Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-11-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Oh and I almost forgot...after waiting 30+ years post-braces and having my teeth move all around because of my wisdom teeth I finally bit the bullet so to speak and got Invisalign.  @Nicole didn't you have these at one point?  They're weird but so far no issues.  Looking at about a 16-month treatment plan so I'd better get used to them.  I felt like I was getting more water in my mouth swimming this morning so I might not wear them in the water again.  Bike was fine. 

Yes! I am 24 weeks in! Definitely can be a pain, but far better than braces in my opinion, and the experience has been super positive overall. My ortho thinks I'll be done in March, though it's possible I'll need a little touch up after. I swam in them a few times I think. Definitely didn't love it. I've found that if I wear them just half a day and then at night I'm in pretty good shape. I wear them for most workouts, but not for races. Do you get a new tray ever week or every other week? What orthodontist did you use?

Once a week for me.  I just put in Trays week 2 no issues so far other than occasionally I sound like a kid missing front teeth. 

My ortho is Dr. Wang (Baltimore Orthodontic Group) where Falls and Joppa Road intersect.  Very positive experience with them so far and it's actually a little cheaper than I thought it would be (and my dental plan covers like a 3rd of it). 

That's awesome! Mine is the same way, change every week, which really makes you feel like you're making big progress. My insurance also covered more than I expected. Yay invisalign buddies!
Do you scan at home or go in to get scanned?

2023-11-07 3:20 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by bulfrog

You're right, I am disapointed with that number, 5 minutes transitions for a sprint? But it is practice for a much longer race so you are forgiven

You can be proud.
T1: 2:06,
T2: 1:06

That's not slow

I am! Depending on how big the the transition area is, that could be very good!

About 600 athletes in transition, just over 100m run from entry to exit.
2023-11-07 8:13 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Thanks, Mrs Bullfrog likes the loud kit too. Makes it easier to spot when spectating. Good to see you getting back into a good routine again

@Nicole, Hopefully you are into the 'less stressful' stage again. Sounds like you've had heaps on. Keep on trucking.

@Me, As alluded to, Monday was a rest day. Tuesday Mr 6 had his first night at Athletics. This is going to be his summer sport. It's more games than the actual sports at his age but he loved it. So a good start. Didn't get home till close to 8 so only time for a half hour run for me.

Trust everyone is having a good week.
2023-11-08 8:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome back Mike, Fat Thor is well and truly a distant memory

Hope you are feeling OK Nicole

Gretchen, lost in Egypt? where are you?

Nice to hear the little one is doing "athletics", anything that gets them moving. When mine was younger, I got him to try everything, he did ju-jutsi, floorball (like ice-hockey but no ice, but not field hockey), tennis, climbing, running, etc he finally settled for ice-hockey and played it for 4 years before he got a bad hit, a small concussion and was never comfortable on the ice again, too scared of getting hit.
Then he started to go to the gym regularly a couple of years ago (aged 16 or 17). Not a sport in my eyes but that's better than staring at a screen all the time, like a lot of youth do.

2023-11-08 5:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Nice to hear the little one is doing "athletics", anything that gets them moving. When mine was younger, I got him to try everything, he did ju-jutsi, floorball (like ice-hockey but no ice, but not field hockey), tennis, climbing, running, etc he finally settled for ice-hockey and played it for 4 years before he got a bad hit, a small concussion and was never comfortable on the ice again, too scared of getting hit.
Then he started to go to the gym regularly a couple of years ago (aged 16 or 17). Not a sport in my eyes but that's better than staring at a screen all the time, like a lot of youth do.

This summer he's swimming Monday evenings, and athletics Tuesday evenings. Nothing on the weekend though which makes like a little easier. But plenty of opportunity to burn off some energy.

I like the try everything when your young plan. I think to often parents in particular take kids sport to seriously and try to turn a 10 year old into an elite athlete in a chosen sport. Play everything and see what you like sounds much better for little ones.

For me, 2 hours on zwift last night, with 3x20min efforts at the top of Z2/Bottom of Z3. Just a bit above 70.3 pace.

Treadmill night tonight.
2023-11-09 5:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

This summer he's swimming Monday evenings, and athletics Tuesday evenings. Nothing on the weekend though which makes like a little easier. But plenty of opportunity to burn off some energy.

I like the try everything when your young plan. I think to often parents in particular take kids sport to seriously and try to turn a 10 year old into an elite athlete in a chosen sport. Play everything and see what you like sounds much better for little ones.

I agree, often those parents who've failed at that sport themselves...

of course, we do influence our litle ones, he never tried gymnastics as a child for example, as neither his dad nor me particularly liked it. (Although we did mention figure skating, even tough that's not our cup of tea either, as he was very good on skates. But he didn't want to as there was only girls in the group)

No spin class for me today, going out with the girls from work instead. Fun too mind you. I will try and squeeze a quicky on the stationary bike at the gym before.

16x 90 seconds run intervals last night. Tough but fun

2023-11-09 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nat, Hope you enjoyed a night out. 16x90sec high intensity sounds tough. Well done.

an hour on the treadmill last night, with 4x8min Z3 cruise intervals. Followed by a bit of a stretch as my left leg is feeling a bit tight after the weekends sprint tri.

Up in the predawn this morning for 1,000m in the pool.

Gearing up for a big weekend, 90min zwift, 1hr 45min run and 3 hr ride+30min brick run on the cards for the next couple of days.

Have a good weekend team.
2023-11-10 4:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
It was a fun evening out with the girls and I managed to spin on my own for over an hour before and I was in bed by 11pm so all good.

Damp 2023 still going strong, drank 2 x extra light beers (2,1%) and drove home. Feeling fresh this morning (unlike some of my co-workers)

Just signed up for my first race of 2024, half marathon on May 1st. yeah!

10k distance run tomorrow, I will suggest to my running partner to start increasing the distance in preparation for mt half mara, as we did this year.

A couple of hours distance on Zwift on Sunday

Have a nice weekend when you get there!
2023-11-10 8:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All--a quick note, as I have no idea how long the internet will hold out. It is terrible this year. Most days I can't get on to check my email (awww...shucks) and the BT mobile app doesn't allow me to post from Egypt. The site also seems to be smart enough to know that I'm in Egypt if I try to use the browser on my phone!

Anyway--everyone sounds like they are plugging along well.

Andrew--sounds like you had fun at your race!

Nat--ramping up to the HM for the winter training!

Fat Thor--bye (for now)! Welcome back Mike!

Nicole-sounds like you have a great block of time to really establish some solid habits without a lot of travel to interrupt.

For me, solid five runs last week and five so far this week. Tomorrow will be my long run (9.xx miles) and I'm still feeling super strong. I was worried about recovery from six runs a week, but so far things have been going okay in that department. Times are dropping too--could I be getting faster? What?!?!?! I don't want to count chickens before they hatch or anything, but this whole dedicated run training may actually work. Every run is faster than the same run last week. A lot of TP #1/#2 medals being sent my way too, so improvement is really showing in the metrics.
2023-11-11 7:11 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Back from a few (quite productive - a bonus!) days in Chicago on business facilitating a redesign session.  It's exhausting being "on" all-day plus dinner at night so I got home last night and slept like 10 hours.  I got in a couple of short workouts at the hotel gym on the Peloton and treadmill plus some core work, so a successful trip.

@Andrew:  good luck on the big weekend and upcoming peak weeks

@Gretchen:  you're enjoying the benefits of specification - every running publication/book I've read recommends running at least 5x/week to get real gains; not only are you getting the consistency and mileage but your running economy should improve; my best running period was back in early 2014 when I ran 5-6x/week during tri training

@Nathalie:  nice work getting in the spin work AND a fun night; I haven't found any super light beers around here and the best I can do is the high 3% range or 0%-ish.

@Nicole:  hope you're continuing to get out of the funk; and my Invisalign experience was more of a challenge traveling as I try to find places to discretely pull the trays out (sometimes a bit a of a wrestling match)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2023-11-12 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well not the perfect big weekend.

Sunday morning was absolutely perfect conditions for riding. I got about an hour into my long ride, wheel went bang, spoke exploded and my ride was over. No point damaging anything further to force a ride on a broken wheel. Walked the bike to a cafe and called Mrs Bullfrog to come rescue me.

Of course, that wheelset is 12 years old, so might be time for a replacement rather than a repair job. Don't want to spend too much though, there's a new bike in my not too distant future which will almost definitely be disk brakes. So $thousands worth of rim brake wheels would be a silly investment.

I did 90 minutes on zwift, followed by a brick run on the treadmill in the evening. So although I didn't get the 3 1/2 hour bike/run brick planned I did make up most of the lost time. And it's the total sum of training that's important right, so not too much damage done.

For the week:

Swim, x1, 1000m 25 min
Bike, x4, 6hr 12 min
Run, x4, 3hr 30
Strength/Mobility x1, 12 min

SBR for the week, 10 hours 7 minutes. Not perfect, but not bad for the start of the last big push.

2023-11-12 7:53 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, good job on the successful trip, both work and workouts.

@Nathalie. Yay for the race sign up! Which version of past Nat is going down this time?

@Gretchen. Trust despite the spotty internet Egypt is treating you well. Nice work with 5 runs a week. I'm going to add a big plus 1 to Mikes comment. Running frequency can help so much. It's going to be interesting to see the gains you end up with from this forced run focus block. I think we all know there will be gains. The only question is how big.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, with less broken bike parts than I did.
2023-11-13 1:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Mike, yes, those trips are exhausting, meetings all day, late nights. Well done on getting some workouts done! Going away to a sales conference next week. Can’t see a gym on the hotel’s website, hopefully I’ll be able to go for a run.

Sorry to hear about your equipment malfunction Andrew but well done on getting the work (almost) done anyway.
Hope you can repair it for a decent amount, or just pull the plug already and get that new bike now.

With that half marathon, I am going for the mighty 2023 Nat’s record. Should be doable though, as it was my first half mara and I took it easy.

90 minutes on Zwift watching Sweden play ice hockey yesterday and our usual 10k run on Saturday. My running partner is up for it, we are increasing the distance by half a km every 2 weeks, which should mean we are running a half marathon by the end of April.

Have a great week
2023-11-13 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Mike, yes, those trips are exhausting, meetings all day, late nights. Well done on getting some workouts done! Going away to a sales conference next week. Can’t see a gym on the hotel’s website, hopefully I’ll be able to go for a run.

Sorry to hear about your equipment malfunction Andrew but well done on getting the work (almost) done anyway.
Hope you can repair it for a decent amount, or just pull the plug already and get that new bike now.

With that half marathon, I am going for the mighty 2023 Nat’s record. Should be doable though, as it was my first half mara and I took it easy.

90 minutes on Zwift watching Sweden play ice hockey yesterday and our usual 10k run on Saturday. My running partner is up for it, we are increasing the distance by half a km every 2 weeks, which should mean we are running a half marathon by the end of April.

Have a great week

Honestly, if Canyon had any in stock I probably would be buying a new one I've had a chat with my bike mechanic, decision made replacement wheels. Not going to be aero or carbon or anything fun, but will at least be brand new bearings and brake surface. Has to help a little.

Most important question, did Sweden win?

Monday was a rest day. Back to work tonight.
2023-11-13 3:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Most important question, did Sweden win?

Yeah they did, not an important game/tournament but a win is a win.

So something new happened tonight and I did go to that strength training class my co-worker recommended. I have tried many of these but this is the best so far. Outdoors, music I like (80s stuff), and it’s always more fun when there is someone you know (there was 2 girls from work). The actual drills were nothing to write home about but still 3 times better than what I do on my own. I will definitely go back, maybe not every week but once or twice a month.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-11-14 10:22 AM
2023-11-14 7:42 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I don't know what I did here, ignore this

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-11-14 10:22 AM

2023-11-14 8:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!
Mike, welcome back from Chi-town! Long days are definitely tough and exhausting. After my conference a few weeks ago my social battery was completely depleted. I loved traveling with my coworkers, but definitely needed a little more alone time.

Andrew, sorry to hear about your bike tire! Glad no injuries came from it though.

Nat, that strength class sounds fun! Stuff like that in groups definitely makes it better, even if it's just basic strength. Also, I think basic strength exercises get a bad rap, but tried and true squats and such are great!

Gretchen, sad the internet is keeping you off line! Though I bet disconnecting can also be kind of nice. Hopefully you are saving up some stories for us!
2023-11-14 8:49 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm definitely getting out of my funk. I've had a clean house, some social time but also some recharging time, and have been getting back into my workout routine. I also signed up for the Celtic Solstice in mid-December, which is my race of the season, and will hopefully get me outside more.

Last week, I did 2 peloton rides and 2 runs, one of which was 5 miles and felt amazing, though my watch told me I needed 80 hours of rest...lol
I also had football playoffs on Saturday. We lost in semis and I ended up pulling my hamstring and stubbing my ring finger on my right hand. Also my hip was bothering me, so I'm walking around like an old lady. Yoga is badly needed, so I did some the last couple days, and really think if I was doing it regularly I wouldn't have been hurt. Using this as my motivation.

Overall, I'm happy and keeping up with a lot of my goals! Need to get my eating in order though.

Mike re: taking your trays out...you may eventually get over doing it in front of people. I usually keep some hand sanitizer with my case so I can use it right after I take them out, but I'll just turn away to do it now. I also used to brush my teeth after every meal but that died pretty quickly too, lol.
2023-11-14 9:12 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All-

I have no idea when I last posted, but since then Mike went to Chicago, Andrew broke his wheel (ouch!!--wallet and bike feelings!), Nicole aged 30 years, and Nathalie did some strength training...so...go everyone!!

I did some running...15km on Saturday, rest on Sunday, 40' on Monday, and a whopping 10' today due to a...situation. and that is all the more I will say about it. Yesterday I achieved the milestone of all the feral dog packs not chasing me and barking and biting me as I ran by...they have figured out that I am not going to hurt them and just slept through my run. That is always a great moment when it happens each season. This year there was only one super aggressive dog that actually bit me (I'm okay--didn't even break the skin and I think it probably surprised him more than it hurt me), so that was good. Big packs though...about 8-10 dogs in each pack in three different packs.
2023-11-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All-

I have no idea when I last posted, but since then Mike went to Chicago, Andrew broke his wheel (ouch!!--wallet and bike feelings!), Nicole aged 30 years, and Nathalie did some strength training...so...go everyone!!

I did some running...15km on Saturday, rest on Sunday, 40' on Monday, and a whopping 10' today due to a...situation. and that is all the more I will say about it. Yesterday I achieved the milestone of all the feral dog packs not chasing me and barking and biting me as I ran by...they have figured out that I am not going to hurt them and just slept through my run. That is always a great moment when it happens each season. This year there was only one super aggressive dog that actually bit me (I'm okay--didn't even break the skin and I think it probably surprised him more than it hurt me), so that was good. Big packs though...about 8-10 dogs in each pack in three different packs.

First of all, I lol'd at your summary

Second, running around dogs not on leashes are one of my biggest fears, so a pack of feral dogs would have me hiding in my apartment FOR SURE.
I can't remember if I told you all this story before, but my aunt used to have a Rottweiler and it once chased me around the living room (I was 6 and probably half its size, so QUITE scared) and they told me she was just playing and i should've stopped running. STOPPED RUNNING as an 80 lb dog chased me around...Anyway, that has drilled a few of running around dogs not on leashes into me.

Very interested in your 10 minute run...lol
2023-11-14 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Ooooo...very active today in BDAS land.

I've had a good start to the week with an hour bike yesterday, then a short bike, 30 minute run, and some strength work this morning.  Now that I'm in week 3 of my plan I'm starting to run faster during the strides (I do 3-4 for 15-20 seconds during each run except for my long run).  I also cut my hand building a wine bar in my house - I was using a big wrench to turn a lag screw and it slipped and slammed into my thumb.  So I'm out of swimming a few more days until it heals up - if I were in a swimming block I'd Tegaderm the thing but not going to bother in November.  For the record, I'm an idiot.

@Gretchen:  run with pepper spray - they'll never bother you again; wild dogs can be a bit frightening but like you said they're probably terrified of everything too

@Nathalie:  sounds like you did something like Body Pump here in the U.S. - I've done it a bunch of times and I'm always sore afterwards (usually a good sore); whatever gets you into the gym, right?  And I like how you're taking aim at still-in-2023 Nat - so you're mentoring your future self to kick your current self's azz - this sounds like something that would be in a Marvel movie

@Nicole:  enjoy your golden years!!

@Andrew:  glad nothing bad happened (other than the effed wheel): I really hate spending money to fix stuff and would rather buy new, but I guess that's what we have to do to get our bike(s) on the road

Speaking of equipment, I'm finally starting to ride the Stealth Bomber (my Planet X tri bike); my position is getting there but I can't stand the Adamo saddle I'm going back to an old one I used on my Fuji.  We'll see how that goes.

Hope everyone is having a good week so far!

2023-11-14 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nathalie, It may not be an important game, but winning a nothing game is a lot more enjoyable than losing one NIce work with your strength training class. Hope that it works out for you.

@Nicole, Sounds like you're kicking arse again. Nice work. How is the hamstring feeling? Hopefully your yoga plan is right and fixes things nicely for you

@Gretchen. Agree, excellent thread summary. Nice work logging all those desert miles. Got to agree about roaming dogs though, I can't stand them. I've never seen anything like multiple packs of 10 dogs, just 1 wandering around by itself is bad enough.

@Mike. A few years back I broke a bone in my little finger in a similar way, although I was trying to undo some bolts on the lawn mower. Very embarrassing to have to wear a cast because you were stupid It's funny how saddles are so individual, I love my ism (adamo brand) saddles. They made long rides in aero much more comfortable, and much less post ride numbness. Enjoy the TT riding, it is so much fun do get down in the aero position and go fast.

Me, 90 minutes on Zwift last night. 6 x 2.5' intervals at about 105% FTP. Tonight I'm going to try 90 minutes on the treadmill as my weekly long run, we're probably going away this weekend (weather dependant) so my usual weekend long run is out. Going to bank some hours earlier in the week.
2023-11-15 12:25 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work Nicole! I love reading about your football games, I miss playing ball sports. I assume it's touch football, right, no full on hits?

80 hours rest may be a bit much after a 5 miles run but maybe the watch knows something you don’t… well done keeping up wih your goals!

Yes, those classes they have at the gym have many names and are all slightly different I guess. Body pump is one of them, there is also the ”power” ones, power pump,power body, power step, the ”circle” ones, circle pump, etc
I am sure there is a ”Power body circle step pump ” out there.

This one does not have a name and the best bit is that it’s outdoors. A little sore the day after, but a good sore, as you say Mike. I was talking to another co-worker yesterday and convinced her to come and try, so there will be 4 of us from work next time. There will be some strength training this off season. Yipee!
And LOL, yes, it does sound like I am nurturing my future self to come back and kick me but 2023 Nat is a past Nat already, as the season is over. I am building 2024 Nat right now. A stronger version and faster on the bike.

Sorry to hear about your hand Mike, but it was for a good cause.

Packs of feral dogs chasing you sounds like a good way to work on your speed. Scary but I’d rather have dogs chasing me than men. How sick is that?

Run intervals tonight, on the menu, 3x8 minutes alternating just over threshold with just under (90” over, 90 under, 75 over, etc). Tough but
fun again, I love these trainings!

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-11-15 2:24 AM
2023-11-15 7:50 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Another 35' foundation run in the books this morning. Only three dogs this morning in one spot...annoying, but not the end of the world here. I'm with Nat though...I'd rather have to run away from dogs than men, any day of the week.
2023-11-15 10:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, ouchie! Hopefully that heals soon. Nice job on the other sports though!

Nat, correct it is 2 hand touch, definitely not into the contact sports! I'm too old for that stuff.
Way to go getting another coworker to join! Yay accountability!

Andrew, hamstring is still tight, but much better! Thanks for asking. Good luck getting those hours of training in early in the week works. How was the 90 minute dreadmill run?

Gretchen, great job on consistency!

I got a 30 minute ride in this morning. Still dilly-dallying in the morning. I should get way more in. Need to look at my morning habits and make some changes (likely moving phone across the room so I have to get out of bed before I look at it).
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland