of 15

2008-05-13 5:20 AM
in reply to: #1396554

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Jnowash's Group - CLOSED!
tri4mom - 2008-05-12 11:20 AM

Jenny,I think your anti rain dance worked! Rain held off untill I was done with second run. Thanks everyone for the encouragment. I just got back from my long weekend from race and spending time with my mother. I"ll report race details later, gotta pick up kiddo

Yay! Glad the rain held off for you!

2008-05-13 5:21 AM
in reply to: #1395759

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
pole_dancer - 2008-05-12 5:51 AM

I rode a nice organized ride this weekend.  A 64 mile hilly (hense the name "Big Hill Challenge" ) supported tour.  This ride was the first organized ride I did when I started riding last year.  I did the 10 mile family loop then and was pretty much hooked!

This ride was the longest so far this year.  The hills sapped a little out of me, my average MPH was only 12.4, but was great for endurance training.

My goals for the coming week:
Monday - ride 20 plus mile if the weather allows, spin class and a 3 mile run on the track if not.
Tuesday - Step class plus 1500 yds swimming
Wednesday - rest day
Thursday - ride 20 plus miles and a 3 mile run through the park if the weather allows, 6 mile run on the track if not.
Friday - 3 mile run plus 1500 yds swimming
Saturday - long ride
Sunday - long ride 

Good job on a long, hilly ride! Those hills can be tough! Your legs will thank you for it later in the season!
2008-05-13 5:23 AM
in reply to: #1397463

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
kt_grl11 - 2008-05-12 3:47 PM

OK, well here are my goals for the week (i cannot comment on last week, b/c i didn't make any goals..oops)..
Monday: run 20-30min, lift
Tuesday: bike ~25mi, lift
Wednesday: bike (or run), depending on weather
Thursday-Monday: going to Mexico (woohoo) for vacation, so no more goals for the week.
However, I do plan on swimming in the ocean (as much as possible), so I will definately try to work on distance swimming and sighting (i have a hard time running in a straight line, so it might be even more interesting in the water).

Have a GREAT TIME on your vacation in Mexico!! (I'm jealous!) Enjoy your ocean swimming (but do it safely!)
2008-05-13 5:26 AM
in reply to: #1397897

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
kofian - 2008-05-12 7:16 PM

Weekly Goals:
Monday: day off
Tuesday: run/swim brick, hopefully get swim up to 2000 yd
Wednesday: travel to DC and back in one piece
Thursday: travel to CT and meet my boss's boss's boss -- my mantra will be "I love doing triathlons, so I don't scare easy".
Friday: wow, I'm glad Jenny made us write down some goals, my local bike club has a Friday evening paces ride (that I completely forgot about) -- so as long as I hustle out of my all day meeting, change clothes at the Burger King, and unrack my bike before 6pm, I'm there!

Phew! Sounds like a busy week with travel and all (and meeting the boss's boss's boss!) Have fun on your club pace ride - sounds like fun!
2008-05-13 5:33 AM
in reply to: #1398248

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tri4mom - 2008-05-12 9:46 PM

Hello all my race went pretty good. I did pretty average. I was 65 out of 153 females. I pretty much suck at the bike leg but I can't expect much. I have only been outside on my bike about 8 rides and 2 were at the 2 duatholns. I just got my road bike and don't really know how to use my gears . I haven't really rode bike other then when I was a kid. So I don't really expect much. I can avg on a flat surface 17-18mph but with hills it really cut my average down. I can't get over the hills! ! I am passed by everyone around and I wish I could get off and run it up the hills, not kidding I am so slow over the hills. I could almost tip over. The good part is I have lots of room for improvement. The du was 5 k run ,bike 12, 5 k run . My first run pace was 7:40 trans 1:16, bike no laughing 51:43 15.7mph trans 1:30 2nd run 7:30 pace. I am pretty happy even with my crappy bike time for it was minnesota hilly and I"ll take whatever time I can get. I really just want to do this race to learn what it feels like to do one sport after another and learn what works and what doesn't and how to get through my trans quickly. My tri is not untill July and when I add the swim, well that will be a whole new issue( I am not a swimmer). So I walk away happy with what I have done for that race and look forward to the next.

My goals for this week start to taper 2 week till marathon day
Mon bike 10
Tues swim 35-40 min run 4
Wed run 5
Thurs swim 30 run 4
fri bike 6 run 4
sat off
sun run 10

I will really try to eat healthy and get to bed early this week.

Great job on your race, Tania! Congratulations! With your run pace, when you get the biking down you'll be a force to recon with! Biking hills is tough... and the only way really to get better at it is to get out there and do it... Learning to use your gears properly will go a long way. What you want to shoot for is to try your best to keep your leg cadence consistent. So, that means, when you're going up hills, you want to shift into lower and lower gears (less resistance) as you climb. On long or steep hills you might "run out of gears" and your cadence will naturally drop then. But on shorter or less steep hills, you might be able to keep your cadence pretty consistent with your flat road cadence with proper gearing. It takes practice, but you'll get the hang of it! Hopefully the weather is getting warm enough up there that you can get out and ride at least a couple times/week. Before you know it, shifting gears will be second nature to you.

2008-05-13 5:44 AM
in reply to: #1397445

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
lesleyann - 2008-05-12 3:41 PM

Hi all. I did accomplish my goal last week of getting in the open water. In fact, I did 3 times! Each time it improved 100%. Saturday the water was 57 though and we didn't stay in too long but mentally it was good to get in and deal with it! I have my first sprint tri this sunday and I am feeling prepared.

Goal for this week:

1 OWS, ride the mount gretna course.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how much to do this week??? I had been following a program from active.com but I found it to be to easy and really haven't been following so I don't really know what to do this week. One thing I do know is that i am starting to get a shin splint on the left and don't really think I should run much at all this week. Today I did a 45 minute spin class and ran for 20 mins. Tomorrow is OWS day. I may even get a swim in tonight. I was thinking I may try some yoga this week because I am pretty tight.

Lesley

The main thing to keep in mind is that you're really not going to do anything this week that will help you "gain fitness" before your race on Sunday, so there's no need to go out and do anything real hard this week. I would suggest a couple sessions each of swim/bike between now and Thursday. Include a run session or 2 if your developing shin splint feels okay. Keep your workouts short-ish, and include a few bursts of speed. Take Friday off, and Saturday, do maybe 10 - 15 minutes each of s/b/r if you can. Eat well and get plenty of rest this week, and include some stretching or maybe yoga in your routine. The idea is to go into your race this weekend with your muscles well-rested and ready to work hard!

Good luck this weekend!!!

2008-05-13 5:51 AM
in reply to: #1398432

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
twylite148 - 2008-05-13 4:34 AM

Hey gang! Finally made it back to the thread. Have a lot of catching up to do. Work and illness kicked me last week. Goal this week? Stay healthy!

Hey, any of ya'll doing yoga? Do you like it? Why? And what part of tri do you think it improves the most?

I do yoga as my schedule permits. I really enjoy it, and should probably do it more. I think it has helped improve my range of motion, which IMO, probably helps avoid injury. As touchy-feely as this sounds, I also feel like it helped me develop more of a "mind-body" connection. If you belong to a gym, and they have a class you can take - go give it a try! There are also lots of good Yoga DVD's out there, but I like to go to classes in person at least every so often though, because the instructor can let me know if I'm doing poses incorrectly....
2008-05-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1398448

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.

Question on transitions: do you wear socks??? I haven't tried wearing my cycling shoes without socks yet but just ordered the new zoot racers so i won't need socks on the run. I think i will try to go sockless today on the bike to try it out.

Also, SWIM CAP FALLING OFF: sometimes during long swims, my cap comes off and i have to stop and adjust. What if this happens in a race??? Should i just let it fall off or fix it quick? Any pointers on how to prevent this? i have long hair and have it twisted in a ponytail holer.

Lesley
2008-05-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1398452

User image

Master
Vista, CA
jsnowash - 2008-05-13 3:51 AM
twylite148 - 2008-05-13 4:34 AM

Hey gang! Finally made it back to the thread. Have a lot of catching up to do. Work and illness kicked me last week. Goal this week? Stay healthy!

Hey, any of ya'll doing yoga? Do you like it? Why? And what part of tri do you think it improves the most?

I do yoga as my schedule permits. I really enjoy it, and should probably do it more. I think it has helped improve my range of motion, which IMO, probably helps avoid injury. As touchy-feely as this sounds, I also feel like it helped me develop more of a "mind-body" connection. If you belong to a gym, and they have a class you can take - go give it a try! There are also lots of good Yoga DVD's out there, but I like to go to classes in person at least every so often though, because the instructor can let me know if I'm doing poses incorrectly....

Regarding Yoga -- thought I'd chime in here. Been doing yoga for years. Remember there are MANY different kinds of yoga. Most are hatha yoga, but even in that definition there are various types. Some of the descriptions you might hear are power yoga, which you'll find mostly at gyms and uses more muscular strength, hatha (used as a general term) usually means soft stretching, iyengar (sp?) uses props quite a bit and holds poses for quite some time. Hot yoga or Bikram is done is a super heated room and follows a set routine of poses. Ashtanga is a more physical type of yoga that ties poses together with the breath, as do most Vinyasa classes -- a more flowing style of movement. I know it may sound confusing, but just remember all yoga isn't created equal. It depends heavily on who the teacher is!! I've known people who've been adjusted in a class and gotten injured and I've personally been adjusted and not had problems. Biggest thing is to as for most things physical LISTEN TO YOUR OWN BODY and trust your edge. Currently, I'm doing a yoga for runners class on Friday mornings right now and I do yoga stretches at home all the time. I now prefer "my own yoga class" at home most of the time.

There's a good video on this BT site about yoga for triathletes you may want to check out as well. I watched part of it. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... />

If you go with videos/DVD's you may want to try Rodney Yee's series. They are pretty good and start with the beginner ones. I agree with Jenny, it helps the mental concentration and the mind-body connection. I figure the yogis have been doing this for thousands of years -- it obviously helps them or the tradition wouldn't have survived so long!

That was a longer "chime" than I had planned. :-)

Edited by lmscozz 2008-05-13 10:26 AM
2008-05-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1399018

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Forgot -- the stretching over time WILL help you prevent injury and be more flexible. I think it helps to support you in the transitions from biking position to running, too.
2008-05-13 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1398828

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
lesleyann - 2008-05-13 9:25 AM

Thanks for the great advice! I appreciate it.

Question on transitions: do you wear socks??? I haven't tried wearing my cycling shoes without socks yet but just ordered the new zoot racers so i won't need socks on the run. I think i will try to go sockless today on the bike to try it out.

Socks or no socks is really a matter of personal preference, and how important the time it would take you to put them on is to you... My first season, I went sockless on the bike, but wore socks for the run. Last season, I went sockless all the way, but I trained both biking and running without socks to make sure it wouldn't be a problem for me. For my HIM, I'll probably go sockless on the bike, but wear socks for the run. I've never run that far without socks, plus the run is partly on trails.

Also, SWIM CAP FALLING OFF: sometimes during long swims, my cap comes off and i have to stop and adjust. What if this happens in a race??? Should i just let it fall off or fix it quick? Any pointers on how to prevent this? i have long hair and have it twisted in a ponytail holer.

How old is your swim cap? I think they kind of stretch out after a while... In most races, you're given a nice new swim cap to wear, and since they're new, they're usually pretty snug. I think you have to wear the cap they give you during the entire swim. Hopefully it won't come off during the race (how long is your swim??). You could email the race director, tell him you've had this problem, and ask if the cap falls off do you need to put it back on. Swimming without the cap will cause some extra drag, but on a short swim, I don't think it would matter enough to make it worth stopping to put the cap back on if you don't have to.

2008-05-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1356403

User image

Veteran
Jenny,

thanks. My swim cap is only 3 months old but i know the chlorine can beat things up. You are right. I will get a new cap for the races so I should be fine.

lesley
2008-05-14 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1401034

lesleyann - 2008-05-13 9:37 PM

Jenny,

thanks. My swim cap is only 3 months old but i know the chlorine can beat things up. You are right. I will get a new cap for the races so I should be fine.

lesley

Lesley:
My Water Gear silicon cap tore in half after only 3 months, despite careful rinsing and storage. I immediately ordered a new SWIMSUIT, as I sure didn't want that happening to my bathing attire!
-Arden
2008-05-14 8:06 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Soooo....

Just wondering WHO'S RACING this weekend???
2008-05-14 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Middle Tennessee
I've got another nice long supported ride this weekend - 62 miles.
2008-05-15 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
I am!!! This Sunday is my first tri at Pinchot state park in lewisberry pa. Its a sprint. I live close so I have had the opportunity to ride the course a few times, swam in the lake, and run the trail. I should be ok. The weather is questionable but last Saturday we did a run through of the whole course and it was barely 60, water 57, and drizzling.

I tried the sockless thing last night and it worked out fine. I am certainly not going to be very competitive but I would like to do the best I can.

I am thinking about adding aero bars to my road bike. Any advice on this. Don't know much about aerobars but it seems to be the way to go.

Any thoughts on me getting a deep tissue massage on saturday, day before race?? is that a bad idea
Lesley

Edited by lesleyann 2008-05-15 2:54 PM

2008-05-15 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
WOO-HOO! Good luck Lesley! Can't wait to hear how your race goes!!!
2008-05-16 12:06 PM

Leselyann. I just got back from my message. It was great. I use to get them all the time in my old running days. Have you had a deep tissue message before? I think there great, kinda a good hurt. I don't think I would get that kind the day before a race. Its a pretty deep pressure and It depends on who does it. I have walked away thinking I paid for that and felt like my body took a beating . I would just get a message and get everything loose and relaxed and if your soar after the race wait a few days and then get a deep tissue but make sure you wait a few days. Not sure if any one else has any other thoughts? Good luck have fun!

Edited by tri4mom 2008-05-16 12:26 PM
2008-05-16 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
I ended up canceling the massage for saturday and had on thursday afternoon. it was good but i have had better. I don't feel sore today. I need to find someone good to go to ever week. I have a very, very tight left calf and it is killing me.
2008-05-17 4:30 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lesley -

Are you doing any stretching for your sore calf muscles? You could also try The Stick:

http://www.thestick.com/

I have one, and it really works pretty well as a self-massage tool for sore spots!
2008-05-17 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
I have been doing some stretches but probably could do more. Thanks for the tip on the stick. I just ordered one!

lesley

2008-05-17 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California
Anyone hitting the groove while training or racing? I had the most improbable 'groovy' moment today when swimming. I hadn't worked out since a very brief run on Thursday (nothing Wednesday or Friday) plus a glass of wine too many didn't make for an auspicious start this morning.

But the day dawned bright blue, in the mid-60s, and I decided to bike to the gym to work out. At the gym I ran, did my shoulder therapy, and then hopped in the pool. I felt so relaxed in the water, no panic when approaching a flip turn. My lungs finally felt like a muscle that had been adequately trained. I felt like my body was skimming the surface of the water, gliding through the laps. It was a great ride back home to cap it off.

Hope each of you are finding your groove! Margot
2008-05-18 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!

First race under my belt in less than adequate conditions!!! Even got 3rd in my age group! It started to down pour as soon as I started running and the trail was absolutely miserable!!! Complete mud and several deep puddles. Still a lot of fun though. Think I might upgrade my bike though

Margot: isn't it great when that happens. I struggled so much with swimming and then just one day I swam and swam and could have keep going. The hard work eventually pays off if you keep at it!

Lesley
2008-05-18 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1409255

User image

Master
Vista, CA

lesleyann - 2008-05-18 10:49 AM WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!! First race under my belt in less than adequate conditions!!! Even got 3rd in my age group! It started to down pour as soon as I started running and the trail was absolutely miserable!!! Complete mud and several deep puddles. Still a lot of fun though. Think I might upgrade my bike though Margot: isn't it great when that happens. I struggled so much with swimming and then just one day I swam and swam and could have keep going. The hard work eventually pays off if you keep at it! Lesley

Big CONGRATULATIONS, Lesley!!!!! Wow. 3rd in your age group, too. You rock! that's great. And, when we hit a "zone" whether it's swim, bike or run - so sweet. A nice reward for all of our hard work. Hope you got pictures of you in the mud run! :-)

btw-- Did you get a trophy or what for 3rd?? 

~Lynn

Edited by lmscozz 2008-05-18 1:41 PM
2008-05-18 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
My boyfriend did a less than adequate job on the pix I did get much on the run though because it was on a wooded trail, just at the end.

I got a medal

Lesley

Edited by lesleyann 2008-05-18 8:01 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jnowash's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 15