BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-05-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2155059

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: bschulte mentor Group - Closed
MacMadame - 2009-05-16 3:17 PM I'm in transition right now. I'm still losing, but I want to slow that down and I'm close to where I want to maintain. Plus I'm ramping up my training so that's in flux too. So it's hard to generalize, but I'll try. Smile

I start the morning with a protein shake almost every day.  It's easy and it sets me up for the day by getting in a lot of my protein requirements and a decent amount of calories. (I operate on the principle that breakfast should be your big meal of the day, not dinner.) I also end the day with a protein drink -- usually protein hot chocolate. It's more of a light snack in terms of calories and protein grams. I think of it as topping me off for the day. Protein is supposedly more readily absorbed in the morning and at night so I try to maximize what I'm eating then to take advantage of that fact.

In between, I have lunch, an afternoon snack and dinner. These are almost always protein based. Often some sort of meat (or fish or eggs) with veggies for the meals. Snack are often yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, or hard-boiled eggs. Once in a while I'll have a handful of nuts. I will occasionally have something starchy in there, like potatoes, but I find the cheese, nuts and veggies have plenty of carbs. I have fruit once in a while too. Right now I don't have fruit every day but I think I will eventually. Other occasional foods are things like avocado and protein bars.

OTOH, I find protein bars to be basically candy so I avoid them. Yes, they are slightly more healthy than candy, but only slightly. Plus they are a trigger food for me and lead to other bad things. But they are convenient and work well when combined with a workout.

The big question mark in my diet right now is fueling, especially on race day. Right now my workouts aren't long enough to *require* fueling but I use them to experiment with what I need to do on race day. I've tried a lot of things -- gels, Gatorade, GU20, Recoverite, bananas, clif shot blocks, protein bars, HEED, etc. The thing that seems to work the best is bananas, Recoverite and protein bars. But Recoverite tastes like crap. Smile So I have worked up a special mix where I add other things to it that taste better but preserve the 3:1 carb to protein ratio. Plus, I can't eat bananas on the bike and I need something on longer bike rides besides my special mix.

So I'll keep experimenting... 

Sounds like you are doing some great experimenting.  Everyone is different so one size doesn't fit all. So you are spot on by experiementing to figure out what works for you.

2009-05-18 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2078550

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Guess we got some of your wet weather down here, it must be summer. Got a quick run in tonight hate running in the dark this late but had to burn something off. Only did 4.5 but was able to kick it up a notch due to the coolness out.  That and we had steak for supper tonight. Definitely not on the weight program. Back to salads and yard bird for the rest of the week.
2009-05-19 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Taper time for the spring HIM. I thought I would share my nutrition and pacing plan. I used the nutrition plan at Steelhead and Kona last year so it works very well for me. Same nutrition plan as Steelhead and Kona. It's tested, tried and true. Swim- Pacing-- Steady for first 100 then settle into moderate pace- Nutrition-- 2 gels prior to swim startBike- Pacing-- Average 200 to 215 watts for entire ride.- Nutrition-- At top of every hour take 1/3 of feed bottle (6 scoops Carbo-pro, 1 scoop Gu2O) followed by water-- At bottom of every hour take 1 gel followed by water-- Water at 15 and 45 minutes with goal to finish 1 bottles per hourRun- Pacing-- 5 miles at 8:30 pace-- 5 miles at 8:15 pace-- 3 miles whatever I have left- Nutrition-- Gel every 3 miles-- Water every aid station

Edited by jonathan22 2009-05-19 2:32 PM
2009-05-19 3:22 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Jonathan read your eating plan do you  like it better then solid food on the bike? I did one bar on bike in my last oly. Another quest for you what type of workout plan are you using? I was reading your logs and our times are similar but I need to work on run. Terrain down here (FL) is flat so I may start using the track this summer while school is out to work on sprints. My questions deal with HIM distances for you. Thanks
2009-05-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: #2161532

User image

Master
fireman70 - 2009-05-19 4:22 PM Jonathan read your eating plan do you  like it better then solid food on the bike? I did one bar on bike in my last oly. Another quest for you what type of workout plan are you using? I was reading your logs and our times are similar but I need to work on run. Terrain down here (FL) is flat so I may start using the track this summer while school is out to work on sprints. My questions deal with HIM distances for you. Thanks

I don't normally rely on solids during training or racing.  Occasionally in training I will have an uncrustable or a banana;  Generally speaking though, the nutrition plan above is what I use in training all year round (less water during the winter and maybe a few more solids since stuff tends to freeze in deep winter).  

Nutrition is a whole topic that we could spend weeks on and it's very personal as to what does and does not work.  I have found through trial and error that the plan above is simple and it works.  I had a bad experience with Perpetuem at Gulf Coast HIM a year ago and began experimenting with a new nutrition plan.  The one component I that took me a while to figure out was sodium.  I need a lot LESS then most people.   Maybe it's becuase my normal diet (traveling on the road during the week for work) is higher in sodium. 

Regarding workout plan, I am coached by Mike Plumb at Tripower.org.  I have been using him for a year now. There was a 2 month period during the winter where I thought I would go self-coached but I like to be told what to do (I am married after all).  Seriously, with work, kids, wife, grad school and triathlon, I find it a lot easier to have Mike set my weekly schedule.  He got me to the start line of ironman last year injury free.  I am pleased with my overall fitness going into my HIM next week.
2009-05-19 7:10 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Thanks for the input i am just tossing a couple different plans around. I will probably get a coach next year for my ironman. I plan to do a couple more races this year HIM in Nov (Miami Man) then on to the big show. I am enjoying the workouts and I definitely stick to a plan myself.  If the schedule says i have to put in this much time then that is what I do. I have a weird schedule due to Fireman but it does give me time on the off days.  Another quick question for all sorry to get off topic Brent but I was wondering what type of bike computers people use and like. I have a crap one now and was wondering what people use? Thanks for any input.

2009-05-20 1:16 AM

User image

Expert
Northern CA

I'm thinking about getting a coach next year too. This year I'm focusing on distance... I'm getting faster too, but my focus is on adding distance, not speed. Next year I want to concentrate on getting faster and I think that is beyond my ability to do by myself.

2009-05-20 5:35 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Alright asking again what type of cyclocomputers or gps devices do you guys use on your bike? I am looking to get a new one and thought why not ask the group. Any advice is appreciated.
2009-05-21 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2164448

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

fireman70 - 2009-05-20 6:35 PM Alright asking again what type of cyclocomputers or gps devices do you guys use on your bike? I am looking to get a new one and thought why not ask the group. Any advice is appreciated.

Garmin 305 - love it!

2009-05-21 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2165101

User image

Master
rymac - 2009-05-21 7:23 AM

fireman70 - 2009-05-20 6:35 PM Alright asking again what type of cyclocomputers or gps devices do you guys use on your bike? I am looking to get a new one and thought why not ask the group. Any advice is appreciated.

Garmin 305 - love it!

Ditto for me (aside from power tap head unit also). 
2009-05-22 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
I have a Cateye Strada. It doesn't tell me my cadence or communicate with my HRM. So I'll probably be upgrading at some point. But for distance, time and MPH, it works just fine.

2009-05-22 8:06 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Sorry folks, I've been a little absent for a few days.  Work and training have been crazy.  Great discussion on race nutrition and the advice is spot on.  Different for everyone and only you can figure out what will work for you.  As far as electronics.....I have a pretty simple bike computer as I really on you speed, and the odometer, so minimalist approach.  I think it is a Cat-eye Strada as well.  I like it.  I would suggest wireless as it is just so much cleaner and easier.  I use the Timex Bodylink system (HRM, GPS which link to the watch).  I must say I am not terribly happy with it.  I have a healthy inventory of spare parts as I have acquired back ups and spare.  When the Garmin 405 multisport (I think it will be called the 410X or something) comes out I am upgrading.  Waterproof, 20 hr battery, HRM, ANT compatible (will read Power Tap Wireless hub).  My issue with the 305, is the inability to wear it for an entire IM (battery life and not waterproof).  The new one is supposed to be out this Spring, but in typical Garmin fashion it is behind schedule.
2009-05-22 9:21 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Thanks for the input on the electronics. I will probably wait until the 410 comes out and hear how it plays out. The other idea was the 405 for me. I am a gadget freak. I have been having issues with my suunto t4 with hrm. makes it hard to stay in zones. Today I did the old school method every person I passed on my run I would actually say hello have a nice day. That way I would not be running so hard. Who knows what the hr was but felt pretty good on the run easy pace for me did a nice 8 today skipped the pool in between storms. We are definitely out of our drought down here now. HIM for some of you guys is coming up. Taper week?
2009-05-22 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
I use a blackburn cyclocomputer, which has just the basic speedo/odometer functions and an overall time per ride.  As far as a HRM, I use a timex triathlon series which has the ability to link to a computer with the data using a wireless USB download (although I haven't set that up yet and have been just hand-keying in the info to the training log.  At some point, I will probably upgrade, but I have a few other things on the hit list first to get. 
2009-05-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2169187

User image

Alpharetta, GA
fireman70 - 2009-05-22 10:21 PM Thanks for the input on the electronics. I will probably wait until the 410 comes out and hear how it plays out. The other idea was the 405 for me. I am a gadget freak. I have been having issues with my suunto t4 with hrm. makes it hard to stay in zones. Today I did the old school method every person I passed on my run I would actually say hello have a nice day. That way I would not be running so hard. Who knows what the hr was but felt pretty good on the run easy pace for me did a nice 8 today skipped the pool in between storms. We are definitely out of our drought down here now. HIM for some of you guys is coming up. Taper week?

Yes HIM next Saturday.  Not taper for me as IMCDA is my A race June 21.  I will however probably take next Friday competely off.
2009-05-24 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2169092

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

bschulte - 2009-05-22 9:06 PM Sorry folks, I've been a little absent for a few days.  Work and training have been crazy.  Great discussion on race nutrition and the advice is spot on.  Different for everyone and only you can figure out what will work for you.  As far as electronics.....I have a pretty simple bike computer as I really on you speed, and the odometer, so minimalist approach.  I think it is a Cat-eye Strada as well.  I like it.  I would suggest wireless as it is just so much cleaner and easier.  I use the Timex Bodylink system (HRM, GPS which link to the watch).  I must say I am not terribly happy with it.  I have a healthy inventory of spare parts as I have acquired back ups and spare.  When the Garmin 405 multisport (I think it will be called the 410X or something) comes out I am upgrading.  Waterproof, 20 hr battery, HRM, ANT compatible (will read Power Tap Wireless hub).  My issue with the 305, is the inability to wear it for an entire IM (battery life and not waterproof).  The new one is supposed to be out this Spring, but in typical Garmin fashion it is behind schedule.

C'mon Brent - you are giong to finish well under 10 hours anyway - plenty of battery life for you!!!!  I do however wish it was water proof and much smaller - that would make it perfect.

2009-05-24 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
June 7th....two weeks exactly until the REV3 HIM for me.  I have to admit, I am getting a little geeked up for it.  We are having a mixed bag of T-storms this weekend in CO, so it's treadmill work today with a swim/bike brick planned for tomorrow (probably full length on both, since I will be packing by bike by Wed to ship).  I will finish out this next week and then taper down until the 7th.  Question for any of you....I live at and have been training at 52-5400ft for the duration up until this event, do any of you have any experience with any possible advantages that I may pick up when I do this event at roughly 500ft above sea level???  Just curious....
2009-05-24 5:53 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
I have been looking at the Garmin 410 and also something from Polar that seems to have similar capability (the RS300?). I will probably get this for Christmas, so I have plenty of time to research. Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

I joined a gym and took my first spin class today. I loved it. My gym has two types of spin classes -- Studio Cycle and Road Cycle. Road Cycle is for cyclists so that's the one I took. I think it will help me a lot.

Then I did a short swim and a short run just because I missed my swim class this week and also hadn't gotten in my 3rd run of the week. Now I did do a long jacuzzi stint in between the spin class and the swimming but I was still shocked I could do that. I think I have been babying myself only doing one workout a day.

I'm working off a Half-Marathon plan from FIRST and I'm somewhat confused by it. It talks about picking your HM pace and then doing runs where you go both slower and faster than that pace. But I am not sure how to pick my pace. I expect to not just build up distance, but to also get faster by Oct. But I don't want to pick a pace that is too fast for me to get my runs down now. So I should I base it on my current 5K pace or on the pace I *want* to get to?

Oh and I found two gels that seem to work for me. One even has protein in it! I think this will be good for the bike. I'm still working on how to fuel during the runs in a way that doesn't give me gastric distress. I haven't actually tried gels during the run though, just shot blocs and sports beans. But I sometimes get distress even just from drinking water so I'm thinking it's not what I'm consuming, but just the fact that I am.

Finally, after my bike fit, I started to get the numb toes that were mentioned here. So I asked our tri coach about it and he suggested that I push the cleats on my shoes back. Someone else in our group said going up 1/2 size in shoes can help with that too. Since I needed follow-up from my bike fit, I mentioned the cleat thing to him (as well as the toe numbness) and he agreed that my cleats needed to be farther back. I also bought the smaller seat he had recommended last time. So we'll see how it goes on my next long ride. 
2009-05-24 8:54 PM

Regular
Soutwest Florida
Holy crap macmadame that seems like a lot to change at once. My toe numbness thing now is not so bad, I feel that it is pressure on the cleat so if dont press to hard then I dont have the pain all in all I think it is the cleat for me. I wear my shoes very loose now that seems to help. Talked with multiple people who have the garmin 405 and they love it. I think that is what I will eventually go with because of the ability to add the bike cadence to it. For me I am also already thinking about my HM for my HIM. I dont know how it will work out but I hope to pull off a sub 2 hour HM. That being said I hope to have a 9 min mile pace for that portion. It is doable that is what I am running on my long days I know my hr zone is a little high but I am able to hold this pace rather well. It is a goal thing for me. If I set a goal then I have something to work towards. I am probably off base on my ideas but that is what I am doing thanks for bringing up a good question.
2009-05-24 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2170854

User image

Alpharetta, GA
baldbuyer - 2009-05-24 5:50 PM June 7th....two weeks exactly until the REV3 HIM for me.  I have to admit, I am getting a little geeked up for it.  We are having a mixed bag of T-storms this weekend in CO, so it's treadmill work today with a swim/bike brick planned for tomorrow (probably full length on both, since I will be packing by bike by Wed to ship).  I will finish out this next week and then taper down until the 7th.  Question for any of you....I live at and have been training at 52-5400ft for the duration up until this event, do any of you have any experience with any possible advantages that I may pick up when I do this event at roughly 500ft above sea level???  Just curious....

I've never been able to train "at altitude" before, but it is preferred by a lot of the Pro's.  I believe your body developes the adaptation of being more efficient at oxygen delivery.  Long answer for "you will benefit from it".
2009-05-24 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2170917

User image

Alpharetta, GA
MacMadame - 2009-05-24 6:53 PM I have been looking at the Garmin 410 and also something from Polar that seems to have similar capability (the RS300?). I will probably get this for Christmas, so I have plenty of time to research. Anyone have any thoughts on the pros and cons of each?

I joined a gym and took my first spin class today. I loved it. My gym has two types of spin classes -- Studio Cycle and Road Cycle. Road Cycle is for cyclists so that's the one I took. I think it will help me a lot.

Then I did a short swim and a short run just because I missed my swim class this week and also hadn't gotten in my 3rd run of the week. Now I did do a long jacuzzi stint in between the spin class and the swimming but I was still shocked I could do that. I think I have been babying myself only doing one workout a day.

I'm working off a Half-Marathon plan from FIRST and I'm somewhat confused by it. It talks about picking your HM pace and then doing runs where you go both slower and faster than that pace. But I am not sure how to pick my pace. I expect to not just build up distance, but to also get faster by Oct. But I don't want to pick a pace that is too fast for me to get my runs down now. So I should I base it on my current 5K pace or on the pace I *want* to get to?

Oh and I found two gels that seem to work for me. One even has protein in it! I think this will be good for the bike. I'm still working on how to fuel during the runs in a way that doesn't give me gastric distress. I haven't actually tried gels during the run though, just shot blocs and sports beans. But I sometimes get distress even just from drinking water so I'm thinking it's not what I'm consuming, but just the fact that I am.

Finally, after my bike fit, I started to get the numb toes that were mentioned here. So I asked our tri coach about it and he suggested that I push the cleats on my shoes back. Someone else in our group said going up 1/2 size in shoes can help with that too. Since I needed follow-up from my bike fit, I mentioned the cleat thing to him (as well as the toe numbness) and he agreed that my cleats needed to be farther back. I also bought the smaller seat he had recommended last time. So we'll see how it goes on my next long ride. 

Hi Marie, in regards to the pacing question.  As you continue to race and train you will become more and more familiar with your pacing and HR during those paces.  I think what your plan is looking for is for you to pick a goal finish time, convert that to a mins/mile pace and do the workouts (over and under) off of that.  So the real question is "how do you pick the pace".  First of all, don't pick your 5k pace, unless you think you could hold that for the entire 13.1 miles.  If so, race your 5k's faster Tongue out.  Here's what I would suggest, during your medium distance runs over the next few weeks, do some experimenting.  Run them faster than your easy pace, but not your fast pace.  Make sure and note how you feel during these paces.  You should definitely be able to finish the entire run at this pace and perhaps still have a little left in the tank, but you are tired.  Assuming your medium distance run is about 4 miles or so, not sure.  Remember the HR discussions?  Racing a HM should be sub LT (zone 3 or 4), so keep that in mind if you have calculated your zones.  So your higher intensity runs, which will be shorter, will be faster than this pace you have determined, and your long runs will be slower.

Hope that helped?

2009-05-25 12:50 AM
in reply to: #2171225

User image

Expert
Northern CA
bschulte - 2009-05-24 7:11 PM First of all, don't pick your 5k pace, 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I put my 5k pace into some calculator and a 13.1k pace pops out.

But I do think I need to be running faster. Every time I run faster on the treadmill than the time before, I am sure before I begin that I'm going to die, but then I do it just fine.

The bigger problem is that my long run in the first week of this plan is supposed to be 6 miles and I can't do that yet. So I need a plan to get on my plan! Heh. (I'm just going to use math to add some weeks onto the front, I think.)

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on my HR and pace and see what happens. I don't want to pick a pace I can't sustain now because I think I'll be able to sustain it in Oct. 
2009-05-25 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2171389

User image

Alpharetta, GA
MacMadame - 2009-05-25 1:50 AM
bschulte - 2009-05-24 7:11 PM First of all, don't pick your 5k pace, 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I put my 5k pace into some calculator and a 13.1k pace pops out.

But I do think I need to be running faster. Every time I run faster on the treadmill than the time before, I am sure before I begin that I'm going to die, but then I do it just fine.

The bigger problem is that my long run in the first week of this plan is supposed to be 6 miles and I can't do that yet. So I need a plan to get on my plan! Heh. (I'm just going to use math to add some weeks onto the front, I think.)

Anyway, I'll keep my eye on my HR and pace and see what happens. I don't want to pick a pace I can't sustain now because I think I'll be able to sustain it in Oct. 

The speed work will make you faster, therefore, in theory, you should get faster as you get closer to the race.  You can change your target pace as you get faster.  It doesn't need to stay the same for the entire training period.  Every month or so determine whether your target pace should be adjusted (small adjustments).  You may find that as the training progresses you have been able to knock your target pace down quite a bit.  I adjust my training target paces every couple months or so, depending on how my fitness it progressing throughout the season.

Edited by bschulte 2009-05-25 8:08 AM
2009-05-25 9:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
My problem is I haven't been able to get back to the pace I was at last season for my HIM (running). I was in the low 9's with intervals around 8:40 and this season after taking about 2 months off entirely I can't seem to break 10:00mm w/o my HR sky rocketing. does it really take this long to get beck in shape after a lapse of that long? I seem to be able to push during races but my HR is always way too high. My first 1/2 Mary is this weekend which should be a good test. Very frustrating!
2009-05-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2172430

User image

Alpharetta, GA
mburkhart - 2009-05-25 10:22 PM My problem is I haven't been able to get back to the pace I was at last season for my HIM (running). I was in the low 9's with intervals around 8:40 and this season after taking about 2 months off entirely I can't seem to break 10:00mm w/o my HR sky rocketing. does it really take this long to get beck in shape after a lapse of that long? I seem to be able to push during races but my HR is always way too high. My first 1/2 Mary is this weekend which should be a good test. Very frustrating!

Sounds frustrating for sure.  Just keep at it and your fitness will come back.  One thing to keep in mind is that your resting HR is probably not as low as it used to be so in fact all of your zones have moved up.  Not sure, but it can make a difference.  You may think you are in a higher zone than you actually are.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bschulte mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14