BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-17 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3995972

User image

Regular
NWA
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
plink - 2012-01-17 5:37 PM

Emily, thanks again for having me in the group!

KatNwater, I love your breakdown on breathing when swimming.  I also find this to be a challenge and can panic if I loose my breath/take in some water.  When I did my tri last year I ended up doing the side stroke most of the way due to my breathing being off.  My goal this year is to freestyle it the whole way. 

Does anyone have some suggestions on a website to get some bike clothes/gear.  I want to get clip on shoes and aero bars this year and I need some good pants for early spring rides.

Well - unfortunately, you've missed the awesome sale www.swimoutlet.com has had...I got some killer deals the first couple days after the new year.  But, they have everything...and great customer service too.  And BT pushes TriSports.com.  I've never ordered from them.  I try to support by LBS by purchasing my biking gear through them...but sometimes I just cringe knowing I can get a better deal online.  The bonus with using your LBS - you can try on/test everything before purchasing. 

My 2 cents worth anyway.

T.

2012-01-17 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3955221

Middle Tennessee

Tambo - I live in Murfreesboro, so close enough to enjoy all that Nashville has to offer, but far enough away that I don't deal with traffic, have a much lower cost of living, and that small town feel.  Best of both worlds!  The only other place I would live would be somewhere in the Caribbean - where the temperature never drops below 70, but I don't see that happening anytime soon...

The F4 that ripped through town a couple of years ago missed our house by less than 1/4 mile.  I drove through the destruction for over a year.  I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Tornadoes are scary things!

2012-01-17 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3996371

User image

Regular
NWA
KatNWater - 2012-01-17 9:54 PM

Tambo - I live in Murfreesboro, so close enough to enjoy all that Nashville has to offer, but far enough away that I don't deal with traffic, have a much lower cost of living, and that small town feel.  Best of both worlds!  The only other place I would live would be somewhere in the Caribbean - where the temperature never drops below 70, but I don't see that happening anytime soon...

The F4 that ripped through town a couple of years ago missed our house by less than 1/4 mile.  I drove through the destruction for over a year.  I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Tornadoes are scary things!

Does the Parthenon steakhouse still exist?  In 1991 (it may have been 93) I was stuck in Murfressboro for the girls state basketball tournament...its snowed so much we couldn't leave...and since we didn't have any way to get anywhere - we had to eat at either the Shoney's or the Parthenon restuarant for 5 days in a row.  Crazy for a high school kid. HA!

2012-01-17 10:01 PM

Middle Tennessee
The Parthenon is still around! They built a new building across the street, and now it is a truly nice restaurant instead of a nice restaurant in a dilapidated building.  
2012-01-18 5:19 AM
in reply to: #3995972

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
plink - 2012-01-17 6:37 PM

Does anyone have some suggestions on a website to get some bike clothes/gear.  I want to get clip on shoes and aero bars this year and I need some good pants for early spring rides.

I'm all for supporting my LBS also, but for inexpensive gear, I've done pretty well with Performance.

I got my clip-on shoes through an overstock place - something outfitters?
2012-01-18 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3995479

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
KatNWater - 2012-01-17 3:00 PM

I got a 9.6 mile run in today.  I just barely beat a tornado warning home.  I was doing different 2 mile out and back routes from my house, because of the storms.  Saw the sky do that pre-tornado thing. Ran really fast for home.  Walked in the door, and sure enough, a tornado warning had been issued.

I do find it somewhat troubling that I live in an area where I know what tornadic skies look like.  We get 5 or 6 tornado warning per year, and I don't live in "Tornado Ally".  

So since I did flat out sprint for the house - can I count today as a long run and speed work? Wink hahaha

Ha! Nice.  We had such a windy day that I felt like I was running in a tornado.  I almost got stood straight up a few times.  Wild.  Glad you made it home safe.

2012-01-18 5:33 AM
in reply to: #3996547

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

enders_shadow - 2012-01-18 6:19 AM
plink - 2012-01-17 6:37 PM Does anyone have some suggestions on a website to get some bike clothes/gear.  I want to get clip on shoes and aero bars this year and I need some good pants for early spring rides.
I'm all for supporting my LBS also, but for inexpensive gear, I've done pretty well with Performance. I got my clip-on shoes through an overstock place - something outfitters?

Another vote for Performance for cheap functional gear.  I also like to browse Amazon for deals.  I've purchased a good portion of my tri shorts and tops on clearance there.

2012-01-18 6:27 AM

New user
Woolwich, Maine
Thanks for all the suggestions for gear. It looks like I'll have to do some online shopping soon.
2012-01-18 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey, all!  Just wanted to let you know that I made a little table that lists everyone's username, real name, and is linked to training logs.  I haven't had a chance to test all of the links but those that I did click worked out find.  You should be able to cut and paste the table right from my blog.  If you have any questions or troubles with it just let me know.

I'm working for the next three days so my posting my be a little sporadic.  For some reason the management frowns upon my surfing the web during work hours. 

2012-01-18 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
I've been incognito the last few days. I admire you that did an outside workout in such windy conditions, if I have a nemesis it is wind, nothing shuts me down faster. I hope come race day it isn't windy... bike stuff, performance, nashbar, rei, amazon. I just bought trifllys from amazon last week on a good sale. no luck with aero bars yet so let me know if you find some decent ones. for pedals I found 105's at aawyeah.com, I think I found it using google shop.

I did a beast of a 30 min elliptical yesterday, averaged 80 rpm through the whole thing up to 14 out of 20 power scale. I actually completed 1600yds in the pool today also, just got to work it down to fewer stops.

I think it was iron penguin who asked about the hrm. I think there are a lot of uses for it. I initially got mine 6 years ago to force myself to slow down. My long slow distance runs always went faster than supposed to and I'd get ITBS. I slowly trained myself out of it (pun intended) and have been ITBS free for 5 years! Now I am using it as more of a training tool for fast and slow work and keep track of when I am fatigued. I got a copy of Chris Carmichael's "time crunched triathlete" and if I can work up the base for it plan to use his training program for my sprint in May. You might find the book interesting though because he goes over best ways to use the hrm and how perceived exertion is actually a decent metric, how to use it to not over fatigue on peak weeks but also explains how to set different peak heart rates by discipline, because like you said hr zooms when you start to run but my legs give out long before my heart when biking.
2012-01-18 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

WOW!  I don't know if the term is "Snowing Buckets" or "Raining Snowballs", but it is snowing like CRAZY in Boise.  Dry as a bone at 0630, now there are several inches on theground and coming down HARD.  Welcome Mr. Winter.  Time to brake out the XC skis.

Great Swim yesterday.  If you haven't heard of/used Mr. SwimSmooth, I highly recommend it.  It's a FREE, on-line, visual swim training aid.  I still need some professional lessons, but this program really makes you aware of your weak areas, so you can begin to address them.

"Time Crunched Triathlete".....yep, that's me.  I've heard that book mentioned several times on BT.  I'm gonna see if my library has a copy.

I'm gonna throw out an unsolicited 'plug' for Vibram Five Fingers, actually any of the barefoot running shoes can be included.  I'm am completely digging these things and I can honestly say my legs/feet are better because of them.  Might not be for everyone and I'm well aware of alot of marketing hype floated around about the whole "barefoot" craze, but I like mine.  Just my .02.

With all this snow, looks like an afternoon in the man-cave gym.  Enjoy your day, everyone.

2012-01-18 1:13 PM

Middle Tennessee
I am intrigued by the 5 fingers, but it is too expensive of an experiment for me right now.  I am barefoot 80% of the time.  I never wear shoes in the house, and I am a SAHM, so I am in the house all the time.  But I love, love, love my stability shoes for running.  I can visibly see a difference in my pronation  between stability shoes and a normal running shoe.  I am really afraid of how bad it would be in a 5 finger shoe.
2012-01-18 1:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
just curious, is anyone a member of USAT?
2012-01-18 1:41 PM
in reply to: #3997627

User image

Champion
coolgenes - 2012-01-18 2:26 PM

just curious, is anyone a member of USAT?

Yep - if you're doing more two races a year, might as well sign up...

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to renew mine this year, since I've planned this as year of the run...but being on BT is _almost_ enough to get me back in the pool. Naaah. Not quite.
2012-01-18 2:16 PM

St. Louis

Off to the pool in 30 minutes for only the second time since November. I still get nervous about it. Not because I am afraid of the water, or that I am afraid I might drown (though I respect the fact that its possible!) and its not that I care how I look in swim trunks(not too bad anywayWink) but because I am just so self-concious about myself once I am in there. There is usually a group of older women nearby that are doing aerobics and I feel they are always watching me and laughing when I can't hear them. And truth is, early in my swimming days--4 months ago--I did overhear one guy say to another "I thought that guy was drowning." I acknowldged that I overheard him with a nod and a smile and then struggled back to the other end.

Anyway, I guess I am just writing this because I have never told anyone this and I think some of you may understand a little bit of what I am going through. But if I sound doubtful and that perhaps I am not going to make it, check out my signature. There is no way I won't succeed...its just gonna suck until I do.

Got your notes, KatNWater and I will be using them. Thanks again.

2012-01-18 2:55 PM

User image

Champion
I've been very curious about the 5-finger shoes - I'm anti-shoe generally, but since that's frowned upon in my job, I wear flip flops and no-frills ballet flats year round. Want!

2012-01-18 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Jamie-brother, I feel your pain about swimming.  I showed up at my pool, Total Immersion drills in hand, and proceeded to splash/thrash most of the water out of the pool.  But slowly, oh so slowly, I got a wee bit better.  Make your short term goals realistic and achievable; What will you accomplish in your NEXT workout?  Swim a 100 nonstop?  Swim 25 and feel like you might have 'got it' for just a few strokes.  Swimming is very much like golf.  Very technique driven.  However, any 'ol duffer (like me) can hit the links and shoot in the 90s.  But somewhere in that round of gold, you'll hit a GREAT shot.  That's when you'll stop and say "Hey, I get it...I can do this".   Look for those moments in your swimming.  Sometimes it flashes, and disappears, in a sec.  But recognize the moment and make it a template for your further growth.  Keep Swimming!....oh, my, that was the ramblings of an old man.  

Kristen-I got the VFFs as a gift, so I don't know if I would've bought them for myself, but I do LOVE them.  My son has the Adidas Adpure and he loves his as well.  I'm really more of a convert of the midfoot/forefoot strike and zero offset shoe design.  It has helped me with nagging calf injuries and tight periformas.   All the great things you love about being barefoot with none of the drawbacks. 

2012-01-18 6:05 PM

User image

Regular
NWA
Jamhuff---I feel the same way about the pool swims. I didn't even learn to freestyle until this past summer. I started with the buoy so I could become more comfortable in the buoyancy department. Even when it's just me and the lifeguards I am nervous that they're watching me 1) struggle to breathe, 2) how much water I swallow, 3) my flailing arms which drives me crooked, 4) how high I lift my head out of the water...and the thing I hate most...how I can't pull myself out of the pool without a ladder. Meaning I have to swim to where a ladder is...and I never get an end lane!!!So, I feet our pain. Did I mention all the adorable cute female coeds that swim/play in the pool with their summer beach bikini. Talk about making a girl self-conscious! I know other females are harder on my body than males! But-after swimming in the pool more often and on a consistent basis...the worries are lessening...still not ideal. Keep your head down and your arms flailing...it will get better and easier. I can't wait to train in open water where no one sees me except my friends! I'm sorry about that obnoxious human being you heard...that does make it tough...but, everyone had to start somewhere, right??Go get 'Em goonie!
2012-01-18 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
I totally understand the swim stress - it's tough.

One thing I did was take adult swim lessons at the Y. It gave me some confidence to thrash around in front of someone who could save me if necessary. Plus they were really early on Saturday morning, so the hot bodies and the noodle ladies (water aerobic grannies) weren't around.

I could "swim" before I took them, so they worked with me on breathing and smoothness.

Just an idea. (Maybe I should take another round of lessons to get over my current swim block...)
2012-01-18 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3995127

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-17 12:58 PM

Well it's Tuesday and two days post half mary...  Need to get back to work.  Going to hit the bike tonight for about an hour and then a two mile run. 

Question - now that I have committed to completing my first half IM this fall, what training plan would everyone recommend and when to start the official training?  What about a good base building plan from now til I start ramping up for some olys this summer?  I have looked at the free ones on here and they seem good, but not sure... 

I will also need to get some pointers on swim workouts...  I always just jump in the pool and start swiming freestyle with nothing esle for the whole time.  Besides cutting weight, I feel I can really benefit from getting better in the swim and my running.   

Joey

The free beginner HIM plan is a decent plan to get you to the finish line of a HIM.  If I remember correctly it is a little high on the swim volume so you might want to modify it a bit to spend less time on the swim and more time on the bike.

As far as swim workouts...if I ever manage to get myself in the pool I use Swim Workouts in Binder by Gale Bernhardt.  There is one that is geared towards triathletes.  The books is waterproof so you can have it next to you on the deck.  It keeps me focused and working hard and relieves me of the burden of having to write my own workouts.

2012-01-18 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3997531

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-01-18 1:52 PM

WOW!  I don't know if the term is "Snowing Buckets" or "Raining Snowballs", but it is snowing like CRAZY in Boise.  Dry as a bone at 0630, now there are several inches on theground and coming down HARD.  Welcome Mr. Winter.  Time to brake out the XC skis.

Great Swim yesterday.  If you haven't heard of/used Mr. SwimSmooth, I highly recommend it.  It's a FREE, on-line, visual swim training aid.  I still need some professional lessons, but this program really makes you aware of your weak areas, so you can begin to address them.

"Time Crunched Triathlete".....yep, that's me.  I've heard that book mentioned several times on BT.  I'm gonna see if my library has a copy.

I'm gonna throw out an unsolicited 'plug' for Vibram Five Fingers, actually any of the barefoot running shoes can be included.  I'm am completely digging these things and I can honestly say my legs/feet are better because of them.  Might not be for everyone and I'm well aware of alot of marketing hype floated around about the whole "barefoot" craze, but I like mine.  Just my .02.

With all this snow, looks like an afternoon in the man-cave gym.  Enjoy your day, everyone.

Have fun with all that snow.  I hear shoveling is a great workout.

2012-01-18 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

"I make my weaknesses my strengths and my strengths stronger." - Lisa Fernandez (3x olympic softball champ)

This quote popped up on my twitter timeline today.  I really like the "never stop working to improve" mentality of it.

2012-01-18 7:32 PM

Middle Tennessee

Here is where you can say - "She really doesn't know how to ride her bike..." shakes head.  

I was looking at Spinervals, since I am a cold weather whimp, who has no cycling clothing on top of that.  

The free workout of the week is this:

Spinervals Key:
Bg = Big front chain ring
Sm = Small front chain ring
15 or other number = indicated cog on rear sprocket cluster
Sec. Rest = recovery phase; soft pedaling 
Rpm = Revolutions per Minute/cadence
LTHR = Lactate Threshold Heart Rate

What does it mean?????

Actually what I can't figure out is the "indicated cog on rear sprocket cluster"

I have determined that I have a Shimano Tiagra CS-HG50 9 Speed Cassette,  how does that translate to the numbers in the chart?

2012-01-18 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3998444

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

The number refers to the number of teeth on the cog (or is it called a sprocket?).  For your cassette - the smallest has 12 the largest has 25.  I couldn't find a chart that listed the in-betweens but I'll look at a few more sites and see what I can see.

edited to add: I think I found it...

12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 17 - 19 - 21 - 23 - 25

Edited by esc 2012-01-18 7:43 PM
2012-01-18 10:08 PM

Middle Tennessee
Thanks Emily! That was so helpful!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23