BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2014-06-10 8:01 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Subject: RE: Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open
Originally posted by PsyTri

Originally posted by trei

Just finished my race report also. Took 3rd in my age group. Before everyone gets excited I have to say there were a total of 6 males 40-44 doing the Olympic distance, so..... Great weather and water temperature. I did wear a partial wetsuit per report. Bike speed needs to be improved, but probably not much to be gained in two weeks before my next Olympic distance.
-Todd

Great report! Again, you were cooking out there. What kind of times were the other AG'ers ahead of you putting up in S-B-R? For olympic, looked pretty solid to me.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my race report...On the swim the faster swimmers ranged from 23 minutes to 29 minutes (I had 30 minutes). On the bike the fastest person in my AG was 6 minutes faster while I was 30 seconds behind the next closest person and on the run I finished 2 seconds behind the leader.

- Todd

2014-06-10 8:50 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

Thanks everyone for your comments on my race report...On the swim the faster swimmers ranged from 23 minutes to 29 minutes (I had 30 minutes). On the bike the fastest person in my AG was 6 minutes faster while I was 30 seconds behind the next closest person and on the run I finished 2 seconds behind the leader.

- Todd

Todd,

Looks like your run really leveled the playing field! Way to go. I'm always interested in how things stack up in the AG, which we share!

Gary
2014-06-10 8:51 AM

User image

Going for a new saddle and a fitting this evening. Pretty pumped.
2014-06-10 8:53 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Anyone racing this weekend?

I'll be fishing in Northern Wisconsin the rest of the week. I may be offline until Sunday night. Have a great week everyone!
2014-06-10 8:55 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

" fitting this evening"

This
2014-06-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Gary,
Hope you find the perfect saddle.

Question: Has anyone found the best way to remove those triathlon tattoo numbers. I've tried rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar which limited success. The tattoos are nice because they are very visible, but they take forever to wear off unlike the tradition sharpie method.

- Todd

2014-06-10 11:00 AM
in reply to: trei

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by trei

Gary,
Hope you find the perfect saddle.

Question: Has anyone found the best way to remove those triathlon tattoo numbers. I've tried rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and vinegar which limited success. The tattoos are nice because they are very visible, but they take forever to wear off unlike the tradition sharpie method.

- Todd

Try hand sanitizer or oil (baby or olive).
2014-06-10 2:08 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
+1. Moisturizer or cold cream
2014-06-10 6:42 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I've pretty much loaded our vehicle and we're heading out early tomorrow to Vancouver and a ferry over to Vancouver Island in preparation for my Victoria Olympic on Sunday.  I won't be anywhere near as fast as Todd darn it.  We won't be back until next Tuesday so I likely won't get a race report done until Wednesday.

Went out for a first swim in Okanagan Lake this morning.  The water was quite cool - definitely wetsuit weather - but once we got swimming it was pretty nice and very flat/calm.  I felt really comfortable in the water and I felt fast as well.  The only thing slowing me down was keeping an eye on my friend (has asthma issues in the cold water) and my wife accompanying us in a kayak.

I had my wife wear my Garmin and she clocked the distance at 1947m from Peach to Sicamous and back.  The first half I sighted from yellow buoy to the next accurately but on the return they were nearly invisible so it was a fair bit harder to swim straight so I gave up and just swam straight for the Peach.

Soon after we got out of the lake the wind came up and really whipped up the waves.

2014-06-10 6:52 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I've pretty much loaded our vehicle and we're heading out early tomorrow to Vancouver and a ferry over to Vancouver Island in preparation for my Victoria Olympic on Sunday.  I won't be anywhere near as fast as Todd darn it.  We won't be back until next Tuesday so I likely won't get a race report done until Wednesday.

Went out for a first swim in Okanagan Lake this morning.  The water was quite cool - definitely wetsuit weather - but once we got swimming it was pretty nice and very flat/calm.  I felt really comfortable in the water and I felt fast as well.  The only thing slowing me down was keeping an eye on my friend (has asthma issues in the cold water) and my wife accompanying us in a kayak.

I had my wife wear my Garmin and she clocked the distance at 1947m from Peach to Sicamous and back.  The first half I sighted from yellow buoy to the next accurately but on the return they were nearly invisible so it was a fair bit harder to swim straight so I gave up and just swam straight for the Peach.

Soon after we got out of the lake the wind came up and really whipped up the waves.

George

Thats really fun up there and you have a very supportive wifey . SAG Team + Kayak Sighter/Timer. I want to retire and be as strong as you when my time
comes have a wonderful race bro. Olympic is your race bro own it

Goodluck!!!

2014-06-10 8:48 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Have fun this weekend George!

2014-06-10 9:17 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Does a 10 min PB mean you beat your personal best in the half marathon by 10 minutes? What was your time? Is that your planned race pace? Can you "capture" that by knowing what you did differently?

Yes, it means I beat my previous best time by ten minutes. I ran a 1:44:43.

My "A" race is a half ironman but its not till Feb 2015, although I am running two HM's before then (July and October).

It told me that I can maintain a 5:00 per km pace for longer than I thought. It means that next time a run a HM I know how hard I can go out, and how to pace myself better.

2014-06-11 3:02 AM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

George, best of luck with the trip and the race, and above all, have fun! Oh!...I know you will .

Chris, that's a cracking pace for the HM, it'll be interesting to see your time in July! What HIM next Feb are you aiming for?

2014-06-11 8:29 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

George: Have a fabulous race. Can't wait to read your report - I know it will be awesome!

Chris: Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are really progressing and learning what you need to from your training. Self-awareness is so important.

All: Went for the bike fitting last night. Got a new Cobb split saddle. The fitter, who is really experienced and used the Retul system, felt that Nytro sold me the wrong size bike! Said I belong on a 58 not a 56! (put a call into Nytro to see what they have to say). Had to swap out my stem for a 120mm, which puts me further out over the front than is customary. He felt that it was workable, and it does feel a lot better. Better and different. Went for a 45 min ride this morning, with intervals, etc. Felt more power and was WAY more comfortable in aero, which I kept for most of the ride. Almost no tingling. Still, not 100% sold on the saddle because did have some discomfort. Do need to ride in cycling shorts instead of tri shorts and see if that helps. I have 10 days to swap it out if it's not the right one. I'll keep at it.

Looking to fill in my race calendar for the rest of the year. Seriously considering the Rocketman tri at the Kennedy Space Center. It's a sprint distance swim and run with a 32 mile bike ride that winds through the launching area and the GIANT vehicle assembly plant. Looks pretty wicked. I was just there for a tour a few months ago. It should be pretty amazing by bike.
2014-06-11 7:59 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Going for a new saddle and a fitting this evening. Pretty pumped.

How did you go...? Was it successful?

I am really struggling to find the right saddle, so the "saddle circus" continues...

2014-06-11 8:04 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Originally posted by Taringa

George, best of luck with the trip and the race, and above all, have fun! Oh!...I know you will .

Chris, that's a cracking pace for the HM, it'll be interesting to see your time in July! What HIM next Feb are you aiming for?

Thanks Anna. Frankly, I'm scared at the thought of July. I'm not sure I can go any faster, and race pace HM's just plain hurt!

I'm signed up for Challenge Melbourne in Feb 2015.

2014-06-12 3:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Gary, that bike fitting sounds like money well spent. Anything that makes you more comfortable perched on a bike has got to be good! I hope the new saddle works for you, it's so hard to find one that fits. I've ended up with a Selle Italia Lady Flow which is pretty good. Not perfect, but I suspect a proper bike fitting would rectify that. Must get onto it one day...

Chris, I'm sure your July race will go well....it's "only" an hour and three-quarters of hurt, or even less! I'm in the Gold Coast HM ( 6th or 7th July I think...4 weeks from now, anyway) and I'd like to crack 2:15. My fantasy brain is hoping for 2:00 but I think that's unrealistic this year. Maybe after another year of conditioning and slowly getting faster I'll do it. 

Challenge Melb looks like a good course, flattish and fast. Picturesque, too, but maybe very windy?. Fantastic location for a big pasta feed afterwards followed by coffee and cakes. Mmmmm....

Edited by Taringa 2014-06-12 3:35 AM
2014-06-12 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

feeling kind of in the dumps since i can't work out on this ankle.  any suggestions what i can do?

2014-06-12 8:01 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

George,
Thats the beauty of triathlon I think. At least for me, its a competition against myself. Trying to best my previous times. Of course, the weather and the particular course can have a big impact. And I have no illusions that some day I won't be able to best myself anymore. That day maybe coming sooner than I think (or want) . Have a good race. By the way I am super jealous of the environment you get to race in! I love the Seattle area.
- Todd
2014-06-12 8:11 AM

User image

Gary,
The bike fitting sounds like money well spent. I have the same issue with bike size although I only have my self to blame. A couple of years ago when I decided to get into this sport. I wanted to keep things on the cheap, so tried to determine what size bike I would need off several online forums then purchased my bike over Ebay. When I took it in to the LBS for some routine service I also was told it wasn' t the right size. I too had to put extension on the front handlebars ( which really helped by the way). Some day I will truly purchase a top tri bike, but this one has gotten me through a lot of races so far and I feel a certain connection to it (like an old pair of running shoes ). Short story is... its amazing what you can make work.
-Todd
2014-06-12 8:39 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Originally posted by mehaner

feeling kind of in the dumps since i can't work out on this ankle.  any suggestions what i can do?

SWIM! If the ankle bothers you, use the pull buoy. Or get one of those flotation devices for water jogging. I've heard it's a great cardio workout.

2014-06-12 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

SWIM! If the ankle bothers you, use the pull buoy. Or get one of those flotation devices for water jogging. I've heard it's a great cardio workout.

hahaha, too much pride for aqua jogging in the pool i train in...i haven't been to the pool this week cause i feel like kicking would be MISERABLE pain.  biking would be OK if i didn't have SPD pedals and need to twist my foot to get in and out...tried that on the trainer, OUCH

2014-06-12 11:12 AM

User image

hahaha, too much pride for aqua jogging in the pool i train in...i haven't been to the pool this week cause i feel like kicking would be MISERABLE pain.  biking would be OK if i didn't have SPD pedals and need to twist my foot to get in and out...tried that on the trainer, OUCH

Don't knock it! There's a pretty serious triathlete in my neighborhood that I caught doing that while rehabbing an injury. You could always fill up your bathtub!
2014-06-12 8:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Swim with a pull buoy? Single-leg bike on trainer? Well, probably shouldn't do too much of that if you want quads that are the same size.

Bummer! Hope it mends quickly!

2014-06-13 10:03 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

swimming is painless!  woo hoo!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers And Mashers - Part 3 - Open Rss Feed  

of 28

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38700 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 74173 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.