Other Resources Challenge Me! » August Challenge (Run,Swim,Bike, Weightloss, and/or Other) - CASUAL Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 15

2008-08-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1556808

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: August Challenge (Run,Swim,Bike, Weightloss, and/or Other) - CASUAL

hi all!

I'm back from my vacation

here are my goals for the month

6 hrs bike

5 hrs run

4 hrs swim

4 core/strength sessions

2008-08-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1580286

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: August Challenge (Run,Swim,Bike, Weightloss, and/or Other) - CASUAL
runrachierun - 2008-08-04 10:42 AM

lyssa-gator - 2008-08-04 12:01 PM

runrachierun - 2008-08-04 8:44 AM

lyssa-gator - 2008-08-04 10:37 AM

had a freaking great ride yesterday, taking a day OFF today because i'm just plain smoked. i WILL however make a dent in my crunches goal for the month.

my ride yesterday was epic for me. it may look like a cute little 10 mile ride to the major cyclers on here, but the HILLS were long and steep. the longest training ride i had done on my old bike was on relativly flat roads and about 4 miles. so the new bike is good. the ride was hard, but good. my stuff is sore from my saddle today, so i'm NOT riding today. LOL

Nice...I had my longest ride ever yesterday, as well. I went about 28 miles...around Mercer Island twice! I planned on going once, but it felt so easy that I left my fiancee and did it again.

Today I have a long run and light swim planned.

nice ride!! 28 miles! wow! i'll get there someday, someday SOON. and at mercer? isn't that where the danskin ride is? out I90 to mercer and back?? i can't remember now, and i don't know my islands very well (i always get mercer and whidby mixed up LOL)

Danskin is out on I-90 to Mercer and back to Genessee Park! I went around the Island.

I had never ridden twelve miles before my first tri and I am just so excited!

i didn't realize you were doing danskin too!! hooray! i'm so excited!! i was totally flipping out about the swim (well, i still kind of am) as i can swim about 50 meters without stopping, and the race is 700 meters!! LOL but lynnes said there are swim angels with noodles out there, so my game plan is to survive the swim, and hopefully make up some time on the bike and run.

hopefully i'll meet you!! i think lynne said a bunch of us bt kids were hooking up saturday sometime, that's about as much as i know.
2008-08-04 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1580719

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
lyssa-gator - 2008-08-04 2:25 PM

had a freaking great ride yesterday, taking a day OFF today because i'm just plain smoked. i WILL however make a dent in my crunches goal for the month.

my ride yesterday was epic for me. it may look like a cute little 10 mile ride to the major cyclers on here, but the HILLS were long and steep. the longest training ride i had done on my old bike was on relativly flat roads and about 4 miles. so the new bike is good. the ride was hard, but good. my stuff is sore from my saddle today, so i'm NOT riding today. LOL

Nice...I had my longest ride ever yesterday, as well. I went about 28 miles...around Mercer Island twice! I planned on going once, but it felt so easy that I left my fiancee and did it again.

nice ride!! 28 miles! wow! i'll get there someday, someday SOON. and at mercer? isn't that where the danskin ride is? out I90 to mercer and back?? i can't remember now, and i don't know my islands very well (i always get mercer and whidby mixed up LOL)

Danskin is out on I-90 to Mercer and back to Genessee Park! I went around the Island.

i didn't realize you were doing danskin too!! hooray! i'm so excited!! i was totally flipping out about the swim (well, i still kind of am) as i can swim about 50 meters without stopping, and the race is 700 meters!! LOL but lynnes said there are swim angels with noodles out there, so my game plan is to survive the swim, and hopefully make up some time on the bike and run.

hopefully i'll meet you!! i think lynne said a bunch of us bt kids were hooking up saturday sometime, that's about as much as i know.

Lynne and I are supposed to get our packets together...maybe we can meet up at the expo?

Do you have a wetsuit or can you rent one? I literally made my fiance put on his suit, go out into Lake Washington and stop moving to show him how buoyant he was...he has a hard time swimming and last race he did the whole thing! He just flipped onto his back when he was tired...I know you can do it.

2008-08-04 5:42 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I just realized I have no goals.

Let's see...

Swim 12,000M
Bike 180 miles
Run 65 miles

Of course, I'm pulling these numbers out of the air...but if I exceed them, I'll be thrilled.
2008-08-04 6:55 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

If my toe heals enough Rach and Lyssa I will do Danskin. Right now it's on hold. I'm bummed.  Gonna go swim though.  Can I come back?

I just want to do yoga twice a week

Swim twice a week

Run twice a week (Or walk)

Bike once a week. Maybe this will mentally help my toe heal.  Someone light a frikken candle for me NEVER to hurt myself again. Please  

2008-08-04 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1581390

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
Triathlynne - 2008-08-04 6:55 PM

If my toe heals enough Rach and Lyssa I will do Danskin. Right now it's on hold. I'm bummed.  Gonna go swim though.  Can I come back?

Swim twice a week

Bike once a week. Maybe this will mentally help my toe heal.  Someone light a frikken candle for me NEVER to hurt myself again. Please  

I'm thinkin of you!

2008-08-04 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1580719

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

i didn't realize you were doing danskin too!! hooray! i'm so excited!! i was totally flipping out about the swim (well, i still kind of am) as i can swim about 50 meters without stopping, and the race is 700 meters!! LOL but lynnes said there are swim angels with noodles out there, so my game plan is to survive the swim, and hopefully make up some time on the bike and run. hopefully i'll meet you!! i think lynne said a bunch of us bt kids were hooking up saturday sometime, that's about as much as i know.

a friend of mine has been a swim angel before - she said it is an awesome experience for all involved

2008-08-04 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1581243

User image

Master
runrachierun - 2008-08-04 3:38 PM

Lynne and I are supposed to get our packets together...maybe we can meet up at the expo?

Do you have a wetsuit or can you rent one? I literally made my fiance put on his suit, go out into Lake Washington and stop moving to show him how buoyant he was...he has a hard time swimming and last race he did the whole thing! He just flipped onto his back when he was tired...I know you can do it.

i bought a wetsuit last year, and i swim in it at the lake here where i live, but my problem has been that when it's cold i can't seem to catch my breath, and it feels like my wetsuit is choking me, then if i float on my back it seems like it's even harder to breathe. here at my lake, i swim next to the log thing that is supposed to keep the bigger waves from rocking the boats at the dock (don't know what that log thing is called LOL) so if i have trouble, i can always hang on that.
what do the swim angels do exactly? i mean are we talking about canoes? or people who actually swim with you? or just people hanging out in the water in case someone has trouble?? this is the first time i've even heard of it.
honestly, i feel kind of ridiculous, but if i can just get through the swim, i'm pretty sure the REST of my race is gonna go great! LOL
2008-08-04 10:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
I'm in!

I'm a little late, but I was vacationing in Seattle!

I've never heard of swim angels, but I've never heard of a triathlon that DIDNT have kayaks/canoes/paddleboards and lifeguards near the beach/in the water.

I think you'll be fine!! Once the swim is over, most of the dangerous part is behind you!
GOOD LUCK!!!

My goals, by the way, are as follows:

10 hours Running
20 Hours Cycling (my weakest!)
6 Hours Swimming
2008-08-04 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Elgin,
Well I managed to get a run in today.  3.11mi at 24min 15sec.  I plan on running into work tomorrow and then riding my bike home in the evening, so maybe I can catch back up to my goals afterall.  I need to figure out when I can make it to the pool though.  Maybe I will ride my bike to the gym during lunch.
2008-08-04 10:57 PM
in reply to: #1581407

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
runrachierun - 2008-08-04 5:14 PM

If my toe heals enough Rach and Lyssa I will do Danskin. Right now it's on hold. I'm bummed. Gonna go swim though. Can I come back?

Swim twice a week

Bike once a week. Maybe this will mentally help my toe heal. Someone light a frikken candle for me NEVER to hurt myself again. Please

I'm thinkin of you!

You're so sweet. I keep thinking you and your Fiance and his Mom think I'm crazy. LOL.  

I SWAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAn you hear the HARPS PLAYIN!  I think this deserves a lick of ben and jerry's later! WOOHOO!! I feel re born!   HALLELUJAH! 

2008-08-04 11:17 PM

User image

Master
i thought i heard harps playing earlier, it must have been YOU lynne!! LOL
great job though dude, glad you're back.
2008-08-04 11:55 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Can't get rid of me THAT easily! This thread needs the entertainment! 

I should add to my goal of NOT falling over, getting cut, breaking bones etc etc. LOL

Lyssa. A swim angel, if you need one will swim the entire length of the swim with you. No questions asked! They'll get you out of the water and voila! You're done.   

2008-08-05 1:08 AM
in reply to: #1581785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
Triathlynne - 2008-08-04 10:57 PM

runrachierun - 2008-08-04 5:14 PM

If my toe heals enough Rach and Lyssa I will do Danskin. Right now it's on hold. I'm bummed. Gonna go swim though. Can I come back?

Swim twice a week

Bike once a week. Maybe this will mentally help my toe heal. Someone light a frikken candle for me NEVER to hurt myself again. Please

I'm thinkin of you!

You're so sweet. I keep thinking you and your Fiance and his Mom think I'm crazy. LOL.  

I SWAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAn you hear the HARPS PLAYIN!  I think this deserves a lick of ben and jerry's later! WOOHOO!! I feel re born!   HALLELUJAH! 

They don't think you're crazy...they hang with me! :-)

Congrats on the swim!
2008-08-05 1:12 AM
in reply to: #1581821

User image

Master
Triathlynne - 2008-08-04 9:55 PM

I should add to my goal of NOT falling over, getting cut, breaking bones etc etc. LOL

Lyssa. A swim angel, if you need one will swim the entire length of the swim with you. No questions asked! They'll get you out of the water and voila! You're done.   

NICE!! i wish i was a better swimmer! i wish i was a better swimmer! i wish i was a better swimmer!!
but for now--i'll happily take a swim angel!

2008-08-05 1:15 AM
in reply to: #1581842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
lyssa-gator - 2008-08-05 1:12 AM

Triathlynne - 2008-08-04 9:55 PM

NICE!! i wish i was a better swimmer! i wish i was a better swimmer! i wish i was a better swimmer!!
but for now--i'll happily take a swim angel!

You'll be terrific. I need to learn how to bike! And run faster. And put my face in the water!

2008-08-05 1:17 AM

User image

Master
LOL. i'm just hoping i DON'T come in dead last (again) at danskin. that's my big goal! ORIGINALLY when i signed up, i was really hoping to place in age group, now i'd pretty much like to survive the swim, and not finish dead last. i'm really shooting for the moon here.
2008-08-05 1:19 AM
in reply to: #1581844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mercer Island, WA
lyssa-gator - 2008-08-05 1:17 AM

LOL. i'm just hoping i DON'T come in dead last (again) at danskin. that's my big goal! ORIGINALLY when i signed up, i was really hoping to place in age group, now i'd pretty much like to survive the swim, and not finish dead last. i'm really shooting for the moon here.

Don't worry! Even if you finish next year, you (and everyone else) will pass me on the bike. It's like I am going backwards!
2008-08-05 1:22 AM

User image

Master
that's how i ALWAYS feel!! i get so frustrated on the bike leg, EVERYONE passes me. but NOW oh yeah baby, NOW i have the new bike, and geez louise!! if THAT doesn't make a difference, NOTHING will! LOL. actually i've already gone a lot farther on it than i had ever gone on my old bike, and i think for the FIRST time ever, i might not suck super bad on the bike leg.

i have a really hard time transitioning from bike to run though. after i get off the bike, i usually feel like i have a boulder strapped to the inside of my thighs, which makes it very awkward to start running. i'll probably have to walk at least a little of the run.
2008-08-05 2:54 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Thanks for the well wishes back there! I went back to the doctor, who took one look at my legs and upped my steroids even farther, put me on two antibiotics, added another antihistamine, and lanced all the blisters. The meds are FINALLY working, so the swelling and inflammation is receding slooooooowly. I'm still bandaged from ankle to mid-thigh, which makes moving really hard. I took off all the bandages yesterday when I got home from work and just let my skin air out. Oh man did it feel good! I really, really wanted to go for a run, but then my friend reminded me of salt in open wounds, and I promptly wigged out thinking about it for about half an hour. So, no sweating for me until it all closes up.

But, well, I might still do my 5K this weekend. I will have a large bucket of water at the end to dump on my legs!

Anywho, I have managed at least some pushups almost every day. Nowhere near what I'd like, but I'm trying. I cannot do more than two in a row without raising my body temp, though, so I have to spread them all out, which means I forget them. But I'm trying, and that's what matters, right? RIGHT??
2008-08-05 5:37 AM

User image

Expert
Don't have time to catch up on the thread right now because I need a shower - EEEWWW!!! But, I just had to share my accomplishment from my run today. So, I've been trying to figure out the best pre-race meal over the past few weeks and just can't seem to find the best thing to give me power and endurance over the long haul. Well, today I think I may have found the answer...simple...power bar gel! Who would have thought, right? I mean, it's not going to give me what I need for longer distances but it worked really well on my 4-mile run this morning. Of course, I had carbs for dinner last night, too so that might have helped. Anyway, I ran one of my better 4-mile runs today and had a great negative split: 20:11 for the first two miles and 18:29 for the last two with an overall pace of 9:67 (I think that's what my training log said) min/mile. Great thing was...I wasn't even really trying for speed today because I've not run in several days and I didn't really want to push it.

Have a great day everyone...I'll catch up on the thread at some point...hopefully this week!

2008-08-05 7:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN
how are you guys doing with the challenge? i'm behind abit - my goal was actually follow the workouts...
2008-08-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1581507

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

lyssa-gator - 2008-08-04 8:23 PM  i bought a wetsuit last year, and i swim in it at the lake here where i live, but my problem has been that when it's cold i can't seem to catch my breath, and it feels like my wetsuit is choking me, then if i float on my back it seems like it's even harder to breathe. here at my lake, i swim next to the log thing that is supposed to keep the bigger waves from rocking the boats at the dock (don't know what that log thing is called LOL) so if i have trouble, i can always hang on that. what do the swim angels do exactly? i mean are we talking about canoes? or people who actually swim with you? or just people hanging out in the water in case someone has trouble?? this is the first time i've even heard of it. honestly, i feel kind of ridiculous, but if i can just get through the swim, i'm pretty sure the REST of my race is gonna go great! LOL

The key for me was getting the crotch of the wetsuit up as far as possible.  You may have to pull up more on the legs.  Also keep working the wetsuit up your torso so that you have more play up by your shoulders.  Here, I'll let a pro explain it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHw_TkFEdE

2008-08-05 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Behind on this thread, but ahead of schedule on my training...

Sat - 16 mile ride, 3 mile run
Yesterday - 1600 yd swim, 4 mile run
Today - 7 mile spin...I LOVE TAPER!

2008-08-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1581878

User image

Master
New Jersey
dcrunningdiva - 2008-08-05 6:37 AM

Don't have time to catch up on the thread right now because I need a shower - EEEWWW!!! But, I just had to share my accomplishment from my run today. So, I've been trying to figure out the best pre-race meal over the past few weeks and just can't seem to find the best thing to give me power and endurance over the long haul. Well, today I think I may have found the answer...simple...power bar gel! Who would have thought, right? I mean, it's not going to give me what I need for longer distances but it worked really well on my 4-mile run this morning. Of course, I had carbs for dinner last night, too so that might have helped. Anyway, I ran one of my better 4-mile runs today and had a great negative split: 20:11 for the first two miles and 18:29 for the last two with an overall pace of 9:67 (I think that's what my training log said) min/mile. Great thing was...I wasn't even really trying for speed today because I've not run in several days and I didn't really want to push it.

Have a great day everyone...I'll catch up on the thread at some point...hopefully this week!

Oh yeah - definitely. Take a gel 5-10 mins before you head out the door. If I'm running long, I'll then have one every 45 mins. Makes a big difference. And give yourself permission to start off slow, and you'll eventually fall into a nice pace. Glad it worked out for you.
New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » August Challenge (Run,Swim,Bike, Weightloss, and/or Other) - CASUAL Rss Feed  

of 15