BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2014-01-09 12:58 PM
in reply to: KTLiz

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED

Originally posted by KTLiz Hey Matt (and others), I'm working on this very thing - moving to working toward bilateral breathing. Question - can you explain what you mean by the 322232223222... Is that mixing bilateral with one side? I assume those are counts of individual arm reaches, right? Also someone mentioned about fully exhaling into the water, and that might be tiring (did I read that right?). I think that's the only way I "know how" to exhale right now and am wondering what else maybe I should be doing. I def need to spend some time on YouTube or find me a coach, even just for a little bit but early on before I settle into some bad habits. I have been doing one lap breathing on one side, and then return breathing on the other so I wouldn't be so reliant on just one. I only briefly tried the bilateral breathing but I INSTANTLY felt more balanced and faster, but will need more time to assess compared to 1-sided every time breath.

I think you have it all right already.  Yes, 3,2,2,2,3,2,2,2 would be 3 single arm strokes then breathing to one side three times, then three strokes and breathing to the other side, etc.  I do that because when I'm going hard I have trouble NOT breathing more frequently.

I'm sure it's something particular to swimming like a fish rather than a fisherman, but I just can't imagine doing "breath control" when running or biking.  

I think you're doing it right wrt breathing out in the water, too.  IIRC, and what the received wisdom says, it's always best to fully exhale underwater.  I think the comment might have been that doing so would have been harder, not that it's bad.

If you can already breathe to both sides comfortably, that's a great start for OWS utility on race day.  Throwing in some bilateral breathing would be good, too.

Rock on!

Matt

2014-01-09 8:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

How is everyone doing this week? Any highs or lows that aren't temperature related? Is there a thaw out in anyone's immediate future?

I got in a pretty good effort on Wednesday, so I feel pretty good about that. I continue to run, 5 times a week, prepping for a trail race in mid Feb. But mostly I am excited to put paint on the frame of my bike build this weekend. It should be a beautiful steel grey by Sunday night, and then a trip to the LBS to order parts. Fun, fun, fun.

Bike looks great!
2014-01-09 8:40 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I'm riding on the trainer as much as I can tolerate it, and I hope to do a very, very short run this weekend as I strained my left calf muscle about a week and a half back. My return to swimming has been going well, although I'm limiting myself to about 20 minutes/ 1,000 yds of swimming while I make sure that my collarbone/ shoulder is okay. A little bit of soreness, but I'm trying to make sure that it isn't causing me to develop poor form. Speaking of swimming, I'm curious what everyone is using for a wetsuit in OWS. I have a 2xU full suit that has been pretty good to me, but I'm curious if anyone uses a sleeveless suit? It seems like it would be a little easier to swim with. Anybody have experience with this?
2014-01-10 3:35 AM

User image

The bike is looking great, I love the simple elegance of these old frames.

In preparation of a first triathlon this year (although I haven't decided on a race yet), I have to focus a bit on the swimming. I did some tests today and the results are a bit dismal.
On 100 meters, if I swim normally, I get 2:40-2:45. If I use a kickboard (so only use my legs), I get a whooping 4:25. If I use a pull buoy (and an extremely light kick) I get 2:30. So the legs are really just slowing me down. I am a bit puzzled why, as they are not dropping down.
I should probably get a trainer and work on my technique a bit. A question for the group:
Should I get a trainer sooner or later ? By this I mean, should I wait to strengthen my upper body and then get a trainer or should I get a trainer before I develop a ton of bad habits ?

2014-01-10 5:37 AM
in reply to: ghyoc

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Ted, you are a FISH!!!! send me one of your gills please!!! As far as wetsuits, I have a full sleeve and I don't like it. I can barely get my arms in it and then the whole swim it is pulling my arms and wearing me out. I tried my wife's sleeveless wetsuit, was not a perfect fit but it made my arms feel better. So I just bought a sleeveless wetsuit for me. I have not swam in it yet but it is MUCH easier to get on and off.

Chip, do you mean a swim coach? I will tell you that I'm a poor kicker, horrible.... our swim times are about the same. The guy in town that qualified for Kona and beat some of the pros out of the water kicks a lot...for example, the last time I swam, he was there practicing, he swims about 10,000 yards per day...he was kicking when I got to the pool, not sure how long before I got there but he kicked for 30 minutes while I was there and the SAD part for me, he was lapping me and I was swimming, he was kicking.

Yes I would get a coach, I have already contacted a coach and this will be my 4th coach. My've been pleased w/ my coaches but they are all a little different, this one is associated with FSU. Some coaches are better than others, well see how she does????
2014-01-10 7:05 AM
in reply to: tedjohn

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by tedjohn I'm riding on the trainer as much as I can tolerate it, and I hope to do a very, very short run this weekend as I strained my left calf muscle about a week and a half back. My return to swimming has been going well, although I'm limiting myself to about 20 minutes/ 1,000 yds of swimming while I make sure that my collarbone/ shoulder is okay. A little bit of soreness, but I'm trying to make sure that it isn't causing me to develop poor form. Speaking of swimming, I'm curious what everyone is using for a wetsuit in OWS. I have a 2xU full suit that has been pretty good to me, but I'm curious if anyone uses a sleeveless suit? It seems like it would be a little easier to swim with. Anybody have experience with this?

I also have a 2xU suit.  The T3 from a couple years back (maybe an R:3, but I think T&hellip.

It's like a superhero suit for me - takes like 10"/100yds off my time, at least.  Partly, that's position.  Partly that it has a lot less drag than I have without it (picture swimming with a sweater on, and you'll get the idea of what I look like in the pool).  Partly, it's the ability to use a 2-beat kick and get propulsion from it while staying less tired than a 6-beat kick for a similar speed.

As for long sleeve, I actually like the catch/pull with the sleeve on.  Feels a bit "grippier" in the water.  That, and the suit helps pull through on my stroke - at the expense of a little bit of extra energy on the recovery I suppose, but worth it on race day for me.  I love swimming in that suit.

All that said, you have to find a suit the "suits" you (sorry for that)!  If you won't swim in it, then it's not worth it.  

Keep in mind, though, that the right fit for a wetsuit usually feels TERRIBLE on dry land until you get horizontal IN the water.  Makes it tough to select a suit at the store, but does matter.

YMMV - good luck!

Matt

2014-01-10 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ghyoc The bike is looking great, I love the simple elegance of these old frames. In preparation of a first triathlon this year (although I haven't decided on a race yet), I have to focus a bit on the swimming. I did some tests today and the results are a bit dismal. On 100 meters, if I swim normally, I get 2:40-2:45. If I use a kickboard (so only use my legs), I get a whooping 4:25. If I use a pull buoy (and an extremely light kick) I get 2:30. So the legs are really just slowing me down. I am a bit puzzled why, as they are not dropping down. I should probably get a trainer and work on my technique a bit. A question for the group: Should I get a trainer sooner or later ? By this I mean, should I wait to strengthen my upper body and then get a trainer or should I get a trainer before I develop a ton of bad habits ?

Agree that some coaching would be very valuable.  Just getting the form right will help you swim longer and faster at the same effort - which then leads to the ability to swim more and build strength/endurance.  Better to do so with the right form and engrain that into muscle memory.

One thought on the kick is that your feet (rather than your whole leg) could be pointing down a bit.  Even if you're keeping your legs high in the water, if your feet aren't dorsiflexed (pointy toed with your toes pointing more straight back than down) as you tool along, they will slow you down.  

You'd be amazed how much two little 8x4 inch speed brakes on a plane's wing will slow you down (deploy them by accident and you'll notice it - trust me on that one), and your feet are a similar size but in a MUCH thicker medium.  Every little bit makes a big difference in the water.

Disclaimer - I'm no fish!  And if you look at me in a pool, you'd never even read my swimming posts.  But, physics I get.  

YMMV

Matt

2014-01-10 7:33 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Thanks for your advice, I will probably get a coach.
Another strange thing is that I do around 84 strokes per 100 meters. At 2:45/100m it means 30spm which seem to be way low according to some articles that I've found. Since I breathe bilaterally it also means 10 breaths/minute which seems low. But if I try to speed up I run out of breath immediately.
2014-01-10 8:06 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Chip, are you following thru on your stroke. Most people I see stop their stroke when their arm is straight down, thus losing most of their propulsion.... now take that w/ a grain of salt since I swim like a rock.
2014-01-11 5:29 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I had the opportunity to watch Florida State's swim team practice while waiting for the master's swim to start. The one thing I noticed is tht they swam with ease, they were flying but it looked effortless. One thing I did see them practice a lot was when gliding, the lead hand, the fingers were breaking the water surface. While watching, I'm always analyzing stuff, I see that my arms is down about 30 degrees, thus slowing me down.

Now at Master;s swim, our warm up swim, I was practicing keeping the lead arm up, balancing in the water, still can't relax and make it fun though. Then we kicked and kicked and kicked... I am getting better since the 1st time I went back in December and couldn't finish the kick practice. Then we swam focusing on kicking and the stroke. My legs are sore now.

I have another master's swim today... after running almost 8 miles early. Wish me luck..lol
2014-01-11 8:33 AM

User image

I try to follow through, but past the vertical point I am not feeling much force. I will take my underwater camera and try to get a video so I can analyze it a bit.

How was everybody's Saturday. After a couple of very foggy weeks, the sun is shining, clear sky and +12 Celsius No dreadmill for me today

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Chip, are you following thru on your stroke. Most people I see stop their stroke when their arm is straight down, thus losing most of their propulsion.... now take that w/ a grain of salt since I swim like a rock.

2014-01-11 8:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Karl, my trail running brother! I got in 6 this morning and was reminded how many other muscles are involved in trail running. More props on your Trail HM! I hope everyone has a great weekend, stay safe and warm if you can.

Edited by cdban66 2014-01-11 8:41 AM
2014-01-11 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Chris, sore muscles.... yes it is difficult to run trails but i think it is good for supporting muscles... GREAT job!

Went to master's swim today,yep, I'm still the slowest but the weather was so bad most people did not show yup and I almost got 1 on 1 training. 1 hr and 15 minutes is brutal.... I also got almost 8 miles of running in.

The instrucor of the master's got me out of the pool to check my er should flexibility..it sux...

Leaving for Miami in the morning and won't be back until Friday late. ya'll train hard and I'll try to check in occasionally.
2014-01-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: KTLiz

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Originally posted by KTLiz

Hey Matt (and others),
I'm working on this very thing - moving to working toward bilateral breathing. Question - can you explain what you mean by the 322232223222... Is that mixing bilateral with one side? I assume those are counts of individual arm reaches, right? Also someone mentioned about fully exhaling into the water, and that might be tiring (did I read that right?). I think that's the only way I "know how" to exhale right now and am wondering what else maybe I should be doing. I def need to spend some time on YouTube or find me a coach, even just for a little bit but early on before I settle into some bad habits. I have been doing one lap breathing on one side, and then return breathing on the other so I wouldn't be so reliant on just one. I only briefly tried the bilateral breathing but I INSTANTLY felt more balanced and faster, but will need more time to assess compared to 1-sided every time breath.

Kate here is a good article on Bilateral breathing. It is a bit simple maybe easier also has some subtopics which are good.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/bilateral.html

2014-01-12 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by tedjohn

I'm riding on the trainer as much as I can tolerate it, and I hope to do a very, very short run this weekend as I strained my left calf muscle about a week and a half back. My return to swimming has been going well, although I'm limiting myself to about 20 minutes/ 1,000 yds of swimming while I make sure that my collarbone/ shoulder is okay. A little bit of soreness, but I'm trying to make sure that it isn't causing me to develop poor form. Speaking of swimming, I'm curious what everyone is using for a wetsuit in OWS. I have a 2xU full suit that has been pretty good to me, but I'm curious if anyone uses a sleeveless suit? It seems like it would be a little easier to swim with. Anybody have experience with this?

Since mid 80’ I owned a lot of 1 piece wetsuits and great wetsuits at that.

I went to a DeSoto T1 2 piece and will never go back. The fit and the unrestricted movement between the upper and the lower (johns) is amazing.

You got to try it. I think DeSoto has a 100% money back if you don’t’ like. I bought mine from DeSoto direct. Also you can mix sizes in uppers and lowers for a more custom fit.

2014-01-12 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Originally posted by tedjohn I'm riding on the trainer as much as I can tolerate it, and I hope to do a very, very short run this weekend as I strained my left calf muscle about a week and a half back. My return to swimming has been going well, although I'm limiting myself to about 20 minutes/ 1,000 yds of swimming while I make sure that my collarbone/ shoulder is okay. A little bit of soreness, but I'm trying to make sure that it isn't causing me to develop poor form. Speaking of swimming, I'm curious what everyone is using for a wetsuit in OWS. I have a 2xU full suit that has been pretty good to me, but I'm curious if anyone uses a sleeveless suit? It seems like it would be a little easier to swim with. Anybody have experience with this?
Since mid 80’ I owned a lot of 1 piece wetsuits and great wetsuits at that. I went to a DeSoto T1 2 piece and will never go back. The fit and the unrestricted movement between the upper and the lower (johns) is amazing. You got to try it. I think DeSoto has a 100% money back if you don’t’ like. I bought mine from DeSoto direct. Also you can mix sizes in uppers and lowers for a more custom fit.

Is it tougher in transition getting two pieces off?

2014-01-12 12:55 PM

Cycling question(s) for the group:

I'm fairly new to cycling so bare with me on these: 1) From what i understand so far a high RPM (90-100) in lower (easier) gears is better for you; but there is a lot of talk about power meters, what is a good target power rating while cycling if that is relevant? 2) I have noticed a day or two after cycling (mostly spinning) my calves our really tender and if I do more than 3-5 miles running they will lock up on me; is this from poor technique or just part of the growing pains of a beginner?

Thanks
Joel
2014-01-12 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by BrotherTri
Since mid 80’ I owned a lot of 1 piece wetsuits and great wetsuits at that. I went to a DeSoto T1 2 piece and will never go back. The fit and the unrestricted movement between the upper and the lower (johns) is amazing. You got to try it. I think DeSoto has a 100% money back if you don’t’ like. I bought mine from DeSoto direct. Also you can mix sizes in uppers and lowers for a more custom fit.

Is it tougher in transition getting two pieces off?

Well it is different and I think my stripping times are fairly close. I mean I can't grip about a few seconds. To be honest I don't really time myself.

As soon as I stand up coming out of the water I reach back pull UP my zipper with my lanyard. Then pull off the top as I am running to T1 and pull down the farmer johns to the hip. When I get into T1 I finish stripping the farmer johns.

It's all practice anyways. Some races better than others. I did a race last year in 58 degree water so not a lot on hand dexterity after the swim.
2014-01-12 3:54 PM
in reply to: jwthomas

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by jwthomas

Cycling question(s) for the group:

I'm fairly new to cycling so bare with me on these: 1) From what i understand so far a high RPM (90-100) in lower (easier) gears is better for you; but there is a lot of talk about power meters, what is a good target power rating while cycling if that is relevant? 2) I have noticed a day or two after cycling (mostly spinning) my calves our really tender and if I do more than 3-5 miles running they will lock up on me; is this from poor technique or just part of the growing pains of a beginner?

Thanks
Joel

I'll take a crack at this since I've dealt with some calf issues of late (can't speak about Power, as I don't have a Power Meter). Whether I'm cycling or running, I will have issues with my calf muscles, unless I stretch daily. It isn't so important before a ride or run, but definitely afterwards. I also try to stretch 10-15 minutes a day even on days when I'm not exercising. In addition, I will do some light calf stretches throughout the day. If I miss a day or two, I really notice the difference. Foam rolling and "The Stick" also seem to help me from having these issues.
2014-01-12 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

A few things.  First, on my run today I saw a Bald Eagle eating the carcass of a deer that coyotes killed and dragged out onto the Concord River.  Pretty dang cool, especially as I live within a dozen miles of a huge city!  I love that the wild remains close (and I get out in it fairly often, in season).

As for power meters, there are MANY options.  I have a Quarg on my road and tri bikes and really like them.  If you use the data, they can be most helpful (I like to integrate it with HR and RPE, but some JUST look at power).  There are other options, too, depending on budget and whether you switch wheels and bikes and the like.  I can only speak to the Quargs, and I like them.

As for cadence, being ABLE to spin at 90-100 is good, as that helps you work on your form (if you can maintain that cadence, you're spinning "good circles").  It can also be useful on flats or, for me, just before finishing the bike and running.  The high cadence helps loosen the legs, for me.

wrt calves being tight off the bike, I remember my first tri in the early 90's.  My calves turned into solid softballs of cramp at about 1k off the bike!  What I do, and this works for me, is to make sure I drop my heel as far as I can while staying within decent form and up my cadence to ~93-95.  This helps me loosen up a little and get my calves ready for the run.  Just what I do - YMMV.

Matt

2014-01-12 6:02 PM

User image

Thanks James I been reading up!

2014-01-12 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Karl that is a excellent point.

Chip here is a good read for a drill (Thumb touch Thigh Drill)

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_13.asp

Basically as you pull thru touch your thumb to your thigh before you lift the elbow. Feel the water (catch) on the hand the entire time.

2014-01-12 7:11 PM

Thanks, I'll be sure to continue stretching, rolling and using the stick. I need to be more consistent with all three as I typically break them (roller and stick) out of the closet only when I feel something funny going on.
2014-01-12 7:28 PM

Bald Eagle up close is really dang cool. Thanks for the feedback

Google the power meters and I don't think I'm ready or near a proficiency level to own one just yet. Does the "watts reading output" on the indoor cycles provide equivalent information and with power is it as simple as the more the better while maintain a high cadence?

I'll experiment with dropping the heal during my workouts.
2014-01-12 8:29 PM
in reply to: jwthomas

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by jwthomas Bald Eagle up close is really dang cool. Thanks for the feedback Google the power meters and I don't think I'm ready or near a proficiency level to own one just yet. Does the "watts reading output" on the indoor cycles provide equivalent information and with power is it as simple as the more the better while maintain a high cadence? I'll experiment with dropping the heal during my workouts.

Power is more used to set targets for different intervals and types of workouts, as well as to carefully measure your output during a race (so it's as even as possible and right at your race target - rather than having a lot of variability).

As such, it's a great training tool if you put the time into understanding it and working with it.  For racing, it can help keep you from blowing up and having periods of higher effort than is good (as HR lags effort, you can often spike huge power numbers for short times and not even know it until too late, blowing up your run after).

As for dropping your heel, please do note that I only do that within the limits of maintaining good form.  So, only a minor change in foot position to the edge of what works - and not beyond it.  Going too far could cause problems with your pedal stroke and mechanics, which would be bad.  It's a fairly subtle change for the last couple miles, but I notice it helps...

Good luck!

Matt

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13

RELATED POSTS

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 99240 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16211 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29734 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75

Started by slornow
Views: 60945 Posts: 1862

2014-05-16 5:48 PM GoldenSprocket

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 0
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : May 1, 2006
author : Team BT
The day of the triathlon was one of the best days of my life. I felt strong and healthy. Lots of friends and family came to cheer me on. The support was overwhelming.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Athletes should have completed at least one Olympic distance triathlon or swim 500 yards consecutively / bike 15 mile consecutively / run 3 miles consecutively.
date : May 9, 2005
author : mikericci
Sprint distance athletes should have completed 1-3 sprints and/or be able to swim 200 yards consecutively / bike 8 mile consecutively / run 1.5 miles consecutively.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Access to more articles, full training log features, an entire detailed training plan library and plan support - plus many additional perks.