BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-07 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
If you just want to get a good sweat on before you go see the doctor, you can always do strength/core work.  I know that this has been discussed that it probably won't help your sbr, but it is still good to get the muscles working when you can't otherwise.  Just my suggestion.  

So last night, I put the saddle that I got for Christmas on my bike.  I got one of the Adamo saddles, and I must say that so far, I am VERY impressed (only a 30 minute trainer ride last night).  Seemed to be about a million times more comfy, especially in aero, than my old San Marco.  I am a big fan for the moment.  I'm going to go for a longer ride this weekend, probably tomorrow.  Let me tell you...  3 weeks off, and a bit of a cold, really do things to your endurance and cardio capacity.  I was exhausted!  I can't wait to get back into it now!  Need to build my endurance back up, though I think it should come fairly quickly. 

2011-01-07 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I like rowing if s/b'ing is out. Or just swimming a bunch! Yoga/core work is another option like Pete said.

Hope it is just bruised up and nothing serious :/
2011-01-07 8:03 PM

Veteran
Heh Christina- good luck with the knee- smart idea to go and see the dr. I had lots of knee issues - with previous surgery + 25 yrs ago- anyway- was having problems with knee pain- saw an amazing physiotherapist- who did a full assessment- and provided me with rehab and prehab exercises- that I need to do faithfully. Muscle imbalances. Anyway- now having prob with lower back pain- ok with S/B/R- not so great with sitting/standing- probably "mechanical"...... ya ya ya- what a drag!!!

Happy weekend everyone- I am so excited- am participating in a tri trng day Sun with my coach and 25 other tri geeks!!!!
2011-01-07 8:37 PM

User image

South Florida

X3 on the core work. The core can always use some attention.

I had an awesome awesome run today. Granted is was only 3.2 miles. It's my 3rd run in my DS Trainers. Now the last time i was in a stability shoe i had some serious IT band issues. But after trying 5 different shoes over the last year, i really like them ** Fingers Crossed**

2011-01-07 8:49 PM

Regular
Had my first trainer ride and first workout since I had my surgery on Monday. It. was. awesome!  Maybe it's because it was the first time I've gotten to ride my new bike, but oh well. I ended up getting the cycleops fluid2 trainer.

What is everyones avg mph while on the road, and on their trainer? My ride seemed like it was a little fast, especially for not having much cycling experience.  I was averaging 23.2mph over an hour.
2011-01-07 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3285855

User image

New user
nvalaitis - 2011-01-07 9:37 AM

I had an awesome awesome run today. Granted is was only 3.2 miles. It's my 3rd run in my DS Trainers. Now the last time i was in a stability shoe i had some serious IT band issues. But after trying 5 different shoes over the last year, i really like them ** Fingers Crossed**

I feel the same way about my DS Racers. I use them for everything now even playing racquetball. I don't know why I am trying the Saucony Fast twitch 4's, but they just felt even more amazing. It sucks that there is no local running shop that has them so I can do a quick exchange if it doesn't turn out to be better once I get a few miles in. 

Got a quick fit at the bike store today. Absolutely amazing service once again. Found out that my Right leg has some bad pronantion with the laser equipment :/. But he referred me to a major at my base to see about getting some orthodics. Small world, He was the guy that did a nutrition class and marathon training class for new runners. Also taught me some basics on efficient swimming. Weird how the running store never saw that, but I also read that forefoot strikers don't really pronate. Anyway bike shop stayed way after hours getting the store bike fit so I can come back on sunday and test ride the bike. Took a bunch of measurements and educated me a bit on the stack and reach. Got all the measurements and tested the data on a Tri bike. Was a perfect match. We then talked more about which bike manufacturers frames will fit me. Basically told me which frames will be good for my body structure and which will not work at all. I then mentioned about testing a road bike with clip ons. Although it being an hour past closing, he said he will have a bike set up with clip ons for sunday when I come to test out both bikes. 

I feel that I don't need to test ride anymore bikes. He pretty much assured me that any of the bikes he stated would fit me best. One being the Felt B16 which I have been hoping would be the right fit. Ive ridden the Felt B16 briefly in the past and it felt great. Should I still try to go shop around and try out the actual bikes that would fit my structure or is it safe just to trust the data. I'm pretty much sold on the Felt as far as price goes, but just need to decide If I want a full on tri bike or a road bike set with Clip ons.  

2011-01-07 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3285962

User image

South Florida

Have you ever tried the Fast Twitch's on? I tried them on after the DS Trainers. I will say they felt very flexible, some type of drainage holes in the soles, verty light weight. I might buy them in the future and use htem for speed work and Sprint Tri's

Edited by nvalaitis 2011-01-07 9:56 PM
2011-01-08 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Andr3w - 2011-01-07 8:46 PM

just need to decide If I want a full on tri bike or a road bike set with Clip ons.  

If it's to be your one and only bike-go roadie.  More versatile and the performance difference will be negligible.  Just my .02
2011-01-09 4:39 AM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
okay, its been a real lame week on the training what with a work trip all week, long hours and no gym at hotel to use coupled with sub zero temps and a dose of man flu picked up on the plane i think i will write this off and kick off again from today. work will be a bit more settled this week and plan to get a ride in this afternoon no matter how cold. its a bright blue sky today ( albeit freezing out)
monday night is a planned bike and run at gym 
Tuesday will be a swim session
Wednesday will be running
thursday will be swim
friday rest
saturday bike ride

aiming for 4 hours worth this week as a minimum to kick start. Legs feeling ok after yesterdays bike sprint, although this afternoons ride will let me know for sure

hope your all good and well.
2011-01-09 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
10 minute warm up, then do 20 second strides* before returning to RPE 3 pace. Repeat strides every 5 minute until end of run.

Need some help here what are 20 seconds strides. How do I set up my RPE zones, there is a chart on the bottom of the description of the 1/2 training plan do I just follow that? 
2011-01-09 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I feel the same way about my DS Racers. I use them for everything now even playing racquetball. I don't know why I am trying the Saucony Fast twitch 4's, but they just felt even more amazing. It sucks that there is no local running shop that has them so I can do a quick exchange if it doesn't turn out to be better once I get a few miles in. 

Got a quick fit at the bike store today. Absolutely amazing service once again. Found out that my Right leg has some bad pronantion with the laser equipment :/. But he referred me to a major at my base to see about getting some orthodics. Small world, He was the guy that did a nutrition class and marathon training class for new runners. Also taught me some basics on efficient swimming. Weird how the running store never saw that, but I also read that forefoot strikers don't really pronate. Anyway bike shop stayed way after hours getting the store bike fit so I can come back on sunday and test ride the bike. Took a bunch of measurements and educated me a bit on the stack and reach. Got all the measurements and tested the data on a Tri bike. Was a perfect match. We then talked more about which bike manufacturers frames will fit me. Basically told me which frames will be good for my body structure and which will not work at all. I then mentioned about testing a road bike with clip ons. Although it being an hour past closing, he said he will have a bike set up with clip ons for sunday when I come to test out both bikes. 

I feel that I don't need to test ride anymore bikes. He pretty much assured me that any of the bikes he stated would fit me best. One being the Felt B16 which I have been hoping would be the right fit. Ive ridden the Felt B16 briefly in the past and it felt great. Should I still try to go shop around and try out the actual bikes that would fit my structure or is it safe just to trust the data. I'm pretty much sold on the Felt as far as price goes, but just need to decide If I want a full on tri bike or a road bike set with Clip ons.  

Definitely worth it to try several other bikes.  The small diference in bikes can make a world of difference in relation to power output.  Most likely since you have tested the B16 before, it will work great, but, you never know and for what we pay for bikes, it's worth the investment in time up front.  Congrats on the fitting, sounds like you have a good LBS there.  Enjoy.

2011-01-09 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3287902

User image

Bronze member
cpsdad - 2011-01-09 10:05 AM 10 minute warm up, then do 20 second strides* before returning to RPE 3 pace. Repeat strides every 5 minute until end of run.

Need some help here what are 20 seconds strides. How do I set up my RPE zones, there is a chart on the bottom of the description of the 1/2 training plan do I just follow that? 

This is from a BT article that I find through my training plan:

Strides/Pickups - Short repeats at a 5K pace with recovery in-between.  Each 'repeat/stride' should be about 20-30 seconds long and allow for a full recovery in between.  Make sure you are properly warmed up-at least 10 minutes before the first.  You are looking to get in about 45 left OR right foot strikes per 30".  Multiply by 'two' for your RPM.  So 45 left foot strikes per 30 seconds will equal 90 RPM, a running cadence that is the most efficient.  You will typically be doing 4-10 repeats of 20-30" strides with a full recovery between sets (depending on the particular workout) by walking back to the starting point. 

Over time with these workouts, you will see your cadence quicken, you will be lighter on your feet, and your run times will improve.
2011-01-09 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3288350

User image

Bronze member
trigal38 - 2011-01-09 3:21 PM
cpsdad - 2011-01-09 10:05 AM 10 minute warm up, then do 20 second strides* before returning to RPE 3 pace. Repeat strides every 5 minute until end of run.

This is from a BT article that I find through my training plan:

Strides/Pickups - Short repeats at a 5K pace with recovery in-between.  Each 'repeat/stride' should be about 20-30 seconds long and allow for a full recovery in between.  Make sure you are properly warmed up-at least 10 minutes before the first.  You are looking to get in about 45 left OR right foot strikes per 30".  Multiply by 'two' for your RPM.  So 45 left foot strikes per 30 seconds will equal 90 RPM, a running cadence that is the most efficient.  You will typically be doing 4-10 repeats of 20-30" strides with a full recovery between sets (depending on the particular workout) by walking back to the starting point. 

Over time with these workouts, you will see your cadence quicken, you will be lighter on your feet, and your run times will improve.

Found this too but it might be the same thing chart you already have. Just in case it helps:

RPE/HR Zone Chart

Z1 - Zone 1 or Recovery
Z2 - Zone 2 or Extensive endurance
Z3 - Zone 3 or Intensive endurance/muscular endurance
Z4 - Zone 4 or Sub-threshold
Z5a - Zone 5a or Threshold
Z5b- Zone 5b or Super-threshold
Z5c- Zone 5b or VO2 Max

RPE Zone HR ZoneDescription
0 Z1Complete Rest
1 Z1Very easy; light walking
2 Z1Very easy; light walking
3 Z1Very easy; walking
4 Z1Still easy, maybe starting to sweat
5 Z2Starting to work just a little and you can feel your HR rise
6 Z2 UpperWorking but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences
7 Z3Strong effort; breathing labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.
8 Z4Olympic Distance Race Pace for MOP to FOP
9 Z510k effort – very hard
10 Z5+Z5+ = 5k effort and Z5++ = cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two. (almost maximal effort)

2011-01-09 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3285875

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
acgibby - 2011-01-07 9:49 PM Had my first trainer ride and first workout since I had my surgery on Monday. It. was. awesome!  Maybe it's because it was the first time I've gotten to ride my new bike, but oh well. I ended up getting the cycleops fluid2 trainer.

What is everyones avg mph while on the road, and on their trainer? My ride seemed like it was a little fast, especially for not having much cycling experience.  I was averaging 23.2mph over an hour.

Congrats on being back at it!

Trying to compare trainer to road will drive you insane. There's just so much that can throw them off. For example I average around 18-20 mph on my KKinetic, max (30+) on my rollers, and somewhere between that on the road depending on the distance.

All that's really important is having that number to compare all other rides on the same trainer to.
2011-01-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3288241

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
velocomp - 2011-01-09 3:03 PM

Definitely worth it to try several other bikes.  The small diference in bikes can make a world of difference in relation to power output.  Most likely since you have tested the B16 before, it will work great, but, you never know and for what we pay for bikes, it's worth the investment in time up front.  Congrats on the fitting, sounds like you have a good LBS there.  Enjoy.

I agree with this. Try some other stuff too just to be sure. That said, the B series is a great set of bikes.

Tri bike or Road bike... Personally, I'm about 4-5mph faster on my tri bike in a time trial... so it's a pretty huge gap. My position is very aggressive though. I'd say that if triathlon/tt'ing is what you are most interested in...go for a tri bike. If you plan to do a lot of group rides, fun rides, crits, etc... go with a roadie. Of course, the correct number of bikes to own is easily identified using this simple equation... where N is the number of bikes you own.

N+1=N
2011-01-09 9:35 PM

User image

yorba linda
Hey everyone sorry ive been a little MIA due to work and other ish.
Looks like we have a good group this year and look forward to bouncing some questions off you guys/girls.
this is my second year doing the tri thing and am very excited for it. i got a couple misc races this year and my A race being Vineman HIM.

I do have a question about running, i am looking through my training plan and i am goingto need some long runs on days that i work.  well due to my work schedule and my gym hours at the office i am able to work out from 6-7pm and then from 8-9pm would it be ok to run 2 30-45 min runs that close together, or should i have a longer rest inbetween?

2011-01-09 10:58 PM
in reply to: #3288936

User image

New user
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-09 9:53 AM
velocomp - 2011-01-09 3:03 PM

I agree with this. Try some other stuff too just to be sure. That said, the B series is a great set of bikes.

Tri bike or Road bike... Personally, I'm about 4-5mph faster on my tri bike in a time trial... so it's a pretty huge gap. My position is very aggressive though. I'd say that if triathlon/tt'ing is what you are most interested in...go for a tri bike. If you plan to do a lot of group rides, fun rides, crits, etc... go with a roadie. Of course, the correct number of bikes to own is easily identified using this simple equation... where N is the number of bikes you own.

N+1=N

Wow. Didn't think it could be that significant. Triathlons are the main purpose for the bike. Then there are the fun rides with friends, but thats probably about it. Was thinking about getting in on some group rides to learn some riding techniques. Trying both bikes I was able to get in a comfortable position with both bikes. The only problem with the road bike was the missing forward seat tube and tri seat. If the seat were to be a little more forward, it would have been a good fit. Wish there was something to measure speeds on both bikes, but right now the difference didn't feel like much. Slightly leaning towards a road bike with clip ons, but the shifting is kind of irritating. Probably just need used to it. The B16 will also be on back order for a month, so that is a bummer.

Also went snowboarding for the first time of the season. Mountains are much different here than in California, but still had fun. Did a full 8 hours of riding, but 3 or so was to teaching some new people how to snowboard. Breakfast was some low calorie egg white sandwich on flat bread from dunkin donuts. lunch had a few slices of cheese pizza and nothing for dinner. Water drank throughout the day.

Sunday: Woke up around noon. Thought I would be sore from snowboarding, but was perfectly fine. Went straight to the bike store and tested out the Road bike with clip ons and the Tri bike for about 3 hours. Legs felt great as opposed to riding around in the hybrid bike. Had the urge to go on a trail run, but missed the exit before the freeway and didn't have water so I continued home. Had Lunch which was brown rice, baked fish, and mixed vegetables. Also decided to try some lemon juice in the mixed vegetables and fish. Made the meal much more enjoyable to eat. Dinner was a tuna salad sandwich. Again water throughout the day. I also have the  GNC Sport multi vitamin and Fish oil that I take with my first meal of the day. Swimming shall start shortly. Also got voluntold to be a physical training leader, so gotta find a way to mix my training into that. Probably will make that an off day.  
2011-01-10 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Happy Monday, everyone!  Up early to get a spin in with my club.  High RPM set.  Not what I like doing, but I did it, and didn't puke, which is a plus...

When it comes to road vs tri bike...  I don't have a roadie, I went full tri.  I had no intention of doing any group riding or crits or anything like that.  I was going to use it to do tris, and train for tris.  That was my thought process.  I do, though, also want to add a roadie to my stable of 1.  

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of cycling clubs and groups will not allow aero bars to be part of their rides.  Something to look into if you are planning on joining anything.

Swim tonight.  Training season is upon us!  Keep it up, everyone!

Edited by LockOut 2011-01-10 8:38 AM
2011-01-10 4:29 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Hope all had a nice weekend...

Daughter turned 9 on Sunday so I've got some cake I need to burn off tonight.  Plan on running after work and (maybe) swim after Oregon beats up on Auburn. 
 GO DUCKS!
2011-01-10 4:40 PM

User image

Bronze member
Sounds like everyone is busy training! Just finished my first lactate threshold test. This was on my bike. I'm not sure that I did it correctly. Was I supposed to wear the hear rate monitor for the entire workout or take it off after the 30 min test? I had it on while I was cooling down too. Yuck, I don't want to do that again! 
2011-01-10 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3290919

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
jeffnboise - 2011-01-10 4:29 PM Hope all had a nice weekend...

Daughter turned 9 on Sunday so I've got some cake I need to burn off tonight.  Plan on running after work and (maybe) swim after Oregon beats up on Auburn. 
 GO DUCKS!

My son turned 15 on Sunday, had some cake as well but ran it off this morning.

2011-01-10 8:26 PM
in reply to: #3289481

User image

New user
LockOut - 2011-01-09 9:37 PM Happy Monday, everyone!  Up early to get a spin in with my club.  High RPM set.  Not what I like doing, but I did it, and didn't puke, which is a plus...

When it comes to road vs tri bike...  I don't have a roadie, I went full tri.  I had no intention of doing any group riding or crits or anything like that.  I was going to use it to do tris, and train for tris.  That was my thought process.  I do, though, also want to add a roadie to my stable of 1.  

Keep in mind, though, that a lot of cycling clubs and groups will not allow aero bars to be part of their rides.  Something to look into if you are planning on joining anything.

Swim tonight.  Training season is upon us!  Keep it up, everyone!

If that is the case, there is no need for a road bike. Also haven't really looked into bike groups, but are these normally free or is there normally some sort of membership 
2011-01-10 10:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
I only have a roadie, which I have clip on aerobars for, and I really enjoy it. It's great to get out with fellow cyclists and go riding. I'm really the only one who competes in tris so it has been nice to have the road bike to ride with others.  There are many groups that are free to ride with, your local LBS would be a great place to start.  I'm sure there are groups that require a membership, but you can probably find other people that are just looking for someone to ride with.

Went to the orthopedist today. I guess I have a torn meniscus. I'll be getting an MRI on Wednesday and will find out more that afternoon from the doc.  Hopefully it's just the meniscus! Looks like I'll be out of commission for a bit. 
2011-01-11 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

I have a tri bike and a roadie.  Bought the roadie first to replace an old bike.  This was prior to fully embracing the tri lifestyle.  Then bought a tri bike once I felt I would get the proper use of it.  Sometimes I wonder if I really need it, but it gets plenty of use, even more than the roadie.  I had grand dreams of doing group rides, but don't really have time with all the Tri training.  Either choice you make will be a good one.  Just buy it and ride lots.

2011-01-11 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

This is day two of me being sick.  (I never get sick!!!)  Just hacking and coughing.  Maybe the run in the blizzard after swimming was a bad idea.   Trying to take it easy for a day or two.  Figure this is just my body telling me to slow down. Won't hurt anything to take a few days off.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22