BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 80

2012-06-25 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4212573

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod
As a lifelong beach bum I agree, up until last year I had never swam for distance in the ocean- it's a fun time though enjoy!

2012-06-25 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Great jobs this weekend everyone!!! Smile

Question for the pod (with a little background):

I am supposed to do a sprint on July 7th (a Saturday) "Tri for Fun #2"--this is a repeat of one of my absolute worst races that I did last year, just to see how much I have improved. I had asked for the day off from work to do this race and got it approved--Unfortunately, I asked for SUNDAY, July 8th off--because I didn't pay attention...and now I can't take the 7th off (too many people got in requests sooner). Now...to complicate things, there IS a tri on the 8th--but its an olympic--the "Tri for Real" (same venue, same course, just longer)....ALSO, a month from then (kinda), on August 4th "Tri for Fun #3" is the next in that sprint series (which I also did last year, only I did it much better)--but on August 19th is the olympic (the Folsom Olympic)that I have been planning to do (and I still will do). 

The question is, should I attempt the Tri for Real on the 8th, or just attempt to get August 4th off and do the Tri for Fun#3? OR should I just say 'screw it', and NOT do Tri for Real or Tri for Fun#3 and just concentrate on the Folsom Olympic? I am open to any option, but I don't know which would be the wise choice in regards to training...

Thanks!

2012-06-25 10:31 PM
in reply to: #4280176

User image

Elite
kgore - 2012-06-25 9:22 PM

I am supposed to do a sprint on July 7th (a Saturday) "Tri for Fun #2"--this is a repeat of one of my absolute worst races that I did last year, just to see how much I have improved. I had asked for the day off from work to do this race and got it approved--Unfortunately, I asked for SUNDAY, July 8th off--because I didn't pay attention...and now I can't take the 7th off (too many people got in requests sooner). Now...to complicate things, there IS a tri on the 8th--but its an olympic--the "Tri for Real" (same venue, same course, just longer)....ALSO, a month from then (kinda), on August 4th "Tri for Fun #3" is the next in that sprint series (which I also did last year, only I did it much better)--but on August 19th is the olympic (the Folsom Olympic)that I have been planning to do (and I still will do). 

The question is, should I attempt the Tri for Real on the 8th, or just attempt to get August 4th off and do the Tri for Fun#3? OR should I just say 'screw it', and NOT do Tri for Real or Tri for Fun#3 and just concentrate on the Folsom Olympic? I am open to any option, but I don't know which would be the wise choice in regards to training...

Thanks!

I would do the Tri for Real!!!

2012-06-25 10:57 PM

User image

Master
kgore - 2012-06-25 7:22 PM

Thanks!

Ohhhh, do the Olympic.  Trust me when I tell you that you can do more than you think you can.  Even if you have to take it easy/easier than you would've on the sprint, you will complete it.  You can do it!!!!

2012-06-25 11:38 PM

User image

Master

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I swam 2.6km in the ocean!!!  With NO issues!  Actually felt comfortable in the water.  It was a really great experience. 

Got there at 6pm, got wetsuit on.  Thinking about this swim for the past few days, I wanted to try for 2km route, but thought I might not push it first time.  Organizers were having us sign in and give waivers in.  Met a guy named Jay--his first time as well.  We chatted for a few minutes, found that we swim about the same pace, and decided to buddy up.

Got in the water, it was cold.  Got the suit filled with water and my breath caught .  Oh oh I thought.  Stuck my face in, my breath caught again.  Put my face in again, breathed out a few times.  Well, can't hold up my buddy, so better just go.  On the way out to the first buoy (400m), left arm a bit sore/tired.  Breathing not too bad; breathing out well in the water, feel like a good pace.  Sighting ok, swimming straight not too bad.  Out the base of the triangle (~600m) past about 4-5 buoys.  Feeling ok--figure this is pretty good for a first time, will finish the lap.  Jay and I seem to be a good match pace wise.  Heading back in to finish the lap, I ask Jay if he is going around again.  He says yes and asks me.  I am feeling just fine, so I say I'll go for it and see how it goes--I'm not sure I will make it all the way around, but will make a start.  Start the second lap, on the way to the first buoy and I can see an eagle soaring above us.  And I realize that I am a)enjoying myself and b)comfortable in the water.  It was such a great experience to feel that.  So, second lap, only issue was that my wetsuit was chafing a bit on my right neck, will have to take care of that next time.

Now, technique.  Well, I'm not sure it was pretty.  For the most part, I just swam without thinking too much.  A few times I was really trying to be long, finish my stroke, rotate well.  But to be honest, it was more just let my body do what it wanted.  I didn't kick too much/too hard, because that is when I really struggle with breathing.  I did work on my kick for a few hundred meters here and there.  Started to get some calf cramps a couple times, but was able to stop kicking and swim through them.  I really do swim better (meaning I am more relaxed/comfortable in the water) when I don't think too much, and that was the vast majority of it tonight.

I am ECSTATIC about this swim.  I have now proven to myself that I can swim the distance I need to for my HIM.  What a confidence booster, as I have not swum that far in the pool.  I actually think that I could enjoy long distance swimming!

ETA: forgot to mention this:  when we were just about to get into the water, a lifeguard boat comes in with the guards doing CPR on someone.  OMG, this is NOT confidence boosting!  But wait, no one seems to be too 'hurried'.  Then we see a guy with a clipboard.  Ok, just training .  Phew!

Edited by bcraht 2012-06-25 11:49 PM
2012-06-26 12:38 AM
in reply to: #4276642

User image

England
rrrunner - 2012-06-23 5:30 PM

Allen, that is so cool that you are getting involved to get your daughter active! I have a 23 year old son who is 6'4" and was well above 300 lbs (sorry I don't do metric (lazy Americans)). A few months ago he decided to start getting fit and watching what he ate.  After a few months of running we bought him a hybrid bike and now he bikes or runs most every day.  I don't train with him because our schedules and preferred bike routes are VERY different, but I do enjoy talking nutrition and fitness with him.  He said he's down about 40 pounds!

Well I did a bike/run this morning. I did the bike on a multi use path that I've only every used for running before.  There was a bit of bike/run/walk traffic but I think overall it was a good ride and I was able to do the hard/easy intervals as listed on my plan.  I rode there so I didn't have to worry about hills interfering with my "easy" parts.  After the ride I was in for a 3 mile run.  With the mercury rising it turned into a run/walk but I think it was still a successful run, especially after pushing it on the bike.

Happy weekend all.  YANTI DON'T PUSH YOURSELF TO HARD!!!!!!!!!! DFL is a good goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good on your son and nice bike/ run to start the day.

2012-06-26 12:41 AM
in reply to: #4276473

User image

England
Tripopo - 2012-06-23 12:34 PM

Hey Allen-  good to see ya back!  Great job on getting your daughter motivated, just breaking that inertia will do wonders for her!  So you HTFU and signed up for another tri as well good for you Salty can suspend that bounty on you now.

Unexpected day off so I'm going to get a ride in before I go with DW to a 3 year olds b-day party, crazy life that I live huh?

Well i didn't actually say i had signed up for it, but now i know about the bounty................. best get moving. By the way, does a fun run count???

2012-06-26 12:46 AM
in reply to: #4277487

User image

England
rrrunner - 2012-06-24 5:03 PM

Oh Yanti.... the things you experience! Hope your RD recovers well, and as for you... BACK TO BED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No piglets, straight to bed! (You can type your RR from bed)

So I was just looking over my stats for the year so far.  My swim is at 99999.88 M! WTH? I wish I'd swam an extra .12 meters last time!?

Hope our other racers fared well.

You slacker

2012-06-26 12:57 AM
in reply to: #4277771

User image

England
KansasMom - 2012-06-24 10:35 PM

Have just a minute. In one year - went from dfl in my age group to 1st in my age group and just 5 minutes short of 3rd female overall. Perfect race for me - as good as I could do right now. 1.33.06. Last year was 1.57.xx. My goal this year is to cut off 5 more minutes.

My transitions were super speedy. More details after they are posted and we get home tomorrow. Racing is so much more fun in the middle rather than at the back. Swim was amazing. 1.40 per 100. Ecstatic.

Bloody hell, thats gooooooood

2012-06-26 1:01 AM
in reply to: #4278087

User image

England
bcraht - 2012-06-25 3:08 AM

Great job Felicia!  That's gotta feel good!

My race report is here.  I was happy with my race.  I was only 2:45 behind my time from last year--when I went all out--and I didn't go all out today.  I also probably lost that time having a potty break 3km in.  How is it that no matter how many times you go before the start, you still have to go???  We got nice weather too, about 12 C at race start, with sun and cloud.  It was downpouring yesterday afternoon, so was a little worried, but it cleared up nicely for this AM. 

Nice one Kirsten.Smile.    +2.45 isn't bad at all considering the 'break'

2012-06-26 1:04 AM
in reply to: #4277858

User image

England

Artemis - 2012-06-25 12:15 AM Thank goodness for Tegaderm!  My knees are so scraped and bruised after yesterday.  Coating with Tegaderm bandages is a huge help.  At least it doesn't hurt to wear pants now.

You do know that you were supposed to clear the obstacles? Sounds and looked liked a really interesting race. Great to see you in amongst it.

2012-06-26 1:14 AM
in reply to: #4280336

User image

England
bcraht - 2012-06-26 5:38 AM

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I swam 2.6km in the ocean!!!  With NO issues!  Actually felt comfortable in the water.  It was a really great experience. 

Got there at 6pm, got wetsuit on.  Thinking about this swim for the past few days, I wanted to try for 2km route, but thought I might not push it first time.  Organizers were having us sign in and give waivers in.  Met a guy named Jay--his first time as well.  We chatted for a few minutes, found that we swim about the same pace, and decided to buddy up.

Got in the water, it was cold.  Got the suit filled with water and my breath caught .  Oh oh I thought.  Stuck my face in, my breath caught again.  Put my face in again, breathed out a few times.  Well, can't hold up my buddy, so better just go.  On the way out to the first buoy (400m), left arm a bit sore/tired.  Breathing not too bad; breathing out well in the water, feel like a good pace.  Sighting ok, swimming straight not too bad.  Out the base of the triangle (~600m) past about 4-5 buoys.  Feeling ok--figure this is pretty good for a first time, will finish the lap.  Jay and I seem to be a good match pace wise.  Heading back in to finish the lap, I ask Jay if he is going around again.  He says yes and asks me.  I am feeling just fine, so I say I'll go for it and see how it goes--I'm not sure I will make it all the way around, but will make a start.  Start the second lap, on the way to the first buoy and I can see an eagle soaring above us.  And I realize that I am a)enjoying myself and b)comfortable in the water.  It was such a great experience to feel that.  So, second lap, only issue was that my wetsuit was chafing a bit on my right neck, will have to take care of that next time.

Now, technique.  Well, I'm not sure it was pretty.  For the most part, I just swam without thinking too much.  A few times I was really trying to be long, finish my stroke, rotate well.  But to be honest, it was more just let my body do what it wanted.  I didn't kick too much/too hard, because that is when I really struggle with breathing.  I did work on my kick for a few hundred meters here and there.  Started to get some calf cramps a couple times, but was able to stop kicking and swim through them.  I really do swim better (meaning I am more relaxed/comfortable in the water) when I don't think too much, and that was the vast majority of it tonight.

I am ECSTATIC about this swim.  I have now proven to myself that I can swim the distance I need to for my HIM.  What a confidence booster, as I have not swum that far in the pool.  I actually think that I could enjoy long distance swimming!

ETA: forgot to mention this:  when we were just about to get into the water, a lifeguard boat comes in with the guards doing CPR on someone.  OMG, this is NOT confidence boosting!  But wait, no one seems to be too 'hurried'.  Then we see a guy with a clipboard.  Ok, just training .  Phew!

Way to go Kirsten. Proper job.

2012-06-26 1:16 AM
in reply to: #4278992

User image

England
TriAya - 2012-06-25 5:27 PM
rrrunner - 2012-06-25 11:53 PM

melbo55 - 2012-06-25 9:24 AM Wow, super manatee results from Felicia, Kirsten and Jen!!  Hope I didn't miss the other write-ups.  My apologies if I did.  My not-so-stellar results can be found in my report.  But hey, I had a good time, didn't get hurt (unlike some folks I saw with skinned/cut up knees, elbows, shoulders), had a lot of fun with my friends and was able to finish.  It was a good day to be vertical, and now I have a time to beat for next year!

I said it in your RR thread and I'll say again here... I think you did great! You helping that woman through the race may be the encouragement she needed to keep running that day, and after.  We rarely know the impact we have on someone else. Many of us have a race in our list that doesn't look stellar on "paper" because we helped someone else.  But we, and they, will always have the memory of why that race was "slower".

x2 and it is the very best kind of training and race karma

CONGRATULATIONS MELANIE!

X3. Well done young lady.

2012-06-26 1:25 AM

User image

Elite
bcraht - 2012-06-25 11:38 PM

I am so proud of you - now you have to hang onto that feeling of comfort and having fun in the water, take it to all your races - it's no different at all.  I truly try and have fun in the water.

I too don't kick (Coach Johnny says it makes such a little difference to my speed it's not worth raising my HR for!).  I too get calf cramps, I've found if I 'talk to my ankles' it helps.  Relax ankles is what I say and it seems to help!

Run out of the water on your toes, don't put your feet flat that's where the cramp hits.  Don't forget you're horizontal for a while there with blood pooling in the wrong spots!  Takes a while for it to get back down to the calf muscles when vertical.

I'm so proud of you my little fishy!

2012-06-26 2:00 AM

User image

England
With all the race talk i just had to find something and yesterday noticed that advance warning of a road closure sign had been put up. for this Sunday. In my own town. I just had to get involved. so am now a proud participant in the Mansfield Fun Run. Yeah me. 1.5 miles of pure action packed adrenaline and men in monkey costumes. Cant wait. Yanti's RR will have nothing on mine. I'll even bite the race director myself if i have to.
2012-06-26 2:33 AM
in reply to: #4280390

User image

Melon Presser

ukweeble - 2012-06-26 3:00 PM With all the race talk i just had to find something and yesterday noticed that advance warning of a road closure sign had been put up. for this Sunday. In my own town. I just had to get involved. so am now a proud participant in the Mansfield Fun Run. Yeah me. 1.5 miles of pure action packed adrenaline and men in monkey costumes. Cant wait. Yanti's RR will have nothing on mine. I'll even bite the race director myself if i have to.

MONKEY BITES! Hahaha

I've got 122 pics so far. Bring it

2012-06-26 7:04 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
ukweeble - 2012-06-26 3:00 AMWith all the race talk i just had to find something and yesterday noticed that advance warning of a road closure sign had been put up. for this Sunday. In my own town. I just had to get involved. so am now a proud participant in the Mansfield Fun Run. Yeah me. 1.5 miles of pure action packed adrenaline and men in monkey costumes. Cant wait. Yanti's RR will have nothing on mine. I'll even bite the race director myself if i have to.
Are you going to be wearing a frog suit?
2012-06-26 10:00 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
kgore - 2012-06-25 10:22 PM

Thanks!

Another vote for go for the Tri for Real Olympic distance.  You have enough 'in the barn' to complete it, and it may be a good little test to see which area you need to work on, if any.  And remember to have fun!

2012-06-26 10:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
bcraht - 2012-06-26 12:38 AM

SUPER AWESOME, WOW!!!  Very impressive, you have every right to be proud!   What a manatee!

2012-06-26 10:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

ukweeble - 2012-06-26 3:00 AM With all the race talk i just had to find something and yesterday noticed that advance warning of a road closure sign had been put up. for this Sunday. In my own town. I just had to get involved. so am now a proud participant in the Mansfield Fun Run. Yeah me. 1.5 miles of pure action packed adrenaline and men in monkey costumes. Cant wait. Yanti's RR will have nothing on mine. I'll even bite the race director myself if i have to.

Monkey costumes?!?  This should be interesting!  Will you be wearing traditional running attire or 'fun' running attire?

2012-06-26 11:02 AM

User image

Master

ukweeble - 2012-06-26 12:00 AM With all the race talk i just had to find something and yesterday noticed that advance warning of a road closure sign had been put up. for this Sunday. In my own town. I just had to get involved. so am now a proud participant in the Mansfield Fun Run. Yeah me. 1.5 miles of pure action packed adrenaline and men in monkey costumes. Cant wait. Yanti's RR will have nothing on mine. I'll even bite the race director myself if i have to.

Way to go Allen!  Can't wait to read all about it!  Pics too please!

2012-06-26 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4280383

User image

Master
jobaxas - 2012-06-25 11:25 PM

I am so proud of you - now you have to hang onto that feeling of comfort and having fun in the water, take it to all your races - it's no different at all.  I truly try and have fun in the water.

I too don't kick (Coach Johnny says it makes such a little difference to my speed it's not worth raising my HR for!).  I too get calf cramps, I've found if I 'talk to my ankles' it helps.  Relax ankles is what I say and it seems to help!

Run out of the water on your toes, don't put your feet flat that's where the cramp hits.  Don't forget you're horizontal for a while there with blood pooling in the wrong spots!  Takes a while for it to get back down to the calf muscles when vertical.

I'm so proud of you my little fishy!

Awww, thanks Jo!  I have to admit, I was thinking of you when I was swimming.  It was relatively calm out, we got rolled around a little, but nothing like you described in some of your swims! 

2012-06-26 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Wow. Excellent job. That sounds like a lot of fun. Congratulations on a great swim.

2012-06-26 11:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Well, it looks like I'll be doing the Tri for Real! After all, I wouldn't want to go against the advice of the manatees! Laughing I kinda wanted to do it anyway, so it really wasn't a difficult decision...

Allen, I have an otter, red panda, or crocodile suit you can use--those trump monkey suits ANY day...come to think of it, I do have a gorilla suit too....hm, maybe I have a few issues.

2012-06-26 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas

ukweeble - 2012-06-26 2:00 AM With all the race talk i just had to find something and yesterday noticed that advance warning of a road closure sign had been put up. for this Sunday. In my own town. I just had to get involved. so am now a proud participant in the Mansfield Fun Run. Yeah me. 1.5 miles of pure action packed adrenaline and men in monkey costumes. Cant wait. Yanti's RR will have nothing on mine. I'll even bite the race director myself if i have to.

Now, that is a race attitude that I can respect. Good luck!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Part 2 -- Full Pod Rss Feed  

of 80