Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-11-15 7:56 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by nicole14e

Andrew, hamstring is still tight, but much better! Thanks for asking. Good luck getting those hours of training in early in the week works. How was the 90 minute dreadmill run?

Actually it wasn't too bad. I find treadmill runs are so much better doing some sort of intervals to mix things up so I did 30 minutes easy then 4x12'Z3, 3' easy. Definitely not as enjoyable as a run along the waterfront with the dog, but not the worst thing in the world. A pretty good workout too.

2023-11-16 1:45 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by Rollergirl

80 hours rest may be a bit much after a 5 miles run but maybe the watch knows something you don’t…

I had a headache all day yesterday (and half the night before) and felt nauseous (some kind of migraine, I am used to it). Took it easy at training but still went of course, it helps.

And you know what, my watch recommended 3 and a half days rest too after that. So it knows things. I don’t intend to rest for 3 and half days, as I know what I have but I would be a little careful if I didn’t , Nicole, juts in case it knows so something you don’t.

2023-11-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Andrew, hamstring is still tight, but much better! Thanks for asking. Good luck getting those hours of training in early in the week works. How was the 90 minute dreadmill run?

Actually it wasn't too bad. I find treadmill runs are so much better doing some sort of intervals to mix things up so I did 30 minutes easy then 4x12'Z3, 3' easy. Definitely not as enjoyable as a run along the waterfront with the dog, but not the worst thing in the world. A pretty good workout too.

That's good! I eventually would like to get a treadmill for winter but I guess for now I'm going to just suck it up and run outside.
2023-11-16 8:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

80 hours rest may be a bit much after a 5 miles run but maybe the watch knows something you don’t…

I had a headache all day yesterday (and half the night before) and felt nauseous (some kind of migraine, I am used to it). Took it easy at training but still went of course, it helps.

And you know what, my watch recommended 3 and a half days rest too after that. So it knows things. I don’t intend to rest for 3 and half days, as I know what I have but I would be a little careful if I didn’t , Nicole, juts in case it knows so something you don’t.

I think my watch is just a bit dramatic Though I did take the day off after my run and saved myself for football. Granted, I did pull my hamstring (sprinting) so who knows!
2023-11-16 8:42 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went on my first run today since my hamstring. It felt okay at first, just tight, but after a little over a mile I decided to take it easy and do a run walk the rest of the way home. Did some stretching when I got there. My left knee was bothering me too. I also weighed in at my heaviest ever the other day...need to really get my diet in check. That was shocking and not fun to see.
2023-11-16 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I think my watch is just a bit dramatic Though I did take the day off after my run and saved myself for football. Granted, I did pull my hamstring (sprinting) so who knows!

After my sprint tri the a couple of weeks ago I think my watch was up to 98 hours recovery. Don't listen to Mr Garmin, nobody needs that sort of negativity in their life.

2023-11-16 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole, Be gentle with that hamstring. It's hard to do, but much better to come back a little slowly than too fast and make the injury worse.

@Nat, Have a good long run with your friend this weekend. The demise of 2023 Nat has begun.

@Mike, hope the hand is better.

@Gretchen, nice work keeping up with your runs in the desert. Hope you avoid the wild dogs.

Me, 60 minutes easy Z1/2 riding on zwift Thursday night. No workout today as I'm about to leave work early and head to the beach with the kids and some friends. Not the worst thing to do. I'm hoping to run once or twice while away, and have a big 3 1/2 hour brick session planned for Sunday night when we're back home.

Have a good weekend all.
2023-11-17 1:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

After my sprint tri the a couple of weeks ago I think my watch was up to 98 hours recovery. Don't listen to Mr Garmin, nobody needs that sort of negativity in their life.

After my 140.6 my watch said 30 hours of recovery. I was a bit taken aback by that, but hey, I do what the metrics tell me! :D. I did actually wait like 58 hours, from Sunday night until Wednesday morning. :P
2023-11-17 1:28 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All-

A bit of a rough morning here, a tiny bit hung over after a few drinks to celebrate my 24th anniversary yesterday and drown a terrible day of work in which many new and extremely time consuming (and not fun) tasks were identified. I'm officially a light weight now...three drinks and I was feeling it this morning.

Back up though...since my last post we have a Wednesday foundation run, Thursday fartlek run, and today's foundation run. All felt okay-ish to good, but could have been better.

Everyone sounds like they are chugging along. Nicole--take care of that hamstring! Those soft tissue injuries can last forever.
2023-11-20 1:47 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All-

A bit of a rough morning here, a tiny bit hung over after a few drinks to celebrate my 24th anniversary yesterday and drown a terrible day of work in which many new and extremely time consuming (and not fun) tasks were identified. I'm officially a light weight now...three drinks and I was feeling it this morning.

Congratulations on your anniversary, 24 years is a long time and something to be celebrated.

I feel your pain with being a lightweight. Sailing Bullfrog could drink Triathlon Bullfrog under the table 7 days a week. Not sure how much is the change in lifestyle vs getting older, but it's 100% a fact.
2023-11-20 1:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well last week was not great.

I did get out for a run Saturday when we were at the beach. But a bit like Gretchen I may have over indulged with the happy juice, and had a couple of late nights followed by child enforced early mornings. Long story short Sunday night I was absolutely shattered. So rather than try to do my long ride/brick workout, do a terrible job of it and write off half of the next week recovering I had an unplanned rest day. The kids did have a great time at the beach playing with their friends though. So the weekend wasn't all bad.

To compensate, Monday rest day got changed to Monday big workout day, as there is no point having back to back days off. So I started the week with 1,000m swim after work and a 90 minute zwift ride/30 min brick run in the evening. A nice little Monday afternoon/evening triathlon for one.

This is my last big week of 70.3 training. It's going to be tough but I am trying to alternate big and small days to get some recovery throughout the week, and am prioritising sleep, until the weekend everything should be in the evenings, so I should be able to get my 8 hours every night no dark o'çlock wake ups this week.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

2023-11-20 3:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Congratulations, Gretchen!!  And yeah, I'm getting a little lighter-weight in my older years as well. 

@Andrew:  great workout today (well, yesterday I guess for you).  Hit this week's efforts and you should be in good shape.

I've been hit or miss the past few days.  My self-inflicted hand wound wasn't getting better so I went to urgent care and they hooked me up with steroids for a few days to alleviate the inflammation.  It's helping so that's good but I haven't swam in forever - maybe 3K yards since my race October 1st.  Oh well, at least my running is coming along and I got in a 4.5 miles today easy with my daughter, who is gearing up for another half marathon in a couple of weeks. 

We also had my daughter's college graduation party here yesterday with like 50 people which was a lot of prep and cleanup, so I'm also toast.  I did get some good news that I won't be part of the "return to the office" push from my company, so work at home for the foreseeable future it is.

2023-11-21 4:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Another lightweight here but I least, I (think I) know it now. Am away at a sales conference in the UK right now. Last night at dinner I managed to stick to ONE glass of wine. It was easy mind you, as it was not very good but still, pat on the back for Nat. I did drain 2 pints of lager at the airport before flying but they don’t count.

Congrats Gretchen on your 24th anniversary. I assume it’s your wedding anniversary we are talking about, which you celebratee without your other half? Or are you back home? Or is she with you in Egypt?

There is a gym at the hotel, which I will pay a visit to after work today, before dinner, and maybe tomorrow morning before work (although knowing me, I doubt I will)

Hope your hand gets better Mike

So you just had your rest day on the Sunday instead of the Monday Andrew. No big deal. In fact, no deal at all.
2023-11-21 8:51 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Congrats Gretchen on your 24th anniversary. I assume it’s your wedding anniversary we are talking about, which you celebratee without your other half? Or are you back home? Or is she with you in Egypt?

Anniversary of the day we became an official couple and started living together (yes...the math on those two events is a little dicey...:P ). 24 years ago we couldn't legally get married in the US. We got officially married in March of 2012 (I think...I think...) after it became legal in Illinois, but we always celebrate the 16th of Nov as our anniversary. Neither one of us can actually remember the day we actually got married--thank goodness they put it on the marriage license, or we'd be screwed.

As for celebrating...we spend most of our anniversaries apart anymore. I think the last one we were together was 2020 (obv) and before that maybe 2016...we have a long history of separation on our anniversary, but we make it work. Celebrating/drowning my sorrows that I was alone? You pick.
2023-11-21 8:54 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Whew! I'm super glad to see some activity today! I've been checking on my phone (where I can't post from) and no activity made me worry the site had been shut down.

Anyway...I have no idea where we are in the week, but I know I did my long run (15km) on Saturday, rest on Sunday, and then yesterday was a fartlek run and today was a foundation run. All were fine...but nothing spectacular. It is a cutback week, so I'm chalking it up to a bit of fatigue in the legs. I freaked everyone here out completely on Sunday by sleeping until 7:15am. Keep in mind I normally get up at 4:30, do my run, study my Arabic for 30' and then make coffee and have breakfast with the team before we all start working at 7am. To sleep until 7:15 is unheard of (for me!). I guess I was tired.
2023-11-21 10:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

As for celebrating...we spend most of our anniversaries apart anymore. I think the last one we were together was 2020 (obv) and before that maybe 2016...we have a long history of separation on our anniversary, but we make it work. Celebrating/drowning my sorrows that I was alone? You pick.

Funny, I would never think about celebrating our anniversary without my other half. Mind you, even with him as we are not married and have no idea what days 1)we met, 2)became a couple, or when we 3) moved in together, only that it was in September all three of them.
(1998, 2000 and 2001)

2023-11-21 11:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Whew! I'm super glad to see some activity today! I've been checking on my phone (where I can't post from) and no activity made me worry the site had been shut down.

I guess we should look into that Facebook Group or whichever other alternative forum we discussed, in case it does get closed down suddenly.

Found the hotel gym and did 15 minutes treadmill , 20 minutes peleton and 15 minutes treadmill again. Goes under BTN (better than nothing)

2023-11-21 6:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I guess we should look into that Facebook Group or whichever other alternative forum we discussed, in case it does get closed down suddenly.

You're probably right, what is the group consensus for a post BT backup group?

Facebook group?
Strava club?
A different forum?

I'm happy to set something up as a back up whatever the group agrees too... Just not ticktok, we're not children . Although we should stay here as long as we can, it's not much but page clicks with adds present is a bit of support for BT.
2023-11-21 7:20 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Gretchen, I would be in big trouble if work took me away for our anniversary. 9 years married coming up next week for us. Ticking off the workouts with 'machine' like intensity as always. How much has your run volume jumped up compared to your more balanced tri training? Or do you think your fatuige is more from real/work life catching up?

@Mike. I hope you get a TUE for those steroids Hopefully it knocks it on the head and you're back in action soon. Yay for not having to go to the office. Personally I like going in, getting away from the distractions of home helps my productivity, but having options is nice

@Nat, Hope you're enjoying the UK. Come on, get in there before work. You'll feel happy you did if you make it.

For myself, Tuesday night was Mr 6s Athletics. Only the 2nd one we've made out of 6 scheduled... Yay Auckland spring weather and after that I did an hour on the treadmill with 4x8' Z3 cruise intervals. A medium workout day. Tonight is 2 hours on zwift, with some 70.3 (high Z2/low Z3) intervals, another big day.
2023-11-22 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Whew! I'm super glad to see some activity today! I've been checking on my phone (where I can't post from) and no activity made me worry the site had been shut down.
You're probably right, what is the group consensus for a post BT backup group? Facebook group? Strava club? A different forum? I'm happy to set something up as a back up whatever the group agrees too... Just not ticktok, we're not children . Although we should stay here as long as we can, it's not much but page clicks with adds present is a bit of support for BT.

Agreed we should stay here as long as we can but have a backup.  I'm good with FB to start then maybe we can use Discord or Geneva - Janyne over in the Manatees group did something pretty well on Geneva for them.

2023-11-22 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Whew! I'm super glad to see some activity today! I've been checking on my phone (where I can't post from) and no activity made me worry the site had been shut down.
You're probably right, what is the group consensus for a post BT backup group? Facebook group? Strava club? A different forum? I'm happy to set something up as a back up whatever the group agrees too... Just not ticktok, we're not children . Although we should stay here as long as we can, it's not much but page clicks with adds present is a bit of support for BT.

Agreed we should stay here as long as we can but have a backup.  I'm good with FB to start then maybe we can use Discord or Geneva - Janyne over in the Manatees group did something pretty well on Geneva for them.

I guess this means I'm officially old, I have absolutely no idea what a 'geneva - Janyne' is.

In the meantime, the backup is online: www.facebook.com/groups/1873971316374700/

Edited by bulfrog 2023-11-22 6:59 PM

2023-11-22 7:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good ride last night, 2 hours with 3x20min race pace efforts. Happy that what was a long ride a few months ago is now just a run of the mill Wednesday night.

Thats 5 1/2 hours SBR over the first 3 days of the week, half the big week is done. Tonight is a bit of a rest. Not zero workout but the plan (weather and child tiredness levels dependant) is to head to the beach and take part in a Thursday night open water swim race. I'll be doing 1,000m so should be only 20 minutes or so.
2023-11-22 11:24 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I guess this means I'm officially old, I have absolutely no idea what a 'geneva - Janyne' is.

In the meantime, the backup is online: www.facebook.com/groups/1873971316374700/

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Janyne is a person...long time BTer active in the Manatees group (I think).

Plus one on the not knowing what Geneva is though. I'm old too.
2023-11-22 11:31 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew--thanks for setting up the FB group as a backup. Hang on here as long as we're allowed in the front door, but nice to have a backup plan in place already. I think you asked about volume in marathon training compared to IM plan, and right now they are pretty similar. At the end of the IM plan I was running three times a week for a total of about 5-6 hours per week (3 hour long run, two 1:00-1:15 runs per week). I'm about that right now, with 5 30-40 min runs and one long run (~2 hrs), but this is week three of the marathon plan compared to the last week of IM training, so I expect volume to be nearly double by the time I get to the race specific training weeks. We shall see. I am seeing serious gains right now, so I'm happy to keep running.

Nathalie--hope you're feeling better!

Mike and Nicole (and Jenn if you're about)--Happy Thanksgiving!

News from the Desert: I drank way too much yesterday while preparing the desserts for Thanksgiving dinner, so I was awake at 2am...metabolized alcohol sugars do that to me. So, what's a girl to do but get up and make cinnamon rolls? I did a "hill repeat" workout while my dough was rising...in quotes because there are no hills to speak of here, so I just had to turn it essentially into a sprint workout (9/10 RPE for 30", with 1:30 RI). It was fun.

2023-11-23 6:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Good ride last night, 2 hours with 3x20min race pace efforts. Happy that what was a long ride a few months ago is now just a run of the mill Wednesday night.

sure sign!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland