Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-18 7:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Subject: RE: Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by MSU_Brad
Originally posted by msteiner

So, I guess it's still not clear to me.

Are you guys suggesting that it's not significant enough to matter? I'm making the trip either way so, it's not a question of that.

When is the best time to take this trip (within a marathon cycle) and for how long does one need to be at elevation for it to have an effect?

You just need to get one of these:
http://www.trainingmask.com/products/TRAINING-MASK-2.0.html

"No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask..." 

Now we are getting into Brad's territory Smile

It reminds me of Rupp's asthma mask

You can still be my sidekick, Robin, you know.

Perfect Smile

Salty for the win...nice. And, nice to see good hygiene.

Edited by MSU_Brad 2013-09-18 7:17 PM

2013-09-18 7:18 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
2013-09-18 7:22 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by popsracer

I'm thinking maybe we can break the book into part I, part II and part IV.

Let's leave the discussion open to talk about part I for another week and then we can start talking about part II around Wednesday the 25. Of course, if something comes up from the previous portion go ahead and post about it but we should be moving on as we only have a month.

If people want to talk about part III, go ahead, but I don't really think a lot of time should be spent there.

So, what are people's initial thoughts? Is there anything that you find difficult to understand? Is there anything that dramatically changed how you viewed running/ training? 

Yeah, like everything..

Seriously, a couple of big takeaways so far.  I have subconsiously resisted easy runs because I did not believe (lack of understanding) that certain adaptations take place at that pace.  Most of my runs were probably at something between threshold and (M).  I struggled for three years with overuse injuries as a result.

It is more efficient and the risk of injury is actually less to do most of your miles at easy and THEN do proper quality work for focuses on speed, VO2max, economy, and strength.  I just did my first (R) workout and it was really eye opening.  Before reading this I would have missed the true purpose.  I had viewed it before as more of an engine thing whereas it is more of a neuromuscular adaptation thing.  It was easier than I thought it would be even with stupidly surpassing my VDOT paces.

Last takeaway was after doing a proper (I) workout I've learned they suck.  I usually reserve barfing for 5k finish line.  Actually didn't quite barf but was very close.

Steve, I feel like we're having the same heuristic moments with JD. I am really trying to be better with keeping my easy runs easy throughout. At some point in my easy runs I get all cray cray and rationalize doing something defeatist to the purpose, coughzonefivecough. JD is helping me bind and gag the naughty running angel so she doesn't crash my mellow. I'll look forward to making her hurl.

hawt.

Uh - where was I? Oh yes--So funny, this is one thing I have NEVER had an issue with. It may blow your minds how slow-as-molasses I run sometimes. I don't know if there is such thing as "too slow" but if there is, I have toed that line for sure.

Conversely, when I started added intensity (and when I raced, before I did any intensity) it was a major shock to my body. Now that I regularly incorporate intensity into my weekly training, it's much less of a shock and I recovery much more quickly.

That's interesting. One of the things the naughty angel says is "if you run slowly in training, how will it be there on race day?" Naughty naughty. I need to suspend disbelief. The other reason the harder stuff sneaks in on easy days is that it feels soooo good. The post run feeling if it is all easy just feels meh. I'm gonna embrace the meh, but it really is tough.
2013-09-18 9:04 PM

I was interested in the idea about 12 years ago when was training for a HM and 25k and logging a bunch of miles (95-110 miles/week). I was hoping it would push through some barriers. I did research and don't believe came up with anything definitive except... 1. There is some benefit 2. It wasn't permanent ( already pointed out by Dale) 3. Probable optimal time was around 2-3 weeks after initial exposure.
I never did follow through so I can not give you any first hand account. As stated I don't have references but I'm sure there is more data and studies now.

Dave
2013-09-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: SHTri

User image

Regular
LHOTP

OK, so the paragraph  I was referring to about altitude training, was talking about the "breakthrough" at altitude lasting for years, not the acclimatization.  I misremembered.

Here's the paragraph (pg.21)

Altitude training permits runners to reach their potential more quickly.  Some runners experience a breakthrough as a result of increases in weekly mileage or through a more structured program.  I've observed many breakthroughs following altitude training of only a few weeks' duration, and seldom have the athletes involved had any trouble maintaining their new found success, even if they return to sea level for entire seasons, or years performance.

So, Salty, if you could really go to your parents' for a month, maybe it would be worth it.  Maybe a high risk/reward kinds thing.  Though how much of a risk could you really take in a month's time--you won't be losing fitness certainly, and you would get good food and rest (guessing on the last bit). 

2013-09-19 6:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-09-19 10:38 AM
in reply to: switch

Seattle

OK, so the paragraph  I was referring to about altitude training, was talking about the "breakthrough" at altitude lasting for years, not the acclimatization.  I misremembered.

Here's the paragraph (pg.21)

Altitude training permits runners to reach their potential more quickly.  Some runners experience a breakthrough as a result of increases in weekly mileage or through a more structured program.  I've observed many breakthroughs following altitude training of only a few weeks' duration, and seldom have the athletes involved had any trouble maintaining their new found success, even if they return to sea level for entire seasons, or years performance.

So, Salty, if you could really go to your parents' for a month, maybe it would be worth it.  Maybe a high risk/reward kinds thing.  Though how much of a risk could you really take in a month's time--you won't be losing fitness certainly, and you would get good food and rest (guessing on the last bit). 

I might try it at some point.  It may would be better to do when I run something like CIM so I can train at my parents and then go straight there and run the race.

I'd honestly like to have more specific data so I could make a better informed decisions.

I do plan for a visit, regardless, and of course I will be training while I am there, so perhaps I can just plan a race for when I get back and do a small test.

2013-09-19 10:46 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I will say that we've had an athlete move here from Boulder who's whipping the snot out of me and anyone else he's raced so far.  Even scarier is he just started tri's this year.  He's been running for a couple of years and has a college baseball background.

Altitude training is for real!

2013-09-19 10:51 AM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Asalzwed.

I do plan for a visit, regardless, and of course I will be training while I am there, so perhaps I can just plan a race for when I get back and do a small test.

I like experiments. these are the things that individuals can find out for themselves how to best tweak their training and life. If I had relatives at altitude, they'd be my favorite relatives!

FTR, I would guess that: 1)during the initial 2 weeks that you are there, you will struggle to hold training paces as you acclimate and should accept a slightly slower pace during week1 and see if you can get back to 'normal' week2.
2)if you race within 2 weeks of returning from altitude, you will be able to perform at a slightly higher level-even if you did very little training.
2013-09-19 11:10 AM
in reply to: msteiner

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by msteiner

I will say that we've had an athlete move here from Boulder who's whipping the snot out of me and anyone else he's raced so far.  Even scarier is he just started tri's this year.  He's been running for a couple of years and has a college baseball background.

Altitude training is for real!

Not to pick, but if he played a college sport, he's also likely a step ahead of a lot of us. Most likely knows how to work efficiently, give a big effort, etc. Might come from a pretty talented gene pool, too.
2013-09-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

Seattle

Has everyone got a rough estimate of their VDOT? Are there any questions about this?

Also, I'm loving the season plan chapter! This is a really good refresher.

2013-09-19 1:10 PM

Regular
LHOTP

Sort of.

OK, so my vdot is 45, based on a stand alone 5K I did last May I plugged into this online JD running calculator.  I haven't done any other stand alone races since then. 

I have two questions:

1) I don't know how I should determine my "R" pace.  In the table on pg 40, JD shows "R" pace to be 100% of HR max, accept in other parts he's discussed how it would be determined by the race you're training for.  I'm currently training for a marathon.  If I based my R pace on that, I don't think my R pace would serve the R purpose of "running fairly fast, feeling light on their feet and efficiently running at race --or sometimes even faster that the pace used in longer races.  The intensity for repetition training is typically race pace or a littler faster for a given distance." pg 36

OK...so should it be a little faster than my M pace (which is 8mpm), or should it be what this online calculator spit out and more in line with the table on pg 40, which is 6:30mpm.  I guess my gut tells me it should be the 6:30, as I don't think I'm learning much at the 8mpm pace, but 6:30 is so much faster than the race I'm training for...

2) Threshold running pace (which is different than LT) is repeatedly defined as the pace you can sustain for one hour of running and is according to JD pg 112.  My LT is 176 according to that same 5K and my max HR is 181.  According to JD, based on my max HR of 181--my threshold pace would be 159-166bpm, using his parameters of 88-92% for T pace. During my HIM this summer my HR avg was 161bpm (2:41) on the bike and 166bpm (1:55) on the run-- so 4:30+ in my theoretical threshold training zone .  I'm not even sure the question to ask, but it just seems like maybe my profile is weird and doesn't fit in the box?  Help?

Sorry two big numbers questions.  I understand if no one wants to tackle that, but it's what I'm rolling around in my head these days.

2013-09-19 1:30 PM

Seattle

Sort of.

OK, so my vdot is 45, based on a stand alone 5K I did last May I plugged into this online JD running calculator.  I haven't done any other stand alone races since then. 

I have two questions:

1) I don't know how I should determine my "R" pace.  In the table on pg 40, JD shows "R" pace to be 100% of HR max, accept in other parts he's discussed how it would be determined by the race you're training for.  I'm currently training for a marathon.  If I based my R pace on that, I don't think my R pace would serve the R purpose of "running fairly fast, feeling light on their feet and efficiently running at race --or sometimes even faster that the pace used in longer races.  The intensity for repetition training is typically race pace or a littler faster for a given distance." pg 36

OK...so should it be a little faster than my M pace (which is 8mpm), or should it be what this online calculator spit out and more in line with the table on pg 40, which is 6:30mpm.  I guess my gut tells me it should be the 6:30, as I don't think I'm learning much at the 8mpm pace, but 6:30 is so much faster than the race I'm training for...

2) Threshold running pace (which is different than LT) is repeatedly defined as the pace you can sustain for one hour of running and is according to JD pg 112.  My LT is 176 according to that same 5K and my max HR is 181.  According to JD, based on my max HR of 181--my threshold pace would be 159-166bpm, using his parameters of 88-92% for T pace. During my HIM this summer my HR avg was 161bpm (2:41) on the bike and 166bpm (1:55) on the run-- so 4:30+ in my theoretical threshold training zone .  I'm not even sure the question to ask, but it just seems like maybe my profile is weird and doesn't fit in the box?  Help?

Sorry two big numbers questions.  I understand if no one wants to tackle that, but it's what I'm rolling around in my head these days.

Whan you ask about R ,  you mean repetition? 

Chapter 9 will tell you everything you need to know

*This calculator also does the math for you http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm

I always laugh abou the .68 part Smile

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-19 1:41 PM
2013-09-19 2:17 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

Sort of.

Reps and strides are paces I rarely expect to do at a 'certain pace'. I usually run them by feel and usually and often by time -on my running routes outdoors. My most common outdoor running loop does have every 200M marked, so I actually can do 200M reps/strides. (I marked these with a paint can during marathon training long ago and I've remarked them for years as needed).

These faster paced efforts are done by gradually accelerating to a brisk, quick pace with a light step. Not comfortably hard, but comfortably fast. Hold the quick pace for 30-45 seconds and then gradually slow back down to easy running pace. You could just do it for you expected R time based on your vdot. The track would offer the best, most consistent measurement.

The pace cannot be so fast that you are wiped after 2 or 3. You have to be able to do 4-6 and not feel shelled. You have to be able to hold that same exact pace for each one. When you find out what your pace is for 200M, compare to your vdot and see whether you need to increase/decrease your effort to match the desired R pace.

(I remember that my R pace was too fast for my short race vdot's, and was closer to my longer race vdots. I am a fast twitch kind of guy with much higher vdots for short races. There was much more disparity but I've brought up my vdot for the 1/2M and M over time.)

Strides/reps are neuromuscular training (meaning the nerves will recruit muscles more quickly as the nerves fire more frequently, the body gets 'used to it') but also help with efficiency at faster speeds and will help with get you ready for longer, moderately fast efforts (tempo) and eventually intervals/speed sharpening/v02max training. I believe the benefits vary between athletes depending on your own % of muscle fibers (slow twitch vs fast twitch=basically whether you are genetically better at running longer distances sort of fast or short distances really fast).

And for tempo/LT efforts, I use my 10K race pace or 10K race pace HR.

Edited by dtoce 2013-09-19 2:20 PM
2013-09-19 2:30 PM

Seattle

I agree about not necessarily needing a pace for things like strides. Generally at practice, we are given a time but I think that is mainly so that we don't go too hard. They are meant to be fast, but not hard and as Dale said, you need to be able to complete 4-6 rather than 2 or 3.  

But for something like a cruise repetition (which is a variation of an R) I think you do need to have some of those rep and recovery times.

In regard to hill reps, we are given a time, say 30 seconds or a minute or whatever and for the purpose of R, we do them as fast as we can while still being able to finish the given set. So, it's a little vague and hugely personal. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2013-09-19 2:31 PM
2013-09-19 2:48 PM

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
hill reps are not only neuromuscular but also strength.

Lydiard recommended bounding for hill work, which isn't at rep speed, so there are different variations even at faster paces depending on what the goal is. That is an entire different animal.

(I remember getting into an argument with a BTer who is a coach who gave idiotic advice about doing reps downhill)

Love this discussion. I could talk about this all day.

2013-09-19 2:52 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Seattle

Originally posted by dtoce hill reps are not only neuromuscular but also strength. Lydiard recommended bounding for hill work, which isn't at rep speed, so there are different variations even at faster paces depending on what the goal is. That is an entire different animal. (I remember getting into an argument with a BTer who is a coach who gave idiotic advice about doing reps downhill) Love this discussion. I could talk about this all day.

Yeah, you can most certainly do lots of different types of workouts (including R) on hills. There are endless variations.

I went to a Lydiard seminar a while back and it was excellent. 

Curious what your thoughts are on reps on downhills? Is it the downhill running you have an issue with or just the "R" type of speed? 

2013-09-19 3:27 PM

Regular
Jenison, MI

Sort of.

I have two questions:

I'm no where near chapter 9 yet, but in taking a quick look at the calculator (Runabyou) link you posted, the engineer (or enginerd) in me is screaming that the %s of weekly mileage in the right column don't add up to 100% nor anywhere close to it, honestly.
E: lesser of 25% or 150 minutes
M: lesser of 90 min or 16 miles (we can assume this is significantly less than 25% of the weekly total based on the E totals above), but we'll call it 20%.
T: lesser of 10% or 60 minutes
I: 8% weekly mileage
R: 5% weekly mileage

Total = 25% + 20% + 10% + 8% + 5% = 68%

Where is the rest of the training supposed to fit in?
2013-09-19 3:34 PM

Seattle

Sort of.

I have two questions:

I'm no where near chapter 9 yet, but in taking a quick look at the calculator (Runabyou) link you posted, the engineer (or enginerd) in me is screaming that the %s of weekly mileage in the right column don't add up to 100% nor anywhere close to it, honestly. E: lesser of 25% or 150 minutes M: lesser of 90 min or 16 miles (we can assume this is significantly less than 25% of the weekly total based on the E totals above), but we'll call it 20%. T: lesser of 10% or 60 minutes I: 8% weekly mileage R: 5% weekly mileage Total = 25% + 20% + 10% + 8% + 5% = 68% Where is the rest of the training supposed to fit in?

Yeah, I don't really care too much about that as I am  not an enginerd Smile it's just a quick easy way to plug in race times to get VDOT. You can reference the book otherwise.

Maybe you can make us a new tool that has accurate percentages (preferably that add up to 100)

2013-09-19 3:48 PM

Regular
Jenison, MI

Sort of.

I have two questions:

I'm no where near chapter 9 yet, but in taking a quick look at the calculator (Runabyou) link you posted, the engineer (or enginerd) in me is screaming that the %s of weekly mileage in the right column don't add up to 100% nor anywhere close to it, honestly. E: lesser of 25% or 150 minutes M: lesser of 90 min or 16 miles (we can assume this is significantly less than 25% of the weekly total based on the E totals above), but we'll call it 20%. T: lesser of 10% or 60 minutes I: 8% weekly mileage R: 5% weekly mileage Total = 25% + 20% + 10% + 8% + 5% = 68% Where is the rest of the training supposed to fit in?

Yeah, I don't really care too much about that as I am  not an enginerd Smile it's just a quick easy way to plug in race times to get VDOT. You can reference the book otherwise.

Maybe you can make us a new tool that has accurate percentages (preferably that add up to 100)

Or maybe I can just smack you.

I'll get to chapter 9 soon enough. I was too busy reading other stuff last night for that. However, it shouldn't take me long, because I read much faster than I run, thankfully.
2013-09-19 3:50 PM

Seattle

Sort of.

I have two questions:

Or maybe I can just smack you. I'll get to chapter 9 soon enough. I was too busy reading other stuff last night for that. However, it shouldn't take me long, because I read much faster than I run, thankfully.

That is always an option as well Wink I am not sure how you will get to 100% that way though.

Nah you don't have to be to 9 yet, I was just directing Elesa to more information on R pacing

2013-09-19 4:02 PM

Regular
LHOTP

Sort of.

I have two questions:

Freakin THANK YOU!  I looked at that for fifteen minutes this morning before deciding  I was either still on drugs or galactically stupid (or both, probably both) because I could not make that work.

2013-09-19 4:07 PM
in reply to: dtoce

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by dtoce

Sort of.

Reps and strides are paces I rarely expect to do at a 'certain pace'. I usually run them by feel and usually and often by time -on my running routes outdoors. My most common outdoor running loop does have every 200M marked, so I actually can do 200M reps/strides. (I marked these with a paint can during marathon training long ago and I've remarked them for years as needed). These faster paced efforts are done by gradually accelerating to a brisk, quick pace with a light step. Not comfortably hard, but comfortably fast. Hold the quick pace for 30-45 seconds and then gradually slow back down to easy running pace. You could just do it for you expected R time based on your vdot. The track would offer the best, most consistent measurement. The pace cannot be so fast that you are wiped after 2 or 3. You have to be able to do 4-6 and not feel shelled. You have to be able to hold that same exact pace for each one. When you find out what your pace is for 200M, compare to your vdot and see whether you need to increase/decrease your effort to match the desired R pace. (I remember that my R pace was too fast for my short race vdot's, and was closer to my longer race vdots. I am a fast twitch kind of guy with much higher vdots for short races. There was much more disparity but I've brought up my vdot for the 1/2M and M over time.) Strides/reps are neuromuscular training (meaning the nerves will recruit muscles more quickly as the nerves fire more frequently, the body gets 'used to it') but also help with efficiency at faster speeds and will help with get you ready for longer, moderately fast efforts (tempo) and eventually intervals/speed sharpening/v02max training. I believe the benefits vary between athletes depending on your own % of muscle fibers (slow twitch vs fast twitch=basically whether you are genetically better at running longer distances sort of fast or short distances really fast). And for tempo/LT efforts, I use my 10K race pace or 10K race pace HR.

OK, just so I understand your actual LT is higher than the pace for tempo/LT efforts right?

There's a test on BT that talks about determining your LT for running, and it basically suggests a warm-up and a 5K ( I can find the link if need be).  Are you saying actual LT would be better determined by a 10K? I'm sure my maximum sustained heartrate for racing a 10K would be lower than the 5K by a few beats.  172-173 range.

And more importantly, does it really matter? 

I was just thinking that my LT pace, as defined by JD must be off if I can sustain it for 4.5 hours.

2013-09-19 4:27 PM

How are you determining your T-pace? It definitely shouldn't be a pace that you can sustain for 4.5 hours!

I usually put in my 5K or 10K race pace, and the T- pace is about 10-15 sec/km slower than 10K pace.

If you can run 10-15/sec slower than 10K pace for 4.5 hours, then your 10K race pace is too slow.

Edited by jennifer_runs 2013-09-19 4:28 PM
2013-09-19 4:30 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by jennifer_runs How are you determining your T-pace? It definitely shouldn't be a pace that you can sustain for 4.5 hours! I usually put in my 5K or 10K race pace, and the T- pace is about 10-15 sec/km slower than 10K pace. If you can run 10-15/sec slower than 10K pace for 4.5 hours, then your 10K race pace is too slow.

This was from an earlier post about this:

Threshold running pace (which is different than LT) is repeatedly defined as the pace you can sustain for one hour of running and is according to JD pg 112.  My LT is 176 according to that same 5K and my max HR is 181.  According to JD, based on my max HR of 181--my threshold pace would be 159-166bpm, using his parameters of 88-92% for T pace. During my HIM this summer my HR avg was 161bpm (2:41) on the bike and 166bpm (1:55) on the run-- so 4:30+ in my theoretical threshold training zone .  I'm not even sure the question to ask, but it just seems like maybe my profile is weird and doesn't fit in the box?  Help?

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Sept 15-Oct 15 "Daniel's Running Formula" Book Club Rss Feed  

of 25

RELATED POSTS

3000 swim challenge... Nov 15-Dec 15

Started by simpsonbo
Views: 1884 Posts: 2

2012-11-17 12:46 AM simpsonbo

Winter Crummy Weather Challenge Week 6 Dec 9-15

Started by TriDDS
Views: 2192 Posts: 13

2008-01-21 7:40 PM MikeJ

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 15 (Feb 18-24)

Started by autumn
Views: 1725 Posts: 10

2007-02-27 9:28 AM pseudoyams

Crummy Weather Challenge Week 10 (jan 15-21)

Started by autumn
Views: 2319 Posts: 18

2007-01-22 2:23 PM AKtri

Strength Challenge - Week 15 Check-in

Started by Ron
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2006-12-20 11:11 PM jcjsc00
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 2, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 10, 2010
author : jgoss47
comments : 3
Recent college graduate struggling to lose the freshman 15 signs up for first triathlon.

date : January 23, 2007
author : KenMierke
comments : 5
A powerful attraction of the calories in/calories out paradigm is its apparent simplicity. Unfortunately, the human body isn’t so simple and that is why this seemingly wonderful formula doesn't work.
date : March 13, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Comparing Heart Rate Formulas: Age, Karvonen, Leger, MAF and Friel.

date : February 13, 2005
author : Glenn
comments : 0
Without a doubt, we begin to notice patterns in our training performances. We notice when our good and bad days repeat themselves in our logbook.
date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.