BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2014-01-01 6:57 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

La Quinta, California
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
Yes, I do have access to a Masters program. I am waiting for the new schedule to be posted to check availability. I am also debating about the Masters program, or possibly taking some private lessons. I will know more soon, as the availability for both should be posted after the New Year Holiday.

2014-01-01 7:38 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Subject: RE: Spin bike and Garmin question CLOSED
Question about spin bike and mileage. The spin bike I use at the gym has no computer read outs, and I am wondering if there is a way to figure out how many miles I complete. I can't tell what tension level I am at either.

I have the older Orange waterproof Garmin but when I bought it, I was only interested in running and have since lost the directions as to how to use it for biking and swimming. Can someone direct me to some info on calculating bike times out on the road and on the gym spin bikes ( and the swim for that matter) using the Garmin?

Thanks- and I hope everyone's New Year has started off well!

Kelly
2014-01-01 8:12 PM

User image

Lake Orion, Michigan
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED
Originally posted by axteraa

Here is a new list of members.  I hope I didn't miss anyone or make any typos, please let me know if I did!

2014 Rookies

Jason NJasonaxteraaArend
ligersandtionsNicoleLynn!Lynn
badmo77aAdrianTheresaMTheresa
sammerjamSamanthaJerry AJerry
ssgreerScottparit50Debby
GizmosmomBrendaLady MagooKelly
luvschipsDonnamothorntonMo
NeithanarJackweirdfish Sean
DanmartinidsDanLcarslakeLacey
tvannormanTrevorRobinRNRobin
Ericka_FinishErickaKeiferKeifer
golfgirl88SandraPantherDave
chuckpittsChuck 

Kiefer.....not Keifet.....thanks for compiling the list
2014-01-01 8:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lake Orion, Michigan

Here is a new list of members.  I hope I didn't miss anyone or make any typos, please let me know if I did!

2014 Rookies

Jason NJasonaxteraaArend
ssgreerScottparit50Debby
Ericka_FinishErickaKeiferKeifer
chuckpittsChuck 

Kiefer.....not Keifer.thanks for compiling the list

Edited by Kiefer 2014-01-01 8:13 PM
2014-01-01 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4915173

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
I got up with my boys and put an hour on the spin bike, keeping HR between 125 and 130.

Then at lunch went out for a chilly -8 7kms. 5:34 mins/km average pace.

Happy to have a good start to 2014.
2014-01-01 10:33 PM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Favorite workouts

Anyone have any favorite workouts to do on the trainer and in the pool?  Favorite can include fun to do, and not so fun to do but very beneficial.

2014-01-02 2:42 AM
in reply to: Kiefer

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Kiefer

2014 Rookies

Jason NJasonaxteraaArend
ssgreerScottparit50Debby
Ericka_FinishErickaKieferKiefer
chuckpittsChuck 

Kiefer.....not Keifer.thanks for compiling the list

Oops, sorry about that!  List above (and in my training blog) is fixed.

2014-01-02 6:39 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I took a look through everyone's training logs this morning, it looks like a great start to the New Year for lots of you, nice work!

2014-01-02 6:50 AM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Danmartinids

Anyone have any favorite workouts to do on the trainer and in the pool?  Favorite can include fun to do, and not so fun to do but very beneficial.

In the pool, a main set as follows

40 x 50
16 with every 4th fast
12 with every 3rd fast
8 with every 2nd fast
4 fast

Do them on a repeat time that gives you 5-10 seconds rest for the non fast ones.  For example if you can do a 50 in 47 seconds at a moderate effort then you would start each 50 every 55 seconds.  Your fast ones might be more like 42 seconds giving you a little more rest after those.  It's a great exercise in pacing control, if you start out too fast or set your repeat time too fast you will have a very hard time completing all 40.

2014-01-02 9:05 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

40 x 50

16 with every 4th fast
12 with every 3rd fast
8 with every 2nd fast
4 fast

Do them on a repeat time that gives you 5-10 seconds rest for the non fast ones.  

You mean 40 x 50 made up off....

Not 40 x 50 warm up then....

Either way the distances are staggering to a newb like me.
2014-01-02 9:13 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Sorry, yes.  A warm-up, then that as a main set then a cool down.  If that is too long you can adjust it to something like

12 with every 4th fast
9 with every 3rd fast
6 with every 2nd fast
3 fast

That brings it down to 30 x 50.  

Really you can adjust just about anything to suit your abilities and/or the amount of time you have available.  How long are your swims typically (from the time you get in until you get out) and how much distance do you do in that time?

2014-01-02 10:07 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Sorry, yes.  A warm-up, then that as a main set then a cool down.  If that is too long you can adjust it to something like

12 with every 4th fast
9 with every 3rd fast
6 with every 2nd fast
3 fast

That brings it down to 30 x 50.  

Really you can adjust just about anything to suit your abilities and/or the amount of time you have available.  How long are your swims typically (from the time you get in until you get out) and how much distance do you do in that time?

I have two main swims.

25 minutes when my boys are in swim lessons. This is mostly used for plain old vanilla laps and the longest I have done in this session is about 1100 meters. Which is about 2:15 100s. Maybe sometime soon I will push it an see how far I could go with a bit of effort.

The other is going to Monday night Adult Endurance Class. Where we cover about 1250m in an hour of drills including finger-tip drag, pull bouy, kick board, whip-kick with a board, double whipkick, 3 second glide etc

I would like a third session where I could:

1. do a longer slow endurance session
2. maybe play pool-golf or something else to help me improve efficiency
3. put in some effort intervals (like yours) into a longer session

I am getting some technical feedback from my class. What I realy need to add is more pool time.
2014-01-02 10:09 AM

User image

Happy new year everyone. I took a planned day off of training yesterday as my way to ring in the new year.
2014-01-02 10:17 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Okay...now that we've got our group settled, most of the introductions out of the way, and the holidays behind us....the first topic I wanted to cover is how do we select a training plan? It seems like there are thousands of them out there so how are we supposed to know which one is best for us? The simple answer is that no one plan that you get out of a book or off the web is going to be ideal for you. We all start at different points, have different strengths and weaknesses, and different schedules. Our races may also be more demanding in different areas. Don't be afraid to tweak your plans as you see fit. It takes a little bit of experimentation, but don't sweat the little details. It's more about the cumulative work you put in over time than any one week or one workout...aka consistency. If any of you want to discuss your specific training plan, feel free to ask and we can discuss as a group.
2014-01-02 12:01 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a I have two main swims. 25 minutes when my boys are in swim lessons. This is mostly used for plain old vanilla laps and the longest I have done in this session is about 1100 meters. Which is about 2:15 100s. Maybe sometime soon I will push it an see how far I could go with a bit of effort. The other is going to Monday night Adult Endurance Class. Where we cover about 1250m in an hour of drills including finger-tip drag, pull bouy, kick board, whip-kick with a board, double whipkick, 3 second glide etc I would like a third session where I could: 1. do a longer slow endurance session 2. maybe play pool-golf or something else to help me improve efficiency 3. put in some effort intervals (like yours) into a longer session I am getting some technical feedback from my class. What I realy need to add is more pool time.

Here is what I would suggest.  For that 25 minute swim I would do short, intense work.  Basically, just a short warmup - maybe 200 at most and then do some fast 25s and 50s and follow it up with a short cooldown.  

Maybe something like this - I am just guessing at what repeat times you can do based on the 2:15/100 that you posted.  You may have to adjust up or down.

150-200 warmup - 5:00
9 x 50 on 1:15 (11:15)
50 ez
8 x 25 on 35-40 seconds (~5:00)
cooldown with whatever time is left

For the 50s, you could descend the pace 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9.  What that means is you go a bit faster (descend time) each 50 in groups of 3.  As an example, the first one takes you 1:05, next is 1:02, 3rd is :59 and then go back to the 1:05 etc.

For the 25s, I would do them all at a strong quick pace.  Not a sprint but a strong effort that by the last one you are tired.

There are lots of variations you can do but I would avoid just doing the continuous swim.  If your time is very limited (like the 25 min session) then do short intense work.  If you have a little more time then do longer (but not long) less intense intervals.  

2014-01-02 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I took a look through everyone's training logs this morning, it looks like a great start to the New Year for lots of you, nice work!

That's great to hear!  For those of you who log your training, keep it up!  For those who don't log training, consider starting.  It's a great way to stay motivated and to see how far you've come....and a great way to analyze how you felt your training was in relation to how your race went.  If your race went great, you can look back at what kinds of volumes and intensities you did to help plan your next race.  If your race went poorly, you can look back and see where you were lacking and what kinds of things you might want to change to make your next race a success.

In addition to training logs, BT will also allow you to log your races.  This, in addition to your training logs, gives you a GREAT reference for when you look back at how you did when things are maybe not fresh in your mind.  Plus, if you publish your race report, you can share your results with others, get feedback, and allow people to search it in the future if they're considering that race.

So on that note, I raced yesterday and wrote up a quick race report.  I hope you will do the same later on after your races

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=508447&posts=1#M4922296

2014-01-02 12:28 PM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Question about spin bike and mileage. The spin bike I use at the gym has no computer read outs, and I am wondering if there is a way to figure out how many miles I complete. I can't tell what tension level I am at either. I have the older Orange waterproof Garmin but when I bought it, I was only interested in running and have since lost the directions as to how to use it for biking and swimming. Can someone direct me to some info on calculating bike times out on the road and on the gym spin bikes ( and the swim for that matter) using the Garmin? Thanks- and I hope everyone's New Year has started off well! Kelly

Kelly, distance on an indoor bike (your bike on a trainer or a spin bike or a stationary bike at the gym) really doesn't mean a whole lot, imo.  When I do trainer rides, I only log the time (and HR, power metrics, what kind of workout I did, and how I felt).  As you noted, there isn't a particularly good way to know the tension, so if the tension is low, your distance may be really high, even if your effort level wasn't that high.

Log your time and keep notes of your effort (RPE) and/or HR, as well as what you did -- did you spin easy for one hour, or did you do a bunch of 30 second sprints over an hour, or any other combination of things?

2014-01-02 1:15 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Originally posted by badmo77a I have two main swims. 25 minutes when my boys are in swim lessons. This is mostly used for plain old vanilla laps and the longest I have done in this session is about 1100 meters. Which is about 2:15 100s. Maybe sometime soon I will push it an see how far I could go with a bit of effort. The other is going to Monday night Adult Endurance Class. Where we cover about 1250m in an hour of drills including finger-tip drag, pull bouy, kick board, whip-kick with a board, double whipkick, 3 second glide etc I would like a third session where I could: 1. do a longer slow endurance session 2. maybe play pool-golf or something else to help me improve efficiency 3. put in some effort intervals (like yours) into a longer session I am getting some technical feedback from my class. What I realy need to add is more pool time.

Here is what I would suggest.  For that 25 minute swim I would do short, intense work.  Basically, just a short warmup - maybe 200 at most and then do some fast 25s and 50s and follow it up with a short cooldown.  

Maybe something like this - I am just guessing at what repeat times you can do based on the 2:15/100 that you posted.  You may have to adjust up or down.

150-200 warmup - 5:00
9 x 50 on 1:15 (11:15)
50 ez
8 x 25 on 35-40 seconds (~5:00)
cooldown with whatever time is left

For the 50s, you could descend the pace 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9.  What that means is you go a bit faster (descend time) each 50 in groups of 3.  As an example, the first one takes you 1:05, next is 1:02, 3rd is :59 and then go back to the 1:05 etc.

For the 25s, I would do them all at a strong quick pace.  Not a sprint but a strong effort that by the last one you are tired.

There are lots of variations you can do but I would avoid just doing the continuous swim.  If your time is very limited (like the 25 min session) then do short intense work.  If you have a little more time then do longer (but not long) less intense intervals.  

OK. Kids lessons fire up again next week. I will give this a go then.

It does have the potential for my kids having to ask "Daddy, why did so many lifeguards have to jump in your lane?"
2014-01-02 1:18 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by badmo77a  OK. Kids lessons fire up again next week. I will give this a go then. It does have the potential for my kids having to ask "Daddy, why did so many lifeguards have to jump in your lane?"

Ha!  You will know you have done it just right when the guards are looking worried but haven't actually gone so far as to check on you yet.  

When you first try something like that, start out a little easier than you think you need to and see how it goes.  You'll get a good idea of how hard to go the next time around.

2014-01-02 2:56 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Just registered for my first sprint.  I guess technically it will be my second sprint of the season, but it is the first I have registered for.  Things just got real.  

I also wanted to tout the wonders of coupon codes - I saved 14% just by doing a quick google search, though part of this was due to dumb luck as the code is only good for a couple of days.

2014-01-02 5:51 PM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Kellly -- what's the model of the Garmin and I'll see if I can help - need something other than the color :-)

2014-01-02 6:38 PM

User image

I'm learning a lot simply from reading this thread!
I have a newbie swim question. As I've said before, I don't have any formal swim background. I've just been getting in the pool and swimming laps. Reading through the workouts on this thread, I have to say I'm very intimidated by them...It's like reading a foreign language! lol.
I'm lucky enough to have access to two pools...one at my normal gym, and an Olympic size one at my college. I usually go the one at my gym even though it is smaller because of the better hours and I can go before/after I complete a spin class or run. The one at my college is only open for a few hours in the late evening.
What is the best thing I should be doing, swimming wise? I'm comfortable in the water, but feel like I'm missing something without doing specific workouts.
Also, I feel as though I can comfortably complete the distances in a sprint triathlon, within the cutoff times. A sprint triathlon training plan, such as the free one on this site, seems easy, but I wouldn't necessarily want anything that is more complicated because I haven't yet done a triathlon and would like to keep it simple. Should I complete, say, a three month training plan for a sprint for the heck of it? The race I would like to do is not until early June, so I have plenty of time. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
-Samantha
2014-01-02 7:29 PM
in reply to: sammerjam

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by sammerjam I'm learning a lot simply from reading this thread! I have a newbie swim question. As I've said before, I don't have any formal swim background. I've just been getting in the pool and swimming laps. Reading through the workouts on this thread, I have to say I'm very intimidated by them...It's like reading a foreign language! lol. I'm lucky enough to have access to two pools...one at my normal gym, and an Olympic size one at my college. I usually go the one at my gym even though it is smaller because of the better hours and I can go before/after I complete a spin class or run. The one at my college is only open for a few hours in the late evening. What is the best thing I should be doing, swimming wise? I'm comfortable in the water, but feel like I'm missing something without doing specific workouts. Also, I feel as though I can comfortably complete the distances in a sprint triathlon, within the cutoff times. A sprint triathlon training plan, such as the free one on this site, seems easy, but I wouldn't necessarily want anything that is more complicated because I haven't yet done a triathlon and would like to keep it simple. Should I complete, say, a three month training plan for a sprint for the heck of it? The race I would like to do is not until early June, so I have plenty of time. Any thoughts? Thanks! -Samantha

Sorry for throwing out the swimmer lingo without explanation, I'll try to be more descriptive so it makes more sense.  If you ever have a question about it though, just ask.  

As for what the best thing to do is, generally speaking just doing continuous laps isn't going to be the best use of your time.  Usually a workout would be broken down into sets of some sort of intervals (like I described earlier today) after a warmup and followed by a cooldown.  During those intervals you would be pushing yourself a little bit harder than you would if you were just doing a continuous swim and take a short rest in between.  It's amazing what a 5 or 10 second rest at the wall can do for recovery.

There are countless workouts that can be done and usually you wouldn't swim more than 200 meters/yards straight.  I suspect the training plans here on BT have many examples and I can provide more if you like.  You can also look through my training log as I keep fairly detailed descriptions of what I do in the pool (it's full of swimmer lingo though).

2014-01-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: Danmartinids

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Danmartinids

Just registered for my first sprint.  I guess technically it will be my second sprint of the season, but it is the first I have registered for.  Things just got real.  

I also wanted to tout the wonders of coupon codes - I saved 14% just by doing a quick google search, though part of this was due to dumb luck as the code is only good for a couple of days.

Nice!  I never think to look for coupon codes when signing up for races.

2014-01-02 9:51 PM

User image

Kansas City, Missouri

Question - What do you do for motivation when you don't want to get a workout done because you are feeling lazy (or some other lame excuse)?  I think there's a difference between not wanting to because I'm feeling lazy (or some other lame excuse) and feeling unnecessarily exhausted (or some other clue my body is giving me I need to take a break to stay healthy).  How do you go about telling a difference between the two?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16