BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-05-18 3:07 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod

Thanks for all the good luck wishes, and good luck to everyone else racing this weekend!

I would SO rock a manatee racing shirt.  Just sayin'!   Love the pic Salty added; does that say manatee pale ale?!?  Nice!

2012-05-18 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4217253

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jmkizer - 2012-05-18 1:33 PM

Good luck Racing Manatees!  (Hey, if the reviews for Squido were better, I'd say we should have a Racing Manatee top made.  Sadly, the reviews kinda suck.)

• Melanie - Got the Nerve? Tri on Saturday
  • Keye -  Sprint on Saturday?  (he's undecided)
  • Kristen - Run for the Dream half marathon is on her calendar for Sunday
  • Kate - Auburn Sprint on Sunday
  • Adrienne - Rock n Roll Portland Half Marathon Sunday
  • Kirk -  Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series race this Sunday
  • Kirsten - race on Monday (Victoria Day!)

Go Manatees!  Go!

Represent!!!  We're all with ya!

2012-05-18 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4217316

User image

Seattle
melbo55 - 2012-05-18 3:07 PM

Thanks for all the good luck wishes, and good luck to everyone else racing this weekend!

I would SO rock a manatee racing shirt.  Just sayin'!   Love the pic Salty added; does that say manatee pale ale?!?  Nice!

You know it! Smile

2012-05-18 4:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
jmkizer - 2012-05-18 2:33 PM

Good luck Racing Manatees!  (Hey, if the reviews for Squido were better, I'd say we should have a Racing Manatee top made.  Sadly, the reviews kinda suck.)

Go Manatees!  Go!

Wow, another weekend of manatee madness!  Good luck everybody.  I am incredibly jealous of you all - I haven't raced since 4/1 and have nothing on tap for the foreseeable future.    Oh well, at least I can live vicariously through you all.

2012-05-18 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4217269

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Asalzwed - 2012-05-18 3:43 PM

I always appreciate Janyne's "Race-Roundup" on Fridays, thank you. Smile

GOOOOOOOOOO MANATEES!

X2

Gooooooooo all you Mad racing Manatees!!!
2012-05-18 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4216422

User image

Elite
TriAya - 2012-05-18 7:43 AM

Ceilidh I know ... that is the username of one of my closest friends here on BT, who witnessed firsthand the creation of the {MELON PRESS}. Actually that's her dog's name.

Oy vey. Things are very not good here. From my blog:

[insert every swear word in every language]

x100

Come to Jakarta to find that no one in the hospital has been taking care of my mom the last three days. They're not regularly checking her temperature and vital signs; they're not trying to control her fever; they're not paying attention to her pain; nearly 90% of the tests, procedures, care and medication they claimed to have given her never actually happened.

Nurses refuse to let me have access to any of my mom's information, test results, or files. I make a scene and throw them the business card of the National Chief of Police (my uncle). They hand it over.

Spend the afternoon there taking care of my mom MYSELF--I found her with her limbs tied to the bed with strips of a ripped-up bedsheet, and with a fever between 104 and 105, she's bundled up in socks, gowns, sheets and blankets. No one has noticed that her IV is pouring solution into her skin, creating a big painful bruised bubble. Finally I just start ordering tests, ordering doctors, ordering medications, ordering routine care.

That's the short version.

Then I come back to the house.

Nobody's fed the dog for three days and she's been left out in the rain. Her water bowl is slime and rainwater. Her food bowl is green slime with rainwater. She's shivering, coughing, and has pus coming out of her eyes.

Then I talk to my dad, whose comment on everything is, "Your mother doesn't have it as bad as I do. She should not be a burden to me by being sick like this."

We have TEN staff at the house, including two maids, and no one had prepared my room (yes I called in advance) and when I got back from the hospital, no sign of dinner anywhere.

Awesome.

It's back to figuring out who to beat, who to fire, and who to murder.

I cooked and served myself dinner and am running a hot bath. Then it's back to the hospital to throw staff out the fourth-story windows.

What's scary is ... there isn't a better hospital here. And as bad as this one is, it's less than a kilometer from the house. Anywhere else would be impossible to get to in Jakarta traffic.

WTF!!! GET HER AND YOU THE F**K OUT OF THERE!!! ASAP.  Surely there is somewhere else you can ship her to.  Barbaric, tying her to the bed - what is this Henry VIII????? 

You need to make a plan Yanti, ignore your dad, my mum is the same, when my dad is sick it's all about how it's affecting her...its their generation and their nature.

Firstly make sure you are treating yourself properly - don' get sicker.

Second - if you can't get her out of the hospital then you are going to have to practically move in to make sure they do the right things by her.

Third - give the dog some antibiotics for pus-sy eyes.

Jeez, lots of prayers, thoughts and whatever else you need coming your way!

2012-05-18 6:53 PM

User image

Elite

Yanti - Singapore sounds like an oasis.  Do it, overrule your dad - it's what's best for your mum losing control - yeah whatever, it's hard but he will get used to it especially if she gets better.

Weekend plans - well it's raining so I'll take the long run today.  Program says 2 hours, I say let's do 20km which for me is 2 hours 30 at a reasonable run/walk pace.  I have to do 30min on the trainer first though, awesome.

Going to a party tonight, a friend I made at swim squad so isn't that just one of the many benefits of triathlon!

Sunday - long ride day, gotta do 3 hours but again I want to tackle 90km though I'm thinking if I do 90, i may as well go the century!  Yay!  Then 20min run after that.

Sunday afternoon, glued to the couch I think with a beer or a wine and some take out food.  That's the way we like our weekends!

2012-05-18 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Go Manatees!  Go!

Good luck this weekend everyone.  I think I'll have some Special K for breakfast tomorrow in the AM in honor of those competing.

2012-05-19 12:35 AM

User image

Master

Ok, Salty, here ya go.  The gentleman is a longtime family friend who was ECSTATIC that he won the raffle.  The lovely lady is the groomer at my work who 'cleaned things up' after the hatchet job Laughing.  This was all being done on the back patio of the pub where I was having my fundraiser.

Edited by bcraht 2012-05-19 12:39 AM

(IMG_1198.JPG)

(IMG_1203.JPG)

(IMG_1208.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1198.JPG (66KB - 3 downloads)
IMG_1203.JPG (66KB - 5 downloads)
IMG_1208.JPG (57KB - 6 downloads)
2012-05-19 12:53 AM
in reply to: #4217472

User image

Master
amd723 - 2012-05-18 2:45 PM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Wow, another weekend of manatee madness!  Good luck everybody.  I am incredibly jealous of you all - I haven't raced since 4/1 and have nothing on tap for the foreseeable future.    Oh well, at least I can live vicariously through you all.

Ann-Marie, since you have been swimming so much lately, you can just bring all that work vicariously over to me for my race.  I'll run for ya, and we can bike together.  Or I can double you if need be!  (And if you are jealous, that must mean you are getting your mojo back Smile)

2012-05-19 5:32 AM
in reply to: #4217846

User image

Master
Orlando
bcraht - 2012-05-19 12:53 AM
amd723 - 2012-05-18 2:45 PM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Ann-Marie, since you have been swimming so much lately, you can just bring all that work vicariously over to me for my race.  I'll run for ya, and we can bike together.  Or I can double you if need be!  (And if you are jealous, that must mean you are getting your mojo back Smile)

Deal! You're right about my mojo - it has come back, but now I don't have anything to do with it!

2012-05-19 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
jmkizer - 2012-05-18 3:33 PM

Go Manatees!  Go!

Go Manatees!!!   As we say in the Michigan Forum, RAWK IT OUT!!!! 

2012-05-19 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Our Manatee group sure is facing all sorts of challenges, whether it is triathlons, running, frustration, illness, family issues, etc..  I have to say thank you all so much!!  This group has blended together so well.  I have been in many mentor groups and this one is becoming like a big family.  

Yanti-I hope you get your mom the care she needs soon.  As a medical professional, this type of negligence and mistreatment makes me sick. It makes me even sicker that health care is not available to everyone, everywhere.  You are a woman of AMAZING strength and that strength is being tested with the weight of the world on your shoulders. 

TJ-So sorry to hear about your niece.  I will keep her in my prayers. 

I actually have some good news, sort of.  We have been dealing with a issue with my youngest daughter.  We almost lost her last Friday.  I received a phone call from the police that she was not breathing and they were taking her to the ER across town. By the time I got to the ER, she was awake, by the grace of God.  She spent some time in an ICU and then was eventually transferred to another hospital, for her own protection.  She came home yesterday and though it is wonderful to have her home, I am scared for her.  Her issues have been the result of an evil boyfriend.  She has told him that there can be no more communication and no relationship.  From texts that he is still sending, and calls to the house, he is not accepting that well.  I laid awake last night, praying that my dogs are good enough watch dogs.   I had the phone right by me,in case I had to call 911.  I feel like we will end up being one of the news stories you hear on the 11pm news about the boyfriend that came over and slaughtered the whole family.  My first marriage was evil.  This is scarier.  This time I am scared for my child and that is so much worse.  It took everything in me to leave for 4 days to go to Big Sur and do something for myself.  Since I have been home, my existence has been here.  I feel I need to protect my family and my home.  Training will not resume until I can feel comfortable leaving the house for more than work or even losing focus for a short while.  I feel like a mother bear protecting her cub. The police officer that was on the scene last Friday told me to take her to another country, change our names, and not leave a forwarding address.  He said that is what he would do if it was one of his 4 daughters.  Unfortunately, my daughter is 20 and an adult so I have no power. I have to trust that she will make the right decisions and be strong enough to protect herself. Nonetheless, I am happy that she is alive and home.

Thanks for listening.  Needless to say, I am praying all the time.  Bring it!  If you need prayers for anything, my list is infinite.  There is nothing better that I can do with my time right now than pray. 

2012-05-19 9:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Jo, my heart goes out to you. People can do whatever to me, but screw with my kids and feel the wrath. We went through some challenges wih our eldest, but she has grown and really taken control of her life. I really do feel for you. And the power of prayer is infinite, so I will keep you in mine.
2012-05-19 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4217844

User image

Seattle
bcraht - 2012-05-19 12:35 AM

Ok, Salty, here ya go.  The gentleman is a longtime family friend who was ECSTATIC that he won the raffle.  The lovely lady is the groomer at my work who 'cleaned things up' after the hatchet job Laughing.  This was all being done on the back patio of the pub where I was having my fundraiser.

wow! That is just amazing. Amazingly selfless and amazingly beautiful! I love this.
2012-05-19 10:00 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Jo- I agree with the officer, go somewhere else as soon as possible. I'm assuming he will be facing charges so my advice is to go until he gets arrested at the very least, and then be as vocal as you can about keeping him locked up, no bail/bond until the trial, which if y'all are anything like us time to trial might be over a year. Get your daughter into a self defense class ASAP and consider a gun. If you don't think you could use one if necessary though, which some can't and you have to decide that for yourself don't get one or have one in the house. I say this as a police officer because only some of the most extreme or violent situations would I ever give the advice you received and that extreme of advice we don't give easily.

2012-05-19 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4218027

User image

Master
Orlando
jogo - 2012-05-19 9:05 AM

Our Manatee group sure is facing all sorts of challenges, whether it is triathlons, running, frustration, illness, family issues, etc..  I have to say thank you all so much!!  This group has blended together so well.  I have been in many mentor groups and this one is becoming like a big family.  

Yanti-I hope you get your mom the care she needs soon.  As a medical professional, this type of negligence and mistreatment makes me sick. It makes me even sicker that health care is not available to everyone, everywhere.  You are a woman of AMAZING strength and that strength is being tested with the weight of the world on your shoulders. 

I actually have some good news, sort of.  We have been dealing with a issue with my youngest daughter.  We almost lost her last Friday.  I received a phone call from the police that she was not breathing and they were taking her to the ER across town. By the time I got to the ER, she was awake, by the grace of God.  She spent some time in an ICU and then was eventually transferred to another hospital, for her own protection.  She came home yesterday and though it is wonderful to have her home, I am scared for her.  Her issues have been the result of an evil boyfriend.  She has told him that there can be no more communication and no relationship.  From texts that he is still sending, and calls to the house, he is not accepting that well.  I laid awake last night, praying that my dogs are good enough watch dogs.   I had the phone right by me,in case I had to call 911.  I feel like we will end up being one of the news stories you hear on the 11pm news about the boyfriend that came over and slaughtered the whole family.  My first marriage was evil.  This is scarier.  This time I am scared for my child and that is so much worse.  It took everything in me to leave for 4 days to go to Big Sur and do something for myself.  Since I have been home, my existence has been here.  I feel I need to protect my family and my home.  Training will not resume until I can feel comfortable leaving the house for more than work or even losing focus for a short while.  I feel like a mother bear protecting her cub. The police officer that was on the scene last Friday told me to take her to another country, change our names, and not leave a forwarding address.  He said that is what he would do if it was one of his 4 daughters.  Unfortunately, my daughter is 20 and an adult so I have no power. I have to trust that she will make the right decisions and be strong enough to protect herself. Nonetheless, I am happy that she is alive and home.

Thanks for listening.  Needless to say, I am praying all the time.  Bring it!  If you need prayers for anything, my list is infinite.  There is nothing better that I can do with my time right now than pray. 

I'm so sorry you and your family have to deal with this problem.  Has your daughter considered getting an injunction (restraining order) against her boyfriend?  A piece of paper will not deter a person intent on contacting someone, but in most states any contact (including texts or asking others to contact her for him) would violate the injunction and be cause for arrest.  Of course, you also have to consider whether the injunction will just make him more angry and, therefore, more dangerous.  Whatever she decides, I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.  Good luck and stay strong.

ETA:  I'm assuming that he has not been arrested and/or is not facing arrest based for your daughter's injury.  If he was arrested, the contact he is having should violate the terms of his release from jail.  I would immediately contact the state attorney/district attorney to let them know of this contact; they should be able to get his bond revoked which means he would be sent back to jail with no bond (so he has to stay in jail).  If he has not been arrested, but one is forthcoming I would make sure that the police know about this contact so they can request either a higher bond or no bond when he is arrested.  In most states, your daughter should be contacted in advance of any hearings regarding the status of the bond (his attempt to get a lower one, so he can get out of jail) and she would be entitled to testify about why he should not get out of jail pending trial.

I hope the above is not too confusing, let me know if you have any questions.  I am a former prosecutor and am currently an attorney for a big law enforcement agency so I have a bit of experience in this area.

Edited by amd723 2012-05-19 10:35 AM
2012-05-19 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4218027

User image

Master
jogo - 2012-05-19 7:05 AM

Holy sh*t.  I am so sorry you are dealing with that Jo.  What a scary situation.  The thing that I hate in these type of cases--why is it always the victim who should 'leave the country'?  I understand the officer is trying to help you protect your daughter but what the heII is wrong with the system when they can't throw these guys in jail when they almost kill someone???  I will keep you and my daughter in my prayers.

2012-05-19 1:14 PM

User image

Seattle
Oh Jo, I'm so sorry! I hate that you don't feel safe in your own space. Do whatever is necessary to keep your family safe!
2012-05-19 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4217147

User image

England
melbo55 - 2012-05-18 7:31 PM
rrrunner - 2012-05-18 1:33 PM

Oh, I meant to ask you all about something.  At the "risk" of adding to everyone's already lengthy prayer list... my beautiful 24 year old niece (lives in Salina, KS for you Kansicans) was diagnosed with lymphoma on Wednesday.  Like so many of us, I know way too many people who have battled cancer, some won, some fought valiantly until the end.  I've lost 2 family members in the last two years to cancer, one was leukemia, one was lung cancer (he was the niece's uncle, passed last week). So I am considering doing a Team In Training event.  I went to a meeting after my cousin passed a few months ago.  I'm unsure (nervous) about the fundraising but right now feel a strong desire to DO SOMETHING!  Anyone done or know someone who did?  What are your thoughts?

Thanks for listening. I might ask in COJ but feel so comfortable with y'all.

Prayers to your niece.  How shocking.  I am doing the Rev3 Half Full (the Olympic distance) in October with Team Fight, which is the name of the group who fundraises for the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults.  Just throwing that out there as another alternative to Team in Training.  I need to work on my fundraising for that, have some money raised, but need to do more.  I like the ideas Claire gave, may need to 'steal' them!

I had the Mad Manatees with me at the pool last night.  Thought of Yanti and her 'crushing the box' analogy to keep my stroke in line, thought of Jo and her awesome swim workouts, and - here's the really funny one - heard Herman's Hermits singing 'Henry the Eighth' on the pool's sound system and thought of ALLEN!  And then of course the song managed to wedge itself into my head for the rest of the night and into today. "Second verse, same as the first!"

Tomorrow is my first sprint of the season, can't wait!!

firstly, the guy who runs the sound system at your pool needs sacking.

Secondly, i get linked with Hermans Hermits........seriously???? I'm way too cool for that.

I hope.

i really, really, hope.

Thirdly, have a great race tommorrow.

Hermans hermits, honestly. I would have thought Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters perhaps..........

2012-05-19 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4216834

User image

England

Asalzwed - 2012-05-18 5:05 PM Yanti, who's azz do I need to kick. No one messes with my co-mentor/hottie lover/sister from anotha-motha (don't think about that too hard)!

If you need back up, i'm there for you (both)

2012-05-19 3:54 PM

User image

England
maybe Nirvana,
2012-05-19 3:57 PM
in reply to: #4217121

User image

England
crews - 2012-05-18 7:18 PM

Asalzwed - 2012-05-18 12:33 PM Alright my MAD MANATEES, what great things are you all going to do this weekend?

Taking the kiddo to a free tri clinic Sat. morning to practice for his first tri which is on June 2nd. 

Other than that, I have to work all weekend  I teach lifeguard classes in the spring.  I don't like giving up my weekends, but I do love the extra cash.

that is so cool, i hope my little one gets into this brilliant sport

2012-05-19 4:05 PM

User image

Coastal Carolina
Ok need POD advice for tomorrow- 600 meter OWS wetsuit legal. Yea or Nae and and please show your work. I'm 50-50 honestly my only worry is getting it off fast enough in T1.
2012-05-19 4:10 PM

User image

England
Staind would have been ok
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80