BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2010-12-10 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3244358

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!!
Pretty sure no one here goes to the Peloton forum so I'll post this here also,

Hilarious video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eg6lGoRQQ8

How can you go wrong with kung fu on bikes?

2010-12-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3138641

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
How long did it take you guys to get comfortable in aero position?

I just took the new bike for a 30 minute spin and couldn't wait to get off the dammnn thing.  I have been on the trainer with it a couple times and been adjusting position... took pics and measured on the screen and feel like I am pretty good, but my arms are tiring easily.

I have an adamo saddle, and while the saddle feels comfortable, I feel like I am sliding forward.  When I tilt the rails up 1 click, then it feels too tilted. 

Any ideas?
2010-12-10 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3244654

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Barry:

Pay for a session with a trained Fitter! Changing one thing affects 5 others. It is a back and forth process to get everything aligned. It sounds like you have your position too far forward and thus too much weight on your arms. Otherwise, maybe your bars are too low. But that is just speculation. A good fit is worth the ijnvestment.

BTW: While I have had a fitting for my bike I plan to do it again when I complete my physical therapy as I expect things will have changed significantly.

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2010-12-10 3:00 PM
2010-12-10 3:32 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Barry,

I agree with Doug.  A pro fit will go a long way in terms of comfort and efficiency.  I recall you saying you paid $50 for the LBS to build your bike and then another $75 for the fit.  But then you changed things around when you got home?  So was this after the fit?  I was a little bit confused when I read that, but I figured you knew what you were doing.  But then you said you were going to remove some spacers within a few weeks? 

I think we all want to ride and look like the pro's but we are what we are.  My answer to your original question is that I got comfortable in aero immediately, but I did have a pro fit, using the Retul 3D, before I ever even rode the bike.  It was the best $250 I spent...because what are we if not comfortable?  Especially with your IT band issue! 

If your arms are getting tired, there is too much of your body weight resting on them...perhaps too far forward?  We have gotten more aggressive since my initial fitting but it took place over months, not weeks.  And we still have a ways to go to maximize the aero of this bike...but I have to keep working on my flexibility before I can increase the drop.

Those are my 0.02 cents...and that's not worth much in American pennies!

good luck!
2010-12-10 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Adding to Kim's terrific response, I watched someone get a Retul fit earlier this year, and it was by far the most detailed fitting I have ever seen! They had sensors on the rider, they filmed him, they switched out bars, seats, etc, and each time checked verything else. Before that they check his flexibility. They noticed his left knee came out on each rotation and tried spacers under his shoe. This is very involved but also comprehensive.

I contacted a Retul fitter an hour or so south of me and may go see him in the late spring or early summer. By then I may be at my goal weight in addition to having worked out my PT issues, built up my lower leg strength, fixed my stability issues, and increased my flexibility. (Sounds easy, huh?).
2010-12-10 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-10 1:10 PM How long did it take you guys to get comfortable in aero position?

I just took the new bike for a 30 minute spin and couldn't wait to get off the dammnn thing.  I have been on the trainer with it a couple times and been adjusting position... took pics and measured on the screen and feel like I am pretty good, but my arms are tiring easily.

I have an adamo saddle, and while the saddle feels comfortable, I feel like I am sliding forward.  When I tilt the rails up 1 click, then it feels too tilted. 

Any ideas?

I have a an idea that you may have heard before. In fact, I do believe you have recommended this to others...

HTFU

2010-12-10 3:45 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Actually to piggy back off of Kim and Doug, when I bought my current bike it didnt fit properly so we added a few spacers. Less aero but way more comfy. Guy who had before me was the same size and everything but just a way more aggressive rider.
2010-12-10 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3244790

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
HTFU...I heard that.

Kim, to answer your question...yes I did get "fit", but I think he knew less about it than I did, but that $75 was worth being able to go back several times if I need somthing cut etc.  I have moved the bars and seat around, but it is more comfy than it was.  I widened the armrests a little this afternoon and tilted the seat back just a bit ... see if that helps.

Doug, you will be like the six million dollar man when they get thru re-building you. 

I took a picture of me on the bike and laughed... I thought I was a LOT more aero than I was.  It is amazing how perception can be so different from reality.  I don't feel like I am too aero, maybe the seat was making me slide forward, and I was having to hold back with my arms.  I'll work on that.  I took measurements on my screen, and feel like I am within the protocol that slowtwitch recommends for angles and such.
2010-12-10 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3244823

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-10 5:10 PM HTFU...I heard that.

Kim, to answer your question...yes I did get "fit", but I think he knew less about it than I did, but that $75 was worth being able to go back several times if I need somthing cut etc.  I have moved the bars and seat around, but it is more comfy than it was.  I widened the armrests a little this afternoon and tilted the seat back just a bit ... see if that helps.

Doug, you will be like the six million dollar man when they get thru re-building you. 

I took a picture of me on the bike and laughed... I thought I was a LOT more aero than I was.  It is amazing how perception can be so different from reality.  I don't feel like I am too aero, maybe the seat was making me slide forward, and I was having to hold back with my arms.  I'll work on that.  I took measurements on my screen, and feel like I am within the protocol that slowtwitch recommends for angles and such.

If you can take a video of you spinning on the bike wearing bike/tri clothing we can make suggestions.

Though it does take time to get used to a real aero position.  It doesn't always feel good right out of the box.
2010-12-10 10:22 PM
in reply to: #3244827

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-12-10 5:13 PM

If you can take a video of you spinning on the bike wearing bike/tri clothing we can make suggestions.

Though it does take time to get used to a real aero position.  It doesn't always feel good right out of the box.

define that.
2010-12-10 10:45 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-10 3:10 PM

Any ideas?

you're ~7 months out from ironman training but i suspect you're looking at a half iron before this.  get fit properly... comfort over "aero". 

why did you choose this frame?

2010-12-11 6:17 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Hey Barry. Gotta agree with everyone else. Go get another proper fit. You definitely want to be comfortable for any long distances. Once fitted ride a few times before trying to change anything. As with everything else it takes time for your body to adjust to any new position.

Tony suck it up with the snow. Over the last few days my daughter got just over 3 feet of the stuff. London (Ont) was closed for 2 days just digging out. That's a lot even for the frozen north. Not all bad though. She and the kids had several snow days from work and school and had a riot playing in the stuff. I am about an hour away and we don't even have enough snow to completely cover the grass.  good luck with the race.

Edited by Redknight 2010-12-11 6:18 AM
2010-12-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: #3245044

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-10 11:22 PM

define that.

Basically a flat'ish back head in the right position, arms even at a 90 degree angle (though this will be comfortable if your arms are in the right spot, if you haven't ridden aero it can tire out shoulders/forearms)

all that vs what I would call not a real aero position, head up in the wind, back not flat'ish, probably more comfortable but not very aero or as aero. I am sure I have some pictures around of my position on my road bike when I had clipons, didn't take much to get used to that position, I could ride that all day from pretty much the first day but no where near as aero as I would be on my tri-bike.

does that make sense? 

2010-12-11 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3245107

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-12-11 8:08 AM

define that.

Basically a flat'ish back head in the right position, arms even at a 90 degree angle (though this will be comfortable if your arms are in the right spot, if you haven't ridden aero it can tire out shoulders/forearms)

all that vs what I would call not a real aero position, head up in the wind, back not flat'ish, probably more comfortable but not very aero or as aero. I am sure I have some pictures around of my position on my road bike when I had clipons, didn't take much to get used to that position, I could ride that all day from pretty much the first day but no where near as aero as I would be on my tri-bike.

does that make sense? 

ok.  i think i read the word real wrong.  i first read it as its this way (think luscans avatar) or all else is not aero... when really you are suggesting the most aero one can get which should be as close to what you described above.  which imho i completely agree with.
2010-12-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3245051

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-10 10:45 PM

Any ideas?

you're ~7 months out from ironman training but i suspect you're looking at a half iron before this.  get fit properly... comfort over "aero". 

Stack and Reach...of course  Price?  And I thought it LOOKED COOL 

I am going to go for another ride this afternoon and see how the adjustments work out.  I widened the pads and tilted the seat up a smidge which should keep me from having to work as hard with my arms.  Everything else feels pretty good.
2010-12-11 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3245111

User image

Champion
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-11 8:21 AM

define that.

does that make sense? 

ok.  i think i read the word real wrong.  i first read it as its this way (think luscans avatar) or all else is not aero... when really you are suggesting the most aero one can get which should be as close to what you described above.  which imho i completely agree with.

HAHA no Dave Luscan's picture hurts my back just to look at.

IMO there is a fine line between HTFU'ing based on your position and really hurting based on your position.

I am tweaking my fit a bit in the off season I think.  Due to my EXTREME lack of flexibility I can't get as low as I would like so I'm wasting watts with spacers.  The idea is that those round spacers are as un aero as you can get (someone needs to make aero spacers)  I have a couple options.  I can bring my angle in a bit, been doing a lot of stretching this year so that has helped but not quite enough.

I can get smaller cranks, then lower the front end and back end down, keeping my back at the same angle but having less "stuff" up front in the wind.

Or I can lower the bars by removing the un aero spacers and adding some rise to my aero-bar pads, they make aero risers, so my angle won't change again but less frontal space holding the wind.

If you see some of the new nosecone bikes that have integrated stems and headsets they can't take spacers so lifting the aero bars up is the only way you can fit the bike correctly, lots of guys in the TdF were using them.

This is they way I think I am going to go, the aero "lift kits" are much cheaper than buying smaller cranks.

See Dave Zabriskie's picture here, not as high as I have seen others but you can see the spacers to raise the pads up a bit.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/492795/contador-lines-up-2010-tour-win-in-final-time-trial.html

LOL the point of all of this is to save a few seconds here and there.  Won't cost much to make the change so why not do it if it is cheap and makes you faster?

2010-12-11 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3245193

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-11 10:30 AM
fattyfatfat - 2010-12-10 10:45 PM

Any ideas?

Stack and Reach...of course  Price?  And I thought it LOOKED COOL 

I am going to go for another ride this afternoon and see how the adjustments work out.  I widened the pads and tilted the seat up a smidge which should keep me from having to work as hard with my arms.  Everything else feels pretty good.

One other suggest from the non technical peanut gallery, is don't start changing a bunch of things all at once.  The fitter of my Seven (note not GURU) asked me to live with some of the modifications for a week or more to see how they worked out before we made changes.  Every time I had a body issue, I blamed it on the fit, not always the case.  Sometimes it's our form on the bike that needs modification.  For me, I had a flared out right leg due to other muscle tightness and once I resolved it, both with PT and a wedge the fit was fine. 
2010-12-11 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3245271

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
dalessit - 2010-12-11 12:52 PM

define that.

does that make sense? 

IMO there is a fine line between HTFU'ing based on your position and really hurting based on your position.

I am tweaking my fit a bit in the off season I think.  Due to my EXTREME lack of flexibility I can't get as low as I would like so I'm wasting watts with spacers.  The idea is that those round spacers are as un aero as you can get (someone needs to make aero spacers)  I have a couple options.  I can bring my angle in a bit, been doing a lot of stretching this year so that has helped but not quite enough.

I can get smaller cranks, then lower the front end and back end down, keeping my back at the same angle but having less "stuff" up front in the wind.

Or I can lower the bars by removing the un aero spacers and adding some rise to my aero-bar pads, they make aero risers, so my angle won't change again but less frontal space holding the wind.

If you see some of the new nosecone bikes that have integrated stems and headsets they can't take spacers so lifting the aero bars up is the only way you can fit the bike correctly, lots of guys in the TdF were using them.

This is they way I think I am going to go, the aero "lift kits" are much cheaper than buying smaller cranks.

See Dave Zabriskie's picture here, not as high as I have seen others but you can see the spacers to raise the pads up a bit.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/492795/contador-lines-up-2010-tour-win-in-final-time-trial.html

LOL the point of all of this is to save a few seconds here and there.  Won't cost much to make the change so why not do it if it is cheap and makes you faster?

REALISTICALLY...how much can a spacer or 2 effect your aero or time?  Right now I have not cut my tube and I have 2 spacers under the stem, but my stem is 80mm and angled at a 10 or 15 degree angle upward. 

I'd bet that I could lose 10 lbs of "love handles" and that would help my aero more than removing a couple spacers.
2010-12-11 4:13 PM
in reply to: #3245361

User image

Champion
Plainsman AU - 2010-12-11 5:00 PM

define that.

does that make sense? 

REALISTICALLY...how much can a spacer or 2 effect your aero or time?  Right now I have not cut my tube and I have 2 spacers under the stem, but my stem is 80mm and angled at a 10 or 15 degree angle upward. 

I'd bet that I could lose 10 lbs of "love handles" and that would help my aero more than removing a couple spacers.

Depends on how big the spacers are, 2 isn't that many unless they are the big huge ones.
2010-12-11 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
Oh and I agree, nothing is going to matter that much in the grand scheme of things.  My thought is to be as aero as possible while still being able to maintain my position for a HIM/Oly distance.

If there is something I can do for free or relatively cheap, it would make sense for me to do it.

2010-12-11 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3245271

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

If you are gonna try to take "the Green Hornet's" aero form, you are gonna have to work on the praying mantis hands position also! 

2010-12-11 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3245466

User image

Champion
marietta
badgerintx - 2010-12-11 9:28 PM

If you are gonna try to take "the Green Hornet's" aero form, you are gonna have to work on the praying mantis hands position also! 

*rolls eyes*  please tell me you're not getting on this act. 
2010-12-11 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3245361

User image

Champion
marietta

DING DING DING!!!!!  
2010-12-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3245368

User image

Champion
marietta
dalessit - 2010-12-11 5:13 PM

define that.

does that make sense? 

Depends on how big the spacers are, 2 isn't that many unless they are the big huge ones.

yeah,  it really depends....

2010-12-12 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
My Vote is:

Your seat is tooooooooooooooooooooooo high!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun Mentor Group II- CLOSED FOR BUSINESS!!! Rss Feed  

of 81