Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-10-31 6:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

@Nathalie--it does not compute that it is too cold to swim in the lake, but not too cold to sit in the lake. Wouldn't swimming warm you up?

to swim you have to put your face in the water and although I have neoprene stuff that covers head, feet, hands and neck, the face is still naked and the cold hurts.

to sit in the lake, you don't have to put your face in, you're only in up to your chest and only for a minute or 2.

Very relaxing (nobody believes me when I tell them)

2023-10-31 3:23 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

sorry the all blacks didn't win the final, I hear it was close!

I'm not ready to talk about that yet, and won't be for some time, probably years. That was a painful experience on many levels.
2023-10-31 4:34 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen. Good to see you made it safe and sound back to the desert. Hopefully this time around with the run focus life is less of a logistical nightmare than last time around.

@Nathalie. If you think sitting in near freezing point water is 'very nice' I feel we have different views on what nice is

@Mike, Glad you enjoyed fat thor season. What is your strength and speed program going to look like?

@Nicole. Sorry to hear about your family dramas. It almost sounds like it's a relief for you that its over, even if it isn't the sort of resolution you wanted.

Nice job on staying on the wagon at your axe tournament. I imagine that they are a very easy place to slip up.

Monday rest day for me. Tuesday 60 minute treadmill run, with 6 x 2.5' Z4 intervals. Bit of speed for cutback/race week. Felt good, almost too good. I might need to do a 5K time trial in the near future to check my running zones are right.
2023-11-01 1:28 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog
@Nathalie. If you think sitting in near freezing point water is 'very nice' I feel we have different views on what nice is

I didn’t write nice, but relaxing. You get a rush of some hormone which gives you a feeling of well being. Not so much while you are in the water but afterwards. A bit like after a workout or race to use a comparison you guys can relate to.

2023-11-01 2:30 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I didn’t write nice, but relaxing. You get a rush of some hormone which gives you a feeling of well being. Not so much while you are in the water but afterwards. A bit like after a workout or race to use a comparison you guys can relate to.

I have a friend who swears by cold water swimming and reports the same things...she feels relaxed and at east after swimming. She has been known to go swimming in January and while our winters are nowhere near as cold as what you get Nat, they do have to break up the ice on the surface sometimes. She swims without a wetsuit (not for long!). She keeps trying to get me to go with her, but no way (at least..not yet!).

Another 30' foundation run in the books for me this morning. I slept maybe two hours total last night, so I was glad it wasn't a longer run. Unfortunately, tonight is not looking like it will be any better of a sleep, as my friend arrives at 2am...probably to the apartment at 3am. Heck...depending on how the night goes, I might just stay up and go running.
2023-11-01 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew re: strength and speed program...

The strength part is more about consistently doing it - 2x/week upper body, 1x/week legs, and 1x/week Bikram Yoga plus another core-only day so 5 days a week, maybe 3+ hours total for the week.  I have a routine I do in the Pain Cave with dumbbells then the other two days I'll be at a gym.  When I get into build for racing my strength training really drops off, then of course Fat Thor season so I'm pretty weak right now so I'll have to build slowly over the 12 weeks.

Speed work is going to be neuromuscular speed (so relative sprinting) across all of the disciplines, going as fast as I can without getting injured, then progressing to some anaerobic speed maybe the second half of the program.  So lots of 25s and 50s in the pool, 20-40 seconds strides on the treadmill (easier to manage pace) and sprint practice on the bike.  I'll do a lot of Z2 recovery between the intervals so this doesn't become VO2 max work.

It's probably an extended version of Phase 2 in Daniels or Base 2 in Friel, but I likely won't be doing much longer Z2 endurance work with my focus on sprints next year.

2023-11-01 8:17 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove
She keeps trying to get me to go with her, but no way (at least..not yet!).

not yet.... she'll get you in the end, if someone in our group is mad to try, that's gotta be you

then you'll be one of us....
2023-11-01 10:11 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

There are lots of benefits of cold baths/showers! One is weight loss supposedly, but yeah this is actually really great for you. I used to love ice baths after hard workouts in college, and if I could easily do them still without wasting a ton of water, I would do it!
2023-11-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Am feeling really tired this week. I think it's a combination of trying to get back into my routine after being out of it for over a week and a little residual sadness from the events of last week.

Thanks for sharing that about your sister, Gretchen. It has definitely helped to hear others experiences with these and validates my feelings of relief (though there is definitely still guilt and grief there). I couldn't sleep the other night so did some googling, and found there is a term for this. It's called Ambiguous grief/loss, when someone is still alive, but gone in some way (dementia, mental illness, etc) and your relationship has changed in some big way. It helped a lot to put a term to my feelings.

I think once I get motivated to get back to my morning workouts, I will get out of this funk. Aiming for a ride or run tomorrow morning.

2023-11-01 10:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

There are lots of benefits of cold baths/showers! One is weight loss supposedly, but yeah this is actually really great for you. I used to love ice baths after hard workouts in college, and if I could easily do them still without wasting a ton of water, I would do it!

Not sure about weight loss I bathed regularly a couple of winters ago and did not lose any. I lost weight this year when I gave up booze (or drastically reduced my intake)

2023-11-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole...another sorry here about your sister.  It's tough when you grow up with someone and they turn into something that just isn't them.  My first cousin has turned into a Trumper-racist-nut and I haven't talked to him in seven years, even at my aunt's funeral.  I think a couple of good workouts will get you out of your funk.

@Nathalie...I've experienced the post-cold high before as well, usually with ice baths but like Nicole said it's a pain and a waste of water; maybe I'll head down to the river this winter...some folks in my tri club swim there at least once a month

@Gretchen...glad you got there safe and sound, now get yourself time-acclimated and no partying all night with your friends!!  And yeah the smoke, ugh

@Andrew...nice work getting to ten hours - that is such a great round number; and so sorry about your All Blacks loss

Got through my first two days of my training plan.  Yesterday was a short bike, short run, and dumbbells/ core in the Pain Cave then today was a morning swim and lunch Z2 bike with some spin-ups at the sprint points in Zwift.  I was supposed to do 2K in the pool this morning , but when I got to my normal gym the pool was closed, so I had to drive another 12 minutes to another one so that threw me off.  Considering I haven't swam in a month, probably for the best to hold at 1500.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-11-03 7:55 AM

2023-11-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Oh and I almost forgot...after waiting 30+ years post-braces and having my teeth move all around because of my wisdom teeth I finally bit the bullet so to speak and got Invisalign.  @Nicole didn't you have these at one point?  They're weird but so far no issues.  Looking at about a 16-month treatment plan so I'd better get used to them.  I felt like I was getting more water in my mouth swimming this morning so I might not wear them in the water again.  Bike was fine. 

2023-11-02 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Busy work week for me this week. Not exactly rested leading into a race.

Predictions:

Swim, 500m. If it's an honest course I'm guessing 10-12 minutes. I should be under 11 if I swim straight, extra minute is for poor sighting.
Bike, 20km, going go go with 37-39 minutes. It's a fast flat road, but there are 4 180 degree turns in it so a bit of slowing and speeding up. The plan is to be absolutely 100% throttle and burn as many matches as I can. I do also want to make sure I take in a few calories, probably more than I need but I need to practice that on the bike.
Run, 5k, Not sure. I haven't done a fast 5km for months, maybe closer to years. Based on the intervals I've been doing in training (albeit 5-10 minutes at a time) I'm going to go with 32-34 minutes. Yes that is slow. I'm planning to start at the fast end of what I think I can do, and hold on for dear life.
Transitions, it's a short run, maybe 5 minutes across T1 and T2. Nat must be so disappointed with that number.

So that must be 1hr 25-1hr 30. Or I might blow up and walk 4.75k of the run

Lets see.
2023-11-02 9:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Nice work on the restart of a training plan. Bye Bye Fat Thor.

@Gretchen, Did you get any sleep yet? Hope the first week in Egypt is going well.

@Nat, On Disney plus there is a Chris Hemsworth documentary series about living longer. One of the episodes is about cold water swimming. It looks good for you, but I'm not so sure. Its bad enough getting into pool on a semi warm day, let alone proper cold.

@Nicole, I hope you get out of your funk quickly. I've never had family issues like what you've got, but I did have some mental health stuff when I was younger, it's one of the reasons I do tri, the endorphin hit you get from a good workout is the best way I've found to deal with mental health. Obviously it's not the only thing, but it helps.

Maybe if you force yourself to do a peloton ride, or head to the gym and do some volleyball you might get a bit of a runners high and help you out?

Whatever you do, hope it works

Have a good weekend all.
2023-11-03 7:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good luck this weekend Andrew, looking forward to reading about it.

You're right, I am disapointed with that number, 5 minutes transitions for a sprint? But it is practice for a much longer race so you are forgiven

90 minutes spin class last night, last one of the free test period. I have decided to sign up. I need to do something to beat 2023 Nat next year. Getting better on the bike is that thing.

Have a nice weekend!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-11-03 7:52 AM
2023-11-03 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good luck and speedy thoughts this weekend, Andrew.  I love your "hammer until you blow up" plan.  Coach Mike approves.  I'll be interested to see how you hammer the bike and what type of result you get after all the hours on Zwift this past winter.

And Nathalie, you're letting Andrew off the hook way to easily on transitions.  It's a race, dangit!!!

Goodbye Fat Thor continues with yesterday in the gym (treadmill run, legs day...which went about as expected after not doing leg work in a couple of months).  This morning was Bikram and I'll do a quick lunch bike on the Stealth Bomber to get acclimated on the tri bike so I can actually, you know, use it. 

Have a great weekend everyone!!

2023-11-05 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
It's the day after the race before. I'm going to write a race report but first I'll get my excuses out of the way.

Due to permit issues the swim which is usually a beach start/finish was a deep water start, and finish. No head below the water from the finish buoys to the beach. This was about 300m of wading through waist deep water before reaching the timing matt at the beach. I stopped my Garmin at the finish buoys and measured 10:17 for the swim, my official time (including the wade) was 13:38.) I feel justified in saying that 3 minutes shouldn't count

Also, the bike was 1km long. So that's an extra 1-2 minutes on the bike I didn't account for when making predictions.

Race report to come soon.

Overall I was 1:31:28 which was slower than planned, but as excused above I went further than planned. Very happy with my pace and effort levels. It's not scientific, but I set a bunch of segment PB's on Strava on the bike and run. And this race is in a location I do a lot of training at, so I feel a segment PB has a bit more meaning than a location you never go to.

Most importantly I had a blast, and walked away thinking I should do more sprint distance tris.
2023-11-05 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

You're right, I am disapointed with that number, 5 minutes transitions for a sprint? But it is practice for a much longer race so you are forgiven

You can be proud.
T1: 2:06,
T2: 1:06

That's not slow
2023-11-05 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Race report with a couple of photos here: https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Monday is a planned rest day, like most weeks. Your normally scheduled training updates will resume Tuesday. 32 days till my 70.3. 3 build weeks and a 2 week taper. Looking forward to the last big push.
2023-11-06 1:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

You can be proud.
T1: 2:06,
T2: 1:06

That's not slow

I am! Depending on how big the the transition area is, that could be very good!
2023-11-06 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Well done, Andrew.  And I love your racing kit.  Loud is fast. 

Had a good training weekend here with my first spin class in about six months on Saturday with a short transition run, then some strength training.  So.  Weak.  Then had a great morning run around the Baltimore harbor with my daughter - my first outdoor run since my tri and my legs are feeling it a little this morning.  Day off today, then a couple of early morning workouts before I travel to Chicago for work.  We're staying at a nice hotel so I'll have a good gym for my 5 AM (!!!) workouts. 

2023-11-06 10:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Oh and I almost forgot...after waiting 30+ years post-braces and having my teeth move all around because of my wisdom teeth I finally bit the bullet so to speak and got Invisalign.  @Nicole didn't you have these at one point?  They're weird but so far no issues.  Looking at about a 16-month treatment plan so I'd better get used to them.  I felt like I was getting more water in my mouth swimming this morning so I might not wear them in the water again.  Bike was fine. 

Yes! I am 24 weeks in! Definitely can be a pain, but far better than braces in my opinion, and the experience has been super positive overall. My ortho thinks I'll be done in March, though it's possible I'll need a little touch up after.
I swam in them a few times I think. Definitely didn't love it. I've found that if I wear them just half a day and then at night I'm in pretty good shape. I wear them for most workouts, but not for races.
Do you get a new tray ever week or every other week? What orthodontist did you use?
2023-11-06 10:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Nat, way to sign up! Can't wait to hear about your training over the winter.

Andrew, great job on the race! Love to hear you got the itch for more sprints There's definitely something to just going out there and putting your all into an hour and a half, then going home and enjoying the rest of the day! Haven't read your race report yet but will do so shortly!

Mike, great job on your consistency, and even getting to a pool when yours was closed and you had to go further. That would've stopped me in my tracks, lol.

Gretchen, hope Egypt is treating you well!
2023-11-06 10:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone for your understanding and encouragement!
I had a pretty blah week last week, was still trying to get into a routine but was having trouble getting out of bed in the morning.

This past weekend was the first one in a month and a half where I wasn't travelling and didn't have friends staying with me. It was SO NEEDED.
I unpacked from my 2 recent trips and did laundry.
Had a football game, which served as my first official workout since my run the prior weekend.
Took an amazing nap.
Cleaned a bit and started making a grocery list
Read a lot.
Got a lot of work done while watching the Ravens absolutely dominate the Seahawks (got my unread emails below 30! down from over 400 just a week ago).
Motivated myself to do a bike ride yesterday afternoon - 45 minute PZ endurance ride. It felt amazing.
Went axe throwing.

Today is rough b/c it will be spent preparing for a big meeting with my department tomorrow, but I managed to wake up and get 30 minutes of strength in this morning, and cleaned my house a bit. After tomorrow my life will feel less stressful. I have vball playoffs tonight, but even that will feel stressful b/c I will feel I need to be working. It will be good for me though.

Daylight Saving Time has helped me get into my solid sleep routine, though the sun now sets at 5pm so that is really depressing...need to make sure I get outside during the day!
2023-11-06 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Yes! I am 24 weeks in! Definitely can be a pain, but far better than braces in my opinion, and the experience has been super positive overall. My ortho thinks I'll be done in March, though it's possible I'll need a little touch up after. I swam in them a few times I think. Definitely didn't love it. I've found that if I wear them just half a day and then at night I'm in pretty good shape. I wear them for most workouts, but not for races. Do you get a new tray ever week or every other week? What orthodontist did you use?

Once a week for me.  I just put in Trays week 2 no issues so far other than occasionally I sound like a kid missing front teeth. 

My ortho is Dr. Wang (Baltimore Orthodontic Group) where Falls and Joppa Road intersect.  Very positive experience with them so far and it's actually a little cheaper than I thought it would be (and my dental plan covers like a 3rd of it). 

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland