General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-06-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4250355

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread

does anybody know about how many aid stations are on the bike course or about how far apart they are?

what about the run course? every mile like a full ironman?

2012-06-07 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4250431

User image

New user
Kenosha
ngarmon - 2012-06-07 3:10 PM

does anybody know about how many aid stations are on the bike course or about how far apart they are?

what about the run course? every mile like a full ironman?

If they use the same setup as last year, there will be 3 aid stations on the bike. Aid stations 1 & 2 are accessible in both directions (1 - about 5 and 50) (2nd aid station about 17 and 38). Aid station 3 is at about the 33 mile mark.

For the run there are three that are accessible in both directions. The run is 2 loops, so basically every mile.

Along the run, the residents will be out in force cheering everyone on. They will have sprinklers and hoses set up for anyone that wants to cool off.

Cyndi
2012-06-07 3:42 PM
in reply to: #3916289

User image

Wisconsin

Also if you don't want to add another cage to your bike and don't have the ability to keep another bottle in your shirt... the volunteers were great last year.  If you pulled off they asked if you wanted to take a bottle or they would fill your bottles for you.  Very helpful volunteers!!!! 

We rode the West part of the route this past weekend and thought I'd give a heads up on something I thought helpful.  On Hwy V when you are heading North (mile 25 on the map) there are rumble strips before that intersection, about 3.  You can avoid them if you stay to the right along the shoulder. Just make a mental note 

2012-06-07 3:53 PM
in reply to: #4250501

User image

New user

good info, thanks!

its water and powerbar preform too i suppose?

i see you recently organized a couple OWS. anyone wanna try and do one the weekends of the 23rd and the 30th?

Edited by ngarmon 2012-06-07 3:56 PM
2012-06-07 4:20 PM

User image

Wisconsin

Water and the perform drink were offered on both the run and bike.  The run also had cola and a variety of fuel. 

We can definately do an OWS either or both of those weekends.  Someone was also organizing a ride out on the course I think the 30th?  Cyndi do you remember? 

2012-06-07 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4250610

User image

New user
Kenosha
gordon_mom - 2012-06-07 4:20 PM

Someone was also organizing a ride out on the course I think the 30th?  Cyndi do you remember? 

yeah...June 30th, Tri Wisconsin was planning to ride the route.

Cyndi

2012-06-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4250623

User image

New user

awesome, im in for both weekends if anyone else wants to jump in.

2012-06-09 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4251920

User image

New user
Kenosha
Great. We will b in touch for a time as we get closer. We are at the Kansas 70.3 with lake michigan type chop. It'll be a no wetsuit race here tomorrow with water temps over 76 and air temps at 90.
2012-06-09 7:24 PM

User image

New user

Deerfield
Thanks for the tips and info.  I'm trying to get a few others from my group to head up for the ride on the 30th.  Was thinking of doing a swim after lunch while we are in the area.  If there's a group heading over that way after the ride, would be interested in joining in.
2012-06-11 8:15 AM

User image

I'm  great hand wringer that likes to plan every detail.  I had a few of questions. 1. How far is the transition to the Radisson?  I've tried mapquesting, but it's not entirely clear to me.  2.  I understand that it's ~ a mile walk to the swim start - do you wear shoes and leave them at the swim start?  3.  Does you wave walk as a group to the swim start, or do you just show up at the start before your wave starts? 

I'm sure I'll have more, and hopefully these will help others!Laughing 

2012-06-11 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4254928

User image

New user
Philadelphia

Red,

I have nothing to add (sorry I from Philly but,  I too like race minutia. Looking forward to any and all info.

Also, yea to recovery week if you are following the BT freebee plan! 

2012-06-11 1:46 PM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
myred86 - 2012-06-11 8:15 AM

I'm  great hand wringer that likes to plan every detail.  I had a few of questions. 1. How far is the transition to the Radisson?  I've tried mapquesting, but it's not entirely clear to me.  2.  I understand that it's ~ a mile walk to the swim start - do you wear shoes and leave them at the swim start?  3.  Does you wave walk as a group to the swim start, or do you just show up at the start before your wave starts? 

I'm sure I'll have more, and hopefully these will help others!Laughing 

I'm not sure about the first question. 

2. Most people walked with their family/friends so they could hand them anything they didn't want.  So if you want to walk to the start with shoes, water bottle, backpack, etc. you could leave it with them once you start. Completely up to you.  I carried my wetsuit there and put it on once I got there.

3. It's a general migration to the start.  Once transition closes they tell you to make your way down there.  As it gets closer to being your waves turn, they'll announce for you to go to the starting area and you'll notice everyone with your colored cap on make their way to the start.

Word of caution, last year there were no bathrooms by the starting area.  So if you have to go to the bathroom one last time your last chance is before you start walking to the starting line (they told us before we started walking).  so depending on when your wave is, this may or may not be an issue.

2012-06-11 1:48 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
myred86 - 2012-06-11 8:15 AM

1. How far is the transition to the Radisson?  I've tried mapquesting, but it's not entirely clear to me.  2.  I understand that it's ~ a mile walk to the swim start - do you wear shoes and leave them at the swim start?  3.  Does you wave walk as a group to the swim start, or do you just show up at the start before your wave starts? 

1. probably 1/2 mile.  Just long enough, to not want to walk it too often.

2. Its about 3/4 of a mile, but everyone walks through the sand in bare feet.  Some people do wear sandals and then give them to friends/family at the start.

3. They start to close transition, and everyone saunters over there.  Good to get a warm up in before the pros go off.  Bonus Tip:  Take a gel and or sportsdrink as you weight for your start.  Find a place to relax.

2012-06-11 3:02 PM

User image

Thanks guys- great input!  As the race grows closer, I do have another question, but I think that I need to answer it, "why am I doing this again?".  Wink
2012-06-12 12:15 PM

User image

Wisconsin

As you walk down you can also stay on a paved path a good part of the way or hug the shoreline to keep your feet cool- either way.  They did have the waves with the age, swim cap and time on posts last year so get to line up several waves prior if you are concerned about that at all.  You will not miss your wave so no worries there.  We brought out wetsuits down to the start also. Guess it depends on your swim start but who wants to walk a mile in their wetsuit?  Water and fuel are huge yes, if you have a later start they supply nothing at the swim start.  Bring a bottle of water and anything else you may need.  You can get out into the water to watch the pros start which I think is amazing to see. They start so hard and fast it's impressive. 

The hotel is not far at all but it's likely that after the race you won't want to walk back.  If you can leave a car near the race Saturday and walk back so you have it there on Sunday when you are done.  Just a thought  Bring on any questions you have at all.  Happy to help!

Amy

2012-06-12 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4257767

User image

New user
Kenosha
Couple of other items to note: There's a lot of street parking, so don't feel like you need to park in the lots (that will eventually be in the Athlete guide). There's amble shade and picnic tables in the park for spectators. There's also a small restaurant at the beach for spectators to grab water and a bite to eat. As Amy mentioned...bring on the questions. We've both done this race a few times.

2012-06-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4257841

User image

Here are some more random questions.

1) What flavors of IM Perform, GU Gels and Bonk Breakers are at the aid stations? I am bringing my own nutrition but it might be a good idea to try them before the race in case I need to use them.

2)What kind of cool swag do you normally get in your packet?

3) I understand the "Danish Kringle" is a specialty of the region.  Whats your favorite place to pick one up?  I might have to make one a post-race snack.  I am also a sucker for small locally owned pizza shops.  Do you have any favorites that need my attention?

4) With the transition area being such a tight area, what do you do with your wetsuit so it doesnt get lost in the mix of everyone elses gear? Do you cram it in a transition bag or just drop and go?

I am sure like others, I will think of other questions as we get closer.

2012-06-12 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4258306

User image

New user
Kenosha
maslowrun - 2012-06-12 3:47 PM

Here are some more random questions.

1) What flavors of IM Perform, GU Gels and Bonk Breakers are at the aid stations? I am bringing my own nutrition but it might be a good idea to try them before the race in case I need to use them.

2)What kind of cool swag do you normally get in your packet?

3) I understand the "Danish Kringle" is a specialty of the region.  Whats your favorite place to pick one up?  I might have to make one a post-race snack.  I am also a sucker for small locally owned pizza shops.  Do you have any favorites that need my attention?

4) With the transition area being such a tight area, what do you do with your wetsuit so it doesnt get lost in the mix of everyone elses gear? Do you cram it in a transition bag or just drop and go?

I am sure like others, I will think of other questions as we get closer.

All Great Questions...especially the kringle and pizza ones. :-) IM perform is lemon lime or orange. GU, I'm not sure about because I used shot bloks. Bonk Breakers were not at the race last year, so that'll be a surprise.

Bling is limited to the shirt, jockey underwear coupons :-), and miscellenous other junk. The Kansas 70.3 had much better goodie bag this year.

Racine Kringle is all over in Racine, but the best place is Paielli's in Kenosha for the Kringle. If you're buying, my favorite is the cinnamon. :-)

Pizza joints....Carl's in Kenosha (downtown).

Everyone does a drop and go with the wetsuit. Generally folks are polite as long as you leave the suit close to your other business.
2012-06-12 5:11 PM

User image

How about a place to take a shower post race? Or what do people usually do? Lake Michigan?
2012-06-12 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4258465

User image

New user
Kenosha
ddahms - 2012-06-12 5:11 PM

How about a place to take a shower post race? Or what do people usually do? Lake Michigan?

If you really need to shower before getting to the car, I do believe there are showers at the back of the beach grill (right on the lake).
2012-06-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4258509

User image

New user

any locals doing the lighthouse run this weekend as part of their training?

2012-06-14 9:44 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Thanks for all the great questions & answers so far - I've been reading with great interest.  Finally came up with a question of my own - another nutrition question.  Do they still have ready-to-drink bottles of IM perform at the bike aid stations?  I'd like to buy some to train with as I've heard the concentration/flavor can be different than when you mix it with the powder, but I cannot find the bottles anywhere.  They even removed the big cooler from my Performance Bike store.  Wondering what's been done so far at other races this season (eg Kansas) and if anyone knows a place to order the bottles from.  Thanks!
2012-06-14 1:05 PM

User image

Wisconsin

I do know that YES Kansas was giving out the full bottles on the bike last week.  I looked online at a few places and they seem to be out of stock???  Wish I could help more. 

Amy

2012-06-14 1:28 PM

User image

Wisconsin

For anyone that doesn't live far from the WI/IL border, there are open water swims in Lake Andrea throughout the summer.  It's a small lake but 1/2 mile across and then once all swimmers are across you can swim back, your choice.  Just thought I'd toss it out there for anyone who is looking for an open water option. http://recplexonline.com/triathlons-special-events/pleasant-prairie-triathlon/lake-andrea-open-water-swim

2012-06-14 1:29 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Thanks for the info.  I've been looking all over online for the bottles, too.  Thought I'd found them and ordered some, but got an email that the store really does not have them.  Not even powerbar's online store seems to have them.  Along the same lines, what flavors did they have at Kansas both on the bike and run?  Is that different than what's been provided at Racine in year's past?  Seems hard to find anything besides lemon lime, even in the powder.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27