BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2007-12-27 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1089582

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed and Big Pimpin thru the Holidays

Few more suggestons as I sit at my desk bored that I thought of....

If you haven't noticed, I am a huge advocate of reading in this sport.  But I understand if that may not be the most useful learning tool for you.  If it isn't let me know so that I can make some adjustments to suit your needs.   If you enjoy reading and want to take it to a higher level, I recommend Joe Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible.   There are also tons of book for beginners.  Personally I have read Triathlon 101

I am also a HUGE advocate of BT.  Personally, I think this is one of the best sites out there and it is growing at an unprecedented rate.  That means...MORE resources.  (However, there are plenty of other good sites out there including running and swimming forums so feel free to look around.)

I know most of you have found your way around the site but if you haven't ever spent time exploring around, I strongly encourage you to do so.  There are 100s of articles in the database.  The forums have a search function.  Also there are a number of opportunities through articles to ask your questions of coaches (Sarah had one of her's answered a while back).  Finally don't forget that if you have an upcoming race, it is likely that SOMEONE on this site had raced it before.  Look here for additional race reports

---------

I have been meaning to post this for a while.  Here is a link to a few video tutorials.  The details can only be seen by silver and gold members.  Hopefully, you will find them a bit helpful

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1349

Edited by ADollar79 2007-12-27 1:48 PM

2007-12-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1113638

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

So it's been an exciting day!! I brought my new bike home   I'm not too adept at perfect bike photos - but here are a few.  This is with loaner pedals, mine are ordered in black and I've got a second bottle cage on the way. 

2007-12-27 4:48 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Sweeeeeeeet!  Hope to see you out on the SCT on it!!!
2007-12-27 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Guess that's right, is that how you recognize people, their bike? Hehe, awhile back they all looked the same to me.  Not any more!

If the weather is decent, I may take her out tomorrow on SCT!  Gotta figure these gears out, I'm not quite sure what's what yet.  She's on the trainer right now.  

2007-12-27 8:51 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
to answer the question about sight when swiming in water.... I have only had 3 races but what i have done is to swim as close to the rope that is tied to the buies as possiable... if i hit it with my arm or leg i know im too close... and if i can see it out of the side of my face when i breathe i know im right on line.... this may verry depending on the wind and slack in the rope... it has turned out to be a good way for me... what do you think?

PS i like your shiny new bike too
2007-12-28 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1119615

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Thanks Drew!! Oof. An hour on the trainer today. My cha cha is feeling it. Yowser! Does the saddle just get more comfortable? I have a Fitek Vitesse. I had a Terry saddle that I'd bought for my old bike, but left it on my hybrid when I sold it.  Maybe I should have hung on to it. 

2007-12-28 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1120725

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2007-12-28 3:02 PM

Thanks Drew!! Oof. An hour on the trainer today. My cha cha is feeling it. Yowser! Does the saddle just get more comfortable? I have a Fitek Vitesse. I had a Terry saddle that I'd bought for my old bike, but left it on my hybrid when I sold it.  Maybe I should have hung on to it. 

Did you say cha cha?   lol

For the most part saddles to get more comfortable as you put in more time on the bike.  Give it about a month of steady riding or about 200-300 miles.  It is very likely that you are using different sit bones/muscles given that it is a new bike and you are fitted properly.  If after a while you don't feel anymore comfortable, try a new saddle.  Also, my saddle drives me crazy on the trainer too!

Wait until you graduate to a tri bike.  Talk about some aches and pains down below and and in your neck and shoulders!!!

2007-12-28 8:06 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Hey all! Hope you all had a nice Xmas. I don't have internet at home so I'm on a friends logging my workouts. I swam 3000 M yesterday without stopping. A new PR for me.

Only sports related thing I got for Xmas was a 1/2 massage certificate. Disappointed somewhat but can't complain, there were many other things that had to come 1st.

Next race is Jan 1st. 5K trip and dip into lake washington. Brrrr.

Happy New Year. See you all on the 2nd. 

2007-12-30 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
starting 2008 off right

Mon - Chest - Run 25 min
Tues - Legs
Wed - Back - Bike 70 min - LEAVE FOR CRUISE TO NEW ORLEANS
Thur - Shoulders - CRUISE - COSUMEL, MX
Fri - Arms - SWIM IN OCEAN 23min - CRUISE
Sat - OFF - CRUISE
Sun - OFF - DRIVE BACK TO KC
2007-12-31 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Early Happy New Year to each and everyone of you.  With the new year comes the notion that races will occur quicker than you are probably ready.  There is something about turning over the calendar that makes race season seem a bit real.  Spend a little extra money on yourself (if you have it) and spend some time with your significant others.  Search inside yourself to figure out what is going to motivate you for the coming year.  Given that the holiday falls in the middle of the week, take some time to re-evaluate your goals for the year.  Maybe they have changed, maybe they haven't. 

I know that I have changed a number of my goals for the upcoming season.  It looks like I won't race an early season marathon and instead, I will opt for 2 half marathons to open the season.  I also removed 2 sprint races from the calendar as I know that my training will call for long rides and runs and that is what I need more of for Ironman Florida. 

The holiday season has also provide a great training ground for me to study my diet.  Do I over eat?  What are my weaknesses?  How do I eat when their is a buffet of food?  Am I a casserole or a dessert person?  Am I in denial about how much I really snack?  How much weight did I gain? 

I am really excited about this upcoming year.  Not only for myself, but for each of you as you struggle and succeed in meeting your goals.  Hopefully you are equally as energized!!!!

---------------------

Workouts for the week
Mon:  AM yoga/ pm 70 min hills
Tues:  Rest, recovery.  Advil, pizza, nap and repeat (maybe weights, bike or swim)
Wed:  AM weights/ PM 8x1 mile repeats (???)
Thurs:  AM yoga / 30 m recovery run/ bike trainer
Fri:     AM yoga/ PM swim
Sat:   2h 40m slow run (ugghhhhhhh)
Sun:  Rest

Goal for the week:
1.  Get back on track
2.  Hit my long run
3.  Not completely trash my body on Monday night that it becomes detrimental to training

2007-12-31 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Here is one of my favorite quotes and appropriate for the new year....

The road never moves. The distance is constant. The pain is always there. The only thing that can change is you.

2007-12-31 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1124054

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ADollar79 - 2007-12-31 8:51 AM

The road never moves. The distance is constant. The pain is always there. The only thing that can change is you.

I really really like this. It's so fitting, in fact, I was thinking about this in another form while on my first ride today.  Took the new bike out for a spin on SCT and just laughed out loud at how much better it felt than my hybrid.  Wow!! I got it up to 21 mph, which is huge for me! Only for a little bit, but I did feel pretty proud at how I maintained my speed.  I don't think I stopped grinning for the first 10 miles.  

The new adjustment is going to be my back and arms, man, I had to stop a few times and shake it out.  It's going to take a bit of time to get used to this.  Strangely, the saddle felt fine this time around.  

Have a wonderful New Year's everyone!  And Dollar, party a little for me since I think it'll be a low key night.   

2007-12-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1124925

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2007-12-31 3:49 PM
ADollar79 - 2007-12-31 8:51 AM

I really really like this. It's so fitting, in fact, I was thinking about this in another form while on my first ride today. Took the new bike out for a spin on SCT and just laughed out loud at how much better it felt than my hybrid. Wow!! I got it up to 21 mph, which is huge for me! Only for a little bit, but I did feel pretty proud at how I maintained my speed. I don't think I stopped grinning for the first 10 miles.

The new adjustment is going to be my back and arms, man, I had to stop a few times and shake it out. It's going to take a bit of time to get used to this. Strangely, the saddle felt fine this time around.

Have a wonderful New Year's everyone! And Dollar, party a little for me since I think it'll be a low key night.

Good for you on getting out to the SCT today!!!  I bet you grinned like a little kid for the ride.  One day you will look back on this post and laugh a bit.  I remember my first trip to the SCT.  I rode to the 10 mile mark and I felt great.  I nearly got off my bike and jumped up and down.  When I got back to my car I couldn't believe that I had just ridden 20 whole miles.  WHOA!!!!   I grin everytime I pass that point on the trail.  It is a little reminder that keeps me humble. 

....and I will party a bit for everyone tonight.... 

2007-12-31 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

Ohhhh, I can't wait to have that "new bike first ride" feeling.  Someday soon...probably after the vaca.

This week I just hope to get a workout in:

• Monday: Did my swim
  • Tuesday:  Skiing, run is debatable since all the gyms are closing early and the roads are an icy death trap (as my bruised hip will tell you today)
  • Wednesday: Late Christmas with the fam, but hopefully will get a short run in
  • Thursday: Packing, there might be time for a run, but not sure - flight leaves for Honduras at midnight
  • Friday: Pretty much in flight until 2-ish, then a 3-hour drive to La Ceiba
  • Satuday: Home building, between that and jet lag, I will most likely not be doing anything
  • Sunday: Our only R&R day of the trip, so will probably do a long run

I hope everyone has a fun and safe New Years.

2008-01-01 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
OK - I am officially back after vacation. I was able to get my workouts in for the most part and it was OK. Here is my workout schedule for the week.
Monday - Off Day - travelling.
Tuesday - 30 minute bike - 10' spin- 10' big gear - 10' spin
Wednesday - 800 Yd swim
35 min run
Thursday - 30 minute bike - easy spin
weights
Friday - 900 Yrad swim
200 Warm Up
2 x 50 Fist Drill
50 Free
50 Catch Up
50 Free
50 Single Arm
50 Free
100 Cool Down
Saturday - Off Day
Sunday - 20 min bike
10 min run - My first Brick!!!!!!

Dollar - do me a favor and stay off of the ibuprofen type medicines after drinking - way too dangerous to your kidneys.
2008-01-02 9:21 AM
in reply to: #1125892

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

jdwright56 - 2008-01-01 11:36 AM   Friday - 900 Yrad swim 200 Warm Up 2 x 50 Fist Drill 50 Free 50 Catch Up 50 Free 50 Single Arm 50 Free 100 Cool Down Saturday - Off Day Sunday - 20 min bike 10 min run - My first Brick!!!!!!

Hope everyone survived NYE yet had a good time. 

I want to call attention to John's swim workout.  This is a good example of how to incorporate drills into your swim session.  For beginners (and more experienced swimmers) drills are how you are going to get better in the water.  They teach you to not fight the water.  I agree that they are boring as all get out but effective and efficient form means you come out of the water feeling fresh. 

I think I mentioned it a few posts back, but BT is putting videos of drills on the website.  I believe they are located under the programs icon. 

2008-01-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1127618

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

I'm so glad it's not Monday   Hooray for a short week! 

My plan for the week -

Monday - 20 Mile Ride (Done)
Tuesday - 8 Mile Run (Done)
Wednesday - 1 Hour of Cardio - short run & bike
Thursday - swim in the AM, LT Test at the Track in the evening
Friday - swim 
Saturday - 14.5 Mile Run
Sunday - Possible 20-30 mile ride  

I don't have my swim workout laid out yet, so I've got to do that before tomorrow.   I'm a little stuck where it comes to my planned calendar.  The one that I imported starting in Feb has workouts on the wrong days and then I need to adjust around the marathon.  I'm started to get something in place for January, but it's not complete either. 

2008-01-02 2:57 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
my training schedule is going to be mostly running now. Training for a 1/2 marathon this March.  Not too fussed about my swimming as that's the easy part for me. Biking I'm just going to enjo as much as I can squeeze in. I don't have a trainer and I hate the bikes at the gym.  I have a month in Scotland too so I'm going to be lazy there probably. I certainly don't have many races planned this year, not as many as last. At least 2 olympics and 1 half marathon. I'm still trying to sort out my training schedule to tie in with life and work. It's not easy.
2008-01-02 7:01 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I forgot to add. On Monday I went to see a chiropractor and got a massage. This is the 1st time I've been to see one. Stupid of me not to go.  He gave me great tips and got some old scar tissue evened out and gave me a wrap to put around my hips when I'm running to open up my joints a little more. I haven't used it yet but I felt instantly different after he put it on me.  I am SO hoping this will help with my running!! YAY! I've always felt I've had lead legs and I've never really sped up since starting in April.

2008-01-02 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1129449

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ScotinSeattle - 2008-01-02 7:01 PM

I forgot to add. On Monday I went to see a chiropractor and got a massage. This is the 1st time I've been to see one. Stupid of me not to go. He gave me great tips and got some old scar tissue evened out and gave me a wrap to put around my hips when I'm running to open up my joints a little more. I haven't used it yet but I felt instantly different after he put it on me. I am SO hoping this will help with my running!! YAY! I've always felt I've had lead legs and I've never really sped up since starting in April.

Oh good! This has to be a relief!!

2008-01-03 1:23 AM
in reply to: #1129449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

Lynne, what were some of tips to relieve the scar tissue?  I've still got some work to do on my knee.  The neosporin strips worked for a bit, but can't find them anywhere now.

And...welcome back!  Missed ya over the holidays!

2008-01-03 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Thanks for bringing up recovery Lynne.  Recovery is a CRUCIAL part of this sport.  And recovery can range from simple stretching to weeks off to alternative forms of medicine (chiro and massage therapy).  Over the past few years, this area has exploded as different techniques and approaches have come online. 

I fell in love with my massage therapist last year (figuratively, lol).  I had experienced a few in-house massages via  a spa, physical therapy or chiropractic care.  This time, I found someone who deals with athletes (she is an ultra-ironman).  I went in about a month before Coeur d'Alene last year for an hour of deep tissue massage.  I walked out a new athlete.  I couldn't believe how much tension she worked out of me.  I was instantly hooked. 

Again, if you can afford it, I would recommend some type of deep tissue massage 2-4 times a year.  I now go at least quarterly...and need one right now   If you need help finding someone in your area, I am more than happy to help look around for you.  

------------------

So on that topic....has anyone ever received a sports related massage? 

What type of recovery techniques do you regularly employ in your training?  Recovery drink?  Binge eating? Crashing on the couch? Stretching?  Ice bath?  Trigger Point?  ART?  

2008-01-03 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1130292

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Ooh, I'll take that recommendation if you've got it!
2008-01-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: #1130376

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

atlrunnergirl - 2008-01-03 9:50 AM Ooh, I'll take that recommendation if you've got it!

My massage therapist is Eileen Steil.  She is in Buckhead at the intersection of Pharr Road and Piedmont.  I suggest giving her a call (leave a message if she doesn't answer) and talking to her about what you are doing and see what she suggests in terms of treatment.  Feel free to drop my name as I promised to send her some business.  http://www.eileensteil.iwantamassage.com/makeappointment.html

I am also gathering another contact for the area.  Nancy Arnett (Dan or Marvarnett's wife) is a massage therapist.  They are friends of mine.  Nancy has never treated me but she frequently treats Dan and I trust his recommendation even if it is his wife lol

Here it is--   Nancy Ann's Hands 757-715-2166.  She is currently working on getting a website up and running.  The phone number is likely her personal cell. 

Edited by ADollar79 2008-01-03 9:09 AM
2008-01-03 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1130084

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
pipscweek - 2008-01-02 11:23 PM

Lynne, what were some of tips to relieve the scar tissue? I've still got some work to do on my knee. The neosporin strips worked for a bit, but can't find them anywhere now.

And...welcome back! Missed ya over the holidays!

Proper stretching! He also told me that I need to increase my stomach muscles and gave me easy sit ups to do twice a day. Right elbow, left knee. That sort of thing. I am to walk 5-10 minutes then stretch from standing grabbing my knee and stretching it to the opposite side. He said it will ease my hip joins stretching the tissue and ease my recovery time.

He wants me to go back for one more session of the gun pummel thing he used. I can't tell you better I felt instantly.  I also want the band he tried on me too. Anything to help me with my running is good money spent in my books. I'm going to try for a deep tissue massage from the sports guy next month, who did IMCA! So I'm sure he'll have GREAT tips to give me.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  

of 31