BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 117

2011-12-20 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3946842

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP- OPEN
copa2251 - 2011-12-20 7:30 PM
jfought - 2011-12-21 6:37 AM
Jeepguy2358 - 2011-12-20 4:04 PM

Picture this.... I'm on my hands and knees, crawling, begging for you to let me back in.   Room for one more????

Chris

I love a guy who will beg Laughing

Where's the "like" button?

2011-12-20 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3942845

User image

Elite
san francisco
New salad topping alert "craisins infused with pomegranate juice...omg, yum!!!! Carry on.
2011-12-20 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3947050

User image

Charlotte, NC
Havin'Fun - 2011-12-20 9:53 PM
baxt3r - 2011-12-20 8:11 PM

WTF, I'll sign up, too.

Name:  Baxter

Story:  Not much of one.  I drank beer for the past 14 years and put on some weight.  One day, out of the blue, I decided I was going to do a triathlon.  Might have been the beer talking, but I signed up and finished 15 minutes under my goal time.  So, that made me want to do more.  And here I am. 

Family:  Married with a 6-month old boy of the same name, but with Jr. on the end of it. 

Training:  As much as I can when I can (get motivated to get my butt out of bed).  I plan to run 3+ times per week, swim 2+ times per week, and bike as often as my butt allows.

2011 Races:  Tri! Ballantyne Sprint distance. 

2012 Races:  I'm shooting for 5 or more races this year as well as the local Warrior Dash and possibly the time trial series at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Goals:  Lose at least 40 pounds this year.  Quit smoking (yeah, I know right),  Train and race the equivalent of 30 Iron-distance races this year.  Get my wife to sign up for a race. 

What Do I Expect From BT Mentoring:  Someone to hold me accountable and give me an endless supply of siht if I don't exercise at least 6 times per week. 

What can I bring to the group?:  Beer and BBQ.  I know very little other than what I have read here on BT in the past 8 months.  But, I enjoy reading the site and hope I can contribute something at some point.

Facebook:  Baxter Stegall, Charlotte, NC  (not the one in Ohio)

Welcome.  Are you doing the ISO Cast Iron Club? 

I'm in Cary and thinking about that one too.

That's the one. I don't know if I will complete it, but I am going to try my best.
2011-12-20 9:35 PM
in reply to: #3947020

User image

Regular
Chicago
copa2251 - 2011-12-20 8:32 PM

SERIOUS QUESTION ALERT!!!!!!!!

How do people fit marathon training in with tri training?

I'm looking at doing a marathon either in July or August (Gold Coast or Brisbane) but I'd also like to do a HIM in early June and I've got Oly's in March, April and October.

I like to follow a plan but any advice on how to combine these different goals??

The Marathon would be my first and I'd just like to finish it feeling good and start it feeling well prepared.

I'm also interested in this answer! I'm looking at HIM July, Marathon October.

2011-12-20 9:37 PM

User image

Master
copa2251 - 2011-12-20 6:32 PM

I'm looking at doing a marathon either in July or August (Gold Coast or Brisbane) but I'd also like to do a HIM in early June and I've got Oly's in March, April and October.

I like to follow a plan but any advice on how to combine these different goals??

The Marathon would be my first and I'd just like to finish it feeling good and start it feeling well prepared.

I like this question... and am doing something similar, only backwards. I'm planning on a HIM in July (12th, I think?) and my BFF wants me to run a marathon with her on June 23. Not a problem, I figure, as she's said all along the marathon would be "just for fun, not for time." Well, today on the phone she starts talking PR with me (we have the same PR, done together, holding hands at the finish... awwwwww!!!) and now I'm getting all nervous about recovering enough in time to do a HIM 2-3 weeks later. At least my legs will be in good shape!! I guess I could just pile on the biking at that point, let the legs recover, and do my best. 

Not sure about how to train for both a marathon and an HIM, though. Anyone here done that? Kim? I know, I know, I'll have to ride my bike...

2011-12-20 9:54 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
copa2251 - 2011-12-20 9:32 PM

a little farther apart but chet ran on 4 months after IM.  maybe he's got some wisdom for ya.  pretty sure he bq'd that race too.

2011-12-20 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3947113

User image

Elite
san francisco
kkcbelle - 2011-12-20 7:37 PM

I like this question... and am doing something similar, only backwards. I'm planning on a HIM in July (12th, I think?) and my BFF wants me to run a marathon with her on June 23. Not a problem, I figure, as she's said all along the marathon would be "just for fun, not for time." Well, today on the phone she starts talking PR with me (we have the same PR, done together, holding hands at the finish... awwwwww!!!) and now I'm getting all nervous about recovering enough in time to do a HIM 2-3 weeks later. At least my legs will be in good shape!! I guess I could just pile on the biking at that point, let the legs recover, and do my best. 

Not sure about how to train for both a marathon and an HIM, though. Anyone here done that? Kim? I know, I know, I'll have to ride my bike...

Let me think...and review the plans for the two marathons I trained for while training for HIM's...let's see, first one was December 09, with Oceanside Him in March 2010, then last year April 2011, while training for July HIM. I know the bike stuff was hard, remember me crying to you, Kyla? Incredibly hard intervals right smack dab in the early part of marathon training lasting right up to 2 weeks beforehand. I think it can be incorporated pretty well...I never run more than 3-4 times a week even during M training due to my age(46) and history of pf but my bike is pretty consistent (3x week). Swim for you and David is probably not so important to focus on cause you guys are great swimmers. But my marathons were 8-10 weeks pre tri, so I am not sure I am being much help. Bottom line, you CAN train hard on the bike while marathon training, just don't try to do hard run after hard bike, maybe put a swim in between....sorry for being so vague!
2011-12-20 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3947005

User image

fattyfatfat - 2011-12-20 9:23 PM
jslacker - 2011-12-20 9:15 PM

Thanks Julia,

Yes, a fellow Tri Tippy.  I just have to learn to keep up with you! 

just don't shower for a week.  she'll find you and then won't leave you alone. 

Oh yeah, dirty hippie jokes. That's what I'm here for. 

2011-12-20 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3947133

User image

kt65 - 2011-12-20 10:56 PM
kkcbelle - 2011-12-20 7:37 PM

Let me think...and review the plans for the two marathons I trained for while training for HIM's...let's see, first one was December 09, with Oceanside Him in March 2010, then last year April 2011, while training for July HIM. I know the bike stuff was hard, remember me crying to you, Kyla? Incredibly hard intervals right smack dab in the early part of marathon training lasting right up to 2 weeks beforehand. I think it can be incorporated pretty well...I never run more than 3-4 times a week even during M training due to my age(46) and history of pf but my bike is pretty consistent (3x week). Swim for you and David is probably not so important to focus on cause you guys are great swimmers. But my marathons were 8-10 weeks pre tri, so I am not sure I am being much help. Bottom line, you CAN train hard on the bike while marathon training, just don't try to do hard run after hard bike, maybe put a swim in between....sorry for being so vague!

I haven't trained for a marathon and HIM at the same time, but I've kept up training for shorter tris while training for marathons. I follow the tri training plan for the bike and swim, and add run mileage by using a marathon training plan as a guide for weekly and long-run mileage. I don't follow either plan to the letter, but try to get in the key workouts and meet the weekly volume targets. Unlike Kim, I do better if I spread my run mileage out over more days (5-6) per week. On bike days, I run in the morning and bike on the trainer at night. On swim days, I take a short run right before I swim. For a first marathon, I'd skip speed workouts and just build volume with lots of easy running.

2011-12-21 6:12 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Guess what?  It's WEDNESDAY!  Who's racing a little Santa Dash? something else?  Spill the beans! (For you newbies, this question comes at you every week and gives you a chance to lay out your race details and strategy)

If you're not racing, what the heck are you doing? higlights please!

2011-12-21 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3947321

User image

Veteran
Yorktown, VA & Langley AFB
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 6:12 AM

Guess what?  It's WEDNESDAY!  Who's racing a little Santa Dash? something else?  Spill the beans! (For you newbies, this question comes at you every week and gives you a chance to lay out your race details and strategy)

No racing... I plan to be CHILLIN' with the family.

2011-12-21 6:45 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 7:12 AM

good luck racing peeps!  a Christmas eve 5k sounds cool, but none around here that i can find.  what the heck am i doing... playing santa, not sharing the kiddos toys, frying turkey and hoisting a few.  and Christmas day is kick off for NOLA 70.3.  that makes this the fourth year in row that i'm sitting here in december wondering why on earth i registered for an early season long course race. 

2011-12-21 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Question: 

I just finished the second ride on my new (used) trainer.  So, I'm noticing that:

1) IT'S HARDER than riding on the roads. Cry  Boo hoo, wahhhh, sob sob

2) The computer on my bike says I'm going really slow and not very far.  That bites.

3) I'm going to be watching more TV this winter than I have in the past 5 years combined.

So, here's the question.  How do you log your miles?  Do you just go by the pathetic distance and average speed displayed on the bike computer, or do you use some other more impressive formula?  It probably doesn't really matter as long as you're putting the time and effort in, does it? 

No racing for me this weekend, unless it's racing around buying gifts because I HATE shopping and I HATE Christmas.  :-) There, I said it.  Now, happy solstice to everyone tomorrow.  Days will be getting longer--that's something to celebrate.Cool

2011-12-21 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3947360

User image

Champion
jfought - 2011-12-21 6:52 AM

Question: 

I just finished the second ride on my new (used) trainer.  So, I'm noticing that:

1) IT'S HARDER than riding on the roads. Cry  Boo hoo, wahhhh, sob sob

2) The computer on my bike says I'm going really slow and not very far.  That bites.

3) I'm going to be watching more TV this winter than I have in the past 5 years combined.

So, here's the question.  How do you log your miles?  Do you just go by the pathetic distance and average speed displayed on the bike computer, or do you use some other more impressive formula?  It probably doesn't really matter as long as you're putting the time and effort in, does it? 

No racing for me this weekend, unless it's racing around buying gifts because I HATE shopping and I HATE Christmas.  :-) There, I said it.  Now, happy solstice to everyone tomorrow.  Days will be getting longer--that's something to celebrate.Cool

Jayne--it really doesn't matter what the speed turns out to be.  Are you following a plan?  If it's HR, make sure it gets into the right zone.  If it's power, same thing.   I used to be a mileage nut,  but I gave that up this year.  Now, if I hit the planned zones I am happy.  And you're right, it can be harder because you don't have any momentum on the downhills--it's one constant push.  Of course, you could have the tension cranked too hard on the wheel???

Also, fans are you friend when you're indoors.  I open a window, crank the ceiling fan and have an industrial fan that blows on me and my rear tire so it doesn't melt the tube.  It's usually 55F in my exercise room during these efforts.  Hands freeze, but I am still sweating up a storm.

2011-12-21 7:03 AM

User image

Champion
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 6:12 AM

No racing for me either.  I'm cooking up a storm for the fam, going to the Badger b-ball game, seeing some friends who come home for the Holidays and topping it off with a Packer party.

2011-12-21 7:07 AM
in reply to: #3947005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
fattyfatfat - 2011-12-20 9:23 PM
jslacker - 2011-12-20 9:15 PM

Thanks Julia,

Yes, a fellow Tri Tippy.  I just have to learn to keep up with you! 

just don't shower for a week.  she'll find you and then won't leave you alone. 

Isn't the pool just another way to take a shower??????  The chlorine is a great cologne! 

2011-12-21 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
If there is room at the inn, I'd like to join as well. Will post a bio once I get the OK.

Thanks!

Mike
2011-12-21 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

NAME: Dan

STORY: I'm 53 and live in Sendai, Japan. I was part of a staff reduction at the end of 2007 and have given myself a few years off to a) catch up on life, i.e., things I like to do besides work b) see how far I can get with triathlons - ideally I want to do an IM, but I'm not in a hurry and thinking the earliest that will happen is 2013. 

In 2008 I struggled with learning to swim and bike again. I hadn't really done either for 30-35 years and only knew how to swim with my face out of the water (which is still the way I swam all my races this year). I also struggled with getting my running going again. I'm still struggling with swimming and have lots of room for improvement on the bike and run (or so I like to believe).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two sons from my wife's previous marriage. We have 3 grandchildren.

CURRENT TRAINING: trying to build up to 6 runs/week ala Barry P and ramp up my weekly distances to 50 km.  I'm also trying to hit 5 trainer rides/week on top of that and slowly build up duration.  Swimming...one lesson a week, lots of drills and I think my balance is finally getting better.  Now if I can only get this breathing stuff to work.

2011 RACES: 3 Olys, an HIM, a couple of HMs.  I had my fastest Oly, 10K (in the Oly) and HM this year.   The HIM was my first.

2012 RACES: I'm thinking 3 Olys and one HIM again along with 2-3 HMs.

INSEAM: 28 inches 

Weightloss: not a problem as long as I keep my beer/wine consumption up.

2011-12-21 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3947100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN
jfought - 2011-12-20 10:23 PM
jslacker - 2011-12-20 5:19 PM

I know its getting crowded in here but would really like to join this group. 

Name:  John (43)

Story:  I had knee surgery a year ago (Nov 2010) and was sitting in my bed the day after and thought it would be a good idea to sign up for an IM.  I had done a couple of sprints but nothing serious.  I have always been a terrible swimmer.  Signing up for the event was a great motivator to get off the couch.  It wasn't pretty but I did Louisville in August.  I struggled but I finished.  So now I want to go back and rock it in 2012.  

Family Status: Married for almost 18 years and have 3 kids (9, 7, and 3).  My wife is my rock and nothing phases her.  Even weekly 5 hour bike rides. 

2011 Races:  Indy Mini, Muncie 1/2 IM, and Louisville IM. 

2012 Races:  Martian Marathon in April, Indy Mini in May, Muncie 1/2 IM in July, Louisville in August, Fall Marathon TBD.  

What can I bring to the group?:  A quick wit, mixed with a bit of sarcasm, some political incorrect advice, and a slackers heart.   I log most days unless I am traveling and will be active on the thread. 

Thanks

Hey Julia, check it out. . . another hoosier!!  Happy dance Laughing

Welcome to the fray, John.

I like to consider myself a Boilermaker!  Hate to call myself a Hoosier.  That is the name for the "Other" school in Indiana.  Plus, Boilermaker is a great drink. 

FYI....The History of the term Hoosier.....

Back in the day when people would walked every where and would sometimes be put up for the night while traveling on the road, farmers would be out in the field when they would see someone walking up to their house.  To make sure the person was safe, they would yell out, "Hoosier mother, Hoosier father!  Hence starting the term Hoosier.  Ok, this really isn't true but its a good drinking story. 

2011-12-21 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
SSMinnow - 2011-12-21 9:12 AM

No racing here.  I'm "SWBKRUN" -ing and helping my wife get the house in order for kids/grandkids over the holidays.

2011-12-21 7:26 AM

New user

Steve,

I would like to join your mentor group.  I ran triathlons when I was much younger, mid to late 20's, and trying to get back in shape to do a couple of races this year.  The advice from current racers would be invaluable!

I am the Operations Manager for a Disaster Recovery team so my schedule can get very complicated when the weather starts acting up.  However, even if I do not have a chance to race, the training is great for overall fitness.  I live in east Tennessee and I am 49 years old.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (Tammy) 25 years, two sons one a junior in college and one a sophomore.

CURRENT TRAINING: I have just been working on a base over the fall.  Running is by far my weaker segment so I am looking for any ideas on how to make training more fun and effective.  I am doing strength training and run M/W/F, swim and bike T/TH/SA and off on Sundays.  Runs are on the road or at the fitness club on the treadmill, swim is at the fitness club in the 25 yd pool, and bike is on the trainer other than those few days when it is warm enough to ride and not raining.

2011  RACES: No 2011 races.

2012 RACES:  I have two races on my list for 2012; Scenic City Triathlon Hixson, TN spring distance in April and either the Waterfront Triathlon in Chattanooga, TN or Fall Creek Falls Triathlon in Pikeville, TN both Olympic. My schedule with travel for work will dictate which of the Olympic I am able to do.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have lost about 35 pounds in 2011!  I am probably near my race weight but still need to drop those last few pounds of spare tire and replace them with swim muscles.  I am with you on Jack and Coke and would recommend trying a little Gentleman Jack w/Diet Mtn Dew! 

Thanks and looking forward to being a part of the group!

Kevan Parker

2011-12-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3947387

User image

Champion
marietta

Mike_D - 2011-12-21 8:07 AM If there is room at the inn, I'd like to join as well. Will post a bio once I get the OK.

Thanks!

Mike

post it, mike   welcome!

2011-12-21 7:37 AM
in reply to: #3947387

User image

Champion

Mike_D - 2011-12-21 7:07 AM If there is room at the inn, I'd like to join as well. Will post a bio once I get the OK.

Thanks!

Mike

OK!

2011-12-21 7:42 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
see what happens when you go away for 30 minutes. 
2011-12-21 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3947448

User image

Champion

fattyfatfat - 2011-12-21 7:42 AM see what happens when you go away for 30 minutes. 

I know!  Now I have to get to the pool and you know how long that takes me!  Your call!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN -CLOSED DUE TO TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 117