Other Resources Challenge Me! » MAY "You MAY Pick" Challenge--ALL WELCOME! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-05-08 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4197343

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: MAY "You MAY Pick" Challenge--ALL WELCOME!
TriAya - 2012-05-08 11:55 AM

ironultrared - 2012-05-08 11:40 PM I'm hesitant to add my goals - the tattoo kind of depends on artist availability.  And post-ironman slump, well...  I just don't want to make my team lose.

You could set the tattoo goal to looking for artists and securing a spot ... or some achievable goal that takes some effort on your part.

As for post-IM slump, that's okay, just join one of the Shark teams Tongue out

If we can help you get through post IM slump by your setting some realistic goals and looking forward to them, that might be good ...

Heh, there are no slackers on the Shark teams.  MAMA SHARK will see to that!!

2012-05-08 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4197343

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-05-08 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4196764

Master
bzgl40 - 2012-05-08 6:35 AM

hum, I am not sure my ice cream goal makes sense in the context of this challenge cause it means the team suffers if I surpass my goal and eat less then two servings per week.  Stop laughing, it could happen. 

ice cream    8    things    3

Seems like your goal is really 23 days (31days of May-8 allowed icecream servings) without ice cream right?  SO enter 23 as a goal and everyday you have no ice cream, tally it up by one.  That wa if you have 24 daya without ice cream, your team gets the bonus.

Cynthia

2012-05-08 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4184704

Extreme Veteran

So, I've tweaked my goals a bit. And, with apologies to the other Great White Sharks, I might be that dweeb who brings everyone down, because one of my goals is to get a new job this month. I'll spare you the long story, but I've been in 2 dead-end, temporary, low-wage, no-benefits jobs for about 2 years now since finishing my master's. I was recently rejected from what was to be a shoe-in job opportunity at my current place of employment, and I've decided that I've got to get out of this town (in east TN) once and for all (we've been threatening to move for the last 2 years, not coincidentally). 

So, I am going to do the footwork to get a job elsewhere. We are looking at the Asheville, NC area, because I am from NC, we love NC, the biking and running are great over there, and my hubby could feasibly keep his job for a while and still only have a 1-hour commute (yuck but doable for up to a year). 

So, back to the goals, this one's a longshot, but if it gives the nudge to at least apply for many jobs, get an apartment in the area, or take some real step towards moving on, I will be happy. 

The other goal, I've upped my swim sessions to 15. That will be 3 sessions most weeks and 4 the others. I have in the past been an "if I get in the pool once I week I'm going good" triathlete. And my swim has remained lackluster for 10 years. As I get faster in the bike and run, I don't want my swim to hold me back anymore, so this will certainly help. 

Any encouragement and feedback (read: kick in the butt) welcome! 

2012-05-08 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4197713

Melon Presser
Shop Cat - 2012-05-09 2:05 AM

So, I've tweaked my goals a bit. And, with apologies to the other Great White Sharks, I might be that dweeb who brings everyone down, because one of my goals is to get a new job this month. I'll spare you the long story, but I've been in 2 dead-end, temporary, low-wage, no-benefits jobs for about 2 years now since finishing my master's. I was recently rejected from what was to be a shoe-in job opportunity at my current place of employment, and I've decided that I've got to get out of this town (in east TN) once and for all (we've been threatening to move for the last 2 years, not coincidentally). 

So, I am going to do the footwork to get a job elsewhere. We are looking at the Asheville, NC area, because I am from NC, we love NC, the biking and running are great over there, and my hubby could feasibly keep his job for a while and still only have a 1-hour commute (yuck but doable for up to a year). 

So, back to the goals, this one's a longshot, but if it gives the nudge to at least apply for many jobs, get an apartment in the area, or take some real step towards moving on, I will be happy. 

The other goal, I've upped my swim sessions to 15. That will be 3 sessions most weeks and 4 the others. I have in the past been an "if I get in the pool once I week I'm going good" triathlete. And my swim has remained lackluster for 10 years. As I get faster in the bike and run, I don't want my swim to hold me back anymore, so this will certainly help. 

Instead of all-or-nothing, you could reward yourself (and your teammates) by maybe setting your goal as certain number of hours job searching, or certain number of positions you apply to?

2012-05-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: #4197713

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Shop Cat - 2012-05-08 1:05 PM

Asheville is awesome!  I started my college career in Brevard, NC getting my Associates in Wilderness Ed.  LOVE that area!!!  I actually miss seeing the white squirrels!  

If you complete your goals I will seriously sport this on my bike helmet in my next tri in your honor!  

I will totally take one for the team, although humiliating myself is something I do everyday, so either way! 

2012-05-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4197779

Extreme Veteran
ecozenmama - 2012-05-08 1:20 PM

Asheville is awesome!  I started my college career in Brevard, NC getting my Associates in Wilderness Ed.  LOVE that area!!!  I actually miss seeing the white squirrels!  

If you complete your goals I will seriously sport this on my bike helmet in my next tri in your honor!  

I will totally take one for the team, although humiliating myself is something I do everyday, so either way! 

Right on! Will the swan actually be on top of your helmet, wearing a crown? That would seriously impact my motivation to actually move!

2012-05-08 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4197786

Expert
Shop Cat - 2012-05-08 1:22 PM
ecozenmama - 2012-05-08 1:20 PM

Right on! Will the swan actually be on top of your helmet, wearing a crown? That would seriously impact my motivation to actually move!

ABSOLUTELY!! 

2012-05-08 1:39 PM

Coastal Carolina
So far so good for me this month 7 days in a row training, I haven't weighed myself since beginning of the month but I've been eating well. Will update tomorrow so that'll kick it up for the manatees! Plus Allen has been insulting/motivating Salty very well lately.
2012-05-08 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4197845

Melon Presser

Tripopo - 2012-05-09 2:39 AM So far so good for me this month 7 days in a row training, I haven't weighed myself since beginning of the month but I've been eating well. Will update tomorrow so that'll kick it up for the manatees! Plus Allen has been insulting/motivating Salty very well lately.

He's good at that, not like he really needs the practice, but perhaps Salty does ... she needs to bone up on her British terms to keep us all rolling in the aisles, er, swim lanes!

2012-05-08 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4197845

Seattle

Tripopo - 2012-05-08 1:39 PM So far so good for me this month 7 days in a row training, I haven't weighed myself since beginning of the month but I've been eating well. Will update tomorrow so that'll kick it up for the manatees! Plus Allen has been insulting/motivating Salty very well lately.

I'm still trying to figure out where the /motivating comes in to play? 

2012-05-08 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4198195

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-05-09 4:47 AM

Tripopo - 2012-05-08 1:39 PM So far so good for me this month 7 days in a row training, I haven't weighed myself since beginning of the month but I've been eating well. Will update tomorrow so that'll kick it up for the manatees! Plus Allen has been insulting/motivating Salty very well lately.

Apparently in his book "I hope the old trout socks it to them" has elements of both insult and motivation.

Also, maybe "old trout" means something in British-ese that you could uselessly learn.

2012-05-08 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4198203

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-05-08 3:49 PM

Apparently in his book "I hope the old trout socks it to them" has elements of both insult and motivation.

Also, maybe "old trout" means something in British-ese that you could uselessly learn.

Yes, I counted this. After he called me one I proceeded to look it up. Make that 3 "useless" vocabulary words I've got in the book from the "lad" 

2012-05-08 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4198232

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2012-05-09 5:03 AM
TriAya - 2012-05-08 3:49 PM

Yes, I counted this. After he called me one I proceeded to look it up. Make that 3 "useless" vocabulary words I've got in the book from the "lad" 

You should start calling him Tadpole.

What were the other two?

2012-05-08 5:19 PM

Elite
Cleveland
I have a challenge for myself: Complete the HM that I signed up for on May 20th.

When I signed up for it, I had plenty of time to prepare and get the running in and I was doing Ok working toward it, but then my run training was wiped out at the start of March by Achilles' injuries, and I've only been back to running since Apr 15th. I'd lost most of my run fitness and am trying to bring my distances back up, but it's just not going to happen fast enough. The farthest I've ever run at this point is a 10k, and that was just a few days ago.

I will in no way be properly prepared for that run, but I'm going to go into it and just maintain a slow, steady pace and finish it without walking.
2012-05-08 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4198405

Melon Presser

cgregg - 2012-05-09 6:19 AM I have a challenge for myself: Complete the HM that I signed up for on May 20th. When I signed up for it, I had plenty of time to prepare and get the running in and I was doing Ok working toward it, but then my run training was wiped out at the start of March by Achilles' injuries, and I've only been back to running since Apr 15th. I'd lost most of my run fitness and am trying to bring my distances back up, but it's just not going to happen fast enough. The farthest I've ever run at this point is a 10k, and that was just a few days ago. I will in no way be properly prepared for that run, but I'm going to go into it and just maintain a slow, steady pace and finish it without walking.

Hi Sneaky Gregg! (oooh ... you just snuck in here too)

All well and good to challenge yourself in whatever manner you see fit ... however, for the purposes of this Challenge, the rules are (as per the first post):

For this May 2012, challenge, you MAY pick any two activities (any more than that will make my head explode). They have to be quantifiable (distance, hours, sessions, etc.) They do not have to be triathlon or even sports related.

Examples: 12,000m swimming, 300mi biking
                10 sessions yoga, 240 hours sleep (I think that may be mine)
                31 pages journaling, 20 hours running
                  8 pounds to lose, 9 physical therapy sessions

Technically the deadline to join this Challenge was yesterday, but I wouldn't refuse anyone who wants to join in, challenge himself, and contribute. If you still want to do so, here are the instructions (and consider gradated goals so that they're not all-or-nothing, win/lose, 100%/0% propositions):

Go to this link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7ZkKfHG1L1dDlZSkhxOWxWbHBjRTFtYjI0U0lNMmc

And fill in your goals as per those already signed up. If you have any questions, post here or PM me!

Please finalize your goals by May 7 (ignore that). After that you can change your goals UP but please post or PM me if you are going to change them DOWN as a result of illness, unnamed but important circumstance, withdrawing from challenge, etc.

If you are a MANATEE (in the Manatee mentor group) please put your name under the MANATEES. (Anyone is welcome to be an honorary Manatee for the purposes of this challenge, too! However, the SHARK teams currently have fewer members)

If you are not a Manatee, please select one of the SHARK teams to be on.

Thank you!

2012-05-08 8:47 PM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Hey what's up? Not much chatter here today....
2012-05-08 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4198730

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

We're all working on our goals so we can crush you great whites.  

I started to read a Chinese article yesterday, got most of the way through it without understanding even the general topic, finally figured out a few key words ("Philippines," not "illegal army"), took a break, and never went back to it.  Hopefully today will be better.  At least I got my strength training in!

2012-05-08 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4198747

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
dossheepos - 2012-05-08 9:56 PM

I started to read a Chinese article yesterday, got most of the way through it without understanding even the general topic, finally figured out a few key words ("Philippines," not "illegal army"), took a break, and never went back to it.  Hopefully today will be better.  At least I got my strength training in!

I think you are mistaken, the Great White Sharks are gonna chew up the squishy manatees and those  beagle sharks.

And my logs are current....as is the spreadsheet.

Edited by QueenZipp 2012-05-08 9:05 PM
2012-05-08 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4198764

Expert
QueenZipp - 2012-05-08 9:04 PM
dossheepos - 2012-05-08 9:56 PM

I think you are mistaken, the Great White Sharks are gonna chew up the squishy manatees and those  beagle sharks.

And my logs are current....as is the spreadsheet.

Mine too!  I added another mile with my kiddo today, and have a long ride tomorrow as well as this weekend!  I plan on crushing this before the end of the month! Oh and if Kit gets her motivation, I will seriously humiliate myself for her!  Go great whites!! 

2012-05-08 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4198498

Elite
Cleveland
TriAya - 2012-05-08 7:11 PM

Hi Sneaky Gregg! (oooh ... you just snuck in here too)

All well and good to challenge yourself in whatever manner you see fit ... however, for the purposes of this Challenge, the rules are (as per the first post):

For this May 2012, challenge, you MAY pick any two activities (any more than that will make my head explode). They have to be quantifiable (distance, hours, sessions, etc.)

Yes, I'm still sneaky, lol!

Gotcha! Sorry, I missed that part... was just thinking about the fact that I have that HM coming and thought putting it here would be a good way to challenge/motivate/keep myself on track :-)

So, I've amended my goals to be 8 run sessions and 60 miles. I know that this is for the month, but for me that is my goal to have completed before the 20th.... and I'm a Black Tip Reef Shark

2012-05-08 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4198195

Master
Central Kansas

Good evening. Another cupcake free day. Hooray.

I'll weigh myself on Friday. Wish me luck.

2012-05-08 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4198848

Master
KansasMom - 2012-05-08 8:12 PM

Good evening. Another cupcake free day. Hooray.

I'll weigh myself on Friday. Wish me luck.

Good luck!

I am pretty much on track for my goals.  I checked out a program my city is putting on, where they give you paint and you use it to paint fishies by the water drains.  That should take up a few days of service! 

2012-05-08 11:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
South Lake Tahoe, Ca.

Put in my long ride this morning. 80+ miles. That should help out the Reefers!

Thanks TriAya for the challenge thread and doing the spreadsheet. I needed this. I was starting to slack a little (mentally) and I don't need that right now with a century race next month. This is a good focus.

2012-05-09 1:57 AM
in reply to: #4198919

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Cagolddigger - 2012-05-09 12:56 PM

Put in my long ride this morning. 80+ miles. That should help out the Reefers!

Thanks TriAya for the challenge thread and doing the spreadsheet. I needed this. I was starting to slack a little (mentally) and I don't need that right now with a century race next month. This is a good focus.

Nice!  Come on, Reefers, we need to step up our game or we'll be eaten by the Great Whites.

I finished (and understood) a Chinese article today, and I definitely plan to get a strength session in before I go to bed tonight.  

Let's do this!

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » MAY "You MAY Pick" Challenge--ALL WELCOME! Rss Feed  

of 14