

ACK!

Hi Mina,

Helen has covered it really but Im going to add my thoughts anyway because I just cant helpmyself  

1. No comment

2.  x2 what Helen said - go get the springs in the pedals loosened. It makes it SO much easier to clip in and out if it hasnt already been done. Go to somewhere you feel safe, even an empty shopping mall car park works and practice...practice...practice. If you are uncomfortable leave one foot unclipped for starters!

You can also practice at home... just practice swinging your leg over the bike and clipping the first foot in as if ou were going to push off and start. The other practice at home is a little trickier but get in a door way/hallway/couch and get on your bike (if you have an obliging friend or SO they can hold your seat) then practice clipping in and out on the other foot as this will be the one you clip out and put down when you stop.

Here is a trick I used a lot when I started...I would give myself plenty of time to stop so clip out one foot early, slow right down (initially I never quite stopped before I put my foot down - not smart as you tend to slide a little but not disastrous either) and then tell myself to step down heel first (to try and avoid slidingon my cleats) (I have the other foot - the one still clipped in down aroundthe 6 o"clock position so Im just stepping down). Having a mental picture in my mind of how it was going to work BEFORE I did it really helped me!

3. I never practiced a transition either! But you can do it in your appartment really easily. First - make a list of all the gear for race day. Then... in your house set up your transition area with your towel underneath and your shoes/glasses/water bottle/hemet etc on top. Then work out how you are going to do it...

I know that I get out  of the swim and while jogging to my transition area I take off my goggles and cap ready place down when I get to my bike (not throw anywhere or they just end up in your way for t2 or you lose things.)

Then I have my  transition area set up with my on helmet on top of my bike shoes and facing upwards ready to put on my head and my shirt and sunglasses resting inside my helmet (I make sure the shirt is the rigt direction so I can just slide it on and my sunnies opened ready to throw on my face. So when I get there its in order.... sunnies, shirt, helment, shoes, grab bike and GO go go!

For T2 you rack the bike (dont forget you must have your helmet on and done up the entire time you are touching your bike) and switch shoes...you can also put a sunhat on top of your running shoes. 

I also have an additional water bottle in my transition area in case I want to either: take a gulp to clean my mouth out, run with it or need it to clean my feet off after the swim before putting my bike shoes on... I dry them on the towel if needed.

Basically visualise what you need to do at each transition, practice setting up your area - in a way that makes things really easy for you!

4 - Tri Clothes. I did my first ever race in a swimsuit with a tshirt and shorts over the top. The only thing is getting shorts on over the wet swimsuit was yuck!

Im self conscious about my body - whats worked for me is trishorts and a tri/swim top with a tech shirt/singlet over the top (I put the top on in T1) or a one piece tri suit with a tech shirt/singlet over the top.  Im used to riding in lycrashorts so I can deal with my bottom half exposed and the really light tech fabric top means the top underneath still dries quickly but also the areas Im self conscious about are flattered a bit more! Plus because its a bit loose its easy to throw on at T1 without loosing any real time

5 - HAVE FUN!!!! This is all about the fun and this race will be like a learning experience on how it all works so dont worry you wont be the only first timer! If on race day you have questions ASK them... talk to the person racked next to you, the people waiting for your wave to start in the swim etc

I am so excited for you!

Cat

2009-04-09 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2074997

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

velcromom - 2009-04-09 6:59 PM GREAT!  I hadn't even THOUGHT about water temp.  Make it number 18 on the list of panic items.  What's good?!?  I know I like it at 80 to work out in, and 78 to race in the pool.....

However, Judi, I do think you can rent a tri wetsuit at most races.....maybe look at the website for your event?

LindaCool

I'm combining the answers to your questions from both posts here....

Tri top is similar to a bike jersey but more fitting.  Pockets for gu, snacks, spare tube/CO2 cartridges.

Water temp in mid 70-80 is okay but kinda warm for racing. The core gets too warm and overheats creating a recipe for a long day if you don't get enough hydration/electrolytes in.  Folks in New Orleans last weekend said on LOOP1 of the bike there was NO GATORADE.  Not a good thing on a hot day to only have water.

I am actually going to PM Artemis (Jen) to see if I can borrow her wetsuit.  She has a tri specific suit and I could get it next week after work.  I am going to call my local dive shop though and see if they'll be willing to get a tri specific with a trade in of the other suit.  Otherwise I may have to learn how to sell something on ebay

I hate being cold.  I have thyroid function from a bottle (seriously) so I get cold easily.  Someone posted on the race forum that weather is predicted mid 60's and rainy right now with water 55-57.

Big key for you will be getting in the lake and RELAXING.  Start off towards the back of the pack.  Give yourself space.    Also, some races will give you a different color cap from your wave if you're nervous so the kayakers can watch out for you.  If you dig in my RR's you can find Cayuga Lake 2007....my first ever OWS race.  It took over 30 min to do 750 meters cause I had a major meltdown in the lake. Had a kayaker follow me the whole swim. 

You can make up a bad swim with a good bike and run split.  I was last out of the water in that race, but passed a whole lot of folks on the bike and run who had kicked my tail in the lake.

2009-04-09 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2075068

User image

Champion
Sydney
QueenZipp - 2009-04-10 10:40 AM

velcromom - 2009-04-09 6:59 PM GREAT!  I hadn't even THOUGHT about water temp.  Make it number 18 on the list of panic items.  What's good?!?  I know I like it at 80 to work out in, and 78 to race in the pool.....

LindaCool

You can make up a bad swim with a good bike and run split.  I was last out of the water in that race, but passed a whole lot of folks on the bike and run who had kicked my tail in the lake.

Judi is wise.. Im a good swimmer and loose a whole lot of places, especially in the run!

2009-04-09 10:18 PM

User image

Champion
MA
You girls were all busy chatting today while I was away from my computer. Most everything has been covered.

Mina, Marianne and I have talked about having a ows party/transition practice in early May out by her in a shallow pond that warms up. I attended a clinic my coach put on and we did transition practice and it was both fun and great practice. I'll talk to Marianne about it again. I'm going to FL for a big chunk of the end of April so I won't be back for a weekend the first weekend in May and would be have to be Saturday as we're racing Sunday.

Tri tops are very different than other tops as they dry quickly and are form fitting. Sure you could use something else but if you plan to be a triathlete invest in top and shorts now as they are really better. Fastsplits in Newton is a good choice and they have lots of sale stuff. Quad multisports has a good selection as well. Some bike shops have a limited selection. Tri shorts usually have a small fleece peice as a chamois which is little comfort benefit. Anyone doing a longer tri like HIM or IM consider getting tri shorts with better chamois...Oomph has a great distance pad and it is my choice for HIM or IM distance race.

2009-04-09 10:32 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Great advice all!  Our teammate PacMo has her first tri coming up and she is worried that someone told her she has to have a wet suit and lots more stuff she hadn't planned on.  Leave her an inspire and your wise words if you have a chance.

I can't imagine trying on a wetsuit in private never mind actually appearing in a public place in one.  Since thus far all my races are short distances and in the heat of summer, I am able to avoid making that decision for now.
2009-04-10 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2075363

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

KOM - 2009-04-09 10:32 PM Great advice all!  Our teammate PacMo has her first tri coming up and she is worried that someone told her she has to have a wet suit and lots more stuff she hadn't planned on.  Leave her an inspire and your wise words if you have a chance.

I can't imagine trying on a wetsuit in private never mind actually appearing in a public place in one.  Since thus far all my races are short distances and in the heat of summer, I am able to avoid making that decision for now.

Thanks for letting u know, I hadn't made my way over this mornong when I checked in then I saw this and stopped by

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71