BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-01-24 2:40 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Hahahaha!  I was on board but I think Mike likes the bike, despite his dislike of the, ahem, AFC representative in the upcoming Super Bowl.

2019-01-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by sappho96

I love this jersey!

[/QUOTE]

thanks it is pretty decent material soon so looking forward to summer rides in it

2019-01-24 2:45 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Got my brick in yesterday, though the bike portion was on the trainer.  30 minutes with some tempo work mixed in, followed by a 1:46 T2 (!) and a 15 minute high paced run.

I'm just miserable at transitions.  T1, ok - sometimes there's a long run from the water, plus you need to remove a wetsuit.  But T2, the bike and run are usually close and you're changing a minimum number of things.  And since I was on the trainer I didn't have a helmet to deal with.  And it still took me almost 2 mins to swap shoes and grab a hat and sunglasses.  And I didn't have to run from bike dismount.  Any tips other than setting up transition in my yard and pretending I'm racing?

Elastic laces? also do you *need* sunnies/hat? I did my only triathlon in England so clearly didn't but was wondering if ditching them might help?

2019-01-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e Swim Squad this morning only got in 1200 yds but it was ROUGH. We focused on sprints today. After warmup and some 75s, we did 8x50 stroke (we all did IM order) on 4:00. We all saw 4:00 and were like, that's way too long. NOPE. My arms are dead. I tried to fold a sheet after and had to keep resting my arms, lol

Wow! I think I'd drown if I tried any 50 fly! 

2019-01-24 4:03 PM

User image

Hi all, I'm back!

NAME: Sandi

STORY: Long story short, started doing tris about 5-6 years ago. I'd been running for a few years, had been training for some OWS races, started biking, and figured, why not. I quickly got hooked on the training and lifestyle, although have only done sprints. Unfortunately, in 2015 I contracted a rare disease (one in 2 million people get it....I really would have preferred winning the lottery) and lost the eyesight in one eye very quickly, which was followed by several surgeries and a few years of heavy steroid treatment. End result was still blindness, although I have managed to keep the eyeball in my head. I've done a few short sprints since, but training has been difficult and derailed due to complications, primarily from the long term effects of steroids although two years worth of heavy smoke due to wildfires in the west were what prevented me from later summer races I otherwise likely would have made. I am still hoping to do tris in the coming year, so have hired a great physical therapist and personal trainer to help with those goals...right now I'm battling rotator cuff tendinopathy (last year I was hoping it was tendinitis, which unfortunately has not proven to be the case).

FAMILY STATUS: Married with a pack of dogs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Because of the shoulder issues, my exercise has unfortunately been limited to running. I haven't been able to swim for well over a year, but am actively working on a rehab schedule so still have hope. Once my shoulder is stronger and the days are longer, I'll take up the bike again and with any luck, the pool.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I am still debating this. I have my eye on several tris, some out of state, but really can't plan until/unless I know whether swimming will be an option (I literally can not do a lap of freestyle right now). If not, I'll aim for some duathlons. Last year I did manage my goal of 12 5K's to keep myself at least in decent running condition, and this year am aiming for 13 races of some sort, even if shorter running races. I'd really like to do a longer cycle event as well.

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: From my resolution list!!!
1) lose 15 lbs
2) 13 races
3) Run a 10K
4) Move forward 2019 miles (can be any kind).
5) Run (or walk if can't run) a minimum of 51 miles/month.
To accomplish all of these, I HAVE to keep up with the other resolution/goal, which is a very clear treatment and exercise regimen and developing a schedule which allows me to get stronger and avoid injury.

WEIGHTLOSS: I tend to lose weight and maintain a good weight once training well, but also have tended to count on this a little too heavily the past few years when also being derailed. End result is that earlier this month I was the heaviest I've been in my life, which I'm also determined to change. I'm down six pounds and am definitely working on a lifestyle change with the PT and figuring out a schedule that works. I really enjoy beer and food, and don't appreciate having to give them up which I am able to avoid as long as I'm putting in the exercise.

DRINK OF CHOICE: A damn good IPA. :-)
2019-01-24 4:48 PM
in reply to: sandishr

User image

Master
brummie land

Ouch! Having had rotator cuff surgery I can empathise! One thing I did to stop me going crazy (or crazier...) was kick sets during my swim clubs mains sessions (bottom lane so no problem getting in people's way). I saw my mates, got my chlorine fix but did't jack up my shoulder anymore.

Just an idea!

2019-01-24 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
SANDI!!!!! Good to hear from you!
2019-01-24 7:06 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Hi Sandi!!!!!!!  Welcome back!

2019-01-24 7:19 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome back, Sandi!!!
2019-01-24 7:19 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Swim Squad this morning only got in 1200 yds but it was ROUGH. We focused on sprints today. After warmup and some 75s, we did 8x50 stroke (we all did IM order) on 4:00. We all saw 4:00 and were like, that's way too long. NOPE. My arms are dead. I tried to fold a sheet after and had to keep resting my arms, lol

Fly is my favorite! It hurts so good!
2019-01-24 10:22 PM

User image

Ouch! Having had rotator cuff surgery I can empathise! One thing I did to stop me going crazy (or crazier...) was kick sets during my swim clubs mains sessions (bottom lane so no problem getting in people's way). I saw my mates, got my chlorine fix but did't jack up my shoulder anymore.

Just an idea!

I'll definitely start with kick sets once I'm clear to do so. The shoulder is in pretty bad shape and my PT doesn't want me doing much of anything that involves it until it is better. I have some neck and back muscles that are overworking and overcompensating and causing all sorts of issues (which is complicated by being monocular so I'm always tending to overuse my sighted side, also the injured side), so until they calm down and everything fires correctly, I'm not even supposed to be on a bike (or holding a kick buoy). Things are significantly better, but I already know that I can take a few weeks off and think I"m all better but the moment I start swimming freestyle it's all over. Got to take it slow (damn it).

Great to hear from all of you!!!!

Sandi

2019-01-25 8:10 AM

User image

Hi Sandi!

Originally posted by nicole14e

Someday, after I think I know what I'm doing with the freestyle, I'd love to learn breast & butterfly... Someday.
2019-01-25 1:04 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by sandishr

Just an idea!

I'll definitely start with kick sets once I'm clear to do so. The shoulder is in pretty bad shape and my PT doesn't want me doing much of anything that involves it until it is better. I have some neck and back muscles that are overworking and overcompensating and causing all sorts of issues (which is complicated by being monocular so I'm always tending to overuse my sighted side, also the injured side), so until they calm down and everything fires correctly, I'm not even supposed to be on a bike (or holding a kick buoy). Things are significantly better, but I already know that I can take a few weeks off and think I"m all better but the moment I start swimming freestyle it's all over. Got to take it slow (damn it).

Great to hear from all of you!!!!

Sandi

As you get back into swimming, it might be a good time to work with a coach if it is feasible/affordable for you to fix any stroke issues that may be exacerbating your shoulder issues. I mean, if you have stroke issues.
2019-01-25 1:07 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sat down to work at 5:30 this morning with the intention of doing my run at 11 and then swim at 12:30. Just looked up and it is 1pm. Ugh...can't get to the pool and now there is no time to run before I have to teach. Okay, I totally could get my 30 minute run in, but with warm up, cool down, and the run, there would be no time for a shower before I teach, and that would be bad. So, despite my coach's carefully laid plan, I will be doing tomorrow's bike when I get home tonight, followed by today's swim and run tomorrow (assuming the pool is open). Sigh...my poor coach. He just doesn't know I hate to be told what to do!
2019-01-25 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hahahaha!  I was on board but I think Mike likes the bike, despite his dislike of the, ahem, AFC representative in the upcoming Super Bowl.

I the bike.  I the Patriots.

2019-01-25 1:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

You're a sick, sick woman. 

It's my daughter's too.

Decidedly NOT my favorite.  I look like a fish flapping on the ground.

2019-01-25 4:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

As you get back into swimming, it might be a good time to work with a coach if it is feasible/affordable for you to fix any stroke issues that may be exacerbating your shoulder issues. I mean, if you have stroke issues.

Definitely a good idea. If I have stroke issues, I don't know about them. But where my body is right now is essentially unveiling all those places that my younger body could handle stress and my new body doesn't and evaluating whether stroke is one of those things is definitely important! A huge problem is that it's looking like a freaking full time job to maintain my body let alone get it into athletic condition. It needs to happen and is what I'm grappling with this year, finding a balance, a schedule, and moving forward. I am one of those weird people who wants to win the lottery just so I can work out three hours a day. Forget the fancy cars.

Sandi
2019-01-25 6:00 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Sandi, after everything you've been through already...I think you're on the right track.  Taking it slow sucks, but you want to be able to keep doing this.  

Just finished an hour of almost Z2 on the trainer.  Still can't keep the whole time in Z2 but 45 minutes is pretty good right?

2019-01-25 8:10 PM
in reply to: #5254528

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hot Friday night here...90’ on the trainer.
2019-01-26 10:32 AM

User image

Woot! 1st weight loss goal met! Under 190 on my weekly average. Down 4 lb since Christmas. 185 here I come!

Pretty good on sticking to my workouts for the week. My tri club was planning a 1 mile cross lake swim for tomorrow morning, but the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. I'm wondering if the pool's going to be open tomorrow (outdoor pool).
2019-01-26 10:42 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by riles32807 Woot! 1st weight loss goal met! Under 190 on my weekly average. Down 4 lb since Christmas. 185 here I come! Pretty good on sticking to my workouts for the week. My tri club was planning a 1 mile cross lake swim for tomorrow morning, but the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. I'm wondering if the pool's going to be open tomorrow (outdoor pool).

Woop! Congrats!

2019-01-26 10:44 AM
in reply to: #5254589

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up early this morning with a short run. First time this season I got to do something other than Z2. Ok, just four 30” strides, but doing something different is fun. I finished up with a bunch of hip and core flexibility and strength stuff. Later this afternoon I'll hit the pool.
2019-01-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: #5254600

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning run followed by an afternoon trainer ride, separates by roof repair in the snow. Ain’t homeownership grand?

Coach hasn’t put up next weeks schedule yet, but I’m sure hoping for a rest day tomorrow!!
2019-01-27 5:03 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by riles32807 Woot! 1st weight loss goal met! Under 190 on my weekly average. Down 4 lb since Christmas. 185 here I come! Pretty good on sticking to my workouts for the week. My tri club was planning a 1 mile cross lake swim for tomorrow morning, but the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. I'm wondering if the pool's going to be open tomorrow (outdoor pool).

YES!!  Great job!!!

2019-01-27 5:05 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Scheduled day off for me yesterday.  Today was supposed to be a run, ended up walking 13k steps at Disney.  Not a run but it certainly was a good distance and my long run is still short at this point in the offseason, and supposed to be low intensity anyway, so I'm calling it even.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8362 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa