BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2012-12-26 10:38 PM
in reply to: #4549157

Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED

leechj - 2012-12-26 8:54 PM She said yes! talk to you all tomorrow!

It's one of the world's best feelings, isn't it? Many congratulations!

2012-12-26 10:53 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
Congratulations Nate! Was she surprised? Now you have to tell us exactly how you proposed!

My bikes live in the house. Carbon tri bike lives on the trainer. Roadie lives in the formal dining room. Mountain bike stays in the garage. None of the bikes are on hangers. Not that there is anything wrong with hanging them up. I've just always had them on stands.

Blanda, welcome back! Thanks for posting your bio again. I guess I didn't realize you had a daughter at the University. Was your husband home for the holidays?
Look at you with race plan for a 2 mile swim! You should be really proud of your accomplishments! What a long way you've come in just the last year!!

Edited by Catwoman 2012-12-26 11:01 PM
2012-12-26 10:56 PM

User image

New user
2013 Fitness Goals:Half marathon April, Walking this event with my sister.Sprint Tri JuneSprint Tri AugustCentury Ride OctoberI have not done any of these events before.They all involve progress from my current base level of fitness.I have to progress from walking to two miles running (must admit it will largely resemble jogging)I will be jumping in the pool for the first time in a long while for something other than vacation recreation! Y membership acquired so first jump to occur within the next week.I am joining a cycling training group in my area to train for the century ride. This starts up this spring.A year ago I was firmly planted on the couch so all of these are very big leaps for me!
2012-12-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4547057

User image

Calgary, AB
slornow - 2012-12-24 1:58 PM

Scott-I think the current plan with an increase of 10% per week is fine. I would not worry about increasing pace much at this point. Build a solid base and then add speed later. As Nate pointed out in his post yesterday....lots of "easy" running can still make you faster. Many times people think of speed work as doing hard intervals on a track or something similar. It doesn't have to be like that. A set of strides after a run or maybe some short, marginally harder, segments built into the middle of a regular run. This gets the body accustom to running faster without the toll of doing a dedicated "speed" workout. Adding distance or ultimately adding intensity should be done gradually. Over the Winter maybe add a 4th easy run of 20-30 mintues to what you already do. This adds volume/km's to your training without greatly increasing stress on the body. Lots of short frequent runs are easier on the body, from a recovery standpoint, than 2-3 longer runs covering the same total distance. Jason mentioned the BarryP run plan and it is a soild system for building run frequency. 

Man... the solution is "run even more" -- what kind of mentoring group is this anyway?!?  Where's the shortcuts??  Where's the easy way out??

Just kidding -- solid advice and many thanks -- I'll take it (mostly) easy on the pacing for now.  In honor of this advice, I did 35 reasonably easy minutes on the treadmill this evening.  I liked the advice from Experior/Michael (reposted by d3term1ned/Michael) along the lines of "for the vast majority of runs, I should arrive home feeling like I could go out and do the same thing again."  Good benchmark to apply.

Nate -- many congratulations on the engagement!

2012-12-27 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area

Congrats, Nate!

I don't have a Carbon bike but mine also lives in the house. In fact, when I bought it I had no furniture in my living room. My mother was really upset with me for spending money on a bike when I could've bought a couch.

Mary-Don't worry about being slow. I've done 5 HMs and still I find myself running with at the back with the walkers. I'd like to get faster but it's still great to run.

The discussion here has got me thinking about running more frequently as well. I'm not sure about working it in soon because I'm trying to make the bike program my priority but I sat down yesterday and made a tentative plan for spring/summer that involves 6 days of running a week. If I keep the runs short enough I might be able to get up a 1/2 hour earlier to do them. It's possible I'll do something sooner as well but I still have to work that out.

2012-12-27 6:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

On the topic of running, it does seem like the thing I talk about most with non-triathletes. It seems like the only sport most people can relate to, and my #1 piece of advice is always run slower. At least 1/3 of the people who hear what I do say it's bad for me (knees, back, feet, etc.) and I always have to tell them I think a lot of people have a bad impression of running because they go out with that 'Just Do It' attitude and push hard...all the time. Then they tear/strain/pull something, quit running, and then it seems like it's bad for you. I don't try to give people I talk to a lot of athletic advice, because I'm far from an expert, but the only piece of advice I ever give is to run slowly. 

Getting ready to head to my family's house in NC for a few days, but I'm bringing my bike and running shoes! They live in Raleigh, which is where I'm doing the HIM in June, so if I get a chance, I might check out the course a little bit, just for fun.

2012-12-27 6:30 AM
in reply to: #4548706

User image

Master
mtnbikerchk: I've used my mountain bike for all of the road races in 2012. I have no idea how to even sit on a road bike, or hold the handle bars, LOL! I'm going to take the bike out Saturday, without clipins, and give it a go. I have a feeling there will be LOLs for myself and traffic.

Rene: Yes, I have a girl in college! My big girl is halfway through. My husband is back from deployment with a mission to improve his high blood pressure issues with a marathon. I have a feeling he'll be kicking my butt! I'm stoked about 2013. When husband is here, I have time to train properly for things. I just need you guys to help me do it. The swim is something I look forward to. I'm not even going to focus on time. I heard that there were turtle and dolphin sightings on these swims. That's what I'm looking forward too, and the sense of accomplishment!

Got 15 miles of running in yesterday and today. It barely touches the damage I've done since Sunday with the food and drink, but I feel good. Hoping to get the bike out this weekend and at least one swim session. Hard to carve out time with the kids home for Christmas break.

Edited by Blanda 2012-12-27 6:31 AM
2012-12-27 6:39 AM

User image

Master
X2.

Running slower may sound counterproductive but it actually works. Do not tell my coach that I said that!

My number one running tips-
Have good shoes. Make sure they are the right shoe for your foot type and running style. Replace them frequently.
ANY time you have any type of an injury or funny pain- check your shoes first. If you keep having problems then consider switching to a different brand/style of running shoes.

Fall in love with running. Running is a joyful experience and normal movement for our bodies. Run in places that are beautiful and make you happy. Before long you will become addicted to running. It will become your therapy.

2012-12-27 6:48 AM

User image

Expert

I want to thank Stuart for the swimming advice.  I'm always up to trying new things.  I swam 1700 yds last night, all drills.  I had not done the kicking on my back drill for a very long time but after a few laps it got easier as I was better able to balance myself.  I am going to find 2 tennis balls for the fist drill.  I'm feeling the soreness after doing the pool wall pushups. 

I had a friend shoot a video of me swimming laps and one thing that is glaringly obvious is that my legs are all over the place.  I can see where it is costing me lots of speed and wasted energy.  He suggested I use a band around my ankles.  Anyone else have experience with this?  Jim

2012-12-27 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Almost forgot, Congratulations Nate!!!!
2012-12-27 7:14 AM

User image

Master
Ahh band swimming.. Make sure you don't drown.

Actually even with all of my swim flaws swimming with a band is easy. Which probably means I"m used to swimming with my bottom half dragging the pool..

2012-12-27 8:07 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Mary-sounds like a good plan for the year. You have come a long way in the last year...keep it up.....consistency! Seems to be the group mantra. Good job.

Michael/d3-my tri bike lives in the garage on the trainer/rollers. I would treat the frame gently but not be obsessive. I'm sure the frame would do fine hanging on a regular bike rack or even hung from its wheels. Folks use carbon frames for things like cyclocross so should be plenty sturdy.

Jim-I'm going to give the tennis ball thing a go as well. On the ankle band...I've reincorporated it into my swim sessions and use it for both swimming and pull sets.  Make sure the band is tight enough to keep your feet from kicking. I really concentrate on keeping my feet together on the pull sets where the areas just under each big toe are actually touching. Its tough and when swimming without the buoy makes you really keep your chest down in the water to keep your legs/feet from sinking. I also find that if I engage my core and increase my stroke speed it helps as well.

Blanda-you will do great on the road bike. With all of your time on the mountain bike you will have solid bike handling skills that will transfer over onto the roadie. Don't be intimidated....hell if you can swim butterfly you can sure ride a road bike!

Randy  

Edited by slornow 2012-12-27 8:12 AM
2012-12-27 8:32 AM

HELP!

I'm trying to sign up and register for the Hammer Sprint Duathlon organised by endurancesportmanagement.com in April.

It says to register to go to their homepage. I did this and I was met by a blank, grey page with no information on it at all. How do I check the event exists and register?

I've emailed their contact man on the beginnertriathlete contact sheet, but I'm awaiting a response. They have a phone number to use, but I just find it really odd that the company organising a triathlon and Duathlon would have an webpage and therefore knowhere to register for their events.

Paul

2012-12-27 8:35 AM

Email just returned to me "Contact name not found"

Am I being conned?

2012-12-27 8:45 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Paul-that group has been around for awhile. I get periodic emails from them about races since I have raced up that way before.  I did a google search for "Hammer Sprint Triathlon" and it took me to a viable site. Also found registration info on imathlete. Will try to link below.

http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=14612

Randy

2012-12-27 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi All,

Just dropping by to wish my old crew a Happy Holidays / New Year!  For those of you who are new to the group, you have some fabulous mentor leaders (and, I'll just add that there a several in the group who might as well be mentors as well b/c they are so knowledgeable).  Best wishes for a fabulous 2013 season and keep in touch!  (I'll be lurking for sure!)

Stu

2012-12-27 11:37 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Afternoon all!

We FINALLY got some snow here in the Northeast today....followed by rain  So my day began at 5:20 am clearing the driveway followed by having the ENTIRE POOL to myself.  Between vacations and the weather I guess no one wanted to venture out.  Too bad I was running so late from clearing the driveway so I really only had 30 minutes.

I need to try some of Stuarts drills and get some type of plan going

Have a good day all - and congrats Nate!

2012-12-27 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4549919

User image

Veteran
Central VA
juneapple - 2012-12-27 12:22 PM

Hi All,

Just dropping by to wish my old crew a Happy Holidays / New Year!  For those of you who are new to the group, you have some fabulous mentor leaders (and, I'll just add that there a several in the group who might as well be mentors as well b/c they are so knowledgeable).  Best wishes for a fabulous 2013 season and keep in touch!  (I'll be lurking for sure!)

Stu

Hey Stu, you racing in the Angel's Race this year? Maybe we can find each other this time.

Brian

Edited by pvfd304 2012-12-27 12:35 PM
2012-12-27 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4549556

slornow - 2012-12-27 8:45 AM

Paul-that group has been around for awhile. I get periodic emails from them about races since I have raced up that way before.  I did a google search for "Hammer Sprint Triathlon" and it took me to a viable site. Also found registration info on imathlete. Will try to link below.

Randy

Randy

Clicked the link and found the group. Thanks a lotSmile Am now fully registered for my 1st ever race!

2012-12-27 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4550223

User image

Master
South Alabama
saint100 - 2012-12-27 1:54 PM
slornow - 2012-12-27 8:45 AM

Randy

Randy

Clicked the link and found the group. Thanks a lotSmile Am now fully registered for my 1st ever race!

Good job Paul. You will have a blast!

Randy

2012-12-27 5:31 PM

User image

Master
So glad to be a member of this group! One of the other mentor groups has a lot of members that are on a paleo diet. I would be so sad in that group. Had a nice day of workouts. Now I'm enjoying a few beers and eating chips and guacamole while dinner cooks. Life is good!!

2012-12-27 6:50 PM

I was just about to ask about nutrition and foodSmile I am tending to eat a lot of chicken salads with grilled chicken and sliced nuts and light vinagrette dressing on it, breafast is just a normal cereal, orange juice and a banana.  I am tending to drink only water throughout the day.I consider this a major acheivement as there is two fast food hamburger places within 30yrds of our house....LOL

I haven't had chocolate or fries of any kind in ages. But my Mom hzas sent me a load of British chocolate in her Christmas parcel. This will be VERY tough...

2012-12-27 7:15 PM

User image

Master
I have a horrible diet compared to most athletes. But I'm happy so that is all that really matters!

I don't believe in restricting food. Instead I try to look at food as fuel. Beer=carbo loading. Guacamole= good fats and fruit/veggie..
2012-12-27 7:21 PM

"Beer=fuel" Hahahaha.

I can't drink beer. I take too much medicine. Seriously.

2012-12-27 7:23 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Everything in moderation. As mentioned before, I'm going to try to make some headway on my after dinner snacking problem. But, for now I will enjoy a few more pieces of candy and at least one more glass of red wine.

Short bike tonight...only to find that batteries in powertap hub were dead. At least it happened when I was just getting on the bike to spin.

Randy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66