BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2011-03-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3393271

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
ingleshteechur - 2011-03-11 7:30 AM

Here our school goes again...we have a student living in Japan as an exchange student, haven't heard anything yet. 

ETA:  heard from our student...he is fine, well away from the epicenter and far inland.  He is preparing for aftershocks, however.

Glad you were able to hear from him so quickly.  My oldest son is stationed in Japan so had an anxious hour or two until he returned my email saying they are out on the ocean somewhere and nowhere near Japan right now.  It's amazing how much we rely on technology and what a small world it has become.  An earthquake in Japan affects us even here in Illinois and Nevada.

2011-03-11 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Well...saw the doc this morning. Not the news I was hoping for. I have a labral tear.  He is recommending surgery.  I can get PT and give it some time, but...  I need to ask about the possibility of this healing it on it's own.  I admit, I didn't ask the right questions.  Once I heard "surgery" "out for the season"  I ceased to process information.

To say I'm depressed and upset would be the understatement of the year.  I'm getting PT for the next 4 wks.  Still no impact, but can swim, cycle, water run, as long as it doesn't give me pain.  I have some decisions to make.

2011-03-11 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3393930

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
suzimmer - 2011-03-11 12:29 PM

Well...saw the doc this morning. Not the news I was hoping for. I have a labral tear.  He is recommending surgery.  I can get PT and give it some time, but...  I need to ask about the possibility of this healing it on it's own.  I admit, I didn't ask the right questions.  Once I heard "surgery" "out for the season"  I ceased to process information.

To say I'm depressed and upset would be the understatement of the year.  I'm getting PT for the next 4 wks.  Still no impact, but can swim, cycle, water run, as long as it doesn't give me pain.  I have some decisions to make.

That's an understandable reaction (to stop processing information).  It's also understandable to be depressed and upset that 2011 isn't going to be the year of your dreams. 

On the plus side, it is a chance to try something new. 

2011-03-11 1:36 PM

User image

Elite

Awww man, so so sorry.  I would feel exactly the same emotions.

2011-03-11 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3393986

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
McFuzz - 2011-03-11 1:51 PM

That's an understandable reaction (to stop processing information).  It's also understandable to be depressed and upset that 2011 isn't going to be the year of your dreams. 

On the plus side, it is a chance to try something new. 

x2 my friend. I would mourn the season for a bit, then move on to healing and trying something new.
2011-03-11 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Went to a real live Podiatrist who deals with athletes. Great guy. Took LOTS of xrays. I have a few issues and lot of inflammation BUT... I CAN RUN!! Very specific about how many miles, how often, how I warm up, lots of STUFF to do every day all day. I have some healed stress fractures and an extra sesamoid bone under the right big toe where the inflammation is.

It's just good to know. As long as I follow the directions TO A TEE and take it easy, I can run. I have a shoe insert and some ibuprofen and an ice/stretch routine that looks MILITARY, but I can run. I cried all the way back to the office. I am never ever ever to run on concrete again.

I met 3 runners in the waiting area. What a fun place to wait! Serious runners, one guy was pretty intense... I think he needs talk therapy and some ritalin personally.... he planned on asking the doctor if surgery would heal him quicker because he wasn't going to stop running. I love it, but I'm not THAT crazy.

Anyway, I can do the brick with the team tomorrow, but I have to get up a half an hour earlier than usual to be ready.

I'm so happy nothing is seriously wrong. And I'm glad I went before I hurt myself doing stupid amateurish things to "fix" myself.

2011-03-11 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3394073

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

stephsprint - 2011-03-11 1:51 PM Went to a real live Podiatrist who deals with athletes. Great guy. Took LOTS of xrays. I have a few issues and lot of inflammation BUT... I CAN RUN!! Very specific about how many miles, how often, how I warm up, lots of STUFF to do every day all day. I have some healed stress fractures and an extra sesamoid bone under the right big toe where the inflammation is. It's just good to know. As long as I follow the directions TO A TEE and take it easy, I can run. I have a shoe insert and some ibuprofen and an ice/stretch routine that looks MILITARY, but I can run. I cried all the way back to the office. I am never ever ever to run on concrete again. I met 3 runners in the waiting area. What a fun place to wait! Serious runners, one guy was pretty intense... I think he needs talk therapy and some ritalin personally.... he planned on asking the doctor if surgery would heal him quicker because he wasn't going to stop running. I love it, but I'm not THAT crazy. Anyway, I can do the brick with the team tomorrow, but I have to get up a half an hour earlier than usual to be ready. I'm so happy nothing is seriously wrong. And I'm glad I went before I hurt myself doing stupid amateurish things to "fix" myself.

Injuries suck.  But one thing I learned is to follow the directions of the people who are paid to give them out. IT band led to a devotion to yoga and foam follers.  Headed to a massage therapist in 20 mins.  Been using him since last year when cramping started.  He got me through the half IM, then things unraveled because he was all I was doing.  I know better now. 

As for surgery or no surgery,  cancer taught me to get second opinions without a second thought as to what a doctor might think.  My body.  My decision. Even then, I made the right decision knowing the risks and I face the consequences of the surgery every day and will as long as I live.  So it goes.  Good luck with your decision.

2011-03-11 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

So sorry for you.  You deserve to be angry and depressed - for a bit, then get excited about new opportunities.  I know, easy for those of us not going through it to say.  Heal soon.

2011-03-11 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3394408

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
amd723 - 2011-03-11 6:07 PM

So sorry for you.  You deserve to be angry and depressed - for a bit, then get excited about new opportunities.  I know, easy for those of us not going through it to say.  Heal soon.

x2 what Ann-Marie said. So so sorry. I know pretty much how you feel having fractured my ankle in '09. It's just seriously sucky news. HOWEVER... you can SWIM! Swimming is great and you are going to become so good at if if you are putting your attention there... and cycling.

We have some great swims in NYC that take you into the Hudson river, around the statue of liberty, crazy stufff like that, maybe there are some fun swims in your neck of the woods, that might give your swim workouts some focus...

As for the depression, wallow in it for a while and then kick that sh*it to the curb and get on with exploring what this injury will bring you that is positive.

2011-03-11 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Seriously worried about a member from my last BT mentor group (dcon - dan conway).  He lives in Sendai, Japan which is where the tsunami took out the town.  Hasn't logged anything for the day - I am praying that it is due to the internet being down there.
2011-03-11 11:51 PM
in reply to: #3393249

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

stephsprint - 2011-03-11 7:12 AM
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-10 9:38 PM Personal best for 2011 - broke into the 180's today. (189.6 lbs - but it is in the 180's and falling)  180 lbs by raceday (-*- this is me crossing my fingers)  funny I was in the mid 170's last summer after all the IM training, but allas the IM training comes with IM eating, once the training stops and eating continues, of course it doesn't take long to get fat all over again.
YAY!! still in the 160s here... barely. What's your ultimate goal range?

My ultimate goal is to not care what the scale says, but how the man in the mirror looks   as for now, I will settle for the 178-182 range (seems to have the same effect on my credit cards - can't help but spend money on new cloths when I look and feel fit... kinda rediculous I know, that should be what my wife does not me.... lol

2011-03-11 11:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

http://www.sfbay10k.com/SFBAY10K/Welcome.html

Here is something I am aiming for next year I think.  Just a thought for you.  There is also a swim around the entire Manhatan Island I would love to do someday (28.2 miles)  If you like to swim, marathon swimming could really save the entire summer for you, and keep you in great shape for next summer's tri-season.

2011-03-12 12:19 AM
in reply to: #3393251

Veteran

stephsprint - 2011-03-11 8:13 AM
Ree - 2011-03-10 8:17 PM Tonight .... I LEARNED HOW TO FLIP!!!  I can now flip at the end of the pool when I turn around. Smile - Maria
WOO HOO! now if you could just balance a ball on your nose.... seriously though, that must make you feel like a fab swimmer.... you have really rocked the learning curve, WTG!!

What makes you think I can't balance a ball on my nose? Tongue out 

2011-03-12 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3394698

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ree - 2011-03-12 1:19 AM

Ree - 2011-03-10 8:17 PM Tonight .... I LEARNED HOW TO FLIP!!!  I can now flip at the end of the pool when I turn around. Smile - Maria
WOO HOO! now if you could just balance a ball on your nose.... seriously though, that must make you feel like a fab swimmer.... you have really rocked the learning curve, WTG!!

HA HA HA HA! You always give me a giggle! Happy Saturday everyone. Gosh....which sport will I do FIRST today? hmmmm
2011-03-12 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
Here is my challenge for the week.  Looking for a website with a variety of healthy recipes and menu ideas.  Ideally would also make a grocery list based off of the recipes/menus I pick.  I have two cook books with lower calorie recipes that I make menus off of now but am totally bored with them and they don't help with the "what should I make to go with them" or what about the "rest of the day" Life is about to get more insane as football practice for tryouts starts and training for the Steam Boat Classic.  Anyone have any good websites or cookbooks that they use?
2011-03-12 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3394691

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Josh, Are you kidding? Buying new cloths when you're feel'n fit is one of the great pleasures in life!

Speaking of shopping... I'm going to buy new sneakers today, my old ones are well, old.  I've been running in minimal shoes and I think I should have something with more support for these long distances -I think part of the discomfort I've had on my last couple of long runs could be due to the minimal shoes

Robin, I hope your friend is ok...

2011-03-12 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
One of the "serious" runners tool his racing flat/minimal shoes into the podiatrist yesterday. The doc said, race in them, but don't train in them. AND toss them every 200 miles at least.
2011-03-12 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3394724

User image

Longview, Texas
stephsprint - 2011-03-12 7:11 AM
Ree - 2011-03-12 1:19 AM

HA HA HA HA! You always give me a giggle! Happy Saturday everyone. Gosh....which sport will I do FIRST today? hmmmm

That's Funny :-p

2011-03-12 11:38 AM

User image

Longview, Texas

So I went for a short ride this morning and since I fixed the cadence sensor I keept around 85 - 90rpm. It kicked my butt, my average speed was up but it was really hard to keep it at 85, I was confortable around 70 - 76.

2011-03-13 12:33 AM
in reply to: #3394898

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
ricmachado - 2011-03-12 11:38 AM

So I went for a short ride this morning and since I fixed the cadence sensor I keept around 85 - 90rpm. It kicked my butt, my average speed was up but it was really hard to keep it at 85, I was confortable around 70 - 76.

I was the same way when I started last spring... didn't think there was any way I could sustain 90 rpms for 112 miles.  By August, it felt unnatural to pedal slower.  You will get there.

2011-03-13 12:39 AM
in reply to: #3394748

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN

Corncub - Speaking of shopping... I'm going to buy new sneakers today, my old ones are well, old.  I've been running in minimal shoes and I think I should have something with more support for these long distances -I think part of the discomfort I've had on my last couple of long runs could be due to the minimal shoes

This so funny to us from the midwest... I can always tell where someone lives from their vocabulary.  You call them sneakers on the east coast, in corn country we call them running shoes

Anyways, I was having trouble with my knees and hips after about 90 minutes running last year with Nike shoes I bought at JC Penny's...  Went to a real running store, the set me up on a treadmill with a video camera, watched it in slow motion, got me the right kind of shoes, and no more pain.  Can run 2-3 hours in my Mizuno shoes with no problems.

Edited by discipleguideservice 2011-03-13 12:40 AM

2011-03-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3395369

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
discipleguideservice - 2011-03-13 1:39 AM

Corncub - Speaking of shopping... I'm going to buy new sneakers today, my old ones are well, old.  I've been running in minimal shoes and I think I should have something with more support for these long distances -I think part of the discomfort I've had on my last couple of long runs could be due to the minimal shoes

This so funny to us from the midwest... I can always tell where someone lives from their vocabulary.  You call them sneakers on the east coast, in corn country we call them running shoes

Anyways, I was having trouble with my knees and hips after about 90 minutes running last year with Nike shoes I bought at JC Penny's...  Went to a real running store, the set me up on a treadmill with a video camera, watched it in slow motion, got me the right kind of shoes, and no more pain.  Can run 2-3 hours in my Mizuno shoes with no problems.

I think you are in the Ohio Valley. I'm from midwestern corn country, Iowa. I used to have a really good client in Angola, Indiana. He had a diner of some kind there. Anyway, we say tennis shoes in Iowa. When I was little it was "gym shoes" as opposed to "school shoes". Now I say sneakers....all my Chicago friends call them sneakers. It's so confusing, the brits call them "trainers". All I know is they are expensive and I got a lousy fitting. I have two pair that probably aren't the right shoe. I need to go to a different real running store. I used to have some Mizunos that I really liked. I play their irons, why not their shoes?
2011-03-14 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Just posting to get us back to the top.

How was everybody's weekend?
2011-03-14 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3394898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
ricmachado - 2011-03-12 11:38 AM

So I went for a short ride this morning and since I fixed the cadence sensor I keept around 85 - 90rpm. It kicked my butt, my average speed was up but it was really hard to keep it at 85, I was confortable around 70 - 76.   /QUOTE]

I was a gear cruncher too when I started with my coach.   Nothing magic about 90.  Some are higher, some lower.  But the 70s is too low probably to be efficient.  Low and you put too much on your legs.  Too high and you put too much on your lungs. You want a marriage of the two.  Try to incorporate drills with high cadence and single leg drills once a week.  Try short periods at 100 plus, like 5 mins at first...then 10...with five off, then 10 more...progress over a few weeks. I'm sure you can google high cadence drills and find great information.   Overtime, your average cadence will increase.  Important when we have to run off the bike.

2011-03-14 9:56 AM
in reply to: #3396490

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
stephsprint - 2011-03-14 6:13 AM Just posting to get us back to the top. How was everybody's weekend?

Good morning and Happy Monday. It was ok. Rained far too much. Still trying to get in the swing of things and the spring forward didn't help. Got an extremely good workout in yesterday though and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week. I've been eating horribly and I gained about 8lbs recently, not happy so changing my eating habits today! Giving away most of the goodies I brought back from Scotland as I just sit and eat, eat and eat.

How about you Steph? How was your weekend? What's on tap for the rest of your week (and everyone elses)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106