BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 168

2008-12-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1863539

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: Girl Passing on Left (FULL)
wow! you guys must all be sleeping in this morning!! LOL

2008-12-26 11:57 AM

User image

Master
^^^^^^^ TOP POST AGAIN!!^^^^^^^
2008-12-26 12:07 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I didn't run (or ride, or swim) for more than a week, but that was due to illness. I finally got back out yesterday and even though I was running at an easy pace my HR was really high. I guess I'm still not yet all well. I've missed my chance to ride today but I'll run again tomorrow. I still need 3 runs this month to finish my challenge.
2008-12-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1872613

User image

Extreme Veteran
MDHillSlug - 2008-12-26 12:07 PM

I didn't run (or ride, or swim) for more than a week, but that was due to illness. I finally got back out yesterday and even though I was running at an easy pace my HR was really high. I guess I'm still not yet all well. I've missed my chance to ride today but I'll run again tomorrow. I still need 3 runs this month to finish my challenge.

Sometimes it takes a while to be totally back to game on once we get ill...take it easy the next couple of run.

Amy IN
2008-12-26 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1871937

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
MDHillSlug - 2008-12-25 8:28 AM

I'm glad I got in before the door closed!

I've already listed my weakness as running. Biking is where I started and is definitely my strength. My swimming has come a long way since my first tri's last year where I could barely do the distance and had trouble maintaining my composure.

Happy holidays!

Hi Nicole...hope things have been well for you! Its been a while since we have chatted...and I have to tell you all Nicole is a biking fool and quite the animal on the bike!!!! and we hope to have you running and loving it by the time we are thru with you. First of all do you have an ipod you listen to? and if you do, do you have a good motivational mix of songs that you use for your runs...I know you can not use them for races, but to train with I know helps me...and when I listen to my running mix I run faster times then when I listen to my others...because I have my fav songs on and they seem to make my feet lighter...maybe just a "Julie" thing...but it helps me! and also have you gotten a new pair of running shoes lately and if so, were you fitted at a running store, I totally believe that this is just as important as a good fitting bike. Just two to start with...

Glad your swiming is coming along...you can help me!!

I would like to know what inspires you and what makes you want to go that extra mile.

Hope you had a great Christmas....look forward to your answers.

FYI - - I have a wreath like yours pictured that my racing buddy gave to us last year....I will take a pic and post later....ours has deraileurs, gear shifts, helmet visor....and it lights up...GOTTA LOVE THOSE INGENIOUS WREATHS! yours has a much better wheel base! mine well is a cheapy rim!

2008-12-26 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1872146

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-12-25 4:27 PM 1,2,3... Ready, set, go... 5,4,3,2,1... On your mark, get set, go... Our we ready for blast off???? I have had a wonderful Christmas Day with family and I'm back at home sitting in my lazy boy dreaming of training to come...oh, and me and DH went for a hour walk when we got home....yeah. Can you feel the sweat? Can you feel your muscles getting stronger? Can you feel your lungs burning from going faster, than you went the last time? Well if not look below and try to imagine it. christmas gifts Pictures, Images and Photos Triathlon 8 Pictures, Images and Photos cycling Pictures, Images and Photos Runners Pictures, Images and Photos That's what I'm talking about.

thanks for the motivation pics Amy...I am totally motivated...cold from looking at the swim pics..but motivated!! Hope you are doing well!

2008-12-26 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1872160

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
dcon - 2008-12-25 5:08 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!  It is actually Dec 26 here in Japan - we are 14 hours ahead of EST, 15 hours ahead of CST, 17 hours ahead of those of you on the west coast and 19 hours ahead of Nalani in Hawaii.

My strength is actually running.  Although I'm still struggling to get back into it, I did do the Honolulu Marathon back in 2001.  My biggest weakness right now is my knees.  They have been giving me grief for years and were even more troublesome after the marathon.   I have started trying to work on the trigger points in my quads and that does seem to be helping some.    Another weakness is swimming.  I am still only able to do about 150 meters before getting winded, but I was regularly doing 4000-5000 meters per week last year, i.e., lots of stopping, but also lots of time focused on improving my technique which was terrible.    I know that it is a matter of technique and I think a breakthrough is on the horizon early next year.

Inspiration?  My Dad and genetics: he had his first heart attack at age 53 (after a 3 mile run - doc said that  the fact that he had been running for 5 years enabled him to survive).  He kept on exercising and trying new things (cycling, cross-country skiing) for the next 24 years and finally passed away last year.   So, I figure IM by age 53 is one of my goals.   

Watching any marathon or triathlon is also inspiring for me.  It is always great to see the elites (they make it look so easy), but also to see the rest of the pack (if they can do it, then I can too).

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the holiday wishes. thanks for sharing your stories...YIKES 53 and heart attacks...that is very young! glad you are being cautious and because of your genetics are working closely with a doctor.  You mentioned your knees being a problem and wondered if you have ever taken glucosamine...if you have not, you may want to ask your doctor if that is something that you are able to take? I SWEAR by mine! When I first began this trek of triathlons, I could barely walk....not along run! I was told by a nurse friend of mine to try them, and I did...they worked miracles for me! I do not take them any more except the occasional day that I over do the previous day and do not stretch or cool down properly such as yesterday! they truly help me and are known to help lubricate and make your joints not so achy...

hope this helps...our other teamys may have some other help or suggestions...just a little food for thought....

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2008-12-26 3:09 PM
2008-12-26 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1872160

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Merry Christmas everyone!  It is actually Dec 26 here in Japan - we are 14 hours ahead of EST, 15 hours ahead of CST, 17 hours ahead of those of you on the west coast and 19 hours ahead of Nalani in Hawaii.

My strength is actually running.  Although I'm still struggling to get back into it, I did do the Honolulu Marathon back in 2001.  My biggest weakness right now is my knees.  They have been giving me grief for years and were even more troublesome after the marathon.   I have started trying to work on the trigger points in my quads and that does seem to be helping some.    Another weakness is swimming.  I am still only able to do about 150 meters before getting winded, but I was regularly doing 4000-5000 meters per week last year, i.e., lots of stopping, but also lots of time focused on improving my technique which was terrible.    I know that it is a matter of technique and I think a breakthrough is on the horizon early next year.

Inspiration?  My Dad and genetics: he had his first heart attack at age 53 (after a 3 mile run - doc said that  the fact that he had been running for 5 years enabled him to survive).  He kept on exercising and trying new things (cycling, cross-country skiing) for the next 24 years and finally passed away last year.   So, I figure IM by age 53 is one of my goals.   

Watching any marathon or triathlon is also inspiring for me.  It is always great to see the elites (they make it look so easy), but also to see the rest of the pack (if they can do it, then I can too).

Dan

I TOTALLY agree with watching a marathon or a race as inspirational...i will have to remember that for the next time I need a kick out the door!

2008-12-26 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1872482

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2008-12-26 7:44 AM hey everyone! well, i guess for me anyway, all the holiday stuff is done. dh got called in to work this morning so he left at 430-he should be home by 11 tonight, i hope. it seems like it was here then gone too fast. and today is (dramatic pause) CHORE DAY! yay. my kids are so excited right now! LOL there is still hip deep snow outside, but last night while i was trying to sleep, (and not sleeping-thanks to my two year old) i thought, screw it, the roads are plowed (mostly) i'm just going to get up in the morning and go out slowly, and carefully. then of COURSE dh got called in to work, so here i am, still not running. as of today, it's been two weeks since my last run. i feel like an addict going through withdrawl. my mom got me a sam rotman cd (piano music-it's just magical) and i was listning to it last night, and i burst in to tears. it was so beautiful! dh just looked at me and said, you REALLY need to run, dontcha hon? um. yeah. pretty much. LOL about 2 miles from here the roads are a little clearer, but because of the plowing, there is NO shoulder-i'd be on the actual road, but i'm willing to take my chances, and since dh can't work OT two days in a row (well, he CAN, but he HATES to) i think i'll do that in the AM. yay! something to look forward to!! i can't wait-

when you are thru doing chores at your house...could I steal you away for here...my kitchen looks as though a tornado, hurricane and sunami hit...all at the same time...and the sad thing is this is even after I cleaned and scrubbed it! my brother is the most amazing cook...the problem is he still thinks he is at culinary school where they clean up behind you!! go to my blog if you want to see the amazing foods we had...I  will post a picture later...just a list of foods now! I ran six miles, but needed to go sixty-six with all I ate! I just forced a bowl of cereal down and it is lunch time....figured I needed a little something so I did not pull out the leftovers warm them up and eat as much as I did yesterday...I was a BAD BAD BAAAAAAAAAAD GIRL! but it sure was fun!

bet you cooked up a storm! cuz you do every day...Christmas must be EXTRAORIDINARE!!!

Sorry you feel like xmas went to fast....I am glad xmas is over...I am pooped! and so full I could pop! so beware if you get near me with a pin!

hoping the snow is soon melted...hate that you are bursting into tears...sounds like the dh needs to get in the car with the kids and be your pace booty like he seems to do so well! head down the hill and make him follow you...dont want you running with those six-shooters...could be deacly if you slip and fall...if not for you...for those squirrels, birds...that are in shooting range of your fall!

get outside and run Allyssa...and if it is still to cold/snowy/icy....go for a fast brisk walk, you will thank yourself! time to start training..if not outside in on your trainer....

2008-12-26 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1872601

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2008-12-26 9:57 AM wow! you guys must all be sleeping in this morning!! LOL

you are the ruler of top posting! kiu! glad you are around! keeps me coming back! gotto wake up some of our teamies!

2008-12-26 3:42 PM

User image

Colorado

Good afternoon!  I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.  I have to work, but enjoying them nonetheless.  I did buy all the wrapping paper, boxes, bows, etc., for next year this morning as well as some cheap stocking stuffers.  Christmas was alot of fun as I have two crazy little girls, hubby is Jewish so we still have one more night of Hanukkah and the New Year coming up next week. 

I've been pretty lazy with my "training", so come Sunday, when the HIM training plan takes effect, something is going to hurt!

Have a great day everyone!

2008-12-26 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1872750

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-12-26 2:00 PM

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the holiday wishes. thanks for sharing your stories...YIKES 53 and heart attacks...that is very young! glad you are being cautious and because of your genetics are working closely with a doctor.  You mentioned your knees being a problem and wondered if you have ever taken glucosamine...if you have not, you may want to ask your doctor if that is something that you are able to take? I SWEAR by mine! When I first began this trek of triathlons, I could barely walk....not along run! I was told by a nurse friend of mine to try them, and I did...they worked miracles for me! I do not take them any more except the occasional day that I over do the previous day and do not stretch or cool down properly such as yesterday! they truly help me and are known to help lubricate and make your joints not so achy...

hope this helps...our other teamys may have some other help or suggestions...just a little food for thought....

Hi all! Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! Just got in from the craziness at the mall- Boxing Day in Canada is the biggest shopping day- kinda like your post Thanksgiving sales, I think. I thought I would get out there and do my best to support the economy. Laughing

Scary stuff, Dan...53 is so young! But the positives are that your dad went on to live many more active and happy years and that you are taking the necessary steps to deal with what might be hereditary factors for you. In terms of the knees and running...agree with Julie to give Glucosamine a go (with ok from the doc) but also to consider a couple of other bits- consider orthotics or goto local running store for correct shoe fitting (sometimes mechanics of foot strike over the long haul-(ie marathon) can wreck havoc)- consider seeing a Physiotherapist- check into possible muscle imbalance or other mechanics that might affect knee. Good luck with it...let us know if you find a solution!

2008-12-26 4:13 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Now for the homework...

Strength- running and endurance- I love to find a pace and just go on forever, especially if it is a gorgeous day out with the dog and on a fun trail that makes you think you are all by yourself.

Weakness- if you've read any of my previous posts, no surprise that it is my swimming. While I am starting to cover more distance I am still having a tough time going continuously- any one have ideas on how to build that aspect?

Inspiration- my hubby is my biggest cheerleader and as an IM finisher a big inspiration for me...but always on my mind are 7 students of mine whose lives were ended much too soon when they were caught in an avalanche backcountry skiing in 03. In every race I have run since the accident, I have dedicated miles to them and their families.

2008-12-26 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1872785

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
AndriaLL - 2008-12-26 1:42 PM

Good afternoon!  I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.  I have to work, but enjoying them nonetheless.  I did buy all the wrapping paper, boxes, bows, etc., for next year this morning as well as some cheap stocking stuffers.  Christmas was alot of fun as I have two crazy little girls, hubby is Jewish so we still have one more night of Hanukkah and the New Year coming up next week. 

I've been pretty lazy with my "training", so come Sunday, when the HIM training plan takes effect, something is going to hurt!

Have a great day everyone!

Happy Hanukkah

have a great workout on Sunday..hope you are wrong about the hurting, but we all know as much as we hate to hear/say it...No Pain-No Gain..So get em...keep your workouts posted, I want to see all  you are doing....

Have a great evening with your family! Warm wishes...Happy Hanukkah!!!

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2008-12-26 5:38 PM
2008-12-26 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1872817

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
run_yc_run - 2008-12-26 2:13 PM

Now for the homework...

Strength- running and endurance- I love to find a pace and just go on forever, especially if it is a gorgeous day out with the dog and on a fun trail that makes you think you are all by yourself.

Weakness- if you've read any of my previous posts, no surprise that it is my swimming. While I am starting to cover more distance I am still having a tough time going continuously- any one have ideas on how to build that aspect?

Inspiration- my hubby is my biggest cheerleader and as an IM finisher a big inspiration for me...but always on my mind are 7 students of mine whose lives were ended much too soon when they were caught in an avalanche backcountry skiing in 03. In every race I have run since the accident, I have dedicated miles to them and their families.

Thanks Yvonne...since I am not a great swimmer...but the more you swim the better you are...technique or no technique. Although the best of the best triathletes will tell you that you can neither win or lose a triathlon with swimming..it is a very important leg of your race...cuz its first and if you completely wear out in it you will have nothing left for your high strength sport such as running or biking....and you will have nothing to give. The more you swim the easier the laps become and before you will be swimming continuous laps and not even thinking about it...do you have access to a lap pool. The other thing is masters swim class...make sure to join...they are usually not too much to join and you will not only make new local friends, but you may find some close training buddies....

as for your inspiration....wow! that is so very sad about your students being killed! I am inspired! What  a great reason to train hard!! I would say they are all shining and smiling down on you for your efforts!!

2008-12-26 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well the inspiration comes from many sweet souls, the students lost, and Dorothy, Julie's sister inlaw, we have all been touched by many people in our lives, they have made us better than we were before we knew them, we have been truly blessed by knowing them. We always need to be aware of how we can impact others too...Julie you have really taken that to heart with impacted other triathletes here....thanks!

Amy IN

2008-12-26 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1872817

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
run_yc_run - 2008-12-26 5:13 PM

Now for the homework...

I was a terrible swimmer when I started. I took private lessons but also needed to take charge of the pace of my swimming training to make sure I'd be ready on my schedule. What worked for me was the 0-1650 plan.

2008-12-26 7:42 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
My motivation? Hmm...I got back into biking a few years ago as a substitute for rock climbing but only on the trainer in the basement. I finally got back out on the road when I decided to do an American Diabetes Tour de Cure charity ride. One of my motivators is that diabetes is prevalent on both sides of my family and the riding helps keep my weight down and my fitness up. Beyond that I keep at it so see what I'm capable of.
2008-12-26 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1872964

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-12-26 4:52 PM Well the inspiration comes from many sweet souls, the students lost, and Dorothy, Julie's sister inlaw, we have all been touched by many people in our lives, they have made us better than we were before we knew them, we have been truly blessed by knowing them. We always need to be aware of how we can impact others too...Julie you have really taken that to heart with impacted other triathletes here....thanks! Amy IN

Thanks Amy, that could not come from a more endearing, loving and inspiring person! you truly are a huge part in my successes! Thanks for being Amy! and for the rest of you, you just wait, you will see all that Amy has to offers as do all the others I have on the team that I have been fortunate to meet and have joined our team. I am soooo looking forward to getting to know the rest of you and hopefully we will also grow to help, inspire and to answer each others questions. Here's to 2009! May we all meet our dreams and expectations! 

2008-12-26 8:14 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
I just went with my dd and met my dh near his work and rode a twenty mile ride...I really would have stayed home and watched a movie if it were not for my dd who pushed me out the door and got me motivated to do ride...once out there, I had a big smile on my face AFTER I had spun out "ALL" the muscle aches from yesterdays run.  I just found out I am going on a LONG ride tomorrow...dang! I guess to them 20 miles is not LONG!?!? yikes I am in for it! and I just heard that we are leaving at 6:30 am too....SO will check in tomorrow afternoon....hope to see lots of activitiy on this forum and in you training logs..and as a team....lets get around and do some individual insprining...dont have to do daily but make sure to hit them and let them know you are rooting for them. HAPPY FRIDAY!

Edited by Girl Passing on Left 2008-12-26 8:35 PM
2008-12-26 10:03 PM

User image

Master
i love reading about everyones strengths and weaknesess! we're such a diverse group, and everyone on here has something to offer someone else! i'm so excited for 2009!!

i didn't put that chart in my log yet, but i need to so i can start with the inspires!!

oh, and i just finished making whole wheat (yes i grind my own!! my mom has a mill!!) bagels. they're SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD out of the over-with warm butter all over. oh baby! i might need another!! LOL

2008-12-26 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1873131

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

lyssa-gator - 2008-12-26 8:03 PM i love reading about everyones strengths and weaknesess! we're such a diverse group, and everyone on here has something to offer someone else! i'm so excited for 2009!! i didn't put that chart in my log yet, but i need to so i can start with the inspires!! oh, and i just finished making whole wheat (yes i grind my own!! my mom has a mill!!) bagels. they're SOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD out of the over-with warm butter all over. oh baby! i might need another!! LOL

just so everyone knows the chart is missing Nicole...MDHillSlug...I will add her tomorrow...too pooped to even think about it tonight! sorry Ncole...you can download all of ous in your friends columns too...by going to your control panel...edit your settings link and then friends tab...add as you see...if there are blanks between names and they do not show up after typing them in...try using and underscore such as run yc run. Her is run_yc_run. hope that helps...going to bed...nite all and lyssa can you butter up one of those hot out fo the oven fresh baked bagels...and pass one over to me...please...will ya? will ya? is it snowing there are are you seeing some light at the end of that snow tunnel???

2008-12-27 1:26 AM

User image

Master
light at the end of the snow tunnel?
no no no.
RAIN at the end of the snow tunnel, now that we have almost 4 feet of snow, it's raining, and melting, and i think we're all floating away!! dh barely made it home in the several feet of SLUSH out there now, and he said that if they don't PLOW the slush (have you EVER heard of them plowing slush? i haven't) we're going to be stuck here for a few days anyway. we have 4 wheel drive, and good tires, but there's FEET of slush, and the traction, it's not good. i wonder how hard it would be to RUN in slush? hmmmm. i guess i'll find out won't i?? NOTHING is going to stop me tomorrow!!
2008-12-27 1:27 AM

User image

Master
and i would love NOTHING more than to send you a dozen bagels julee.
2008-12-27 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Good morning everyone,

I'm still in Cleveland, OH, visiting with my husband's family.  Believe it or not, it is almost 60 degrees here this morning!  They are having freaky spring-like weather, at least for today.  I'm heading out for a run in a few minutes.  I may not have time later to check back in -- we've got more family parties planned for today.  But I get home again late tomorrow, and then things should start to get back to normal.

I thought I'd start out with my "homework":

Strengths -- I'm a good runner.  I know how to train for races, I do well at races (my husband calls me his "trophy" wife), and I have a friend who is a certified coach, and he helps me with the mental stuff too.

Weaknesses -- I can't sight while swimming in the least, so I always end up swimming longer distances.   And all of the local races are open water swims in the gulf, so I need to learn how to sight for those buoys!

Inspiration -- a celebration of life!  After a catastrophic car accident nearly 5 years ago, plus watching my father battle ALS, I'm charged up to live life to its fullest.  This includes challenging myself to do bigger things and go places I've dreamed of.  This year we climbed the Grand Teton (what a rush!) and visited Egypt and Israel.  Next year it is to do the Gulf Coast HIM!

Cheri

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Girl Passing on Left (FULL) Rss Feed  

of 168