BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-10 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3439070

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed
I put it into an excel calendar--will that work?

2011-04-10 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3439216

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Won't let me upload...will try tomorrow

Edited by ewengler 2011-04-10 10:54 PM

Attachments
----------------
bethsraces.xls (61KB - 7 downloads)
2011-04-10 10:52 PM
in reply to: #3437676

User image

Well that seems like quite a day congratulations ! I think I would not be able to get out of bed tomorrow if I tried that but I know it won't always be that way. It's so great to see people out there doing it my respect to you! Have a verybgood sleep I'm sure that won't be a problem . K
2011-04-10 11:10 PM
in reply to: #3437551

User image

I did it went outside. Couldn't have been windier or hotter. Went 5 miles instead of seven. I think you meant to say 80 to 160 percent higher . Anyhow I did it. And I did it with 8 ounces of water. Tomorrow outside for run my fav, and still supposed to start swimming, just don't really know where to start with that. Hope you all had challenging and rewarding days. K
2011-04-11 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3439111

User image

Great work on the bike.  When you're in the pool, just try to take one element of the video to work on each time you go.  You might need to work on that piece of the stroke for a week or two until it becomes solid and you can do it without focus (unconciously competent) then move on to another element.  I suggest the focus on the timing of your hands the catch and the pull.  Many triathletes don't kick at all, to save the legs for later.
2011-04-11 7:04 AM
in reply to: #3439233

User image

You can email it to me same as my handle at gmail

2011-04-11 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3439181

User image

HR is totally relative to your zones and your LT.  You can safely hold high Z3 or low Z4 without getting into LT.  I don't so much try to drive race pace off of HR though.  Race pace should really be driven by your 5k race pace. 

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

Here is a HR calculator that will put you close for running, note, it does not apply to biking and a well trained individual's ranges will be a bit higher for z3 and z4.

http://www.sarkproducts.com/targetzonecalculator.htm

2011-04-11 8:30 AM
in reply to: #3436464

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Open
Oh my!  You guys were busy at your computers this weekend.  Catching up...
2011-04-11 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3438845

I went for swim on Saturday and for the first time I had incredible cramps in my legs and my toes.  I stopped after 1700 yards because I was just dragging one leg.  Every time I tried to kick it cramped again.  After reading your post I will keep swimming next time. I thought I needed to eat more bananas for the potassium.  The lifeguard was watching me suspiciously and thinking he was in for some excitment since it looked like I was going under at any moment. 

I am swimming again today.  I think swimming is a good way to burn a lot of calories without a lot of wear and tear on the body (well, less anyway).

2011-04-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3439529

User image

About Swimming:

1.  It is the lowest calorie burn DURING the activity, but it is a full body resistance workout and acts like strength training in that you burn more calories all day. The advantage it has over actual weight strength training is that you do not shred the muscles in swimming, so you don't have the down time requirements between.

2.  When legs are cramping, grab a pull bouy.  It's the same position you will swim in with a wetsuit if you wear one.  Just do pull, let the cramps subside, and move on.  Work through them, it's not all that abnormal.  The toe/calf ones are incredibly common in males and you just keep swimming.

3.  For your overall fitness, much though I would rather be on the bike or running, swimming is the best.  If you don't believe me, try missing a week or two of it and run and bike your butt off.  You'll feel like hell in the pool, no matter how fit you are.

I'm off to put in my 90 on the bike.  Zone 3 work today for 45 minutes of it, so I'm jacked, that means speed, even in the 20+ mph winds this morning.  Then it's off to the pool for an hour of masters!  Back in action this week!

2011-04-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3439249

User image

Great job.  Sounds like progress to me.

2011-04-11 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3438655

Mark,  Any suggestions on how to keep track of carbs, protein and lean fats?  There are multiple nutrition trackers on the web, BT has one. It seems like a lot on work to keep track of but is it worth it? Ellen
2011-04-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3439854

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Zam92 - 2011-04-11 8:49 AM Mark,  Any suggestions on how to keep track of carbs, protein and lean fats?  There are multiple nutrition trackers on the web, BT has one. It seems like a lot on work to keep track of but is it worth it? Ellen

i used fitnesspal for about a week.  it was an app on my iphone but you can google it on the internet and get it on your comp.  I only used it for about 2 weeks max.  I measured out my servings and recorded everything.  Those two weeks opened my eyes to what a real "serving" is and gave me a rough idea of what i could eat in a day given the amount of exercise i was getting.  After that it was just common sense and i didn't feel the need to record everything.

best of luck

2011-04-11 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3439896

User image

I use training peaks to do mine when I'm being good.  Once you put in the values you have a library.  To be honest, I have a very boring diet and eat mostly the same things every day, so a week or two of entering in values was good.  I think the calorie count is very important too, probably most important overall.  That's easier to track.  Whatever you choose, it will open your eyes to calories and portion sizes.  It's less than you think to stay properly fueled, just sometimes leaves you hungry.  Never easy.  If you read any of Matt Fitzgerald's books, he is big on assigning a total quality score to your foods/diet, which simplifies things a bit.  You'd probably be surprised how poor your score would be if you have not looked at already.  His books on weight for endurance athletes are worth a read.
2011-04-11 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

I seriously think I am in over my head but there is no turning back now.  I just did 2miles outside and feel ok, but it was harder than inside as well.  I am thinking I did no training at all the last two mths in the gym, what's up?  I swim for 1st time this afternoon, I think I am supposed to do 700yds, I will let you all know how I did.  Have a great day all, Kimberly
2011-04-11 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3437078

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Subject: RE: Key Workouts This Weekend

mwp1054 - 2011-04-08 6:59 PM ...strive for a bit higher base cadence.  85 would be solid, 80 at minimum.  Generally higher cadence is efficient and allows you to go faster with less strain, leaving you in better shape for the run.  High cadence on bike leads to high run cadence too.  If you can hold 90+ easily, even better.  Play with it some on your workout tomorrow and see how it feels.  If you go a little faster with a little less gear you'll likely feel better.

Mark, I went out for a windy/rainy 100 minute ride and tried to dial in a base cadence.  I got in an easy gear and set a pace that was comfortable to hold almost indefinitely.  Every few minutes I would look down at the Garmin and the majority of the time my cadence was 92, with several times in the 95 to 105 range - my average for the 25.5 mile ride was 93 rpm.

You are so right about the higher bike cadence leading to a higher run cadence.  After the ride, I went for a short 1 mile run just to acclimate the legs.  Usually when I do this, I do about a 11:30 pace for the first half mile.  This time it felt the same, like I was doing an 11+ pace, but I was amazed when I looked at the Garmin and my pace was 9:10.  My legs felt like crap but they sort of automatically settled in at close to T Pace.

2011-04-11 12:22 PM
in reply to: #3439553

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX
mwp1054 - 2011-04-11 8:51 AM

About Swimming:

1.  It is the lowest calorie burn DURING the activity, but it is a full body resistance workout and acts like strength training in that you burn more calories all day. The advantage it has over actual weight strength training is that you do not shred the muscles in swimming, so you don't have the down time requirements between.

I'm off to put in my 90 on the bike.  Zone 3 work today for 45 minutes of it, so I'm jacked, that means speed, even in the 20+ mph winds this morning.  Then it's off to the pool for an hour of masters!  Back in action this week!

I didn't know that about swimming.  I had huge suspicions on the calorie burn part but no idea on the rest.  You are an ANIMAL.  I'm guessing that is 90 miles, not KM?  AND 45 min in Z3?  Wow!  Are you working today?  Sounds like a full one to me. 

This week I am going to dedicate to finding a PT.  I think I got a lead on one, now I need to make contact.  I managed to tweak a new muscle and running is out this week (so it will be in the sea instead of on land).  This is the same one I tweaked in the triathlon and it is totally bike-related instead of run related (which is progress, believe it or not).  I was shocked at how fresh my quads were today on the ride (60km - 36 m) after yesterday's rest day.  Unfortunately I couldn't exploit them totally but it was nice to know they were there just waiting.  This week I focus on getting back in the water and nailing down a PT.  I think I'm also going to lay down far too many pesos and actually sign up for Coz this fall.  Putting the money in the ring.  Yikes.

2011-04-11 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

Regular

Kim

Keep your head up, some days workouts are just harder for some reason. Especially when you change environments. When I first started running I did run outside 100 percent of the time, but where I ran had no hills. My first race event had a baby hill,... Midway up the hill I freaked, finished, but was certainly hill-wary for a bit after that.. And that's not changing from inside to out..

It's more than likely just a slight change that your body will adapt to. (as long as you've been training similar distances in the gym?) The human Bod' is pretty amazing. Trust it.

Keep at it, and if you need to build some more base before you resume your current training, then so be it. You're out and moving, and will get there. Better to train smart and avoid injury then to rush into distances you're bod's not ready for and be out for months.

Good Luck and have fun with the swim today!

2011-04-11 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3440144

User image

Regular
Minnesota

Kim,

I am with Tiana.  You will get used to training outside, just take it slow. Because I live in Minnesota, much of my training has been inside.  I noticed the same thing you did when I first started running outside vs the treadmill--I was slower, fatigued faster and I also got more side stitches and I was thirstier!  It just takes time to adjust to the differences. Ditto with the bike since you have to deal with the wind and other elements, clipping in and out of cleats, traffic etc.  And swimming in open water is different from swimming in a pool--no wall to rest on. Just take it slow--many people do laps in the lake--swimming a reasonable distance out (or around buoys) and turning around and swimming back. It takes time to get acclimated, but you will if you keep at it. Good luck!

2011-04-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3440125

User image

90 Minutes not miles!!!  I'd love to have the time to do 90 miles today, but in this wind here it would have been miserable.  I got about 28 miles in for my 90 minutes, but half of that was in high zone 1, low zone 2.  My mph average was 23.5 for the Z3 work with just my training wheels and a good aero position keeping the wind as cross as possible so as not to aid or hinder.  The second interval I just could not stay in Z3, kept slipping to z2 in my hardest gear....but, my new crank arrived today with power meter, so I"m hoping to have it on tomorrow.  It's a standard instead of compact, so with the 54/39  instead of 50/34 chainrings I gain a lot more speed at top end and will be a bit harder to push.
2011-04-11 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3439854

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Holy cow, busy weekend on this thread!

I came down with a chest cold this weekend, which put a snag in my training. Sometimes my colds can last for 2 weeks, so I'm trying hard to cut this one short with lots of rest, fluids, vitamins, echinacea, etc. I did my short run on Saturday and my long run this morning, but skipped my long bike on Sunday. Got 11 hours of sleep both Friday night & Saturday night, and 10 hours last night. I *think* the cold is moving up into my head, which would be preferable.

What is everyone's take on powering through workouts when you're sick? Since my race is a Sprint, I'm not *too* worried, but at the same time, I missed 3 weeks of training during the first month because I was hospitalized, so I'm already on borrowed time a bit and don't want to miss anymore workouts!

2011-04-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3440225

User image

The axiom goes, if it's above the neck you can train.  If it's below you should shut down.  It depends on how severe and how intense your workouts are.  I would suggest at a minimum you dial it down a notch or two.  You're only prolonging the sickness really.
2011-04-11 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3439972

User image

Kim,

This is VERY NORMAL.  Don't get discouraged.  Your move outdoors introduces different muscles into the same exercises.  You spend more time propelling your body forward outdoors than you do on the dreadmill.  The same goes for the bike.  It will be incredibly different as you introduce the concept of drag into the equation.  Even if there was no wind, your body and bike create drag.  Hence the reason fit and position are so important on the bike.  With running, you are also spending more time keeping yourself upright when outdoors, requiring a lot of core strength that you don't always use on the dread. 

It will pick up quickly as you've built the cardio base.  You'll get the muscles properly tuned and be right where you thought you were in a week or two.  You should still do one workout indoors 3x week, and that is core strength, it will help all three disciplines.

I'm going to do a full post on building distance.  My hunch is that many are doing it the wrong way.  I used to...until I was taught how to do it right.  I've now ramped my mother up from couch to her first 5k next Sunday in about 8 weeks.  She's never been a runner before and we got her to go the distance.  I expect she'll finish in about 35 minutes, which is great for a 58 year old first timer!

2011-04-11 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3440225

User image

CO
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-11 1:57 PM

Holy cow, busy weekend on this thread!

I came down with a chest cold this weekend, which put a snag in my training. Sometimes my colds can last for 2 weeks, so I'm trying hard to cut this one short with lots of rest, fluids, vitamins, echinacea, etc. I did my short run on Saturday and my long run this morning, but skipped my long bike on Sunday. Got 11 hours of sleep both Friday night & Saturday night, and 10 hours last night. I *think* the cold is moving up into my head, which would be preferable.

What is everyone's take on powering through workouts when you're sick? Since my race is a Sprint, I'm not *too* worried, but at the same time, I missed 3 weeks of training during the first month because I was hospitalized, so I'm already on borrowed time a bit and don't want to miss anymore workouts!

QueerDrummer- I'll be curious how people respond to your question about powering through a cold.  My husband is firmly of the mind that a good workout at the beginning of a cold 'clears it out'.  However every single time he's convinced me to exercise when I have a cold starting up, I come back feeling absolutely terrible and within a day my cold shifts from light to something more serious.  This happened for the third time a couple of months ago, and I have finally become wise.  Next time I get a cold, I'm taking a day or two off.

However, what I've generally heard is that exercising with a head cold is ok, and can even be a good thing.  Exercising with a chest cold, however, should be avoided.

2011-04-11 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3439912

I actually have a copy of "Racing Weight" ( by Matt Fitzgerald . I have glanced through it but I guess I should see what he has to say from start to fiinish. 

I probably don't want to know.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30