BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-03-22 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3408957

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-03-22 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3408042

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED!
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-22 6:58 AM

phxphotog - 2011-03-22 3:25 AM So I have about 2 weeks left of peak training and then I'm going to do a 7 day taper for my HIM. Any suggestions on what type of volume I should be doing? Should I take some days completely off? I was guessing that Saturday I would just register and get my bike racked. I really want to be on fresh but ready legs and arms come April 10th.

I think a 7 day taper is smart.

What I do is less volume but maintain intensity, ie; if I swim I do harder swim sets, but fewer yards.

x2 - what Fred said works like a charm for me as well. Try it and see if it works for you next race - it took me a lot of years to learn that!

2011-03-22 6:38 PM
in reply to: #3408656

Master
...at home in The ATL

wiky - 2011-03-22 1:11 PM I've been happy with my desoto first wave + speed tube.  

Same here - I have the Desoto suite: First Wave Bibjohn, sleeved pullover top, speedvest top, and speedtube bottom. The two piece design is awesome and incredibly easy to get in to and out of fast. being able to mix and match all the pieces to get the perfect suit for any race is also a plus. I have only raced in the full sleeve top a couple of times, but it is very comfortable and flexible. I use the speedvest and bibjohn a good bit, or the speedvest and speedtube together. The speedtube all by it self ROCKS for big, popular races where the director will do just about anything to get a wetsuit legal temp reading on race day  (St. Anthony's, anyone?).

2011-03-22 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3408667

Champion
MA
wiky - 2011-03-22 1:17 PM
phxphotog - 2011-03-21 5:56 PM

I know there are people of all levels in this group and what works for competitive people probably wouldn't work for me. Maybe next year I'll get a coach that can take me to the next level but for now, I'm just winging it.

WHile I think a coach would help most of us improve, I really enjoy 'wining it'.  I don't think I'd enjoy a program that is too structured - too many unpredictable elements in my life.  I think I could do well with a coach that gave me a few key workouts to do each week (or even every two weeks) with a rough order in which they should be done.

For those of you that are coached (I forget who, besides Fred), how do your coaches operate?  Do you have a specific structure to follow, or is it pretty flexible?

I've have used a coach since 2005 and over the years used 3 different coaches.

Currently my coach does my plan for the week on Sunday, based on my previous weeks training and my life constraints and also somewhat my desires. For example if weather is going to be nice on Tuesday we try to take advantage of that to get outside ride in during this iffy weather season. If life changes we talk about changing the plan.

For me having a coach makes training easier, I just do the workouts and don't have to figure out what goes where during the week or what I need to work on at certain time of the season.

2011-03-22 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3406783

Master
...at home in The ATL
GoFaster - 2011-03-21 12:08 PM
Fred Doucette - 2011-03-21 11:16 AM

jsiegs - 2011-03-21 9:58 AM Todd - I've never heard of doing a triple brick...where did the plan for that come from?  Just curious since I've never heard of it.

Yeah, it's not a new concept. Essentially it's based on the 'EPIC' training day stuff that some plans use.

Some have you do like a 2,000 yard swim, immediately followed by a 50 mile ride and then a 10 mile run etc.

Kind of a race prep test. The triple brick just takes out the swim and gets you used to training on fatigue.

I've not done them, but not an uncommon practice.

So here's my question (not picking on you Todd) - what value do each of you place on the type of triple brick that Todd has just completed?  Does it have a lot of value, not as much as some believe - do you follow this type of training philosophy, etc?

Back in the "good old days," the term "brick" always referred to these kinds of workouts. A bike followed by a run was called a "run off," and a run followed by a bike was referred to as a "bike off." We used to do these a lot - usually with a bike trainer set up on the track. Anywhere from 3~10 minutes on the trainer, then 400s, 800s, 1200s (ugh) or mile repeats. Repeat ad nauseum. I have found that threshold bike intervals separated by a nice round of cycle squats does PLENTY to give me "tough legs," so I haven't done this type of workout in a long time. Where I did find workouts similar to Todd's to be helpful for me most recently was in prep for adventure racing (where there is a good chance that you might actually have to such in an actual race over a couple of days) as well as in ultra running, where it allowed me to train running with fatigued legs without all the pounding that simple running would cause.

What is funny, is if there were a race set up like Todd's workout, we would probably all sign up for it just for the challenge, and might even train for it specifically. It is easy to forget that just doing a day like that can be fun, and that is A-OK in my book. I think we talked about a while back, but sometimes we train to get better at a particular format of race. Other times we get out and do "crazy" stuff just because we like the challenge, and the confidence that successfully completing those challenges bring. Awesome all around!

2011-03-22 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3256949

Champion
MA
I've had 4 wetsuits over the years and find the two piece style of DeSoto works much better for me. That confined tight feeling of one piece suit I don't have and it is just more comfortable.

2011-03-22 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3409391

Master
...at home in The ATL
KathyG - 2011-03-22 7:55 PM

I know there are people of all levels in this group and what works for competitive people probably wouldn't work for me. Maybe next year I'll get a coach that can take me to the next level but for now, I'm just winging it.

WHile I think a coach would help most of us improve, I really enjoy 'wining it'.  I don't think I'd enjoy a program that is too structured - too many unpredictable elements in my life.  I think I could do well with a coach that gave me a few key workouts to do each week (or even every two weeks) with a rough order in which they should be done.

For those of you that are coached (I forget who, besides Fred), how do your coaches operate?  Do you have a specific structure to follow, or is it pretty flexible?

I've have used a coach since 2005 and over the years used 3 different coaches.

Currently my coach does my plan for the week on Sunday, based on my previous weeks training and my life constraints and also somewhat my desires. For example if weather is going to be nice on Tuesday we try to take advantage of that to get outside ride in during this iffy weather season. If life changes we talk about changing the plan.

For me having a coach makes training easier, I just do the workouts and don't have to figure out what goes where during the week or what I need to work on at certain time of the season.

I am still rather new to coaching, but went "all-in" this year. We talk as much as either of us want (I actually got admonished a little yesterday for not calling enough). I take advantage of 1 on 1 swim coaching and nutrition advice, and have access to individual run and bike instruction if I need it. I have switched over to a 7 day build-out until the end of school, but will probably go back to a 9 day cycle in May. Like Kathy, the plan is built out based on the metrics from the previous builds and my projected work/travel schedule, and is adjustable daily based on how my schedule changed. There have also been several occasions where my build has been adjusted during a week because I am exceeding my targets in some way - that has not always been a pleasant call to get! Wink

Who knows if all this will make me race better? Thus far the most significant quantitative improvements that I attribute directly to coaching are on my swim endurance and physical toughness on the run. The biggest qualitative aspect is (also echoing Kathy) the freedom from second guessing yourself and accountability that comes with some one else putting all this together for you and then looking at it and critiquing it on a daily basis.

2011-03-22 8:50 PM

Expert

I have an Xterra Vortex 3 and i love it. It makes me float so much in the water I know that there is now way I'm drowning in that thing.

Someone had said something about a repeat triathlon where you do short intervals of each over and over again. There is such a race and it's called 24 hours of triathlon. Here's some info on it:

Newton 24 & 8 Hours of Triathlon are continuous loop short course road triathlons with a 0.24 mile swim, 11.2 mile bike and 2.6 mile run. Athlete’s compete to cover the most number of laps in 8 hours or 24 hours in the swim - bike - run or bike - run format. The winning relay team/solo in each category is the one that covers the greatest number of legs/laps in the allotted time, and if there are relay teams/solos completing the same number of laps, then the fastest team/solo on their final lap is the winner. There is no night swimming.

2011-03-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3409601

Master
...at home in The ATL
phxphotog - 2011-03-22 9:50 PM

I have an Xterra Vortex 3 and i love it. It makes me float so much in the water I know that there is now way I'm drowning in that thing.

Someone had said something about a repeat triathlon where you do short intervals of each over and over again. There is such a race and it's called 24 hours of triathlon. Here's some info on it:

Newton 24 & 8 Hours of Triathlon are continuous loop short course road triathlons with a 0.24 mile swim, 11.2 mile bike and 2.6 mile run. Athlete’s compete to cover the most number of laps in 8 hours or 24 hours in the swim - bike - run or bike - run format. The winning relay team/solo in each category is the one that covers the greatest number of legs/laps in the allotted time, and if there are relay teams/solos completing the same number of laps, then the fastest team/solo on their final lap is the winner. There is no night swimming.

Aw, nuts - it is the same weekend of IMLP - otherwise I would be down for that - seriously. See, I don't know about you all, but I just cannot help myself...
2011-03-22 9:26 PM

Master
South Alabama
Hey everyone-5 schools down with 3 to go.  Spending the night in Princeton NJ and forecast is cold and wet the next 2 days with a chance of snow.  UGH!  Can't really complain as weather has been great so far.  I've been able to get some runs in but thats it. 

Randy
2011-03-22 11:57 PM

Expert

So last mentor group I posted some before and after pictures so I thought I would do it again. I haven't lost as much weight as I should but I also eat a lot of crap. I still have a long way to go in all aspects of this sport. When I started this journey in January of 2010, I couldn't run once around the track and I could barely ride 10 miles. I couldn't swim 25 yds without being completely wasted and wanting to give up. I was 216 pounds.

14 months later I can run a 1/2 marathon, bike over 60 miles and swim 2 miles. I am 185 pounds.

Edited by phxphotog 2011-03-23 12:09 AM

2011-03-23 12:16 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Way to go Todd!  You have come a long way!

I am proud of youSmile

2011-03-23 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3409795

Master
...at home in The ATL
I see ribs!Really awesome work, Todd.Question for you (and maybe others in the group too?):When you became interested in triathlon, was weightless your primary motivator or is it simply a side effect? Is it still?
2011-03-23 6:18 AM

Master
Baltimore
Congrats Todd!
2011-03-23 6:49 AM

Master
Lexington, KY
Nice work Todd!
2011-03-23 7:50 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congradulatios Todd!It's great to see results like that, yes.

2011-03-23 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3408708

Master
Baltimore
GoFaster - 2011-03-22 1:38 PM

I actually think I would work really well with a structured coaching plan, but just don't have the money to afford a coach.  Also, I'm not really big on the BT plans - too much zone 2, zone 2, zone 2 - for my liking, and I want something catered to power/hr and pace/hr. 

So, I'm looking at Jorge's semi-personalized plan.  You basically fill out the registration, have a conversation with him, and he'll set you up with your first 4 week block plan.  It's a cookie cutter program, but semi-individualized since it's geared towards your goals/strengths/weaknesses.  After 3 weeks, you followup and you get your next 4 week block that is semi-based on what you've just done and whether your focus needs to transition, stay the same, etc.

This may work well for you Rob, because he states explicitly that the plans will not be tailored to the individual (only at a semi level), and you would be responsible for tweaking the plan, changing/dropping workouts, etc.  You also get access to a private BT forum to ask any questions you want.

My HIM isn't until Sept, and I'm following a HM plan at the moment.  End of April I'm planning to transition to his 20 week HIM plan.

I'm doing exactly that with a local coach and am pretty happy so far.  FWIW, this coach and Jorge are both active with Dr. Skiba and either developed a lot of the modeling and basis for his software and books with him and/or use it for training methodology.  He has done a LOT analyzing my past workouts and races and developing a progression on the bike and run.  He identified a big weakness in my running in that my fatigue rate is way too high (something I knew as well and the reason I ran so much in the off season) as the run length increases and is targeting fixing that.  He is a friend as well, so i'm comfortable giving him a lot of pushback against things I'm not sure about or don't agree with.  It is comforting to hear him defend it and basically convince me why he's right (he usually does).  Another good thing is the key long workouts/bricks where he's forcing me to focus on nutrition to nail down a race strategy (e.g. figuring out how a higher intensity on the bike might impact my ability to keep calories down).  So it's not just "figure out your nutrition" its specifics like "ride for x time at y intensity and target 1.5 cal/pound/hr on the bike before transitioning to a run"  depending on what happened, that will affect the next try. 

My only complaint is that he calls me Josephine a lot because I'm a big wuss, especially with swimming.  I'd be willing to bet Jorge won't bring your manhood into quesiton though

2011-03-23 8:44 AM
in reply to: #3409871

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
TankBoy - 2011-03-23 6:55 AMI see ribs!Really awesome work, Todd.Question for you (and maybe others in the group too?):When you became interested in triathlon, was weightless your primary motivator or is it simply a side effect? Is it still?
Rusty,I was skinny non athletic kid. Only until I went into the military (age 18) did I become athletic. I actually started bodybuilding, running short distances and a few hundred setup and push up a day before I went in. After I was in the military my focus turned to running, cycling and then endurance events. So I guess to answer your question no I didn't get into triathlete for weight loss.
2011-03-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3410101

Master
...at home in The ATL
jsiegs - 2011-03-23 9:21 AM 

My only complaint is that he calls me Josephine a lot because I'm a big wuss, especially with swimming.  I'd be willing to bet Jorge won't bring your manhood into quesiton though

Way too Hilarious! That is what friends are for.

FWIW, whenever my "manhood" is called into question, I always take it as a compliment.

Edited by TankBoy 2011-03-23 8:51 AM
2011-03-23 9:03 AM

Expert
Thanks for the kind words. I got into triathlons because I needed something to push me at the gym. I've been working out for years but I wasn't losing any weight or really toning up. I've realized that consistent volume and intensity are the keys to losing weight. I think unless I control my diet I'm probably stuck where I'm at and I haven't made that commitment yet. After my HIM, I'm going to take some time off from organized training and I really want to start to work on my nutrition plan. I don't really have one. I ate a big mac for dinner and chipotle for lunch. Those don't work so well in a weight loss program.
2011-03-23 9:29 AM

Elite
Ontario

Todd - great job on the weightloss.

Rusty - no way did I get into Tri's to lose weight.  I was 6', 170lbs when I started, and it took a couple of years of lifting just to get to that weight.  Now I weigh 153lbs, same as high school.  I eat a lot, simply to maintain my weight - my goal is to not drop into the 140's!

2011-03-23 9:39 AM

Champion
MA

Todd you have accomplished a lot in your time training...changed your body in many ways over last year plus!

Congrats!

2011-03-23 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3410101

Master
Lexington, KY
jsiegs - 2011-03-23 9:21 AM
GoFaster - 2011-03-22 1:38 PM

I actually think I would work really well with a structured coaching plan, but just don't have the money to afford a coach.  Also, I'm not really big on the BT plans - too much zone 2, zone 2, zone 2 - for my liking, and I want something catered to power/hr and pace/hr. 

So, I'm looking at Jorge's semi-personalized plan.  You basically fill out the registration, have a conversation with him, and he'll set you up with your first 4 week block plan.  It's a cookie cutter program, but semi-individualized since it's geared towards your goals/strengths/weaknesses.  After 3 weeks, you followup and you get your next 4 week block that is semi-based on what you've just done and whether your focus needs to transition, stay the same, etc.

This may work well for you Rob, because he states explicitly that the plans will not be tailored to the individual (only at a semi level), and you would be responsible for tweaking the plan, changing/dropping workouts, etc.  You also get access to a private BT forum to ask any questions you want.

My HIM isn't until Sept, and I'm following a HM plan at the moment.  End of April I'm planning to transition to his 20 week HIM plan.

I'm doing exactly that with a local coach and am pretty happy so far.  FWIW, this coach and Jorge are both active with Dr. Skiba and either developed a lot of the modeling and basis for his software and books with him and/or use it for training methodology.  He has done a LOT analyzing my past workouts and races and developing a progression on the bike and run.  He identified a big weakness in my running in that my fatigue rate is way too high (something I knew as well and the reason I ran so much in the off season) as the run length increases and is targeting fixing that.  He is a friend as well, so i'm comfortable giving him a lot of pushback against things I'm not sure about or don't agree with.  It is comforting to hear him defend it and basically convince me why he's right (he usually does).  Another good thing is the key long workouts/bricks where he's forcing me to focus on nutrition to nail down a race strategy (e.g. figuring out how a higher intensity on the bike might impact my ability to keep calories down).  So it's not just "figure out your nutrition" its specifics like "ride for x time at y intensity and target 1.5 cal/pound/hr on the bike before transitioning to a run"  depending on what happened, that will affect the next try. 

You guys are good salesmen for Jorge and his colleagues.    And I'm pretty sure I'd be known as 'Roberta' when it comes to swim training.

2011-03-23 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3410157

Master
Lexington, KY

tasr - 2011-03-23 9:44 AM
TankBoy - 2011-03-23 6:55 AMI see ribs!Really awesome work, Todd.Question for you (and maybe others in the group too?):When you became interested in triathlon, was weightless your primary motivator or is it simply a side effect? Is it still?
Rusty,I was skinny non athletic kid. Only until I went into the military (age 18) did I become athletic. I actually started bodybuilding, running short distances and a few hundred setup and push up a day before I went in. After I was in the military my focus turned to running, cycling and then endurance events. So I guess to answer your question no I didn't get into triathlete for weight loss.

I got into tri's the first time purely for fun when I was young and lean.

I got into tri's the second time primarily to get fit and lose weight.  Thankfully, after a couple years of training, weight loss is no longer an issue.

2011-03-23 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3410214

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred Doucette's Half-Iron and Ironman Focused Group! -CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 76