General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 171

2011-03-22 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3408270

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

TriRSquared - 2011-03-22 10:09 AM Great post Gary.

x2.

My thoughts on special needs - have it stocked with anything you might need in case you need it, but don't stop if you don't have to.  Whether you agree with me or not has already been addressed by Gary - depends on our separate goals and motivations.

2011-03-22 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3407403

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Selachophobia - 2011-03-21 2:38 PMSorry this may have been covered in the prior 83 pages at 20 responses per page but is anyone else doing the Intermediate Full Ironman - 20 Week - HR plan?  Would like to very much keep in touch with you on how you feel, what your doing etc....
Sorry if already covered.....
Yep, that's the torture test I'm on...
2011-03-22 12:02 PM
in reply to: #3006331

New user
Bonney Lake

Hello again to the post. You all seem to train a lot and I have seen some numbers from those who posted and chatted about it. I with a few of you that the one thing that holds me back is life. I do not let my training get in the way of something for my son or wife. Some weeks that is hard, but keeps us all happy. My wife and my son know I need to swim so the last few weeks they have come to the pool with me and did thier own thing in the small pool. Since I do not have a lot of time some days. Does anyone have any good bike training tips. My run is ok, or I should say I am happy with my run times right now and know how to work that. My swim is my swim. I can get form A to B not real fast but I am getting better. I feel I can do the most for myself this year in the bike. If anyone has any ideas for a person who at times does not have a lot of time as in I have about 1.5 hours a day for my bike, let me know.

Also it as asked once before but there have been no answers. Does anyone have any information on the kids run that happens the Thurs before the race. Just basic info would be nice. My son who is 7 wants to do it, but I am not sure how long it is or anything else about it. I am sure it is fun, but looking for info.

2011-03-22 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3408639

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
edawno - 2011-03-22 11:02 AM

Also it as asked once before but there have been no answers. Does anyone have any information on the kids run that happens the Thurs before the race. Just basic info would be nice. My son who is 7 wants to do it, but I am not sure how long it is or anything else about it. I am sure it is fun, but looking for info.

I did the kids race in 2004 with my daughter, it was a 5k and there were more adults than kids (at that time they were calling it a fun run not a kids race).  Since then they have shortened the distance and attached the "kids race" title to it.  I do not know the exact distance now but I think that they have kept it limited to within the city park, maybe like a 1K.  A 7-year old is who this is geared towards, he will not be the youngest kid running. 

2011-03-22 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3408639

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
  • edawno - 2011-03-22 1:02 PM

Hello again to the post. You all seem to train a lot and I have seen some numbers from those who posted and chatted about it. I with a few of you that the one thing that holds me back is life. I do not let my training get in the way of something for my son or wife. Some weeks that is hard, but keeps us all happy. My wife and my son know I need to swim so the last few weeks they have come to the pool with me and did thier own thing in the small pool. Since I do not have a lot of time some days. Does anyone have any good bike training tips. My run is ok, or I should say I am happy with my run times right now and know how to work that. My swim is my swim. I can get form A to B not real fast but I am getting better. I feel I can do the most for myself this year in the bike. If anyone has any ideas for a person who at times does not have a lot of time as in I have about 1.5 hours a day for my bike, let me know.

Of the 3 disciplines, IMHO bike training is the easiest to do on a time-limited schedule.  This is because biking is not primarily about form (swimming is, and takes lots of TIME to master), and there is a low risk of injury on the bike if you go hard (unlike running, which has a very high incidence of injury following hard efforts).

As has recently been discussed, work = volume + intensity.  You can do the same amount of work with less volume (time) if you up the intensity.  That said, I would recommend a tempo workout, a VO2 max workout, and a long ride with some intervals thrown in.

Here's a few workouts I stole from slowtwitch today:

• 10 minute spin warmup 2 x 20 @ 95% FTP (riding at almost the pace you could ride for a 1 hour time trial).  5 minutes of spinning between the sets + 10 minute spin cooldown.
  • 10 minute warmup, 1x20 @ 105% FTP (a pace you could not hold for 30 minutes but can hold for 20... very very close to max effort), 10 minute cooldown.
  • 10 minute warmup, 5x5 @ 110% FTP (as hard as you can for those 5 minutes) w/ 3 minutes of rest between each set, 10 minute cooldown.

While you could skimp on your long ride (by going hard), you do need to adapt to sitting on a saddle and staying in aero for long periods of time... so I would try to schedule some longer rides.  I'm a huge fan of a 3-4 hour ride that starts out easy and ends hard, and builds steadily throughout the ride.  Another favorite is any long ride with lots of climbing.  2 hours of crushing it is a serious workout too -- throw an easy 30 minutes on the front and the back and you've got a very decent "long ride" in the books.  My point is that if you are time limited, you'll want to do HARD WORK during your long rides.  You're not riding a ton so you should have the legs to do it.

Especially if it's your first IM, I think there is a training benefit, but also a huge psychological benefit, to riding the full IM distance several times in training.  You want to get to the point where you can do it, and not feel like hell when it's over (that's about proper pacing and fitness).  It's also helpful for practicing your nutrition.  But you don't NEED to do this to have the fitness necessary to do it on race day.

That said, MOST of your rides (not race-rehearsal rides) should leave you feeling like hell afterwards.  In summary... ride lots (as much as you can), mostly hard.

2011-03-22 2:35 PM

Master
, California

10 minute warmup, 5x5 @ 110% FTP (as hard as you can for those 5 minutes) w/ 3 minutes of rest between each set, 10 minute cooldown.

Another similar one is common to Jorge's winter cycling plan:

10 min warmup, 6x4 @ 110% FTP w/ 45 secs rest (~65% FTP) between each, 10 min cd.

This is really hard.  With the small amount of rest, if you overdo it on the first set, you'll get progressively slower on each one.  Your goal should be to maintain them all at the same level and maybe go a little harder on the last one.  It requires a lot of discipline (and an accurate, recent FTP test).

2011-03-22 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
Holy Cow!!  Ok so I think I now have everything booked (Bringing a Family of Four) and in reflecting on my numbers I am in a little shock.....

Ironman Registration = $603.75
Hotel = $1882.44
Flight = $2035.20
Bike Transport = $290.00
Rental Car = 203.21
Wetsuit Rental = $44.77
Total = $5,059.37

Not even included:
Bike and Gear Cost
Clothing and Shoes
Supplements/Massages
Food and Toys at CDA and IM Village
Time Away from Family

I envy you local guys....
2011-03-22 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I started a thread about this a while back....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=241032&start=1

Yeah, very expensive...

2011-03-22 3:48 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

For you Im junkies, I would quess CDA is more expensive than most based on how much everything goes up the week of the race.  Is this true or do other races do this also?  I think if this all works out for me I may be leaning towards some non IM branded races - great flordian and Silverman.  However, I still have to see how I feel in May. 

For those who have done a non branded race what was your opinions vs a branded race?

2011-03-22 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3409109

Master
, California
kstater39 - 2011-03-22 1:48 PM

For you Im junkies, I would quess CDA is more expensive than most based on how much everything goes up the week of the race.  Is this true or do other races do this also?  I think if this all works out for me I may be leaning towards some non IM branded races - great flordian and Silverman.  However, I still have to see how I feel in May. 

For those who have done a non branded race what was your opinions vs a branded race?

CdA is better than many, cost-wise.  Ask Josh about IMLP

I did a non-branded HIM last summer and found the level of support (# of aid stations, etc) to be lower than a WTC race.  But I don't think you can really generalize - it depends on who is organizing it.  I've heard great things about Rev3.

2011-03-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3408213

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile
gremlin327 - 2011-03-22 7:42 AM

Top 10 things we have learned??

I concur with Gary, although I'm a Jack Daniels man.

2011-03-22 7:32 PM
in reply to: #3409433

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
tribean - 2011-03-22 8:16 PM

Makers Mark on the rocks, here.

2011-03-22 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3409466

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
Cantucan - 2011-03-22 7:32 PM
tribean - 2011-03-22 8:16 PM

Makers Mark on the rocks, here.

X2!!  coke is to good whiskey like ketchup is to a good steak!!
2011-03-22 8:27 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Slightly different genre, but I'll take a Crown, neat.

Regarding coke/booze and steak/ketchup --- There's a airline exec/lobbiest who eats at a local Ruth's Chris every friday night, where I sometimes end up for happy hour.  Without fail, he get's the petite filet and then SMOTHERS it in ketchup.  I want to scream every time I see it.  Seems like such a waste, given that most ketchup has high fructose corn syrup in it.

A "rustic" 2 bedroom townhome 1.5 miles from the start at IMLP was $4G for 4 days, if that makes you feel better.

2011-03-23 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Ditto on IMLP, and there is no good way to fly in.  I went there from FL and just flew into Philly and drove up with a friend.  I think my lodging was almost $400/night for a hotel room, which I split with said friend.  I assume IMLP, IMCdA and probably IMStG have to be the 3 most expensive simply based on the available hotel rooms and "real" airports.  You look at a place like IMFL, IMAZ, IMLou, IMTX and possibly evem IMMoo and realize IM is not the biggest event of the year for them.  not to mention it is much cheaper to fly to Phoenix, Houston, Florida, Louisville and Milwaukee (where you can fly to Chicago for next to nothing).   Unfortunatelly for me I grew up vacationing in LP as a kid, so had an affinity for that race and IMCdA is on my 40th Birthday, so i HAVE to do that...  next time, i pick one of the 4 races I can reasonably drive to!  Goodness I wish IMLou was NOT a time trial start and NOT in the middle of August in the South because I can drive there in 3 hours!!

My tab...
Entry $600
Cabin: $1650
Flights: $1500
Car: $350
Bike Transport: $290

Plus, plus, plus...   The only nice thing is the race entry was last June 9forgotten), cabin required pre-payment a few months back (forgotten), flights will be booked this week, bike in 2-3 weeks.  So only car rental and plus, plus, plus will show up on the CC bill in July.  Hopefully the wife never does the math.  I won't tell yours if you don;t tell mine Money mouth

As far as whiskey, I concur, Makers Mark is better than Beam, but that is because it is a premium brand associated with beam and distilled in KY.  I live in TN, but like my whiskey from KY or Ireland, which is a sin in these here parts.  And although I grew up on the Canadian border, I just never liked the Canadian stuff (Crown, CC, etc...).  I will admit I mix with Coke (Zero) unless it is Jameson, Basil Hayden or Maker Mark (For years it was marketed with the tag line, "It tastes expensive ... and is."), then it is on the rocks, mmmmmmmmmmmm...............

Edited by gremlin327 2011-03-23 8:08 AM
2011-03-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3408184

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
JoshKaptur - 2011-03-22 9:27 AM

Look what else I found on the interwebz (note number 2 on the ingredients list):

WOW! You can use a search engine and read a manufacturers website!

No where in my posts did I say anything about me personally using a product that has fructose as an ingrediant. I choose to use another product because the PB Perform tastes terrible. Most people have a hard time drinking something they like for 5-6 hours much less trying to force yourself to drink something that you don't find appealing.

Listen I belive that the other posters on this thread have grown weary of the p!ssing contest that every post that disagrees with your views seems to become.  I aplologize to the rest of you for that and I am sorry that you wasted your time reading some of this.  I am done posting on this thread, I don't have the time or the inclination to argue the minutae of every aspect of IM training ad nauseum.

If any of you would like to ask me a training question please feel free to PM me, otherwise good luck to you all and I'll see you in June.

2011-03-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: #3410291

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Rocket Man - 2011-03-23 10:28 AM

Listen I belive that the other posters on this thread have grown weary of the p!ssing contest that every post that disagrees with your views seems to become.  I aplologize to the rest of you for that and I am sorry that you wasted your time reading some of this.  I am done posting on this thread, I don't have the time or the inclination to argue the minutae of every aspect of IM training ad nauseum.

I know I have. 

Look I value both of your opinions and experience.  But for a first time IM athlete like me, after the third post on fructose vs glucose vs kool-aid I begin to glaze over.  Maybe as my tri career gets more advanced I'll begin to take these things more seriously.  But for those of us who's goal it is to finish before midnight... it honestly just gets a bit old. 

Besides, IMO the general IM race forum is a better place for stuff like this.  This thread should focus on CdA.

Stick around Rocket Man.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-03-23 10:38 AM
2011-03-23 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Believe what you may - every time it happens I get half a dozen PMs encouraging me to fight the good fight, reminding me that when you wrestle a pig you get dirty, etc.  I don't know enough to think those things about you and hadn't (until now) made this personal about you -- I've offered to buy the first beer in CdA -- I just think you're arguments are flawed... a lot.  It so happens those arguments often surface when you respond to my posts.  I have no problem with that, and can link to countless threads where I've engaged in healthy debate with others on this site and kept it about the issues.

Your condescending comments like "wow you can use a search engine" are typical when you get backed into a corner.  And this time I'm taking the bait.

The discussion stands for itself whether your PB perform comments were about taste or also (and primarily) included what I believe I've shown to be uninformed psuedu-science and then personal attacks when you were called out for it.  You went on a fructose attack and I simply pointed out that there is plenty of evidence for it's benefits, and that in fact your drink contains it.  I admit it snowballed from there while your arguments deflected from my points (I can't find one response directly to an argument I made) and attacked my credibility.

I've tried really hard to stick to the arguments here.  I didn't (until now) go into your blog where you admit to being 10 watts over your target on a long ride despite soft pedaling most of the way home, and then conclude that PB perform doesn't work for you because you ran out of gas.  My goal hasn't been to discredit you by attacking you... it was to show that your conclusions were flawed and not supported by the available data out there (which I do not apologize for existing on the internet - I think reasonable people can discern between good info on the web and bologna on the web).

I'm sorry (not really) you feel the need to take your ball and go home.  <---- that (and maybe the preceeding paragraph) was the first comment I've made that was about you, not about the arguments here.  As for p!$$sing contests - I offer up my skills below from a run last winter:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4055/4349505727_f2b3e7acda.jpg

And I'll still buy anyone on this thread the first drink (as long as it's not a Pepsi mixer) in CdA.

2011-03-23 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3410449

User image

Veteran
Dallas

First dry run this weekend.  An Olympic.  Nervous.  Feeling sore.  Never raced without a taper before.  Gonna be a hot one in Austin.  Ugh!     

Odd question.  Does anyone have an accelerated video of the CdA bike route?  I looked on you tube and did not find one. 

2011-03-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3410449

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
TriRSquared - 2011-03-23 9:32 AM

Look I value both of your opinions and experience....

Stick around Rocket Man.

I agree.

After 6 IM's I can tell you that there is more than one way to get from the sign-up line to the finish line.  What may work great one year may not work the following year.  As with most things in life, anyone that says that their way is to only way is probably wrong.  And before y'all get your panties is a bunch I'm not saying that anyone in this argument has claimed to be all knowing.  In order to say that I would have had to actually read everything that has been written, and I have not, nor do I plan to.

2011-03-23 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3410494

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
3Aims - 2011-03-23 11:46 AM

First dry run this weekend.  An Olympic.  Nervous.  Feeling sore.  Never raced without a taper before.  Gonna be a hot one in Austin.  Ugh!     

Odd question.  Does anyone have an accelerated video of the CdA bike route?  I looked on you tube and did not find one. 

Good luck!!!

2011-03-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3410491

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Josh - You look a little de-hydrated.  Are you drinking enough water?

2011-03-23 11:06 AM
in reply to: #3410494

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
3Aims - 2011-03-23 11:46 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxVGgtcN32Q

I think this is about as good as it is going to get.
2011-03-23 11:23 AM

I heard someone say they are buying the first beer in CDA...anyone buying the 2nd?

I'm coming in from Abu Dhabi, trip like that seems worthy of at least 2
2011-03-23 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
SE

Being a scientist-practitioner myself, I value informed opinions. If Rocketman can defend his points I want to know what he has to say. Same goes for Josh. If you can't defend all or part of what you have to say, I think we can be big enough to accept criticism where its warranted.

Many times I throw stuff out there that I am not able to defend other than via anecdote (e.g., switch to coke late in the run and don't change back). However, call me out if I do and I will admit it. The thing is there is a base of information out there,  albeit relatively new, and we should try to use it to our collective advantage.

Yes your urine is too dark. I know that because I did some renal research 8)

New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 171