BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-22 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4274911

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
jmkizer - 2012-06-22 8:51 AM

We have lots of Racing Manatees this weekend!

Go Manatees!  Go!

• Jen - Henricus Dauber Dash on Saturday
  • Melanie - Run for the Ages 10k on Sunday
  • Felicia - El Dorado Lake Sprint on Sunday
  • Kirsten - Scotiabank Vancouver Half Marathon on Sunday
  • Yanti - Bali International Triathlon - Sprint on Sunday

Good luck to Melanie, Felicia, Kirsten, and Yanti!!!  Hope you all have great races.

2012-06-22 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4275179

User image

Master
Artemis - 2012-06-22 7:42 AM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Yay!!  I'm on the list!

My race tomorrow is a 5 mile race with 12 obstacles - running through the river, over hay bales, and finishes with a mud pit!  It should be really fun!!

That sounds like a riot, Jen!  Have a great time!  Good luck to all you other racin' manatees too! 

2012-06-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #4275031

User image

Master
Orlando
Tripopo - 2012-06-22 8:40 AM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Go Racing Manatees!!!

YES, GO MANATEES GO!!

2012-06-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4275134

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2012-06-22 10:19 AM
rrrunner - 2012-06-22 10:16 PM
jmkizer - 2012-06-22 6:51 AM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Go get 'em racers! We will live vicariously through your race reports. Cool

I already went and got 'em ... post-race treat. Cool

Can he please come and bring me a post-race beer and give me a post-race massage?  kthnxbai

2012-06-22 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4275672

User image

Elite
Artemis - 2012-06-22 1:11 PM
TriAya - 2012-06-22 10:19 AM
rrrunner - 2012-06-22 10:16 PM
jmkizer - 2012-06-22 6:51 AM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Go get 'em racers! We will live vicariously through your race reports. Cool

I already went and got 'em ... post-race treat. Cool

Can he please come and bring me a post-race beer and give me a post-race massage?  kthnxbai

Yum!!!!!  The sun is shining here in Melbourne this morning and i am itching to go for a run but first i wanna get the bedlinen in the washing machine and DH is still sleeping - grrr get up!  As soon as that is in I'm off - just 10km and a real run:walk pace gonna enjoy this beautiful winter morning take some pics down the beach.

3pm swim squad coz that pic has made me feel the need to see fit men in speedos and of course Coach Johnny on the deck.  so why do we do triathlon.....well I know why I do!!!

Go all the racing MANATEES today/tomorrow. 

Im jealous - feeling lost with no plan and no race! 

I got breakfast with my bestie tomorrow (Sunday) and my coach is meeting me after - looking forward to a solid plan.  woohoo!

2012-06-22 6:22 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Coastal Carolina

Got home and went for a run, hadn't really planned on it but was feeling waaaay too frustrated with work so wanted to burn some of it off before DW got home.  Good run at least so there is that.  Enjoy your friday nights/saturday mornings manatees I'm off to find a cold frosty recovery drink...

2012-06-22 8:05 PM
in reply to: #4270179

User image

Extreme Veteran
hahahaha I know that face!
2012-06-22 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4270879

User image

Extreme Veteran
cdban66 - 2012-06-20 7:14 AM
jobaxas - 2012-06-19 10:23 PM

Been for a lunchtime run - brrrrr - it's 8 degrees Celsius (46F) and windy so feels a lot colder.  Not often I keep my long sleeves on for a run.  I did 5.7km in 38mins - not Salty standards but I'm impressed!

I'm now having a delicious toasted cheese and tuna sandwich followed by a slab of cheesecake - oh well!

Wind trainer tonight - aiming for 45mins.

Oh excitement, the coach from the tri club called - we are meeting on sunday go through goals, structure a plan and a program - I'm so excited!  Makes it all seem real!  come on Ironman!

Cool, it is all real indeed. And you will do awesome!!! Bring it on.

Jo, your enegy and commitment to training is truly inspiring.  I can't wait to watch you kick Ironman @$$!

2012-06-22 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4271127

User image

Extreme Veteran
jogo - 2012-06-20 9:31 AM
TriAya - 2012-06-20 9:07 AM
jogo - 2012-06-20 6:43 PM

ATTENTION!!  I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!  THIS IS HUGE!! (at least in my little world)

I probably have to get some swims in to.  It seems like months (and it has been) since I have been in the saddle or the swim.   I'm thinking easy 60 minutes total of 2 different disciplines every day for the next 2 weeks.   Swim is 500m, Bike is 11 miles, Run is 5k.   I should be able to get those distances in a couple of times a week and stick to 60 minutes/day (maybe more on the weekends).  I got to get my body used to moving again.  Easy will be the word.  Lets have some fun!!!

Oh, you can bang out a 11 mile bike, no problem.  I feel like if you are fit enough to run a marathon, you can bike up to 20 miles, no biggie.  Get some swim practice in to get the feel of it again and you will do GREAT! Just remember to have fun - I don't knot the back story of biz-natch-tri-Jo, but tell her to take a chill pill and let have-fun-kick-@ss-take-names Jo enjoy her day with training buddies!

2012-06-22 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4270916

User image

Extreme Veteran

cdban66 - 2012-06-20 7:45 AM I am currently fighting two aspects of swimming. Form and desire. Other than that, I'm good to go. I got out of the pool last night and just sat in a chair with my head down wondering why I bother. I was a complete wienie last night at home, so much so that my wife said "I'm going shopping, you stay here and clear your head". She even suggested coaching when she got home. With a daughter getting married and our anniversary coming this year, money is tight, so it really isn't an option. So I pulled myself outta my funk, cranked up the laptop and started searching youtube for help on form. Now if I can put it, the wisdom I've heard here, and some water mojo all into play, I should be OK. I think I'll hit the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and see if it helps break the pool lap funk. I hope that everyone enjoys the day! Get out and do something if you can.

Have you read the Sheila T book? I bought it b/c everyone on this forum was raving about it, and I'm really understanding what she's saying.  NOw, I haven't swam in 2 weeks and, therefore, haven't put the wisdom to practice, BUT I've done some air swimming and I feel like I know what to focus on. 

2012-06-22 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4271687

User image

Extreme Veteran

bcraht - 2012-06-20 1:01 PM BTW, I don't begrudge anyone changing their avatar/profile pic, but it really confused the HECK out of me!  Sealed

Right! Janyne was like a stranger, until I saw the signature!

2012-06-22 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So I just caught up with probably over a week of posts.  I"ve missed you guys!! I"m trying to cut back on Manatee time while at work, but with training and trying to get the women's bar (aka lawyer) journal edited by today, I've been to busy to get on at night. 

I can relate to Melanie and others who expressed lack of motivation.  I"ve only been swimming TWICE since the May 13 tri...TWICE! How is that possible?? I"m slated to hit the lake tomorrow with some training buddies, and I've started Sheila T's book, so I"ll try to apply some of that.  I think I'm definitely limited by my weak delts.  My arms just get so tired so fast.  I've got to whip myself into shape though, because I've got a sprint with a 1/2 mile lake swim in THREE weeks...then there's that pesky Oly on Aug. 26...I need to make myself think that is right around the corner so that I get my butt in the water.  I've bailed on masters club on Tues AM too...bad bad girl.

But I did hit the roads yesterday in 90+ heat for a 24 mile interval ride, and had a great track session Wed. morning (like, fastest 400s I've ever laid down - 1:48 on my last rep.  HOly crap, that is fast for me. Didn't know I had it in these stumpy legg, lol).

In other news (yeah, I know, no one asked, but here is some more info on MIA me), I joined WEight WAtchers on MOnday and lost 2.4 lbs as of this morning! Woohoo!!! THe scale hasn't moved like that, despite all my training, since before my wedding - in October!!! So, I'm really really excited and committed to following that plan.

I"m glad to hear everyone is generally doing well (exception - Kate, sorry about your car. That sucks)...we had some rough weeks for many Manatees for a while there.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

2012-06-22 10:05 PM
in reply to: #4276255

User image

Elite
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-22 8:19 PM

Been for a lunchtime run - brrrrr - it's 8 degrees Celsius (46F) and windy so feels a lot colder.  Not often I keep my long sleeves on for a run.  I did 5.7km in 38mins - not Salty standards but I'm impressed!

I'm now having a delicious toasted cheese and tuna sandwich followed by a slab of cheesecake - oh well!

Oh excitement, the coach from the tri club called - we are meeting on sunday go through goals, structure a plan and a program - I'm so excited!  Makes it all seem real!  come on Ironman!

Jo, your enegy and commitment to training is truly inspiring.  I can't wait to watch you kick Ironman @$$!

Thank you so much!  Manatees rock.  No-one else motivates me or gives me this great feedback I love it!  Makes it all worthwhile!  In my mind i'm still the sloth who doesn't like sports and doesn't run - and that is how most people in my life view me.  Only the ones i've met since starting triathlon see this different person. 

2012-06-22 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4276262

User image

Elite
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-22 8:27 PM

cdban66 - 2012-06-20 7:45 AM I am currently fighting two aspects of swimming. Form and desire. Other than that, I'm good to go. I got out of the pool last night and just sat in a chair with my head down wondering why I bother. I was a complete wienie last night at home, so much so that my wife said "I'm going shopping, you stay here and clear your head". She even suggested coaching when she got home. With a daughter getting married and our anniversary coming this year, money is tight, so it really isn't an option. So I pulled myself outta my funk, cranked up the laptop and started searching youtube for help on form. Now if I can put it, the wisdom I've heard here, and some water mojo all into play, I should be OK. I think I'll hit the Gulf of Mexico this weekend and see if it helps break the pool lap funk. I hope that everyone enjoys the day! Get out and do something if you can.

Have you read the Sheila T book? I bought it b/c everyone on this forum was raving about it, and I'm really understanding what she's saying.  NOw, I haven't swam in 2 weeks and, therefore, haven't put the wisdom to practice, BUT I've done some air swimming and I feel like I know what to focus on. 

Read it very recently and now all those things that Coach Johnny has been yelling finally make sense coz i have pictures to match!  And let me tell you the difference in the pool is amazing, suddenly I feel I'm propelling myself forward through the water, not fighting it, not going nowhere.  It's a great book, I need now to re-read it and keep practicing.

Swim squad this afternoon!

2012-06-23 2:47 AM
in reply to: #4273242

User image

England
Tripopo - 2012-06-21 3:28 PM
jogo - 2012-06-21 7:17 AM 

In honor of signing up for a tri, I swam last night.  Only 500m (that is the length of the swim at the tri) but I didn't drown and actually PR'd my time.  Of course it was in a pool so that time is insignificant but I didn't have to be pulled off the bottom so that is a good thing. 

I have to add that I had intentions of biking but it was 98 degrees at 7pm so I chose not to make myself sick and never want to bike again.  I tend to do that.  I don't bike and then my 1st trainer ride I'll go 3 hours and feel so  sick after that I don't ever want to bike again.  I didn't want that sick feeling my 1st time back on the bike so I will bike tonight.  It is in my car and I am meeting some peeps for a shady, hilly ride tonight.

My rant of the day:  I took my dog's in for their yearly check ups and shots. $408 for 2 dogs!!!! Nothing special just routine shots.  I didn't even allow blood work.  Seriously, frickin' expensive.  No wonder people don't take their animals to the vets for well checks. 

Great Job on the Swim!!  PR first time back out is always a plus, means you forgot the bad habits you had I think.  I hear you on the heat upper 90's here today so not sure if my ride will happen either.

Suggestion for you on the bike tune up, if you have a smart phone there is an app called bike repair, it's very easy and walks you through how to do most basic maintenance with pictures and videos it is helpful to me at least.

I've been fighting the 'Meh' bug as well and haven't done any training in almost a week going to get a swim in today and maybe a bike...  Hopefully.

Stop it with the nice weather comments already. We are suffering flooding and the wettest June in recorded history here in the UK! (you got out at the right time Jo)

2012-06-23 2:56 AM
in reply to: #4274316

User image

England

cdban66 - 2012-06-21 11:55 PM OK, I gotta brag a bit. Today was double run day for me, once in the morning and again in the evening. The evening run was because my wife asked me to run with her. She is on W5D3 of the C25K program and tonight was a 20 minute run. Nonstop. Her LONGEST ever. And I got to run with her. For those that do this every day, it may be no big deal, but for her, just starting and really trying to not hate the whole thing... Well, it was awesome. Watching the smile spread on her face and hearing her say "F*&$ Yeah, I got this!" was inspiring. A bit rude, funny actually, for the YMCA, but really cool none the less. I could not be prouder! OK, back to your regularly scheduled thread. Thanks for indulging me.

I know where you're coming from (see post below). It's great. Tell her we are all behind her and hope are sure she will do great.

2012-06-23 3:03 AM
in reply to: #4274911

User image

England
jmkizer - 2012-06-22 1:51 PM

Go Manatees!  Go!

GOOD LUCK YOU RACING MANATEES. GO GET EM (EXCEPT YOU YANTI, YOU BETTER FINISH DFL OR WE'LL KNOW YOU TRIED)

2012-06-23 3:06 AM
in reply to: #4274498

User image

England
kgore - 2012-06-22 2:15 AM

yeah, I hear ya on the vet bills--I hate to admit it, but I rarely take my dog or kitties to the vet, just cause I can't afford it! If they do have issues, I take them in and will take care of all the normal stuff too, and thankfully, they're all mostly indoor (cats always, dog goes outside to poop and play, that's it) so they're issues are rare and minor generally. (>>>knocks on wood<<

So today I got to work, and found out I couldn't park in our secure staff parking lot (if we park outside of it we have a substantial chance of our vehicles being broken into; I immediately brought in my wetsuit and swim gear---NO way was I leaving those to chance!!!) because a huge tree limb fell and was blocking the entire driveway--and it was on a phone line! Fun. After about 2 hours, I was able to move my truck inside, at which point I noticed a small patch of coolant on the ground underneath...great. It looks like my radiator has sprung a leak. It also looks like it will cost $99-$200 just for a new (to me) radiator--not counting labor, if Clint can install it...Luckily, my truck is still running well aside from that and holding its temps well. I am worried that it will take all of (heh, "all"--like I really have ANY) my disposable income to fix it--as well as my bike! Honestly, right now I am thinking that with these crappy expenses and my truck possibly being somewhat out of commission, I might not do my July sprint--Which isn't a HUGE deal to me, as it was just to see if I improved over the last year's time...but I AM looking forward to it....I just don't know. I guess I'll have to wait and see 1. what is truly wrong with the truck (maybe just a hose? *hope*) and 2. if I can afford the fixing of said truck.  >sigh<

On the bright side, we picked up our 35 young California Tiger Salamanders today--and they might be some of the cutest things I have EVER seen! I will post pics as soon as I can, as everyone should bask in their cuteness! Smile

Hope the truck issues aren't too expensive. I hate unexpected bills that force changes. Get out on the Tri if you can. It will be good for your soul.

2012-06-23 3:12 AM

User image

Elite

Didn't make swim squad decided my hair colour was important enough not to get wet on the day I did it!

Gonna ride the trainer tomorrow coz it's still raining!  I may build an ark.

On the upside I got my bedlinen dry on the line and it's back on the bed smelling delightful, cannot wait to get in it again.

Was a bit hormonal miserable today but have now had a beer and feel mellow and lovely!  ha!  off out for dinner with my sister in law who is visiting from Greece.  She is in the process of getting passports etc organised for herself, husband and 5 year old triplets to emigrate to Australia!  Woohoo!

Greece is not the place to be right now.....unless you're on an island holidaying.  I'm rambling, it's the beer!

2012-06-23 3:15 AM
in reply to: #4276262

User image

England
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-23 2:27 AM

OOh air swimming. I like the sound of that. I think i have found a way of following Jo's swim workouts.

2012-06-23 3:22 AM
in reply to: #4276355

User image

England
jobaxas - 2012-06-23 4:05 AM
ArielLIlB - 2012-06-22 8:19 PM

Thank you so much!  Manatees rock.  No-one else motivates me or gives me this great feedback I love it!  Makes it all worthwhile!  In my mind i'm still the sloth who doesn't like sports and doesn't run - and that is how most people in my life view me.  Only the ones i've met since starting triathlon see this different person. 

Are you kidding. You've just finished a HIM and your people dont see your athletic ability??? We all think you kick .

2012-06-23 3:39 AM

User image

England

Ok folks. Quick update as i haven't posted a lot recently. My training has been a little patchy due to some difficult family issues which have made me reluctant to spend too much time for myself.

I had a talk with my 26 yr old daughter who has managed somehow to invite herself on holiday with us. She is significantly overweight (around 258lbs) and i have managed to talk her into getting moving. I have written her a modified programme based around the Couch potato to Sprint which she has enthusiastically received and i have promised to work with her every day to keep her on track and motivated. Consequently, i am using my training time to work with her.

We have just completed the first week and i am proud of her committment so far. I will keep you informed of our progress and we have set a target of the Erewash Sprint Tri on 12 August which is the week before we go on holiday. It seems to be a great motivator and will help her her to maximise her weight loss right before we go away so she will look good by the pool.

2012-06-23 6:34 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina

Hey Allen-  good to see ya back!  Great job on getting your daughter motivated, just breaking that inertia will do wonders for her!  So you HTFU and signed up for another tri as well good for you Salty can suspend that bounty on you now.

Unexpected day off so I'm going to get a ride in before I go with DW to a 3 year olds b-day party, crazy life that I live huh?

2012-06-23 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4276446

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
ukweeble - 2012-06-23 4:39 AM

Ok folks. Quick update as i haven't posted a lot recently. My training has been a little patchy due to some difficult family issues which have made me reluctant to spend too much time for myself.

I had a talk with my 26 yr old daughter who has managed somehow to invite herself on holiday with us. She is significantly overweight (around 258lbs) and i have managed to talk her into getting moving. I have written her a modified programme based around the Couch potato to Sprint which she has enthusiastically received and i have promised to work with her every day to keep her on track and motivated. Consequently, i am using my training time to work with her.

We have just completed the first week and i am proud of her committment so far. I will keep you informed of our progress and we have set a target of the Erewash Sprint Tri on 12 August which is the week before we go on holiday. It seems to be a great motivator and will help her her to maximise her weight loss right before we go away so she will look good by the pool.

Allen, you please let her know that she has my support from afar. It is a huge, life changing step and should be celebrated. And congrats to you for putting her training ahead of yours. Obviously you are quite the parent! Now get out there and reach that goal, both you and she!
2012-06-23 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4276437

User image

Melon Presser
ukweeble - 2012-06-23 4:03 PM
jmkizer - 2012-06-22 1:51 PM

Go Manatees!  Go!

GOOD LUCK YOU RACING MANATEES. GO GET EM (EXCEPT YOU YANTI, YOU BETTER FINISH DFL OR WE'LL KNOW YOU TRIED)

Chuckle. I have actually finished this race DFL in the past. Maybe I'll be the DFL / race sweeper who encourages the last incoming participant and finishes behind them so nobody has to be last ...

Good on ya for encouraging your daughter. I was a good bit heavier than her at my heaviest and at 5' 3" and change, I know how hard it is to get and stay moving. You are a trooper and so is she.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80