BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2010-01-18 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2591018

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed
I kicked off the week with my master's swim in the rain this morning! I was the only one there! I LOVE swimming laps in the rain, but apparently I'm the only one. I'm hoping to get a short run in later today. I will be out of town Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so I'll have to work hard getting my training in during the next four days!

2010-01-18 12:07 PM

User image

Port Kent, NY
Great Job Baowolf!!Smile
2010-01-18 6:27 PM

User image

York, PA
Christina, thanks for shoe info.

Looks like everyone is hitting the training.

I did 3.1 miles outside today. Actually got to 50 degrees in Pennsylvania. A real treat for January :-)
2010-01-18 6:57 PM

User image

Port Kent, NY
The hip stregthing must be working I haven't noticed any pain in a while.  I got in a pretty good run today but know I'm feeling crappy, my head feels like it is going to blow up!! Took some medicine and I hope it works I have a run and bike planned for tomorrow Brodie also hasn't been feeling so good and he has his 6 month appointment tomorrow, yeah more shots....

Have a great training week everyone!!
2010-01-19 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2620557

User image

Fort Worth
I hit the gym this morning and dug in my bag for my goggles and they weren't there.  I must have left them at the gym last time!  I now know just how much it sucks to swim without them.  bleh.
2010-01-19 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2620557

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Mommyintraining - 2010-01-18 7:57 PM The hip stregthing must be working I haven't noticed any pain in a while.  I got in a pretty good run today but know I'm feeling crappy, my head feels like it is going to blow up!! Took some medicine and I hope it works I have a run and bike planned for tomorrow Brodie also hasn't been feeling so good and he has his 6 month appointment tomorrow, yeah more shots....

Have a great training week everyone!!

My son just came down with a cold.  My wife and I were just discussing how so far this year we have been relatively sick free.  Figures 3 weeks before the HM!  Last year I got sick the week before the HM, crossing my fingers for this year.

2010-01-19 10:33 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Sorry to hear about all the colds going around.  The worst I had it was for the 3 months prior to my first half mary I could eat nothing but crackers and could only run a couple days a week.  I am having flashbacks right now 8). 

As for me... just a bit stiff today and yesterday... and probably tomorrow 8). 
2010-01-19 11:45 AM

User image

My daughter had a horrible cold all weekend so I didn't get to do any workouts.  She is feeling better but I think that I may have caught it Cry

I did start Week 3 of my  Couch to 5K yesterday.  I am running for longer periods of time and I can definitely feel my endurance level building.  Yea!! I hope to do some biking today.

Congrats on the run Baowolf. 

2010-01-19 3:11 PM

User image

Expert

I'm back!  I had fun catching up on everyone's training!  Great job everyone - especially Baowolf on the PR & Josh on the running milestone!

I hope everyone is feeling better and getting back in the swing of thing.  Got in at 3:30 this morning so today is unpacking etc., but I will catch up with everyone's training logs tomorrow and get re-started on my own training then too! 

2010-01-19 3:13 PM

User image

Expert

PS - to chime in on the insert debate - I hate the things unless you have severe foot problems and need custom made orthotics.  Your running shoe should be fit well enough to give you enough support.  I am finding that more and more the running stores are pushing them on everyone to make a few extra $$!

2010-01-19 9:20 PM

NE Texas
Just checking in letting you guys know i am still here. Way to go on the training everyone. I have made all my workouts so far and finally got my aerobars. Question for you guys... is a wetsuit worth getting so i can swim in colder water outside. I am getting dizzy doing laps in a very short pool. Just thought i would ask. I am planning on one for races but was seeking thoughts for training.

2010-01-19 9:28 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I got one.  The longer you swim and the colder the water, the more it is helpful.  Some races are wetsuit required.  But, if you are doing shorter races in warmer water, you can put it off until you can afford one.  Mine was like $150 ish, but you can spend way too much on them.  They are really tight when dry and just tight when wet 8).  It has to be a swim specific one a surfing wetsuit won't do at all. 
2010-01-20 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2623145

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Shinka, I hear you about the pool and outside swimming!  When the water temps get into the high 60/low 70 I'll put on my wetsuit (sleeveless) and go to a neighborhood park where I can swim a loop lap that is about 250 yards or to the intracoastal waters.

IMHO, if you are planning on getting on for races then yes it is worth it as you can get use to the feel of the WS and also practice getting in and out of it.

There are so many options for WS.  For my first I went with Promotion as many on BT at teh time had excellent opinions of them and they had a BT 10% discount (don't see it anymore but you can ask them).  They were very customer service friendly, I called and they helped me with the sizing.  They have a sale item/blemish page where WS are cheaper.
2010-01-20 10:09 AM

User image

It has been a hard week fitting in workouts so far.  I have been really busy between work and home.  I'm still trying to balance my time.  It's a constant struggle!

Thanks for everyone's input on the inserts.  I have been running without them and I really haven't noticed a difference.  I plan on returning them this weekend. 

Kati--how was your vacation in Costa Rica?  Did you go diving at all?  I went to Belize 2 years ago and it was awesome!  I love Central America--the people and the environment are so wonderful! 

I am having a hard time establishing a strength routine.  I have been doing the core workout on my running days but I would like to incorporate more strength on the other days.  Does anyone have any good routines that you could pass along?  Or any good websites that I could use?

Edited by christina322 2010-01-20 10:09 AM
2010-01-20 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

D3 Multisport.com has some good core workouts under Articles with pictures and descriptions.  Do not start with 3 sets 8).  I look forward to more core torture once I can walk again without feeling like I am auditioning for Frankenstein.  I am hopefull that more core strength will help me on the bike this year past mile 80.  

I watched a scarry youtube video about the CDA bike hills.  I am going to have to do a lot of hill riding this spring, that is for sure.   

2010-01-20 11:29 AM

User image

Port Kent, NY
Brodie went to his 6 month appointment yesterday and was so good, after the appointment I went to my sister in laws (who is 7 months pregnant) where my son threw up all over her floor, ok he started laughing and playing afterwards so we didn't think anything of it then I was holding him and he threw up again this time all over me... Came home and he threw up again..... so clear liquids it is.  He slept all night like 14 hours woke up and threw up two more times this morning....Ok I'm new to this I can't believe how much comes out of a 6 month old.  So its 1230 and he is down for a nap with 6 oz of formula in him.  WE MADE IT, HE'S IN THE CLEAR.   Know as for me I seem to have caught it.... though I have not thrown up.  I didn't get any of my work outs in yesterday and I'm trying to not beat myself up over it, I really hate missing workouts!  Going to try and get out for a run this afternoon.  Don't want to over do it so that I can get over this stomach bug as fast as can be.  So I survived my sons first sickness!!!! I pray that that is it because when he was crying I was crying I felt so helpless......  

Edited by Mommyintraining 2010-01-20 11:31 AM

2010-01-20 12:50 PM

User image

Expert

We are so landlocked here there is really no where to swim outside - I am jealous of all the ow swim talk!  I would definitly invest in a wetsuit. We ot my husband a used suit for his first one, it worked great for a few years and it was a lot cheaper than laying out a couple hundred dollars!

Christina - we didn't go dive on this trip, but we did and saw a lot of really cool stuff!  I could totally live in Costa Rica!!

Runners World and Bicycling Mag both have some great core workouts too that will target the core muscles that you will use running & biking. 

I'm staring out the window at the drizzle and thinking that I'd better get my butt out there for a run.  Sigh, vacation is over now!

2010-01-20 1:54 PM

User image

I am looking for weight training and/or strength training routines.  Sorry---what I wrote earlier was confusing.  I already have a core workout that I am following the Donto linked me to.  Any ideas or specific routines would be appreciated!

2010-01-20 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2624577

User image

Expert

christina322 - 2010-01-20 1:54 PM

I am looking for weight training and/or strength training routines.  Sorry---what I wrote earlier was confusing.  I already have a core workout that I am following the Donto linked me to.  Any ideas or specific routines would be appreciated!

You actually were clear, I was just sleep deprived : )  Hmm, even for other strength I love the things that runnersworld.com and bicycle magazine put out, but it's not a specific routine.  You could always go to the old standard Power90 (power90x is much more involved, but the plain power 90 strength workout is great and covers the whole body rather than splitting it into body groups.)  I am guessing you can get it on ebay used fairly cheap.  I have started using a program called IronYoga, I got the DVD on ebay for $10 and I love it.  I am a yoga nut though, so you have to appreciate yoga to appreciate IronYoga : )

Angie, hope you are feeling better!  (and Brodie too!)

2010-01-21 7:05 AM

User image

Expert

Morning all!  How is everyone today?  I hope all the germs have moved on and everyone is well!!

I'm headed out for a morning swim, they are calling for some winter weather here tonight and tomorrow so I might be stuck at home on the trainer tomorrow with kids home from school! 

Sending good training wishes everyone's way today!

2010-01-21 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2625768

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Good afternoon gang!

Busy day so far and more on the plate and the kids are already rebounding.  Feel great after yesterday's longish run.  10-15 minutes soaking legs and hips in 60-65 degree pool water is the best thing going after a good workout.  I've been using the foam roller just about every night, you certainly can find the problem areas. 

On the swimming front, good news is that I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Laughing
As soon as the HM is finished, I'm putting on the wetsuit and going for an open water swim in the intra-coastal. Here's the pier where a lot of locals swim, which is the swim location for the longest running triathlon in FL, the Pineapple Man sprint.

2010-01-21 7:52 PM

User image

Expert

Man, I am so jealous!!!  All I have are a bunch of beautiful mountain roads to bike on . . .

2010-01-21 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Hey everyone! Training has been tough going this week, with the crazy weather. I am going out of town for the next three days, and will not be able to train, as I'll be working all day and night...(in a fun way).

Have a great weekend!
2010-01-22 7:11 AM

User image

Port Kent, NY
Ok I think my house is over the sickness (figures crossed) Brodie is feeling much better and is at Daycare today and I feel better, I'm at work today.  Man I really don't like Brodie getting sick, I just felt so helpless.  Well I didn't do much this week in regards to training and that is a bummer but I am planing on swimming tonight and hopefully a run this afternoon after work.   I hope everyone had a good week and has a great weekend. 

2010-01-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2628271

User image

Fort Worth
I hit the pool at 5:00 this morning and got in my swim.  I felt pretty good during the whole thing.  I've discovered the resting back stroke to help me catch my breath without totally grabbing the side and sucking wind!  I still have a long ways to go in the water.  I'm ready for a nice run with the fam this evening.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kati's MOMMA training group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 20