BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-26 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3261813

User image

New user
USA
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
BAMBAM66 - 2010-12-26 10:07 AM Good Morning!  For those of you who don't know me, I'm  McFuzz's wife.  If you ever need him to go sit in time-out, just let me know and I will assist you!  Have fun with training and enjoy the other aspects of your life at the same time.  I will pop in on occasion but you are more than welcome to hop on over to my blog in you need anything.  I have posted pictures in my album of our new grandson.  Here is one to tempt you!

Timothy's first books

What a beautiful blessing.  May he bring you much joy and happiness.

2010-12-26 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Sorry that I have been slow to post my bio.  We've had family in town for Christmas and things have been a little crazy! 

NAME:  Rebecca

STORY: I was a serious competitive swimmer as a kid and I also ran cross country in high school.  Since college, my fitness activities have been limited to walking, hiking, and an occasional swim.  Last year I joined a gym and got hooked on training again!

FAMILY:  I'm married with two boys, ages 3 and 16.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm currently finishing my fourth week of a 30 week Ironman training plan.  I've been logging time, but not distance or pace. My husband got me a Garmin for Christmas, so hopefully I'll be logging more complete training data soon.

2010 RACES:  This was my first season of tri racing.  I did a couple of local sprint triathlons, a half marathon and a 2000m open water swim race.

2011 RACES:  Ironman Coeur d'Alene on June 26th !!

WEIGHT LOSS:  Currently 5'3/114

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I love hearing other people's fitness success stories.  I'm especially motivated by stories of people who are new or returning to fitness and making positive changes in their lives.  I also love training and talking about training! 
2010-12-26 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3262158

User image

Regular
Salem
Ree - 2010-12-26 5:46 PM Hi, can I still join this group?

Thought you were already a part of the group!!   :   )
2010-12-26 8:44 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Fun times already!Ree, I included you earlier, so yes, you're part of the group. Catch up on reading this thread and post an introduction.All,Internet is dicey until my son gets his computer reconnected. Please be patient for my responses. Thanks to all who are already answering questions and engaaging others in discussion.
2010-12-26 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3262064

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Hi everyone, my name is Josh Kugler

Everyone please add me as a friend here on BT.

My Story:  I am 37 years old, self employed (owner / part owner of 3 businesses).  I live in North East Indiana with my wife, Maria "Ree" and our three dogs (no kids)  We live a very active lifestyle.  I am seldom home befor it gets dark during anytime of the year (way past dark in the winter) I love to hunt, fish, skydive, all things tri, and eat like a pig. (mostly Buffalo Wild Wings)

Last year, I was sitting on the couch all fat and sassy thinking that if Matt Hoover (Biggest Looser season 2) could do an Ironman, that I could do it.  So I found BT and got into Mike's mentor group as a starting point.  Hoping that since Mike had already done an IM he would be able to help me figure out how to go about it.  I was right, in fact without his help, I am sure I would not have done it. 

Along the way, I have found a new group of friends and created bonds stronger than you would ever think possible with people (some of whom I have yet to meet in person) over the internet. 

I would love to help pay it foward for everything Mike (McFuzz) and our group from last year has done for me.  Unfortunately I am not sure I have all the experience needed to mentor my own group just yet.  But since this group is so large and my wife is involved in it I hope Mike will not mind my 2 cents worth now and then. 

I don't need to be cottled with inspires like I once did, but it is always exciting to see a red number in that box when you log on, so feel free to hit me anytime. 

In the past year I have logged just uner 1,700 miles on my bike, ran almost 450 miles, and spent more time in the lake than in my own bed it seems (just under 95 mile of swimming).  I completed my fist sprint tri in the early summer (finished liked 80 out of 120 but I survived. Completed IMKY in August in less than the required 17 hours (barely) and realized that the race was only the icing on the cake.  The road to the Ironman was more important to me than the actuall race.  There are a lot of landmarks along that road, and I am glad to have had the chance to share that road with some of my friend here on BT.  At the end of the summer, I went on for a sixth place finish at one last sprint in Columbus, OH where I met up with three friends I had met here on BT.

Weight Loss I went from just over 200 lbs to 181 on the morning of IMKY (174 that night after the race).  Weight loss was not as important to me as actually looking good.  I have a couple of befor and after pics on my profile you can see.

Current traing embarassingly non-existant right now.  One of my businesses is in South Dakota, and I just got home a few weeks ago.  I have just hired a coach, and will be hitting it very hard starting next training for my first race of 2011.

Race plans  2011 1/2 Marathon with my brother in Indy in May.  Triple T - Columbus, OH in May.  1/2 IM - Racine, WI (with my wife) in July.  - 2012 IMKY

I love to yack, and tell stories, and ramble on, and on, and on.  I can be found on FB under [email protected] and I love to share experiences and advice when ever I can help.

I would rather live one day as a lion, than a lifetime as a lamb.

Edited by discipleguideservice 2010-12-26 9:55 PM
2010-12-26 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3262114

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-26 4:54 PM I JUST started swimming this year (last January to be exact) and being an in-shape runner, swimming pissed me off for that very reason...the breathing. It was SO HARD for me to learn how to breathe in the water.  But what helped is for me to just take it one length at a time.  Don't be afraid to slow WAY down (think, like a long run) relax, and then push yourself a little further each time.  ONE more length.  Oh, and make sure you are exhaling underwater continuously and not holding your breath.  I'm by no means a coach OR experienced in the pool, but it worked for me!

sjhodgson - 2010-12-26 5:14 PM So I'm going to be buying some tri training books but haven't yet.  If I'm looking to do my first oly this year, how long should I train for that specific race?  Also, I can swim for a long time if I can do the breast stroke but my ability to do freestyle for long is limited to about 75m.  Mostly because I run out of air not because of being tired.  I can do 75 m then 25m of breast stroke and then back to freestyle but I need that 25m to catch my breath.  

Should I be able to do any race that I enter freestyle the whole time or is it common practice to switch between the two strokes?

Any ideas on how to overcome this problem?  I breathe every stroke...well every other I guess it would be (always breath every time my left arm goes) so I'm not sure how else I can better my distance.  

Thanks for the help!  My advice (former swim instructor and lifeguard) to new swimmers is slow down and relax!  Easy breathing while your face is in the water, and then you have plenty of time to get a breath of air during your rotation. 

You can swim any stroke you want during a tri, and you'll see it all...front crawl, sidestroke, breastroke, dogpaddle, backstroke.  See if there are any adult group lessons.  This does a couple of things.  First, it gives you a reason (maybe even an appointment) to get to the pool.  Second, it gives you some feedback.  Swimming is all about technique, so learn good technique first. 

2010-12-26 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Great swimming advice.  I joined the local masters.  hadn't swum since high school swim team and then it was all about swim hard for 100 yards and die.  Not a good strategy in open water .  They did exactly what you suggest.  Slowed down at first focusing on breathing out completely (something I learned running.  Unless you breath out you can't fill your lungs.) Once that happened I could actually focus on improving stroke.   I do OK now.  Can swim as far as I've had to so far, up to 1.2 miles...stretching that a bit in 2011.  Not worried.  
2010-12-26 10:42 PM

Veteran
Hello all my fellow McFuzzie's! (Thanks, Mike for including me in your group)Wink

Here's a bit about me:  (You can call me Ree)

I'm on here for a few different reason's.  The main one is because my husband joined Mike's mentor group this past year and I watched him go from couch potato to an IRON MAN.  He started last December and did his first IRON MAN this past Aug.  Both Josh and I have made great friends through him being in Mike's mentor group.  The mentor group helped each and every person that was in it & is still helping them. 

When my husband completed his IRON MAN he said that he wanted me to do a race with him.  After watching him the past eight months and then through the race he really inspired me, so of course I told him yes.

The race that we are planning on doing is the Half IRON MAN in Racine Wisconsin this coming July.

Here's the issue's I currently have: 

1. I've never been a runner
2. I've never been a swimmer
3. I've never been a biker
4. I'm currently over weight

Here's what I'm doing to prepare for this race -

My huband & I have turned a room in our house into a personal gym.  We've bought a EFX Eliptical Trainer, a exercise bike, & we also have a tredmill & tv in there.  The tredmills not the best but will do. It's great if you can't make it to the gym.

I'm a former lifetime member of weight watchers & have gotten back into it, and have lost 11 pounds since Nov. 8th.  I have a membership at the YMCA to use the pool, and have taken my first swimming lesson. 

I currently take spinning classes at the Y, go to women on weights classes, & am taking swim lessons.  My husband bought me a sweet tri bike for me for my birthday.  I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will as soon as I can. I will start working with a tri coach the first week of January & my husband will be doing some working out along side me. 

I plan on having the weight off by April, know how to swim & be able to run longer & faster.  When the weather breaks I'll be able to work on the biking part.  Until then I will go to my spin classes & ride my exercise bike at home. For christmas I got a body bug, & a nice heart rate monitor. 

My run is currently at 4.5 for 2.0 miles.  I'll really be working on this over the upcoming months.

I've never done a lot of these things, but I believe I can, so I will!!!! Tongue out

2010-12-26 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3262387

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Ree - 2010-12-26 10:42 PM Hello all my fellow McFuzzie's! (Thanks, Mike for including me in your group)Wink

Here's a bit about me:  (You can call me Ree)

I'm on here for a few different reason's.  The main one is because my husband joined Mike's mentor group this past year and I watched him go from couch potato to an IRON MAN.  He started last December and did his first IRON MAN this past Aug.  Both Josh and I have made great friends through him being in Mike's mentor group.  The mentor group helped each and every person that was in it & is still helping them. 

When my husband completed his IRON MAN he said that he wanted me to do a race with him.  After watching him the past eight months and then through the race he really inspired me, so of course I told him yes.

Thanks Josh! 

The race that we are planning on doing is the Half IRON MAN in Racine Wisconsin this coming July.

Here's the issue's I currently have: 

1. I've never been a runner
2. I've never been a swimmer
3. I've never been a biker
4. I'm currently over weight

Here's the beauty of this: 

It doesn't matter what you have or haven't done in the past!  What matters is what you want to do in the future! 

Here's what I'm doing to prepare for this race -

My huband & I have turned a room in our house into a personal gym.  We've bought a EFX Eliptical Trainer, a exercise bike, & we also have a tredmill & tv in there.  The tredmills not the best but will do. It's great if you can't make it to the gym.

I'm a former lifetime member of weight watchers & have gotten back into it, and have lost 11 pounds since Nov. 8th.  I have a membership at the YMCA to use the pool, and have taken my first swimming lesson. 

I currently take spinning classes at the Y, go to women on weights classes, & am taking swim lessons.  My husband bought me a sweet tri bike for me for my birthday.  I haven't gotten to use it yet, but I will as soon as I can. I will start working with a tri coach the first week of January & my husband will be doing some working out along side me. 

I plan on having the weight off by April, know how to swim & be able to run longer & faster.  When the weather breaks I'll be able to work on the biking part.  Until then I will go to my spin classes & ride my exercise bike at home. For christmas I got a body bug, & a nice heart rate monitor. 

My run is currently at 4.5 for 2.0 miles.  I'll really be working on this over the upcoming months.

I've never done a lot of these things, but I believe I can, so I will!!!! Tongue out

Big goals, but with the right attitude and a good plan, very do-able. 

Since you're just starting out, pay close attention to how your body responds to the demands you're making.  You'll need to learn the difference between bone/joint pain (take some rest) and muscle fatigue/pain. 
2010-12-26 11:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Ree

I weighed 400 pounds in 2005 and never turned a pedal, hadn't swam or run in 40 years.   I weigh 200 now.  I swim as far as I want now, I ride a 12.5 time time at nearly 23 mph and I did my first half IM in Sept at a respectable 6 hours 8 mins.  You can do this. 
2010-12-27 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
PA
welp, today marks my first day of "knuckling under" to work off the couple lbs. i added leading up to Christmas.  hopefully this week i can lose these couple, then NEXT week continue on to lose the 10 more i need for spring time.
this means: getting to the pool consistently, riding the trainer more, and adding a long run each week.  i'll note progress in my logs.
as i've read so many times before, consistency is key.  something i've lacked since october....
hope everyone had a great weekend.  im looking forward to getting to know you all a little better in the next couple months.

2010-12-27 8:09 AM

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
Ok I'm ready , here I go with my first "what the heck am I doing?" type of question?!

My race is Sept 11th.  I was planning to use the 20 week BT beginner Ironman plan here. Today marks 37 weeks till the race, so that gives me 17 weeks to base train.   What sort of "base" should I aim for?  I've got my next full marathon Feb 19th, so running is not really an issue, as I can maintain that, but swimming and biking....I'm kinda clueless.  Any certain numbers I should aim for in the next 4 months? 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 
2010-12-27 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3262549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-27 8:09 AM Ok I'm ready , here I go with my first "what the heck am I doing?" type of question?!

My race is Sept 11th.  I was planning to use the 20 week BT beginner Ironman plan here. Today marks 37 weeks till the race, so that gives me 17 weeks to base train.   What sort of "base" should I aim for?  I've got my next full marathon Feb 19th, so running is not really an issue, as I can maintain that, but swimming and biking....I'm kinda clueless.  Any certain numbers I should aim for in the next 4 months? 

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

What race?  IM Wisconsin? 
2010-12-27 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3262556

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 9:14 AM
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-27 8:09 AM Ok I'm ready , here I go with my first "what the heck am I doing?" type of question?!

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

What race?  IM Wisconsin? 

Rev3 Cedar Point
2010-12-27 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I have friends who LOVED that race. 

I'm sure you will get great advice.  It's a BIG question.  You might check out this book at Amazon:

Going Long: Training for Ironman-Distance Triathlons (Ultrafit Multisport Training Series) [Paperback]

Joe Friel  (Author), Gordon Byrn  (Author)

Gotta go down to the treadmill and run.  See you later.

Ice.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-27 8:36 AM
2010-12-27 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Hello all! Sorry I haven't been around. My Christmas schedule is pretty hectic with my parents both living about 2 1/2 hours away and have had pretty much no time to sit down at the computer for anything longer than to check football scores/stats. Hope everyone had a good holiday, whatever it may be.

We were just hit with about 8 inches of snow here in Albany. I, since I'm a moron, still made the 25mile trek on terrible roads to work to find that there are about 15 of the 50 people here and nobody in my department. Needless to say, it may be a short work day for me. Fortunately for me, I work two jobs and get to work tonight as well!!! Yell Hopefully I'll be able to go home and catch a nice trainer ride!

Question for anyone bike savvy...My bike is on the trainer right now. When I pedal everything is fine. When I stop, my chain seems to be "catching" and my wheel doesn't just continue spinning like it normally does. The rear derailleur moves up and the chain ends up with a lot of slack and basically droops on the frame. The wheel will then start spinning the other way. Anyone know why this is like this?

Also, the old man hooked me up with a wheelbuilder.com disk for Christmas!

2010-12-27 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
I am looking for things to do on my days off since I really shouldn't be running every day.  Maria suggested both yoga and foam roller excercises.  Can anyone suggest some good dvd's that have both complete beginner workouts and more advanced.  (Hubby already has one of the Core foam rollers that I can use.

Also does anyone like one more than the other?  Or maybe do one on one off day and the other on the other off day to relieve boredom?
2010-12-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3262622

User image

Expert
PA
zee744 - 2010-12-27 9:56 AM Question for anyone bike savvy...My bike is on the trainer right now. When I pedal everything is fine. When I stop, my chain seems to be "catching" and my wheel doesn't just continue spinning like it normally does. The rear derailleur moves up and the chain ends up with a lot of slack and basically droops on the frame. The wheel will then start spinning the other way. Anyone know why this is like this?

is your trainer tightened up too much on the skewer, causing a bind?  i realy dont know about this one, i've not experienced that issue..
let me know what you think of the wheelbuilder though.  im considering one myself.
2010-12-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3262708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
wabash - 2010-12-27 10:58 AM
zee744 - 2010-12-27 9:56 AM Question for anyone bike savvy...My bike is on the trainer right now. When I pedal everything is fine. When I stop, my chain seems to be "catching" and my wheel doesn't just continue spinning like it normally does. The rear derailleur moves up and the chain ends up with a lot of slack and basically droops on the frame. The wheel will then start spinning the other way. Anyone know why this is like this?

is your trainer tightened up too much on the skewer, causing a bind?  i realy dont know about this one, i've not experienced that issue..
let me know what you think of the wheelbuilder though.  im considering one myself.

I'll try that out.

I've heard nothing but good things about wheelbuilder. Plus I can pimp out my cover how I'd like to :D
2010-12-27 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Hey McFuzz -

I know it says that this group is closed, but I was out of the country for the holidays and didn't have my laptop with me. Is it ok if I join your group? 
2010-12-27 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I use Wheelbuilder because I have a Power Tap hub on my wheel.  I like it.   Makes a bit of difference.   Anything to be sleeker

I use foam rollers everyday since my IT band injury.  I also got the Trigger Point collection of rollers so I'm using them on the calves and everywhere else I can think of.  Great tool.  Use them often.  I do stretching exercises that are yoga.  I got some from an ebook called Yoga for Cyclists at Roadbikerider.com.  18 poses that target the areas of particular concern.  I'm honestly more flexible than I have ever been.  Long way to go, but I take this seriously now since the injury.  Can't afford any more.  I also ordered a Training Peaks DVD called Yoga for Cyclists.  Waiting for it.

Also I have An Athletes Pocket Guide to Yoga a book and the Athletes Guide to Yoga, a DVD, both from Amazon.  I don't have time to fit in a class...these are the next best.   Learning as I go. ...

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-27 10:37 AM

2010-12-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3262769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
IceManScott - 2010-12-27 11:32 AM I use Wheelbuilder because I have a Power Tap hub on my wheel.  I like it.   Makes a bit of difference.   Anything to be sleeker

Question about the cover...I have Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. I'm not sure how my dad ordered them for SL's or other variations on Ksyriums. Not sure on the rim depth difference. How much, if any, of the rim should it cover?
2010-12-27 10:48 AM

User image

Elite
I thought I'd do a proper introduction as many of you have!

I am Kim, 40 (although I like to think of myself as 20 with twice the experience!)  I have a wonderful husband, Jerome,  who supports all my crazy training schedules and two daughters--Sydney, 11, and Olivia, 6, who just think I'm crazy!  Jerome and I both teach 8th grade (I guess I really am crazy!).  I teach English and Jerome teaches math and science.  Our classrooms are right across the hall from each other so I will blow him the occasional kiss, much to the gross out of our students!

I coach our high school cross country team in the fall and Jerome coaches high school softball in the spring.  We are always working with our athletes, however, after hours in the halls or in my classroom.  Currently most of my runners are now into wrestling season so I'm helping them stay conditioned over the two week break by holding Insanity workouts in my room.

I have been a runner for about 15 years now.  I've run dozens of half marathons (my most recent Las Vegas Rock-N-Roll Half dressed as a very short Elvis!) and I've also run 5 full marathons, my last back in 2005.  It was a terrible race, running into 30-40mph winds for 80% of the course.  I swore I'd never do a full again...but of course, now I'm thinking about doing another one!

I did my first sprint tri this past August and loved the training, loved the race and I'm now hooked.   In typical fashion I am making the leap from sprint to HIM on June 11 doing the IM Boise 70.3.  I will also be running the Salt Lake City Half Marathon in April.  I may try to find an Oly to squeeze in there too!

My goal is to toe the line at Boise in the best shape I've ever been in.  I'm always fighting those last 8-10 pounds and I'd love to see them GONE!  I want to have visible abs, too.  Laughing

I'm so looking forward to this journey and sharing knowledge and some laughs along the way!  Go McFuzzies!!!

2010-12-27 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3262760

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
kickitinok - 2010-12-27 10:28 AM Hey McFuzz -

I know it says that this group is closed, but I was out of the country for the holidays and didn't have my laptop with me. Is it ok if I join your group? 

Hope you were somewhere fun and exotic! 

I think the group can grow by one more person.  Go ahead and introduce yourself, catch up on reading the first 8 pages, and join the fun. 
2010-12-27 10:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

Hi McFuzzies!

I hope you are enjoying the holidays.  I thought I’d post a little more info about me as a way of introduction.

Personal Info:    My name is Enrique Pasos.  I’m 5’10”,  163 lbs, 42 yrs old next month.  I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have lived in California my entire life.  Born in LA, but moved up here in 1988, went to college, started a family, etc.  I’ve worked in the IT industry for almost 20 yrs.  I was using the Internet before there was such a thing as a website. I’m a tech-head at heart and love computers and playing video games (sometimes a little too much Smile  ).  I’m married for 13 yrs to a wonderful, supportive wife and have 3 boys (8, 6, and 4 yo).   Those little guys are my hugest motivation and thinking of them sometimes gets me to the finish line during the most trying of times.

My Story:  As I mentioned before, I am a McFuzz 2010 Mentee.  When I joined up on BT last year, I weighed 180 lbs and was primarily a runner.  I started running in 2008 after 20 yrs of relative inactivity.  I suffered for many years from some very bad chronic pains (neck, back, RSI, etc) which kept me from exercising as much as I wanted to.  In 2007, I discovered that I suffered from TMS/PPD and subsequently made a near miraculous recovery.  I then decided to reclaim my fitness and started to run.  Fast forward to last year and I had completed several 10K’s and a Marathon and was looking for the next “mountain”.  I decided a triathlon was it.  With only a pair of running shoes as far as equipment goes, I joined McFuzz and the other mentees and with no swimming background and only a little biking experience, I ended up completing 6 sprint tri’s in 2010 and dropped 17 lbs.  I watched some of my fellow mentees do Ironman distance races (Josh who posted above is one of them) and I knew I could do one also.  So 2011 is my “Ironman” year.  McFuzz said it would be ok to hang with the 2011 group.  Personally, even though I may never actually meet any of you, I like the camaraderie that is developed through these online groups.  It certainly helped me last year.

Current training: After the last Tri in September, I pretty much went into a “run” focused mode with bike cross-training and no swimming at all.  I’ve been training for the Disney Marathon weekend in Orlando which is just 2 weeks away now!  I’ll run a 5K, Half Marathon, and Full Marathon all on one weekend.  Wish me luck.  This is the biggest physical challenge so far for me.  I think I read that Buff is running the Half Marathon.  That’s awesome!!  Best of luck to you!

2011 Goals: Successfully complete Marathon Weekend mentioned above, complete the Vineman Full Triathlon, run a few other races, keep on living a healthy lifestyle.

It's nice to meet you all.

Enrique

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106