Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2023-01-31 4:52 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

January is in the books - I almost jumped on the bike for a mile and swam a little longer to get to round numbers.  LOL

Swim: 6h 19m 02s - 14518.18 Yd
Bike: 10h 25m 49s - 199.13 Mi
Run: 5h 50m 38s - 31.37 Mi
Strength: 8h 26m
Hiking/Walking: 4h 26m

January for me:

Swim: x3, 1h 01m 28s - 2500 M
Bike: x11, 8h 00m 52s - 212.0 KM
Run: x25, 11h 20m 06s - 87.1 KM
Strength/Mobility: x5, 45m

Despite a very light last week getting over the cough that's not a bad start to the year.

2023-01-31 5:23 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
DQ, welcome back again. This time it's for keeps I'm sure.

I'm going to second Mikes suggestion. If you can afford it get yourself an indoor trainer. A zwift subscription would be the icing on the cake but even with a cheap dumb trainer and workouts from youtube, indoor cycling is such an efficient way to spend your time. More convenient, safer, no bad weather, no dodgy cars, no coasting up to stop signs. Its all wins. It's also a great motivator having a bike, set up on the trainer in your living room, just waiting for you.

Stop comparing yourself to the old DQ (8-10 minutes slower on your bike route) You need to compare yourself to yesterdays DQ, not 3-4 years ago. I understand the frustration with not being as fit as you were, I live it myself. But you need to look at where you are today, and make gains from that point. Trying to do what you used to be able to ends in injury, and comparing yourself to what you used to do ends in depressing yourself.

Mrs Bullfrog grumps me regularly if I respond to 'how was your run' with comparing what I did today with what I used to be able to do.

You can, and will get back there, I'm sure. But for now focus on improving from yesterday.
2023-01-31 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Stop comparing yourself to the old DQ (8-10 minutes slower on your bike route) You need to compare yourself to yesterdays DQ, not 3-4 years ago. I understand the frustration with not being as fit as you were, I live it myself. But you need to look at where you are today, and make gains from that point. Trying to do what you used to be able to ends in injury, and comparing yourself to what you used to do ends in depressing yourself. Mrs Bullfrog grumps me regularly if I respond to 'how was your run' with comparing what I did today with what I used to be able to do. You can, and will get back there, I'm sure. But for now focus on improving from yesterday.

This is good advice, and some I should heed from time to time as well.  My training paces on the run are a full minute per mile slower than nine years ago, and I still catch myself thinking about Grandpa Used to Be. 

2023-01-31 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by drfoodlove @Andrew!!--dang it, man! I actually have plans to ask again when I go this week for a weights session (pool is now closed for three weeks for annual maintenance...as are ALL of the other pools in Cairo--it is mind boggling they all close at the same time). I have to know...I really do.
Mrs Bullfrog is an Architect, and she has a cheap laser tape measure for her site measure ups. Not sure what the home improvment shops in Cairo are like, but get something like this. It'll answer your mystery. https://www.amazon.com/MAKINGTEC-Measurement-Distance-Pythagorean-Me...

I should get one of those to laser measure the swim courses I race.  But then I wouldn't be able to claim that they're a little long. 

2023-02-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm taking an unscheduled rest day today. Yesterday I started to feel a bit ill--probably just a cold, but I don't want it to progress to anything worse, so I slept in to 8:30am and worked from home today, complete with a two hour nap in the middle of the day! Getting cold medicine at the pharmacy was a trip! Miming runny nose (because I don't know the word for runny nose in Arabic!) was way easier than the time many years ago when one of my students had explosive diarrhea and I had to try to get him some medicine. Just use your imagination...it was...interesting.

January was a solid month
Swim: 10h 45m 35s - 26468.84 Yd
Bike: 15h 15m 26s (all trainer rides. I don't record fake miles)
Run: 11h 29m 22s - 52 Mi
Strength: 5h 55m

Edited by drfoodlove 2023-02-01 9:22 AM
2023-02-01 9:50 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I'm taking an unscheduled rest day today. Yesterday I started to feel a bit ill--probably just a cold, but I don't want it to progress to anything worse, so I slept in to 8:30am and worked from home today, complete with a two hour nap in the middle of the day! Getting cold medicine at the pharmacy was a trip! Miming runny nose (because I don't know the word for runny nose in Arabic!) was way easier than the time many years ago when one of my students had explosive diarrhea and I had to try to get him some medicine. Just use your imagination...it was...interesting. January was a solid month Swim: 10h 45m 35s - 26468.84 Yd Bike: 15h 15m 26s (all trainer rides. I don't record fake miles) Run: 11h 29m 22s - 52 Mi Strength: 5h 55m

That's a great swim month, Gretchen.  Nice work!

2023-02-02 2:59 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Feeling mostly better today--just a little phlemy, so I did both yesterday's bike (40' Z2 ride) and today's strength training session. Both felt good.

I'm a bit giddy to find out that I have to go down to Amarna next week for a documentary filming. While we are there, instead of staying at the dig house, which isn't open right now, we'll be staying at a hotel with a pool. I hope to get in at least one swim while we are there (one night), but hopefully. Make up a bit for lost time with the pool here!

How's mid-week for everyone?
2023-02-02 3:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Feeling mostly better today--just a little phlemy, so I did both yesterday's bike (40' Z2 ride) and today's strength training session. Both felt good.

I'm a bit giddy to find out that I have to go down to Amarna next week for a documentary filming. While we are there, instead of staying at the dig house, which isn't open right now, we'll be staying at a hotel with a pool. I hope to get in at least one swim while we are there (one night), but hopefully. Make up a bit for lost time with the pool here!

Gretchen, not your turn to get sick too? I'm glad that your good enough you got some workouts in. So are you going to be in the doco?

So far for me this week

M: rest
T: 40 minute treadmill run, with 4 x 3min Cruise intervals
W: 15 min easy run, stretching
T: 40 min easy run
F: 30 min Z2 ride.

Yet to come: short run and stretch tonight, long run tomorrow, an hour zwift and probably short run Sunday.

My local pool, which I said was closed for a few days after the flooding has announced they're expecting to be shut until the 5th March. This is not helping my swim more this year plan... But I sure am glad I'm not in the final prep stage for a 3rd March 703.3 anymore.

How's everybody else doing?
2023-02-03 5:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Gretchen, not your turn to get sick too? I'm glad that your good enough you got some workouts in. So are you going to be in the doco?

It does appear that it is my turn to be ill, but seems like a pretty minor cold. Only really about 36 hours of feeling bad, then mostly just a cough that wants me to pull up a lung.

I should be in the documentary, although I sincerely wish I wasn't going to be--I hate being filmed. I think it will be the fourth or fifth one I've been in.
2023-02-03 5:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' Z2 run today, which felt pretty good, considering I've been sick this week. Just put it in cruise mode and made sure not to push it too hard.
2023-02-03 7:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, all (or evening, Andrew, and afternoon, Nathalie and Gretchen).  Happy Friday!

Still shedding off the last lingering bleh of my cold, but it's not impacting my training or anything now.  Yesterday was a tempo run after a short warm up bike ride and then what was supposed to be a Z2 swim, but I had to push it to today after getting there and the lifeguard closing the pool for chemical issues.  The "closed pool" thing seems to be a trend here in BDAS of late.  Pushed it to the this morning and added a strength session afterwards, and I'll do a tempo bike ride at lunch followed by helping the wife clean out her MIL's apartment now that she's in assisted living (about six months to a year too late, so her place was a disaster). 

Headed to New York this weekend to meet some old friends, which will result in my undoing all of my training from this week. 

Next week is a recovery week with fitness tests in all three sports (swim TT, short bike race, and then a 5K race next Saturday).

2023-02-05 4:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Happy Sunday everyone!
Hope everybody has recovered from sniffles and other phlegm attacks now.
DQ, good to see you, keep fighting man, you’ll get there!
Looking forward to reading about your tests Mike

Another good week for me (other than failing to get to the pool but I knew that) and still keeping under my calorie goal every day. Feels great. Yesterday I celebrated the end of dry January with a nice Swedish lager at the hockey (Mariestad Export) before the game (which we won, yeah!)
I don’t intend to start drinking most days again, not even every weekend. Let’s hope I can. Not easy when you have a husband who opens a bottle of wine every Friday (sometimes on Thursday).

January numbers!
Swim 1 - one hour, 1800 meters
Bike: 16 hours 35 minutes. 0 real km (or miles)
Run: 11 hours 35 minutes. 94km
Strength: not sure about 4 or 5 times, 30 to 45 min each time.

Weight loss : -3kg. These were more recent kgs, so relatively easy. Hope I can keep the momentum and lose the last 2 or 3 before the start of the season.

Happy with B and R numbers, need to do better with swim and strength.

Have a great Sunday all (Sunday evening Andrew)

2023-02-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

, Massachusetts
Brutal week coming to a close! Tuesday is my normal “off” day but was forced into another one Thursday (work) and Saturday (weather/house). With the bitter cold we had in New England, my gym shut the pool down Friday and Saturday, but apparently something went awry mechanically and was shut down today and will be tomorrow. I did manage to get some meaningful Zwift mileage in on Friday and today, so not all was lost.

I guess my Monday swim will become a Monday run. Hope it’s nothing major because the pool has turned into a good place for me.
2023-02-06 12:17 AM
in reply to: thin_concrete

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Jay-I have such trouble when something goes awry like that. My schedule is so carefully planned that changes like that really throw me off my game. Great job retooling it your schedule to get it done!

@DQ--you out there buddy?

@Nicole--did you just decide to stay in Jamaica? I mean, I wouldn't blame you if you did, but let us know you haven't been abducted!

@Nathalie--isn't it about time for you to start your OWS season? I mean...it IS February and everything. Warming up nicely for you!

@Mike--I don't really have anything to say, but I didn't want you to feel left out! Who you rooting for in the big game next week?

For me...well, extra rest day on Saturday after staying up WAAAYYYY past my bedtime to Zoom with my nephew's 6th grade social studies classes on Friday night. They are studying ancient Egypt, so I talked to them about my work and what it is like to live in Egypt. It was a lot of fun, but with the time difference and all the caffeine I drank to stay up that late, I was awake until after 1am. That didn't do much for me in nursing this cold, so I took Saturday off, in addition to my normal Sunday rest day.

Today starts my official MiTi training plan! Did a ramp test (FTP up 10w since end of December!) and strength training. This new plan is intense! It is 4x each discipline every week, plus 2x strength. It does not have a rest day scheduled until April. I might die. I wanted to step it up a notch to improve my time (and, let's face it, try to defend my national championship!), but this seems like a big step. Hopefully I'll settle into it. My wife was a little surprised when I mentioned it was more intense than my last plan. She didn't think they could get more intense...my sweet summer child. :D !! She is currently very happy I'm doing my own laundry right now.
2023-02-06 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Jay/Gretchen:  Training Peaks is really great for those adjustments in schedule; like you Gretchen I'm really captive to a schedule and I try hard not to do back-to-back days of running with my injury history; Jay- nice work adjusting and getting the Zwift rides in especially during this wacko weather

@Gretchen:  your plan ramps up?  Good grief that'll be interesting, but you thrive on the consistency

@Nathalie:  great job on your dry January with the consistency (and the resulting weight loss); I had a successful "damp" or "dry-ish" January which as noted above I just blew to hell in a handbasket this weekend in NYC

@Andrew:  how's summer?    I've been watching the Australian Open and the Tour Down Under and wish I were in the southern hemisphere right about now; mid-February is about when we start to go crazy here in the mid-Atlantic...it's actually been a pretty warm winter but it's just blah all the time

@Nicole:  what Gretchen said - Jamaican Us Crazy

@DQ:  be sure to check in with us, good or bad

Spent roughly 30 hours in NYC and spent an insane amount of money and calories on really good food and drink and another chunk of money on Uber as it was in the teens (*F) on Saturday.  No training but the hotel did have a nice gym if we come back.

Three fitness tests this week:  1K pull swim TT and then a 100 free sprint today (hoping sub-17 and 1:25ish); short bike race on Wednesday which will be about a 20 minute test (hoping to hold around 275/280), then a 5K run race on Saturday (pancake flat - so a good fitness test and hoping to break 25:00); recovery week so not too much else planned.

2023-02-06 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Three fitness tests this week:  1K pull swim TT and then a 100 free sprint today (hoping sub-17 and 1:25ish); short bike race on Wednesday which will be about a 20 minute test (hoping to hold around 275/280), then a 5K run race on Saturday (pancake flat - so a good fitness test and hoping to break 25:00); recovery week so not too much else planned.

One down.  Both intervals were a success...16:43 in the 1K pull TT (30 second PR) then 1:24.6 in the 100, also a PR by about two seconds.  That 100 hurt.

2023-02-06 2:45 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

One down.  Both intervals were a success...16:43 in the 1K pull TT (30 second PR) then 1:24.6 in the 100, also a PR by about two seconds.  That 100 hurt.

Nice work!
2023-02-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, NZ summer hasn't been the best to be honest. It's been very wet, and very humid. Not sumer hot, maybe 70-80F, but 95% or above humidity. February and March are usually the nicest months for weather so looking forward to that.

And I'm not sure 3 fitness tests qualifies as a 'rest' week... Might be lower volume but that sounds damn hard to me.

@Gretchen, Hope the sick has fully passed for week 1 of your training program. Sh1ts getting serious now. 4XSBR, 2Xstrength sounds like 2 a day every day to me. That's a big plan, but we know the machine can handle it. You don't get to be a national champion without putting in some hours aye. What sort of volume are you going to be doing with all these workouts?

And congratulations on the 10W FTP increase. But also my sympathies for how much more those intervals on the trainer are going to hurt.

@Nathalie, nice month. Congratulation's on the consistency and weightless

@Jay, Seems everyone is having pool issues at the moment. Hope the extra running was enjoyable

@DQ... Where are you mate? Hope you're getting the work in

ME,

After canceling March's 70.3, I've been suffering a bit of a dip in motivation. Even though I know it was the right call, having that looming goal disappear sucks, and makes 5:30 workouts harder to get up for. I had 5 runs, 1 bike and 2 stretching sessions last week. No swims as the pool is closed. I'm happy with the running, It was actually the biggest week (excluding weeks with a half marathon) running in a year. Grumpy with myself I only got on the bike once though. I also had 2 days off in a row, which is unusual for me, I'm feeling rested and refreshed, so hopefully that'll help with getting back into a good routine.

Goals for the week, similar running to last week, 2-3 rides. and 3+ strength and mobility sessions.

Have a good week all.
2023-02-06 3:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Great job on 2 PRS. Love it.
2023-02-06 7:47 PM

, Massachusetts

Woohoo! Nice job!
2023-02-06 11:07 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Awesome! Great job! Also...I'm envious of your swim speed!

2023-02-06 11:15 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Interval run this morning that went a bit long because math is hard at 4:45am...lol. Was supposed to be 51' total, but I ended up rounding back at the apartment at 58' because if you do an out and back, you should probably divide by two properly. I did not today and ended up doing 31' out. But...up side is that it was a negative split!

This afternoon is a 60' Z2 ride. I'm hoping to do it outside, although it is chilly (mid 40s) and windy (25mph winds) and even on the trainer, 25mph winds with a disc wheel is a bit wobbly!

Tomorrow I have to travel back to Amarna to film a documentary. I'm not looking forward to it. The only reason I agree to do these things is the production companies "donate" money to our research fund, which helps keep things going. The silver lining is that the hotel we are staying at has a pool and if all the timing works out exactly right, I can hopefully squeeze in a swim in the hotel pool right after we check in. Fingers crossed. I'm itching to get back into the pool!
2023-02-08 2:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Yesterday's ride did not go as planned. I think I bonked, which is pretty sad with a 1 hour ride. At about 30' I just got all shaky and felt weird. I got some gatorade and felt a bit better pretty quickly, but canned the rest of the ride. Low blood sugar? I don't know when I late ate at the point, but I'm guessing it would have been 5-6 hours before.

Same ride this morning (originally scheduled this way) was totally fine, although the new FTP does make it a bit harder than last week (duh), which was noticeable. I followed the ride up with 45' of strength stuff.
2023-02-08 9:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
HI EVERYONE!
Sorry for Jamaican you crazy (Mike that made me giggle)!

I did not get abducted and made it back to Baltimore on the 25th. I spent the next week digging out from the pile of emails drowning me, and then the last week getting my house and life together. I'm back! Email is down (not 100%, but much better), my house is clean, laundry is done, and I got in a 30 minute PZ ride this morning, followed by 10 min of core.

I've been a bit inconsistent since Jamaica but the weather is getting better (hopefully stays that way) and I'm feeling hyper focused. I was feeling fluffy so have meal prepped for the week also.

Jamaica was amazing. I did end up drinking a little more than planned on some nights (only 2!). I basically would have a relaxing, chill night, and then a crazy, dancing, drunken night, then back to chill. I still was very active. Did yoga (brought my tablet and speaker and played a Peloton yoga class for myself and about 10 other people), Stand up paddle boarding, went for a swim one day and snorkeled. The place was pretty big too so we did a ton of walking.

Similar to DQ (who I'm so glad you're back and did a profile! Please keep checking in with us, and great work on the rides!), I'm looking to lose a couple lbs a week. Currently up near 170. Ultimate goal is to get below 160 by May, but focusing week by week on the little goals.

Oh, and I'm going to masters practice on Saturday! Excited to get back in the pool.
2023-02-08 9:47 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I feel like I've missed so much! Gonna try to catch up on everything tonight. DId a quick skim and saw:

DQs back!

A few people were sick

Mike loves fitness tests

Fit Nat CRUSHED January

Andrew got a bunch of us sick, but is still being productive

Gretchen is her usual boss self, and is going to be a documentary star

Jay is getting acclimated to the group, and maybe doesn't hate running as much as he did a couple weeks ago?

I think I got everyone!
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 122

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland