BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-01-18 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3998142

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED

Jo,

To me being tired could make a huge difference in your confidence level.  Your body knows what it is capable of--if it is tired, it only makes sense that you would be more wary of conditions.  The fact that you are willing to get out there is pretty great!  I'm enjoying reading your reports, keep 'em coming!

Kirsten

2012-01-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3998142

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Jo, I think you have a huge advantage because you are able to get so much training in open water. It's ok to have bad days, just get back out there and kill it the next time. By going through these bad days now you will be better able to avoid them come race day. Part of training is experiencing the really bad so if you do see the really bad on race day, you know a bit more how to react to it.
2012-01-18 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3942885

User image

Elite

Thanks for the support guys!  I feel way better now - it's a little after 1 in the afternoon and I just went out for a great run!  The sun is shining it's about 25 degrees (C).  I did three laps of the park which is 2.13km round.  Stats below - I got faster!

Lap 1    14.13    6.38 per km    9kph

Lap 2    13.30    6.15 per km    9.5kph

Lap 3    13.25    6.13 per km    9.52kph

With the warm up and cool down it's 7km - very happy!

- Glad you like reading (i'm a chatterer)Smile

2012-01-19 5:55 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ
well unfortunately Ive been sick the past few days and havent been up for running, however I did get a new bike, so I'm pretty pumped. Nothing crazy or hardcore, but the best I could buy with the money I have. 2008 Specialized Allez Triple.
2012-01-19 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

Sean - you'll love the Specialized Allez!  I have one as well and it's been great so far.  Rode it this morning on the trainer to the tunes of the Sufferfest Downward Spiral.  Drenching!

Finally getting back towards 100% after a bout with bronchitis.  Kids bring home the best presents!

Jo - still jealous of all your open water swim access - nice job with your run!

Hope everyone is having a great week.

2012-01-19 3:07 PM

Regular
Indiana

Any of you have trouble with sharp pains along the outside of the hip while running?

I have been experiencing sharp pains from time-to-time and eventually go away if I change my gate.

It almost feels like a tight muscle rubbing against my hip bone. It usually only hurts when I run. I know, I know, if it hurts stop...right? Of course that is not an option.

This has been going on now for about 3 months.

2012-01-19 5:58 PM

User image

Elite

A weekend off training for me - had my hair professionally straightened yesterday and can't get it wet/sweaty until Monday.  I'm such a girlie girl!

Anyway Monday is swim squad (in the pool)  I may double up and do an indoor trainer session or a spin class beforehand.

Safe and happy training gang!

Jo

2012-01-19 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4000114

User image

Veteran
Maryland
mikar_68 - 2012-01-19 4:07 PM

Any of you have trouble with sharp pains along the outside of the hip while running?

I have been experiencing sharp pains from time-to-time and eventually go away if I change my gate.

It almost feels like a tight muscle rubbing against my hip bone. It usually only hurts when I run. I know, I know, if it hurts stop...right? Of course that is not an option.

This has been going on now for about 3 months.

I'm no doctor, but that sounds like the good old ITBS to me. There are a bunch of articles on it here on BT about it. Really not running on it for awhile is the way to heal it. You'll want an actually diagnosis, or at least compare the symptoms yourself and not just take my word for it. If it is ITBS and you insist on still running, the pain will likely grow worse and worse (I tried to run through ITBS last winter and ended up off running for over a month to fully recover). Some things you can do to mitigate the damage is to really make sure your toes are pointed straight ahead when you land. If your foot is angled it will pull everything in your leg at an angle, and that can cause/aggravate ITBS. I also suggest getting a foam roller and working everything in your legs and hips with that as often as you can. Again, these are just my opinions from experience, and if you suspect a bad injury, go see a doctor.

2012-01-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: #4000617

Regular
Indiana

thank you for the input. I will read the articles and see what I can find out. It is manageable right now, but don't want it to get worse.

thank you again

mike

2012-01-19 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

I had some ITBS issues last year as well.  I second a lot of the recommendations Johnny made, although I'm not a doctor and don't know anything about the foot-alignment thing.  I also used the foam roller quite a bit - using it before a run mostly seemed to work best for me.  I also highly recommend a good chiropractor, especially one who understands athletics.  If I had to see one type of doctor for the rest of my life to cure all my ailments, I think it would be a chiropractor.  I had some things off balance in the hips and so forth that the chiro worked on.  The doc also recommended lots of glute/hips/core strengthening exercises.  Lastly, if you need pain management, I recommend the IT band strap.  http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Band-Compression-Wrap/dp/B005B00J5K. Wraps around your leg just above your knee and applies pressure to the side of your leg.  That also worked for me, though it kind of became a crutch, no pun intended.  I'm no doctor, but that was my experience.  Hope you can find something that works for you.

2012-01-19 9:29 PM

User image

Sarnia

Ok, so group rule...Jo isn't allowed to tell us how the weather is where she lives..haha...

Got our first bit of snow here for the winter which is quite impressive for being almost the end of January in Ontario Canada, so I switched up my 5k run for a 42k ride on the trainer, ya know every time I do something like that I gain more and more respect for those that compete at the full IM distance...guess I need to build some more...I'll hit the road tomorrow hopefully, although they are calling for an additional 5-10cm of snow...

2012-01-21 6:06 AM

User image

Elite

Oh deary me!  It is Australia Day on Thursday 26th January - public holiday lovely.

Well tradition dictates there is an OWS race....1.4km or 5km.  I seem to have signed up for the 1.4km.  I have a friend (she has done 10 IM) and she's just persuasive so off we go!

I am of course terrified....no shame in coming last though!

Actually despite her prowess as a triathlete the only time I'm ahead of her is in the water - praying for calm seas but I checked the forecast - 40kph winds doesn't sound that calm to me...

Oh - by the way don't like to mention, had a bbq at home today and it was 28 degrees C.  Sorry!

2012-01-21 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4002852

User image

Veteran
Maryland

bmeere - 2012-01-19 10:29 PM
Ok, so group rule...Jo isn't allowed to tell us how the weather is where she lives..haha...

jobaxas - 2012-01-21 7:06 AM

Oh - by the way don't like to mention, had a bbq at home today and it was 28 degrees C.  Sorry!

I think as long as you keep talking about the weather in Celsius you can talk about the weather. I can not do the math and just think that 28 degrees is to cold for a BBQ.

Coincidentally, it is 28 degrees right now where I am, and there is ice and slush and a bit of snow all over the ground. That means I should be doing another run (shooting for 10-13 miles today) with my good friend the treadmill. I'm never sure if the gym will be crowded because people will stay inside to workout, or if the ice is enough of an excuse for most lazy people to skip their workouts all together.

2012-01-21 7:00 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Here in Arizona, we have had some abnormally nice weather. All week it has been cold in the morning (42ish) and real nice in the afternoon (70+). Unfortunately  I have had some brutal allergies this week. I'm calling off this mornings 50 mile ride. Hopefully I'll be back feeling good by next monday so I can get back into the swing of things. Hope you all have a good weekend =)
2012-01-21 7:05 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Cold, snowy and slushy here today as well.  Still got the weekend started right with Hell Hath No Fury on the trainer followed by a quick 2 mile run through the slush.  I love the commentary during the suferfest videos - very clever.  Had a pretty good training week despite being under the weather.  I did skip my swim yesterday in order to sign up for a cycling class with the tri club I joined recently.  I'm really excited to meet some more people (in person for a change) that are into tri's.  I'm also looking forward to having some friends competing at some of my same races - should just add to the fun!  They're even having a Tri 101 clinic tomorrow that I'm going to attend - I'll let you know if I pick up any good tips.  Have a great weekend everyone!
2012-01-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4002884

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

I tried to do a run at lunchtime on Friday at the gym but all cardio equipments were booked. I had an uber-crazy week at work and home and missed a lot of my planned work-outs, so I decided to try my luck outside instead of missing another session.

Temperature was -16C/3F but felt like -24C/-11F with the wind (as per the weathernetwork.com). I had to stay away from some streets were the wind was strong. An epic hour, but with the exception of some iced sidewalks and the brutal wind, had a blast in the park. 

Topped it off with swim work-out at night. I usually go long (3km/3280yds) but I met a fellow triathlete last week who is using a program. So I used his work-out yesterday (breathe every 3/5/7/5/3 strokes, pull-buoy, kick, practiced drafting, 100m all-out, etc...). I did like the change but I still hate the dreadful kick-board!

After we had a long discussion about which of our methods is most efficient (long steady Vs intervals/drills). We should meet on Fridays, so I think I will go long mondays/weds and intervals fridays. I am with Dave here, meeting/training with  fellow triathletes is a real plus! The only drawback is that I am now all confused with my training plan Smile

BTW, I see  access to some training logs is restricted. Just so you know, you can manually give access to selected persons (e.g members of this  group if you want), but this is not automatic. 

Have  great week-end everyone!

2012-01-21 9:32 PM

User image

Elite
some advice please fellow members.  I am about to buy my clip on pedals etc - been in the cages long enough.  What's the best way to get started?  On the indoor trainer - clipping in and out?  I thought I'd start with that then head down to the criterion track and go round there a few times practsing?  How did you all start with them?
2012-01-21 10:00 PM

User image

Sarnia
I have to say that I just started riding with them.  I always knew how to get out and can adjust the tension in mine, I may have tightened them up over time, but kinda just went for it. I have had more instances with cages than I have with clipless....Starting with the trainer would be a good idea though, stop in mid stroke and unclip yourself, then go back and do it again...
2012-01-21 10:20 PM
in reply to: #4003895

User image

Master

jobaxas - 2012-01-21 7:32 PM some advice please fellow members.  I am about to buy my clip on pedals etc - been in the cages long enough.  What's the best way to get started?  On the indoor trainer - clipping in and out?  I thought I'd start with that then head down to the criterion track and go round there a few times practsing?  How did you all start with them?

I clipped in and out of my pedals while leaning against the house about 25 times each side before going out on my cul-de-sac and practicing a bit, before venturing out on the roads.  I got the advice to clip out and place the middle of my foot on the pedal before even touching the breaks--seems to have been good advice as I got used to the pedals quite quickly.  Good luck!

2012-01-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4000702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
bmeere - 2012-01-19 9:29 PM

Got our first bit of snow here for the winter which is quite impressive for being almost the end of January in Ontario Canada, so I switched up my 5k run for a 42k ride on the trainer, ya know every time I do something like that I gain more and more respect for those that compete at the full IM distance...guess I need to build some more...I'll hit the road tomorrow hopefully, although they are calling for an additional 5-10cm of snow...

Haha... agree on that!

2012-01-22 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4003895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

jobaxas - 2012-01-21 9:32 PM some advice please fellow members.  I am about to buy my clip on pedals etc - been in the cages long enough.  What's the best way to get started?  On the indoor trainer - clipping in and out?  I thought I'd start with that then head down to the criterion track and go round there a few times practsing?  How did you all start with them?

I started with the following piece of advice: you will fall.  But you won't fall when moving, you will fall when you stop.  It won't hurt.

2012-01-22 12:50 PM

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ
Did my first sufferfest vid this morning (very dark place). Damn near threw up haha. Hope you guys have a good weekend.
2012-01-22 4:26 PM

User image

Elite

I've got a sprint triathlon Sunday, i'm off work Weds/Thurs/Fri so I shall invest in the shoes/pedals and lots of practice hanging onto a tree so i'm good to go for Sunday!  Probably a good idea to do a race in them where there is no traffic!  I'm sure they won't be as bad as I'm imagining!

It's 19 weeks until Cairns 2.80.20 (HIM equivalent) so real training starts now.  I've got a marathon in 23 weeks so the run training has to build for that too.

My plan is one long ride and one long run a week.  Then 2 more rides and runs a week (quality rather than quantity and the bike will likely be indoor trainer) - and I'll stick to my swim squad routine of 3 sessions a week of 3km.  OWS continues once a week until the end of March which is great.  I agree i'm very lucky to have that opportunity.

Okay - more advice needed, I'll be hitting the indoor trainer over the coming 19 weeks, any recommendations for DVD's/audio to work out to?

Hope you had a good weekend everyone!

Jo

x

2012-01-22 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4004752

User image

Veteran
Maryland
jobaxas - 2012-01-22 5:26 PM

Okay - more advice needed, I'll be hitting the indoor trainer over the coming 19 weeks, any recommendations for DVD's/audio to work out to?

There seem to be a few of us here that really love The Sufferfest videos, and they can be a nice addition to your plan. They are 50-84 minutes long, and are quite intense. I do 3 indoor trainer sessions a week, and at least one, sometimes two, of those sessions are a Sufferfest. On days when I need to do a longer ride of a lower intensity (2+ hours) I normally just put in a movie I want to watch. If you don't already have some sort of monitoring I also suggest you check out TrainerRoad (found at www.trainerroad.com). For $10(US) a month and less than $100 worth of equipment you can have really accurate power monitoring while using your trainer if you don't already have a power tap. TrainerRoad has a bunch of workouts already programmed into it, and you can also use it in conjunction with any Sufferfest videos you might also own. While the TrainerRoad workouts don't have any video to them, the program is ingeniously designed so you can start a movie, start a workout, and have the important data appear at the edges of your screen while you watch your movie. At $10 a month TrainerRoad is an amazing deal. They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so there really isn't anything to lose by giving them a try. If you already have a bike computer that has a cadence sensor and can talk to an ANT+ receiver stick then all you really need is the TrainerRoad program and an ANT+ receiver ($39 on Amazon) and you can have power readings during your workouts. TrainerRoad really is helping me take my bike training to another level.

Of course, I have heard stories of some European cycling coaches that would make their athletes ride their trainers facing a wall with no movies or music for 4 hours at a time just to build mental toughness, and this is my recommended plan if you don't care for Sufferfest of TrainerRoad.

2012-01-22 9:37 PM

User image

Elite

Thanks Johnny FT!

I have been hearing a lot about Sufferfest so why not give it a go!I have compiled a few playlists so I can mimic a tough spin class in my own home.  I will also look into the Trainerroad thingo.

Not sure facing the wall is my thing though I do all my marathon run training solo with no music, I just count in my head constantly - seems to work!

Jo

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14