BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-05-07 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2136024

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people
Lisa B - 2009-05-07 9:52 AM

Dollar thanks for posting the stuff you did yesterday for us - I need to take some time today to look at it.  Hopefully the bosses won't show up for a while and I can do it now!  And good luck at Gulf Coast this weekend!  Can't wait to hear all about the race and gain some more experience through you!

Ugh.  We will see. 

2009-05-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2086538

User image

Davenport, IA
Just ran 8.16 miles.  That's the farthest I've ever run.  December 2007 I couldn't manage 3 miles on the treadmill without my legs getting so messed up I couldn't walk for days.  That 8.16 miles pretty much represents a typical week of running for me last year.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2009-05-07 8:34 PM
2009-05-08 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2137565

User image

Pro
NJ
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 7:56 PM Just ran 8.16 miles.  That's the farthest I've ever run.  December 2007 I couldn't manage 3 miles on the treadmill without my legs getting so messed up I couldn't walk for days.  That 8.16 miles pretty much represents a typical week of running for me last year.

Hey Dan, that's terrific....congratulations!  Woo Hoo and all that!!! That's really something to feel good about. You have nothing but "firsts" ahead of you.  Now that you're getting to some longer runs in your traning plan you might want to discover the joys of the ice bath.  I've found them to be torture in a tub great for recovery on runs greater than 10 miles ..... which for me is a seriously longer run.
2009-05-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2137565

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 7:56 PM Just ran 8.16 miles.  That's the farthest I've ever run.  December 2007 I couldn't manage 3 miles on the treadmill without my legs getting so messed up I couldn't walk for days.  That 8.16 miles pretty much represents a typical week of running for me last year.

Awesome!  It is such a good feeling to go where you never thought you would or could go. 
2009-05-08 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2136785

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
ADollar79 - 2009-05-07 2:11 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 10:57 AM
Lisa B - 2009-05-07 9:17 AM
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 10:02 AM Glad you've had the chance to play around with the gearing and discover it for yourself Lisa.  Also very good to hear that Cervelo is going to warranty that for you.  That's some good customer service.

Thanks for making that point about me discovering it myself and understanding.  Being stubborn I would not/did not listen to anyone before hand.  Just glad it only took me 3 rides to figure it out so I can get on with some good training.

As for Cervelo, I bought the bike from an out of state store and had some serious problems with receiving it.  I ended up calling Cervelo to complain and talked to a guy there that ended up getting me the bike (I'd probably still be waiting).  When I was having the gearing issues and through this thread found out that I had the wrong crank I was able to call him back and he remembered me.  Called him again yesterday and he said that normally by this point they would not have covered it under warranty (should have done it right away, although who would ever think that their bike came with the wrong components - again doesn't say much for the shop I bought it from) but since I have talked with him and had problems they would go ahead and cover it.  So yeah - great customer service!

Yeah, I don't do that either.  I do think you'll end up liking the compact.  From what I've heard, a lot of people do.  Some day I want to try one, but there are a lot of other things I want to try first.
And you must have been very impressive with your complaints if someone remembered you several months later.

I will refrain from the giant I told you so and instead rub it in your face next time I see you. 

I am glad that you got to experiment with the larger crank earlier in the season.  And I am glad you decided against it quickly.  As I mentioned a few posts back, it is hard to imagine that you needed help on both ends of the spectrum.  Don't sell yourself too short.  You can probably push the 53/39 just fine.  Again, the move from a compact to a TT is a jump and does take some time to get used to.

Last night I hopped on my road bike for only the 2nd time in about 9 months.  It was SO easy to get up the hills.  I just cracked myself up when I was holding a cadence of 85+ uphill. 

Ok - so my damn crank SAGA continues.  Take my bike to All3Sports and drop it off for the new compact crank.  Leave there and on my way back to work I call to ask if it would be possible for me to keep the standard that they are taking off my bike.  Matt - the bike guru up there answers the phone and he proceeds to tell that NO WAY do I want to put a compact crank on 650 wheels.  That the standard was supposed to come on there and the reason it's on there is that with a compact crank someone with 650 wheels would be at a serious disadvantage to someone with 700 wheels.  And would have no gearing.   SOOOOOOOOO, I will be keeping the standard crank and like it (I am reminding myself that before I put the 55 on there I don't remember not liking it - just wanting more downhill gearing)!  Just will have to work to make my legs stronger! 
2009-05-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2138983

User image

Davenport, IA
Lisa B - 2009-05-08 12:20 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-07 10:02 AM Glad you've had the chance to play around with the gearing and discover it for yourself Lisa.  Also very good to hear that Cervelo is going to warranty that for you.  That's some good customer service.

Thanks for making that point about me discovering it myself and understanding.  Being stubborn I would not/did not listen to anyone before hand.  Just glad it only took me 3 rides to figure it out so I can get on with some good training.

As for Cervelo, I bought the bike from an out of state store and had some serious problems with receiving it.  I ended up calling Cervelo to complain and talked to a guy there that ended up getting me the bike (I'd probably still be waiting).  When I was having the gearing issues and through this thread found out that I had the wrong crank I was able to call him back and he remembered me.  Called him again yesterday and he said that normally by this point they would not have covered it under warranty (should have done it right away, although who would ever think that their bike came with the wrong components - again doesn't say much for the shop I bought it from) but since I have talked with him and had problems they would go ahead and cover it.  So yeah - great customer service!

Yeah, I don't do that either.  I do think you'll end up liking the compact.  From what I've heard, a lot of people do.  Some day I want to try one, but there are a lot of other things I want to try first.
And you must have been very impressive with your complaints if someone remembered you several months later.

I will refrain from the giant I told you so and instead rub it in your face next time I see you. 

I am glad that you got to experiment with the larger crank earlier in the season.  And I am glad you decided against it quickly.  As I mentioned a few posts back, it is hard to imagine that you needed help on both ends of the spectrum.  Don't sell yourself too short.  You can probably push the 53/39 just fine.  Again, the move from a compact to a TT is a jump and does take some time to get used to.

Last night I hopped on my road bike for only the 2nd time in about 9 months.  It was SO easy to get up the hills.  I just cracked myself up when I was holding a cadence of 85+ uphill. 

Ok - so my damn crank SAGA continues.  Take my bike to All3Sports and drop it off for the new compact crank.  Leave there and on my way back to work I call to ask if it would be possible for me to keep the standard that they are taking off my bike.  Matt - the bike guru up there answers the phone and he proceeds to tell that NO WAY do I want to put a compact crank on 650 wheels.  That the standard was supposed to come on there and the reason it's on there is that with a compact crank someone with 650 wheels would be at a serious disadvantage to someone with 700 wheels.  And would have no gearing.   SOOOOOOOOO, I will be keeping the standard crank and like it (I am reminding myself that before I put the 55 on there I don't remember not liking it - just wanting more downhill gearing)!  Just will have to work to make my legs stronger! 

I'll only laugh if you tell a story where you show up to a ride with no crank at all. 

2009-05-08 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2139159

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-08 2:04 PM
Lisa B - 2009-05-08 12:20 PM

I'll only laugh if you tell a story where you show up to a ride with no crank at all. 

I'm laughing now - and it's thanks to you for making light of this crazy crankola issue.
2009-05-08 2:57 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
So I picked up a Forerunner 305 today.  Figured it might be a good idea to tie in my RPE to some hard data.  Should be interesting.
2009-05-08 4:31 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Question about side stitches...am sure I could find info on main thread but would like to hear from the group how they deal with them.  Today I started having wickid side stitches on the right just at a half mile in.  I rarely get them but when I do, I can usually push through and they go away, but today was an exception.  It stuck with me for 5+ miles.  I hate to walk because of a cramp, but just couldn't push through.  I guess that's the mental toughness part.  FYI, I did run later in the morning rather than after rolling out of bed.  I had a light breakfast (banana and peanut butter toast) about 2 hours before the run and gu just before heading out.  Normally run on gu only.

How have others handled?
2009-05-08 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2139464

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-08 3:57 PM So I picked up a Forerunner 305 today.  Figured it might be a good idea to tie in my RPE to some hard data.  Should be interesting.

Have you done any field testing yet or will that be now?
2009-05-09 7:13 AM
in reply to: #2139925

User image

Davenport, IA
Lisa B - 2009-05-08 7:42 PM
Sprint_DA - 2009-05-08 3:57 PM So I picked up a Forerunner 305 today.  Figured it might be a good idea to tie in my RPE to some hard data.  Should be interesting.

Have you done any field testing yet or will that be now?

Nope, never done any field testing.

2009-05-09 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Did my longst ride to date today!!!! Somewhere between 53-56 miles in 3:20! Definatly need more of those. Will post more later!

2009-05-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2141012

User image

Davenport, IA
Pegasus1731 - 2009-05-09 7:57 PM

Did my longst ride to date today!!!! Somewhere between 53-56 miles in 3:20! Definatly need more of those. Will post more later!

Sweet!  How did the new bike treat you on the ride?
2009-05-09 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2141089

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Sprint_DA - 2009-05-09 9:02 PM

LOVE it!!!!!!  Think I definatly need to get a new saddle, but other than that we're getting along great!

2009-05-09 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2141159

User image

Davenport, IA
Is your butt just not breaking in to that new saddle the way you'd hoped? 
2009-05-10 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2139676

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
kcarroll - 2009-05-08 5:31 PM Question about side stitches...am sure I could find info on main thread but would like to hear from the group how they deal with them.  Today I started having wickid side stitches on the right just at a half mile in.  I rarely get them but when I do, I can usually push through and they go away, but today was an exception.  It stuck with me for 5+ miles.  I hate to walk because of a cramp, but just couldn't push through.  I guess that's the mental toughness part.  FYI, I did run later in the morning rather than after rolling out of bed.  I had a light breakfast (banana and peanut butter toast) about 2 hours before the run and gu just before heading out.  Normally run on gu only.

How have others handled?

Unfortunately there are no clear answers here.  In fact, the running/medical community can't even pinpoint exactly what causes side stitches.  It sounds like you did every thing right...not eating too close to running, tried to push through it, etc. 

The have two recommendations.  Most commonly, they can be defeated by altering your breathing style.  Try to let out a few deep exasperations when you run.  Second, do like you did and acknowledge it.  Maybe you have to stop and take 30s to get your breathing under control.  Usually acknowledging pain/discomfort is a good method for getting it to go away. 

Great job pushing through it!!

2009-05-10 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2141159

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Pegasus1731 - 2009-05-09 11:23 PM

Sprint_DA - 2009-05-09 9:02 PM

LOVE it!!!!!!  Think I definatly need to get a new saddle, but other than that we're getting along great!

Awesome job getting in that ride.  A saddle on a new bike will take some getting used to.  A rule of thumb is to give the bike a solid 3-500 miles before you make that decision.   You need to build up the muscles/skin that you use in aero position
2009-05-11 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2139676

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kcarroll - 2009-05-08 4:31 PM Question about side stitches...am sure I could find info on main thread but would like to hear from the group how they deal with them.  Today I started having wickid side stitches on the right just at a half mile in.  I rarely get them but when I do, I can usually push through and they go away, but today was an exception.  It stuck with me for 5+ miles.  I hate to walk because of a cramp, but just couldn't push through.  I guess that's the mental toughness part.  FYI, I did run later in the morning rather than after rolling out of bed.  I had a light breakfast (banana and peanut butter toast) about 2 hours before the run and gu just before heading out.  Normally run on gu only.

How have others handled?

I am going to jump in here to answer this one, even though I haven't introduced myself or anything yet! I get side stitches pretty frequently and this is what works for me: breath out when your opposite foot hits the ground. So if I have a stitch on my right side (most common) I make sure to breath out when my LEFT foot hits the ground. It's simple but it works.
Jessica
2009-05-11 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
New Week: 

How was the weekend?

What are your goals for this week?  

---------------

I was at Gulf Coast this weekend.  Subpar race for me but did about what I thought I would do. 

This week is recovery for me.  I will do some very light working out.  Probably sneak in a massage and focus on healing. 
2009-05-11 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2142963

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
I'll start.

I had a pretty good weekend.  Did a negative split 8 miler on Saturday and felt really good and long (painful/hard) interval bike workout yesterday followed by a short trun.

Biggest success I had this weekend - I took Andrew's advice given to me when I saw him riding about a week ago.  I checked all of our local tri clubs websites and found a group OWS that allowed me to come participate.  It was at a great location I had not been to before (Red Top Mountain) and they had a short presentation about OWS, 2 kayakers for support and about 25 participants.  Most wore wet suits (including me cause my next race is supposed to be wet suit legal) and I had the best OWS practice I think I have ever had.  I had no panic issues at all - at one point I started to think about it - and I just told myself that I can swim and just kept on going.  Did about 4 out and backs to a buoy that was about 200 yards one way.  Only thing I am now worried about is that I am wet suit dependent!  Feel very comfortable in at as I know I could float all day if I had to.  So next step is OWS with no wet suit in two weeks (got a Swimsafe belt and I'm hoping that will give me confidence too).  I'm figuring if I OWS as often as possible I can beat this panic thing!

This week I have a very easy schedule as I have had two big volume weeks in a row and on Saturday I have my first Oly (and third one ever).  A little apprehensive as it seems so early in the season and hope I'm ready but as Coach Dan says - "can you swim - can you bike 25 miles - can you run 6 miles?  Then what are you worried about?"  What I'm worried about is putting it all together! 

Andrew - I think you had a great race at GC, especially considering the weather conditions.  I would love to be as "sub par" as you are! 

Edited by Lisa B 2009-05-11 12:11 PM
2009-05-11 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2142963

User image

Expert
Ontario

I'm pretty happy with my week last week, although I took Sunday off and did my long bike today instead. Other then that I got all my workouts in as written although I moved things around a bit from my original plan.  The only issues I've had is some leg cramping during my swims, which is nothing new for me.

This weeks plan is to get everything done again.  I need to do some tweaking of the plan again though, as I need Saturday off and I work Tues - Fri this week so it may be tough to fit it all in.   I may have to skip one bike because the only other day I can do two sessions this week will be Thurs. but after Friday night I have seven days off so should be able to catch up on any missed workouts from this week.

2009-05-11 5:43 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
My weekend was full of brutal bicycling.  So very windy out here.  I also got a bit dehydrated due to my long run on Thursday, but didn't realize that until Sunday morning. 

My goals this week:
Get all of the swimming that's in my plan actually in during the week.
Don't freak out about the long run.  I still don't see myself as a runner, and this one's going to be in an area somewhere around 10 miles.
I've got some other personal goals that I need to meet just to get my general mood/well-being improved.
2009-05-11 5:53 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
Last week was tough.  I was miserable during both runs and essentially shut down on Saturday.  Looking back, I did not adequately think through my recovery needs post half-mary..complicated by a crazy travel schedule/jet lag etc.  Am going to re-read the earlier discussion on this subject. By Sunday I felt much better and got in an easy bike and played soccer in my rec league.  Great running workout. Ran my tale off but was saddened to see two of my teammates carried off the field.  One ankle fracture and one completely blown knee...acl, mcl and meniscus.  Will give some thought as to how crazy I am to keep playing at a later date.

Anyhow, this week is my masters group's annual "swim fest" whatever that entails.  I'll be swimming every morning, alternating easy/hard.  This morning was easy and I had to do 2100 yds in an hour (I am SLOW)  Can't wait to see tomorrow's workout. Hopefully I can get out of the office in time to get some short bikes in before dark, but it may just be a lotta purple going into my log. 
2009-05-12 7:01 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great job everyone.  Keep up the good work.  Remember, I am here to help...let me know how I can help you.  Don't be shy if you have a question. 
2009-05-12 7:55 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
So how do y'all get through trainer rides?  It was getting too late to go out on the bike after I finished my run today, and the plan called for trainer time anyway.  I got through 30mins of an hour planned and just lost focus so bad I decided to call it.  I've no love for the trainer.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  

of 15