BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-05-27 3:58 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by melbo55

TJ - bandits?!  Interesting choice of terminology, but scary just the same!

Adrienne - you do the most awesome stuff.

The description of another trail down there mentioned several tarantula sightings. That's a whole different level of spider...

2015-05-27 4:00 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

OK, honest thoughts of the manatees:  what would one's (ok, MY) biggest limiter be as far as running speed?  Weight?  Overall size? (I am NOT a small person, 5'10" and roughly 175 lbs)  Lack of natural running talent?  Form?  Breathing issues (EIA and VCD)?  A blend of all of the above?

I bring this up because in my last tri, I made some really nice gains in all disciplines including running, but running is still my most pathetic endeavour.  Swim and bike I finished top third and top half OA respectively (128/367 swim, 170/367 bike), top fourth women in both (28/122 swim, 29/122 bike).  Running I was in the back half of both OA and women (256/367 OA, 69/122 women).

It was very discouraging to be on the run, running my guts out, and being passed like I was standing still by so many people.

I felt the same way as you. I decided mileage and weight were easily the lowest hanging fruit. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've started the BarryP program to work my mileage up. I've temporarily stopped eating for "performance" (lol) and have focused on dropping a little bad weight (lost a few lbs so far). With the combination of these (not sure which gets more credit), I'm already seeing a decreased heart rate to maintain certain paces on my training runs. I'm guessing that means I'm making progress at becoming a better runner.
2015-05-27 4:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Asalzwed

OK, honest thoughts of the manatees:  what would one's (ok, MY) biggest limiter be as far as running speed?  Weight?  Overall size? (I am NOT a small person, 5'10" and roughly 175 lbs)  Lack of natural running talent?  Form?  Breathing issues (EIA and VCD)?  A blend of all of the above?

I bring this up because in my last tri, I made some really nice gains in all disciplines including running, but running is still my most pathetic endeavour.  Swim and bike I finished top third and top half OA respectively (128/367 swim, 170/367 bike), top fourth women in both (28/122 swim, 29/122 bike).  Running I was in the back half of both OA and women (256/367 OA, 69/122 women).

It was very discouraging to be on the run, running my guts out, and being passed like I was standing still by so many people.

mileage!

That's kind of what I was thinking too.

So just keep running and maybe trying to run more?  Perhaps that can be some off-season focus for next year...

Is time your limiter? 

Yes, keep running but even better, run more. It doesn't even have to be fast or hard, just more.

2015-05-27 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black

I felt the same way as you. I decided mileage and weight were easily the lowest hanging fruit. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I've started the BarryP program to work my mileage up. I've temporarily stopped eating for "performance" (lol) and have focused on dropping a little bad weight (lost a few lbs so far). With the combination of these (not sure which gets more credit), I'm already seeing a decreased heart rate to maintain certain paces on my training runs. I'm guessing that means I'm making progress at becoming a better runner.

Melanie, Any time I up the mileage/time spent running, I see improvement. It may not be much, but I do improve when I up the ante, be it more time or more mileage. More trips out the door can sound challenging, but even just a couple miles more a couple times a week makes a difference for me. I really need to make the weight adjustment that Sean mentions.  I think I read that you gain 10 seconds per mile per pound lost somewhere once, but I'm thinking that is bunk. I mean, I'd like to think that I can gain 200 seconds by doing what I need to do weightwise, but I'm just not sure I buy it. I probably ought to try though, what do I have to lose?

All that said, your last race was AWESOME, Podium girl!

Edited by cdban66 2015-05-27 4:34 PM
2015-05-27 4:35 PM

User image

Seattle

Going back to our gender discussion (don't worry, it's the "lite" version) I am on the corporate architecture team here at the BUX. One of the guys in more of the  standards side of the team just came over and was showing me some interesting exploration into restroom signage so that it's nondiscriminatory.  There were some CRAZY iterations and ideas but what someone came up with was so simple, and such a no-brainer. Just a simple image of a toilet. Duh. What's behind that door? Oh a toilet. That's all I need to know. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-05-27 4:39 PM
2015-05-27 4:39 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Jet Black

Melanie, Any time I up the mileage/time spent running, I see improvement. It may not be much, but I do improve when I up the ante, be it more time or more mileage. More trips out the door can sound challenging, but even just a couple miles more a couple times a week makes a difference for me. I really need to make the weight adjustment that Sean mentions.  I think I read that you gain 10 seconds per mile per pound lost somewhere once, but I'm thinking that is bunk. I mean, I'd like to think that I can gain 200 seconds by doing what I need to do weightwise, but I'm just not sure I buy it. I probably ought to try though, what do I have to lose?

All that said, your last race was AWESOME, Podium girl!

Nah, no sense getting into the lb stuff.  I have seen ALL kinds of body types run successfully and make improvements.

I can guarantee, you run more (in a responsible, sustainable way) you will get faster. Granted you will see diminishing returns at some threshold (I'm thinking in the 85-90 miles range, but that's likely subjective) but I don't think you need to think about that for now  

2015-05-27 5:27 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Going back to our gender discussion (don't worry, it's the "lite" version) I am on the corporate architecture team here at the BUX. One of the guys in more of the  standards side of the team just came over and was showing me some interesting exploration into restroom signage so that it's nondiscriminatory.  There were some CRAZY iterations and ideas but what someone came up with was so simple, and such a no-brainer. Just a simple image of a toilet. Duh. What's behind that door? Oh a toilet. That's all I need to know. 

Love it!!

2015-05-27 5:30 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

TJ - bandits?!  Interesting choice of terminology, but scary just the same!

Adrienne - you do the most awesome stuff.

The description of another trail down there mentioned several tarantula sightings. That's a whole different level of spider...

Hm.  Maybe you should consider running on a treadmill while in the area....

(Actually, as scary as they look, tarantulas really aren't all that dangerous.  Now scorpions--that's a whole different ball of wax.)

2015-05-27 7:13 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Kingsley gets flummoxed often by bizarre men's/women's toilet designations--usually there's some indecipherable drawing. He can't see enough detail to tell what it is, much less whether it's supposed to represent male or female.

Large neon signs depicting just a toilet (in public places) would be really helpful in finding them at all in the first place!

2015-05-27 7:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

So I will be in Las Cruces this Friday/Saturday for work so I researched doing my trail run there. I was looking at a trail that looked interesting but had the following disclaimer:

NOTE: Due to an intermittent problem with bandits in the area, it is not recommended to hike this mountain alone. Going in groups, or hiking on one of the several days each year the mountain is patrolled and open for touring is a safer option.

"Bandits"?!?! I guess I do live in the wild west.

Hahaha, for some reason, reading this I got the mental image of Blazing Saddles!   

You are probably more on track than I but for some reason I had this image:

(2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-A-Colored-Man-in-Lucille-s-kitchen-arrested-development-7915702-300-167.gif)

(tumblr_lolebnC6ai1qgh81zo1_500.png)

(tth7CI.png)

Attachments
----------------
2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-A-Colored-Man-in-Lucille-s-kitchen-arrested-development-7915702-300-167.gif (1334KB - 3 downloads)
tumblr_lolebnC6ai1qgh81zo1_500.png (413KB - 3 downloads)
tth7CI.png (260KB - 3 downloads)
2015-05-28 1:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
so I may have just arranged to take this for a test ride tomorrow
I am promising myself that I am only going to buy it if I absolutely love the feel of riding it and if they will come to the party with some black pedals and some new bar tape (bright green maybe). It is already 20% off so I don't think that they will budge much on the price.

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-28 3:47 AM

(Bike.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Bike.JPG (49KB - 3 downloads)

2015-05-28 7:07 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

MANATEES, mucho pleaso your help for a big favor.

Kingsley and I are still batting around (more like playing 9+ inning full mental games) developing a highly specified/specifiable location-tracking site (with mobile apps) and the compact wearable device. (My sister might also take a hacksaw to me if I get lost/crash/wander/stop too long on a race course yet again. Good luck finding me! Haha!)

No, it doesn't exist in a genuinely globally available dependable supported (and supportable for the future) form. The two closest things are:

- SPOT tracker http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100 (downsides: too clunky, dep/up satellite technology which can be super great or super awful, so "real-time" in consistent intervals is actually significantly less dependable than cellular networks, $$$$$, not athlete-focused--focuses on safety/emergency functioning which is great & needed but a secondary rather than primary function in our purposes)

http://www.myathletelive.com/ (downsides: works with 2g, been promising for nearly 2yrs you can buy it but you still can't, great out-of-the-box in the U.S. but hit-or-miss in other countries, esp. since most have fully migrated to 3G and at least partially 4G, costs to rent what we'd sell to buy)

Less close are the Samsung Gear S smartwatch (takes own SIM) and Garmin GT10 (discontinued). Believe me, we've done our research (and hired other professionals! same result).

People can, and a few do, take their smartphones with them on races--but a) who wants to do that?! and b) in many bike and most multisport races, it's illegal. Not too good for the swim, either! (our tracker would be waterproof but work intermittently in water, much like Garmins currently do).

Both Ironman and Challenge have their pros wearing such trackers in marquee races, but they aren't available to the public yet, and when they are, I can almost guarantee a) they'll be more expensive to rent than to buy our product would be, and b) they will make it proprietary to particular races.

Every week, there's a thread in Tri Talk (about every month even at ST!) by someone who wants exactly such an off-the-shelf tracking device.

Here's where we're at. Don't hit the floor.

To develop the site, apps, and device in a place where the software, hardware, and marketing will be protectable and protected by trade law and copyrights;With really good security and working security including hardware, backup hardware and servers;
Providing on-going service & support for at least two years;

It's going to cost US $400,000

We're looking at a buy-in of US $200 (device, programs, service, support). That's still significantly less than any other (not really comparable) product.

From when we have the funds to when consumers would have a working device in hand = 30 weeks. (Safe, could be as low as 20) Considering that includes shipping, acceptable or not?

We have a few big interested sponsors but the vast majority would be through fixed-funding crowdsourcing (means if we don't raise the total, you get your money back).

I think we can do it. The Indonesian market alone is massive. Indonesians drive Twitter, FB, instagram, you name it. We are the socialmediadrivingest people there are. Everybody wants to track everybody, but nobody wants to bring their expensive smartphone with them on a sweaty dirty half-marathon or anything longer or a triathlon.

SO THE BIG QUESTIONS ARE:

1. What are your initial thoughts?

2. Would you be interested in a product? What features? *for the highly data/option driven, please see attachment

3. Any advice in part or whole?

4. Please, any additional questions?

Or are we just fachmie crazy as usual?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK!

Attachments
----------------
tracker-hardware-spec-brief.pdf (24KB - 1 downloads)
2015-05-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

DH came across this in the NY Times:  Slushies v. Frozen Underwear.  And....discuss.

2015-05-28 9:31 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK so I may have just arranged to take this for a test ride tomorrow I am promising myself that I am only going to buy it if I absolutely love the feel of riding it and if they will come to the party with some black pedals and some new bar tape (bright green maybe). It is already 20% off so I don't think that they will budge much on the price.

It's about time! I know that you've had your eye on this for at least a year!

2015-05-28 9:35 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

DH came across this in the NY Times:  Slushies v. Frozen Underwear.  And....discuss.

I do not understand words like "or" and "v."

The correct answer is always AND.

We thought we had it bad in Vietnam with the heat ... a du (90K bike/21.1K run) was held in Jakarta on a new, not-yet-open toll highway.

Vietnam: air temps at 38C much of the day with the ground we were actually running on 40-44C.

Jakarta: air temps at 36C much of the day with the ground temp maxing out at 53C. People's shoe bottoms were getting sticky. Run on the white lines! I'll bet they'd have dumped Slushies into their frozen undies if they could ...

2015-05-28 9:41 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Kingsley and I are still batting around (more like playing 9+ inning full mental games) developing a highly specified/specifiable location-tracking site (with mobile apps) and the compact wearable device. (My sister might also take a hacksaw to me if I get lost/crash/wander/stop too long on a race course yet again. Good luck finding me! Haha!)

No, it doesn't exist in a genuinely globally available dependable supported (and supportable for the future) form. The two closest things are:

- SPOT tracker http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100 (downsides: too clunky, dep/up satellite technology which can be super great or super awful, so "real-time" in consistent intervals is actually significantly less dependable than cellular networks, $$$$$, not athlete-focused--focuses on safety/emergency functioning which is great & needed but a secondary rather than primary function in our purposes)

http://www.myathletelive.com/ (downsides: works with 2g, been promising for nearly 2yrs you can buy it but you still can't, great out-of-the-box in the U.S. but hit-or-miss in other countries, esp. since most have fully migrated to 3G and at least partially 4G, costs to rent what we'd sell to buy)

Less close are the Samsung Gear S smartwatch (takes own SIM) and Garmin GT10 (discontinued). Believe me, we've done our research (and hired other professionals! same result).

People can, and a few do, take their smartphones with them on races--but a) who wants to do that?! and b) in many bike and most multisport races, it's illegal. Not too good for the swim, either! (our tracker would be waterproof but work intermittently in water, much like Garmins currently do).

Both Ironman and Challenge have their pros wearing such trackers in marquee races, but they aren't available to the public yet, and when they are, I can almost guarantee a) they'll be more expensive to rent than to buy our product would be, and b) they will make it proprietary to particular races.

Every week, there's a thread in Tri Talk (about every month even at ST!) by someone who wants exactly such an off-the-shelf tracking device.

To develop the site, apps, and device in a place where the software, hardware, and marketing will be protectable and protected by trade law and copyrights;With really good security and working security including hardware, backup hardware and servers;

We're looking at a buy-in of US $200 (device, programs, service, support). That's still significantly less than any other (not really comparable) product.

From when we have the funds to when consumers would have a working device in hand = 30 weeks. (Safe, could be as low as 20) Considering that includes shipping, acceptable or not?

We have a few big interested sponsors but the vast majority would be through fixed-funding crowdsourcing (means if we don't raise the total, you get your money back).

I think we can do it. The Indonesian market alone is massive. Indonesians drive Twitter, FB, instagram, you name it. We are the socialmediadrivingest people there are. Everybody wants to track everybody, but nobody wants to bring their expensive smartphone with them on a sweaty dirty half-marathon or anything longer or a triathlon.

2. Would you be interested in a product? What features? *for the highly data/option driven, please see attachment

What size would the device be?  Would it be similar to http://www.myathletelive.com/product/ but waterproof?

How would it upload the data?  I mean, if there is no cell phone coverage in the area (no/poor coverage on parts of the Vineman course, for instance. no.poor coverage in some areas around Asheville, NC.) or, say, you are an American athlete competing in Europe where they use different cell phone networks (or vice versa)? 

2015-05-28 9:49 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Just a little brag.  I ran a 5k cross-country race yesterday and gave an all-out effort.  I averaged 8:57/mile, the fastest I've ever done (total time 27:42).  My pace was also pretty consistent and my 3rd mi. was faster than the 2nd despite being mostly on grass instead of pavement/crushed rock path.  I finished low in the rankings (22/24 OA, 4/6 women).  Even so, I'm *really* proud of myself!!

2015-05-28 9:51 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Just a little brag.  I ran a 5k cross-country race yesterday and gave an all-out effort.  I averaged 8:57/mile, the fastest I've ever done (total time 27:42).  My pace was also pretty consistent and my 3rd mi. was faster than the 2nd despite being mostly on grass instead of pavement/crushed rock path.  I finished low in the rankings (22/24 OA, 4/6 women).  Even so, I'm *really* proud of myself!!

Woo hoo!  PR!!!!!!

2015-05-28 10:20 AM
in reply to: #5116906

User image

Denver, CO
Stacey, looks pretty sweet despite the lack of orange. :-) You deserve it and should totally go for it!!
2015-05-28 10:28 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

What size would the device be?  Would it be similar to http://www.myathletelive.com/product/ but waterproof?

How would it upload the data?  I mean, if there is no cell phone coverage in the area (no/poor coverage on parts of the Vineman course, for instance. no.poor coverage in some areas around Asheville, NC.) or, say, you are an American athlete competing in Europe where they use different cell phone networks (or vice versa)? 

Interesting idea.  I know that in most of the larger races I've done the race does the athlete tracking.  Of course, that is only at certain points along the course; but wonder, is there a demand to have more contact with the racer?  Or is it an issue of if we build it they will come?  

2015-05-28 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

That's all kinds of awesome!  You should be proud!!

2015-05-28 10:37 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

That's awesome! Way to go!
2015-05-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by jmkizer

Interesting idea.  I know that in most of the larger races I've done the race does the athlete tracking.  Of course, that is only at certain points along the course; but wonder, is there a demand to have more contact with the racer?  Or is it an issue of if we build it they will come?  

I would love to have something that tracks better. I used myathletlive for Oceanside and it was a great way for my family to track me to know when I'd be where.  I have no problem taking my phone for running races and long training runs but the coverage is sketchy, even in town. I've tried several apps and all of them have dropped the tracking during a long run or race.  I couldn't even start the tracker for my marathon because it was up in the hills.

What I don't need, however, is another big gadget to wear. I have my gps watch, and always carry my phone for training runs and races when it's allowed, but if the new tracker gadget were reliable and not too bulky and I could use it for training and races, I'd be very interested at that price point.

2015-05-28 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Niiiiiiicccccccceeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2015-05-28 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Not in my ranking system!  You rocked it and SHOULD be really (no asterisks) proud of yourself! 

Matt

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67907 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28863 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12238 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38325 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67475 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.