BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-13 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1880994

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL

Morning all,

Since I don't have access to a pool right now, can anyone suggest swim-specifc weight training exercises?  I do dips and close hand pushups for the triceps, some lat pulldowns for the back and core work.  Anything else?

2009-01-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1904148

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
rreischl - 2009-01-13 9:55 AM

Thanks all for the well wishes on the race all!  I'm counting down the days!  This is ending up being a busy week, so I guess the taper time is good.  Tonight is the first night for a bike maintenance class - being offered by my LBS (local bike shop).  I REALLY need it!  Last year I lucked out - no flats - but I really need to learn how to take care of a flat and keep my bike maintained!!  Not to mention understanding the mechanics of it better - some of the talk last week on here was over my head   It lasts thru Feb, every T night, so it should be good!  Only bad thing is - I have to miss Biggest Loser!  I'll let you all know how it goes.

TTYL!
Renee

I hear you.... I definitely have to learn how to take care of my bike as well and learn basic stuff.

I'll let you know how Biggest Loser went tonight! Or I am sure you will read it in COJ!

Also.... Best of luck for your half-mary.... 

2009-01-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1904584

User image

Austin,
A former personal trainer recommended:

Reverse Flys (cable machine) - on floor and on stability disc or bosu
Straight arm pullovers (cable machine)
Baseball twists (cable machine) - looks like a baseball swing with arms locked to sides and holding onto cable/weight

The last one is intended to help with rotation/rolling core muscles.

Tr1Hawaii - 2009-01-13 11:05 AM

Morning all,

Since I don't have access to a pool right now, can anyone suggest swim-specifc weight training exercises? I do dips and close hand pushups for the triceps, some lat pulldowns for the back and core work. Anything else?

2009-01-13 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1903824

User image

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
JeepFleeb - 2009-01-13 12:07 AM

Wetsuits: they don't make you faster, they make you float.  If you have good swim form a wetsuit should make you slower.  My coach comes from a swimming background (swam in the '84 Olympics) and they only reason he'll ever put a wetsuit on is because the water is too cold.

If you swim faster in a wetsuit then you automatically know you need to work on your swim form/blance/flotation.

OWS Panic: it's just a fact of life.  The more you practice the easier it is, but even veterans will freak out in the water from time to time.

Which side do you breathe to?  The right: then start on the far left side of the pack.  The left: start on the far right side.  Don't get caught up in the middle where you're trapped.  Stay to the outside but keep everyone else on the side you breathe so you can always see everyone else.

If you start to panic you can slide over a little.  Now you're all alone and there's nothing to worry about.  If you're comfortable then stay as close to the pack as you can.  Draft off faster swimmers and sight off the pack everytime you breathe.

Thanks Aaron,

Wet suits: I always wondered if it was technique or a balance thing with wetsuits.  I've read about the buoyance and thought that might be an advantage.  Why do some high level pros use "neutral buoyancy suits"? Stadler, Macca, Alexander...

OWS Panic:  THE way that I got over my OWS panic:  We were in about 40 ft of water, had some fish on the stringer, using the budy system, and I saw my first tiger shark.  Fins down, circling about 100 feet away.  I panicked and starting kicking hard, headed to shore fast.  Buddy grabbed me by the snorkel, we cut the fish loose and swam backwards with guns pointed in its direction.  Shark ate fish, I calmed down, no more OWS panic!!  At least nothing since then.

Michael

Edited by Tr1Hawaii 2009-01-13 3:42 PM
2009-01-13 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1905280

User image

Austin,
Tr1Hawaii - 2009-01-13 3:41 PM

JeepFleeb - 2009-01-13 12:07 AM

Wetsuits: they don't make you faster, they make you float. If you have good swim form a wetsuit should make you slower. My coach comes from a swimming background (swam in the '84 Olympics) and they only reason he'll ever put a wetsuit on is because the water is too cold.

If you swim faster in a wetsuit then you automatically know you need to work on your swim form/blance/flotation.

OWS Panic: it's just a fact of life. The more you practice the easier it is, but even veterans will freak out in the water from time to time.

Which side do you breathe to? The right: then start on the far left side of the pack. The left: start on the far right side. Don't get caught up in the middle where you're trapped. Stay to the outside but keep everyone else on the side you breathe so you can always see everyone else.

If you start to panic you can slide over a little. Now you're all alone and there's nothing to worry about. If you're comfortable then stay as close to the pack as you can. Draft off faster swimmers and sight off the pack everytime you breathe.

Thanks Aaron,

Wet suits: I always wondered if it was technique or a balance thing with wetsuits. I've read about the buoyance and thought that might be an advantage. Why do some high level pros use "neutral buoyancy suits"? Stadler, Macca, Alexander...

OWS Panic: THE way that I got over my OWS panic: We were in about 40 ft of water, had some fish on the stringer, using the budy system, and I saw my first tiger shark. Fins down, circling about 100 feet away. I panicked and starting kicking hard, headed to shore fast. Buddy grabbed me by the snorkel, we cut the fish loose and swam backwards with guns pointed in its direction. Shark ate fish, I calmed down, no more OWS panic!! At least nothing since then.

Michael

Um, are spear guns legal in most races?

I imagine carrying a spear gun would make you slower. Seeing a tiger on the other hand...

Seriously on the panicking, it happens to me when I haven't been in open water in a while. Usually I have this uncontrollable urge to breath in...when my face is down. I've found that very purposeful, forceful exhales help me get into a good breathing rhythm (and such that I'm breathing in air instead of water). Not being afraid to pull up and tread water to catch my breath, no matter how embarrassing.
2009-01-13 6:04 PM

User image

Brandon, MS

Hey guys....just checking in.  Thanks to those of you who have sent me get well messages.  Hopefully. I'll get to start training again soon.  I don't think I've had respiratory infection issues hang around this long but I know it could be weeks to clear- wondering if I didn't have a bit of pneumonia??  It sucks because I feel like I'm losing fitness gains made over the winter!  Anyway, I've still enjoyed reading everyone's posts- making me really excited about getting back to work getting ready for my races coming up!

By the way....good luck this weekend Renee.  Have fun!

Scott

2009-01-13 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1903824

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
JeepFleeb - 2009-01-13 1:07 AM

OWS Panic: it's just a fact of life.  The more you practice the easier it is, but even veterans will freak out in the water from time to time.

Wow, I run away for a few days, and when I come back, there are 7 pages of posts! This is definitely an awesome group.

Thanks to those who left 'inspires' on my log. Your encouragement is appreciated, and I promise to return the favor.

I have to agree with Aaron about the open water panic. I had never experienced it until last summer, when I was doing the swim portion of a sprint relay. For whatever reason, I freaked out and had to force myself to put my face back into the water and swim. Never mind the fact that I've swam across the Chesapeake Bay and in from Alcatraz. There was just something about that day, and as I sit here now, I still cannot figure out what went wrong.

Anyway, I am going to finish my glass of merlot, update my log for the little work I did do these past few days, and then go off to bed. The wine is from the 'Fat Bastard' vineyard. I saw the label and thought it was definitely fitting for my physique at the moment.

2009-01-13 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1905614

User image

Brandon, MS
Fat Bastard is good stuff!
2009-01-13 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1905569

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-13 11:24 PM
in reply to: #1905280

2009-01-14 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1891664

Subject: RE: JeepFleeb's mentor group - OPEN

NAME: Lauren

STORY: This will be my 1st year of training for a triathalon. I love to run and bike (sprint to Oly distances) and although I like swimming, my fitness is terrible. I signed up for my first sprint tri this summer although I'm not sure I'll get past the swim portion. I'm thinking about lessons but somewhat embarrased as an adult My biggest challenge is trying to balance a full time job with three small children and fitting in exercise....

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three children (Alyssa 3 and 1/2, Dylan 2, Caitlyn 6 months)

CURRENT TRAINING: Running about 15-20 miles per week, starting spinning classes (have a trainer but hate it), and hopefully starting a swim program next week after a few beginner coaching lessons.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Several 5Ks and 10Ks

2009 RACES: not sure yet

2009-01-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1906428

Brandon, MS
Welcome to the group Lauren.  It is hard balancing family/work/training but it can be done- most of the time very early in the morning before the sun comes up.  Just know that the water in the pool is great at 4:30am.  I was skeptical at first but it really is nice bing the first one there- quiet and serene.  I also have a tough schedule.  I'm a pharmacist and work 12 hour shifts 7 days in a row at one job, then another 40-50 hours on my 7-off at another job.  I also have kids and a wife in law school.  So, I'm in the same boat as you are this being my first season.  Good Luck! 
2009-01-14 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1906602

Welcome to the group Lauren.

Scott, I doubt I could do the balancing act you are pulling off, thats really impressive.  Hope you're doing better.-j

2009-01-14 4:03 PM

Brandon, MS

Aaron (or any of the rest of you who may have some insight)-

Since I'm not training right now I might as well ask some questions. 

1.  Being a health care professional, what intersts me the most about triathlon and other endurance sports is the physiologic adaptations the body makes in response to training.  I have read some lately about Tabata intervals and have seen where this can be an effective strategy in improving both anaerobic and aerobic performance.  Have you experimented with the type of training?  Would there be any benefit in a newbie doing this type of training (running consistently for 6 months so far- besides duiring this illness)? 

2.  What is the most efficient way to increase swim distance?  Repeats (with a higher RPE) or a nonstop main set (with a lower RPE)? I understand that stroke mechanics are of the utmost importance and I feel like if I do a longer main set my mechanics break down faster BUT I feel like repeats are more like interval training than endurance training.  It probably really doesn't matter all that much for me this year since I won't be doing any really long swims; but, I am certainly interested in improving my endurance in the water.  When I was building up my running base it was always long, slow runs (and long is a relative term).

These may seem like contradicting questions and I guess potentially if you answer the first question you may answer the second.  But, swimming may be different.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by scottmckenzierx 2009-01-14 4:03 PM
2009-01-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1908054

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

Scott,

My amateur thoughts on # 2...

I think that my swim endurance came from being on top of the water, face down, breathing thru a snorkel while spear fishing.  I can't remember any time that I wasn't in the water kicking for less than an hour. 

Granted, this is not "swimming", but it was time in the water.  I consider that to be the most important part because it got me REALLY in the habit of head/eyes looking straight down and staying steamlined.  I equate it to the same theory as time-in-the-saddle is what builds endurance on the bike.  Time in the water is time in the water.

But, this is different though.  With the swimming we're discussing, it's also about the mechanics...

I guess that what I'm saying is, if you can go longer, but still keep good swim form and technique, then go for it.  Slow down, stay aware of body position, stroke mechanics, and jsut spend time in the water making your body as long & straight as you can.

Hope I didn't confuse you.  Comments anyone?????

Where's that jet setting mentor of ours?!?! Oh yeah, he's on a plane, I think!!

2009-01-14 6:51 PM
in reply to: #1906428

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK

lcomak - 2009-01-14 7:04 AM

NAME: Lauren

STORY: This will be my 1st year of training for a triathalon. I love to run and bike (sprint to Oly distances) and although I like swimming, my fitness is terrible. I signed up for my first sprint tri this summer although I'm not sure I'll get past the swim portion. I'm thinking about lessons but somewhat embarrased as an adult My biggest challenge is trying to balance a full time job with three small children and fitting in exercise....

FAMILY STATUS: Married with three children (Alyssa 3 and 1/2, Dylan 2, Caitlyn 6 months)

CURRENT TRAINING: Running about 15-20 miles per week, starting spinning classes (have a trainer but hate it), and hopefully starting a swim program next week after a few beginner coaching lessons.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: Several 5Ks and 10Ks 2009 RACES: not sure yet

Welcome Lauren!!!

Lot's of great people in our group!!

Michael

Edited by Tr1Hawaii 2009-01-14 6:53 PM

2009-01-14 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1908054

Edited by JeepFleeb 2009-01-14 7:32 PM
2009-01-14 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1908412

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
JeepFleeb - 2009-01-14 7:30 PM

Time in the pool.  Everyone needs a mix of endurance, speed and drills, but your endurance will build from your total time in the water.  If anything, a new swimmer should do less endurance because their form isn't as good.  Instead of doing a 3x300m with 1min rest intervals, I'd advice something like 36x25m with 10sec rest intervals (same RPE as you would in the 3x300 set).  Same total distance but at the end of each length you pause, catch your breathe, and refocus your mind on what you're about to do.

Quality over quantity.

Thanks Aaron,  that's what I was trying to say but at times I tend to ramble.  Time in the water, but break it down into managable portions that keep you focused on proper form, right?

2009-01-14 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1908462

2009-01-14 10:38 PM

Regular
Chicago

Hi everybody,

So I can see that I joined a very ambitious group of people here! Terrific training everyone!

I have a question for y'all:

Does anyone have any experience with IT Band tightness and cycling? I'm pretty certain that my current knee problems have to do with tight IT bands (and a loose hip). Running hurts, but cycling does not (at least not directly, perhaps some stiffness after the fact.) I'm wondering if I might be prolonging the knee problem by continuing to cycle, even though I'm not in pain while I'm on the bike.

Any thoughts on prior experiences with this would be much appreciated!

2009-01-14 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1908739

2009-01-15 5:00 AM
in reply to: #1908739

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Skywashed - 2009-01-14 11:38 PM

Hi everybody,

So I can see that I joined a very ambitious group of people here! Terrific training everyone!

I have a question for y'all:

Does anyone have any experience with IT Band tightness and cycling? I'm pretty certain that my current knee problems have to do with tight IT bands (and a loose hip). Running hurts, but cycling does not (at least not directly, perhaps some stiffness after the fact.) I'm wondering if I might be prolonging the knee problem by continuing to cycle, even though I'm not in pain while I'm on the bike.

Any thoughts on prior experiences with this would be much appreciated!

I got some problems with my ITBand last year after my half-mary. Had to stop running all together and use a foam roller for a while, but I never stoped riding, and it's fine now. I am no  professionnal though, but it's what I did.

2009-01-15 6:02 AM
in reply to: #1908886

Regular
Lawton / Fort Sill, OK
rlejeune - 2009-01-15 5:00 AM

I got some problems with my ITBand last year after my half-mary. Had to stop running all together and use a foam roller for a while, but I never stoped riding, and it's fine now. I am no  professionnal though, but it's what I did.

Good morning all!

This is the 4th or 5th reference I've seen to this item.  What is it?

Edited by Tr1Hawaii 2009-01-15 6:03 AM
2009-01-15 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1908912

Elite
Quebec, Canada

This is one of the different model that they have.

There's a lot of different exercise that you can do on those. But basically you just roll yourself over it to do a deep massage of the muscles.

Edited by rlejeune 2009-01-15 6:58 AM
2009-01-15 7:23 AM

Elite
I was able to get rid of my ITBS by stretching my ITB, and to stop running on certain roads that are curved on the edges. WHe you run on some roads the sides dip down, and then overtime because your legs are running at different lengths your hips can get out of alignment.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JeepFleeb's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14