Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-11-23 6:57 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
thanks for setting up the Facebook back up forum Andrew. I don't know what Geneva is either, could be an american thing, as I am not old, obviously.

Back from my quick business trip to the UK, I was good with the alcohol intake (3 pints and 2 glasses of wine in 3 days of conference, that's pretty good. Damp 2023 still going strong), not so good on the food intake and OK on the exercice front with 2 walks and one R/B/R brick.

tonight I normally have my spin class but I will zwift easy instead, rather tired after the trip and coming home at 2am.

2023-11-23 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Finally got to a Thursday night swim last night.

I did the 1,000m swim, finished in 20:51 which was good for 14/45 overall and looks like I won my age group (out of 2, but whos counting) Overall I'm happy with how things went, but still a lot of work to be done. Sighting wasn't great, I let the wind/current blow me a bif off course on the way out and swam in a bit of an arc. I also took a few minutes to settle into things, but by the 2nd half I felt calm and in control. I did ruin that by speeding up and racing some random swimmer over the last few hundred meters though.

A good way to spend a summers Thursday night. Hopefully will do another 2 before my 70.3.

@Nat, doing a brick workout of any sort when you're away for work is pretty impressive. The most I've ever done is some running.

@Gretchen, Hope the cinnamon rolls were worth the 2am wake up. 5-6 hours running per week is pretty tough of the body. I'll be interested to see how you cope throughout the plan compared to your Ironman stuff. We all know you handle big volume well but not splitting your time across the 3 sports is going to be quite a change.

Big weekend coming up for me.
90 minute zwift 30 minute brick run tonight,
1hr 40-50 run Saturday
3 hour ride with 30 min brick run Sunday.

And then on to taper.

Have a good weekend everyone.
2023-11-24 12:12 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The cinnamon rolls were definitely worth it! If you already can't sleep, you might as well do something productive with your time.

30' foundation run in the books this morning. So far, my body has been holding up pretty well with running six days a week. It actually feels better than when I'm doing all three disciplines, but I expected that, since it is way reduced volume. The added bonus is that without major training stress, I've actually dropped a few of those pesky post-MiTi pounds that crept back on.
2023-11-26 6:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I approve of the cinnamon roll decision.    I also get that alcohol sugar buzz in the middle of the night if I imbibe too much.  And Geneva is a platform, Janyne is a person over in the Manatees mentor group.  Thanks to Andrew for setting up our backup plan

Had a good week here kinda all over the place with the holiday but going to get in three runs, four bikes, a long brisk walk (both pace and weather) and a whole bunch of strength and core work.  This was supposed to be a recovery week but I was a little behind on TSS progression so I pushed through.  I'll be ramping up the "speed" part of the running this next four-week block.

2023-11-26 8:16 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Last big week is in the books.

Workout wise I finished up with
Friday, 90 min zwift, Z2 with about 25 min sweet spot. followed by a 30 minute brick run on the treadmill
Saturday, 1hr 45 min run, with 3x20min @ my guestimate 70.3 pace. A little bit faster than an easy cruise, but manageable.
Sunday, 2hr 30 min ride (outdoors, on TT bike) with 3km brick run at 70.3 pace off the bike.

I also put my new wheels on the bike Saturday afternoon and took it for a little test ride to make sure I hadn't stuffed anything up. Only 15 minutes or so, but it counts I think.

Totals for the week,

Swim x2, 2,000m, 45min
Bike, x5, 7hr 45min
Run, x5, 4hr 5min. (3 bricks, 2 stand alone runs)

Total of 12 hours 36 minutes SBR for the week. Which is actually more than the biggest week last time I did an Ironman. So pretty please with myself.

Feeling very tired after that though. Today is a day off, and I've got to really focus on the rest and recovery over the next 10 days till race time.

Bring on the taper.
2023-11-27 1:45 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good job Andrew! Happy taper!

I also approve the decision to bake in the middle of the night, you simply did what you had to do.

A poor week for me, mostly due to my business trip. Still managed a short zwift on Thursday, a mtb ride on Saturday and a 10k run on Sunday since I came back.

New week, new trip (weekend away with my mum and sibblings) so there won’t be much at the weekend but the plan is strength class tonight, run intervals Wednesday and a ride at the hotel gym on Thursday. Maybe a run at the weekend but there will be some walking at least.
Have a great week!

2023-11-27 11:56 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone! Happy Thanksgiving (a little late) to Gretchen and Mike! and Jenn if you're around!

Andrew, I'm very jealous of your beach vacay. Sounds like you had a great time, and way to adapt your schedule!

Nat, you have definitely been crushing damp 2023. Sounds like a successful work trip all around.

Gretchen, happy anniversary!

Mike, great news on not having to go in to the office. Phew! Hope your hand is healing well.

Glad we have a backup for when BT is no more. I know I haven't met any of you other than Mike, but I would be sad to lose you all from my life! I miss our old BT'ers too.

2023-11-27 12:04 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a lovely week at my parents' house for the Thanksgiving holiday. Very relaxing, got in a couple runs, and lots of good family time.
I also didn't drink much. Had 2 drinks when I met up with some friends Wednesday.
Had some wine Thursday for the holiday - probably 4 glasses total but spread out from 3-8 or 9.
Had 2 beers (a chocolate stout and pumpkin stout) at a friend's place last night.

I'm thinking of doing dry December. My main motivation is that my weight has just gone up and up...this morning I was my heaviest ever. I know December can be tough with holiday celebrations and stuff, so think if I just take the drinking out completely maybe I will be successful. I want to get back below 170 at least, but preferably get down to 165.

Oh, I also booked a trip to Puerto Rico randomly at the end of January. Might change it up, but was just looking for something warm and easy so I have something to look forward to. These dark/cold days have hit me harder (and sooner) than usual.
2023-11-28 10:16 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes, pretty pleased with the way this year has turned out re alcohol intake. I think Damp 2023 will turn into Damp Rest of my Life

Seems like Damp November is going well for you Nicole, you have all my support for Dry December. A great way to drop those stubborn pounds (12 of them just melted away when I stopped drinking so much)

"a chocolate stout and pumpkin stout!" how were they? Any good? sounds strange to me. Drank a nice non alcoholic lager in the UK which is unfortunately not available here.

A trip to warmer climate in January sounds like a great idea!

2023-11-28 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey all and hope everyone is having a good start to the week.  If you look in T-Talk it looks like we got enough momentum to keep BT going for the time being, as a lot of people have logs going back forever and want to keep all of that (me included). 

I'm starting the next phase of my "get back my run" training and did more organized speed work today on the treadmill.  Mile WU, 5 x 30" at around my mile race pace (or at least my best guess at this point) with 2.5' walk/run recoveries in between, a little of over three miles included the cool down.  I'm starting to get my leg speed back which I'm hoping will translate to 5K speed eventually.  It's quite a process.  LOL

@Andrew:  enjoy taper - try not to bounce off the walls, and no you're not getting sick; nice OWS, too

@Gretchen:  when's your next race again?

@Nicole:  I struggle mightily with weight this time of year, though dropping alcohol helps - it's all experimentation to make sure you're happy mentally while doing right by your body/health (and you've finally gotten to the age where you not only can't outrun your diet, but what you eat/drink doubles down on impacting that trying to outrun )

@Nathalie:  have fun with your family and keep up the good work exercising a little while traveling

Tomorrow will be my first swim in three weeks (my hand still hasn't totally healed but it's fine to get wet now) and an hour on the bike.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-11-28 10:37 AM
2023-11-28 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Not much to report for training yet this week. 1 day planned off, 2nd day unplanned off, life just got too much in the way. Today is Mrs Bullfrogs and my anniversary, 9 years married believe it or not, so I will try to do a short workout, but should probably be a bit more focused on 'couple time' rather than 'training time' tonight.

I have also picked up the traditional taper sniffles (sorry Mike). Definitely very blocked up the last couple of days. Everything is above the neck so not too concerned. But getting past that is more important than pushing through the plans specified taper week workouts. Also broken out with a cold sore, which is a definite sign my body is catching up after pushing hard.

2023-11-30 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Sorry about the sniffles, Andrew.  I'm assuming something hurts for no reason as well. 

Having a good week so far, three straight days of nailing my workouts including a double yesterday and lots of pushing hard intervals (well, not on the swim - that was a mess!).  Another double tomorrow with an AM swim and a lunch short bike and short run.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

2023-11-30 7:21 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
End of the month in the Antipodes.

A little less swim and run, but a little more bike for about the same volume as October.

Swim: x4, (2 pool, 2 OWS) 3,560m, 1hr 20min
Bike, x15, 20hr 5min
Run, x16, 12hr 30 (100.3km)

Total of about 34 hours

How was everyone else's month?
2023-11-30 7:31 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Sorry about the sniffles, Andrew.  I'm assuming something hurts for no reason as well. 

Nice work on hitting all your workouts. Season 2024 is off to a flyer.

Sniffles are much better than monday, so trending positively. Nothing specific hurts, but there is definitely a general sore/tired feeling over my entire body. Yay for the taper.

I have actually done some work this week. 30 minute run Wednesday and Thursday. 90 minute zwift Thursday.
Tonight will be an hour on the bike,
Tomorrow a 2 hour ride/30 min brick run and Sunday a 60-75 minute run.

We've also got a big weekend in 'real life' Saturday is the local Santa parade, which the little ones are very excited about. And Sunday is Miss 2s 3rd birthday party (actual birthday a couple weeks away but it's a busy time of year) Gearing up for a big weekend.

8 days from race day. Close enough that the long range weather forecast covers it. This far out, conditions are perfect, scattered clouds, light winds and 11-23 deg C (51-74 Freedom units) That's a worry, there's no way a forecast that far out can be accurate, and it's only going to get worse.
2023-12-01 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog End of the month in the Antipodes. A little less swim and run, but a little more bike for about the same volume as October. Swim: x4, (2 pool, 2 OWS) 3,560m, 1hr 20min Bike, x15, 20hr 5min Run, x16, 12hr 30 (100.3km) Total of about 34 hours How was everyone else's month?

Well, when comparing to Fat Thor month, anything is solid.  Still a good month with a work trip and the Thanksgiving debauchery:

Swim: 2h 18m 29s - 5250 Yd <<<< this was lower than planned due to me being an idiot
Bike: 9h 49m 36s - 182.79 Mi <<<< more or less as planned, still trying to figure out the optimal bike amount with my run focus
Run: 6h 59m 57s - 36.89 Mi <<<< very happy with this
Strength: 10h 21m <<<< still. so. weak. 
Hiking: 4h 46m <<<< fast-walking with the wife (happy wife, happy life and all )
Incline Treadmill Walking: 1h 04m (this is WU and CD for my treadmill runs)

December ramps up some intensity and a little more volume.  And some swimming.

2023-12-01 11:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy anniversary, Andrew! Congrats on 9 years! Enjoy your busy weekend and taper

Nat, the beers were delicious. I'm a Stout/porter person so this is my season Or at least it was until today, when my dry December starts
I never really seem to lose weight when I stop drinking, but I think it's because my diet still struggles.

Mike I hear you on the balance of basically what you're willing to give up and not go into a deep depression. I find the older I get, the more seasonal depression I feel, so also being hungry and feeling less social when not drinking are not ideal. Gonna feel it out these next couple weeks.

2023-12-01 11:41 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a ride Tuesday morning (30 min PZ) and this morning (45 min PZ). Going to try to get a run in both tomorrow and Sunday (when it's light out). I was otherwise pretty lazy this week, so need to work on that more.

I did decide to do Dry December, so that has officially started (how it's December already I truly have no idea). I weighed in yesterday at my heaviest ever so need to really focus. None of my non-stretchy pants fit. Luckily I have some work pants that are stretchier, but it's felt really restrictive when getting ready in the morning trying to avoid pants I'm going to have to unbutton partway through the day, and starts my day off feeling blah. My winter coat is also feeling *quite* snug, and I definitely don't feel like buying a new one of those.
2023-12-01 6:49 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Sooooo...my daughter qualified for USAT Age Group Nationals Olympic distance (while I was my working on my epic meltdown in my Oly last year) so I get to be sherpa in Atlantic City next September.  We've already planned a 4-day weekend around it.  She's doing her second half marathon in two months tomorrow, as well.  I think the "she's better than I am in the pool, but I'll beat her on the bike and run" ship is sailing away.  

2023-12-03 3:49 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Sooooo...my daughter qualified for USAT Age Group Nationals Olympic distance (while I was my working on my epic meltdown in my Oly last year) so I get to be sherpa in Atlantic City next September.  We've already planned a 4-day weekend around it.  She's doing her second half marathon in two months tomorrow, as well.  I think the "she's better than I am in the pool, but I'll beat her on the bike and run" ship is sailing away.  

That is awesome! not so much the getting beaten by the offspring, but your daughter qualifying for a national champs must be such a proud moment for you.

Edited by bulfrog 2023-12-03 3:58 PM
2023-12-03 3:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I think I've figured out that December is not the best time to try and peak for a long distance triathlon. Life well and truly kicked my arse over the weekend.

I forgot Friday night was at my parents for decorating the tree/dinner. Followed by the busy weekend I mentioned before. The good, is everyone had wonderful times, and we have very happy but tired children after a santa and birthday party filled weekend. The bad, is we also have a very tired Mr and Mrs Bullfrog.

I did get most of what I wanted in, 2 hour ride followed with 30 minute brick run Saturday morning. 60ish minute ride Sunday morning and a 30 minute treadmill jog Sunday evening. But man I was tired by Sunday night. Monday is a rest day, I've got to really make an effort to max out my sleep the next few days. Only 5 sleeps till race day.

@Mike. Nice solid month for the off season there. Swim more in December is a comment that I also resemble.

@Niocle. Dry December sounds particularly challenging, with Christmas and New Years parties/functions it would have to be the hardest month for me to try and go totally dry. I hope it works out for you. plus 1 for 'how is it December' This year seems to have raced away.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend.
2023-12-04 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog

That is awesome! not so much the getting beaten by the offspring, but your daughter qualifying for a national champs must be such a proud moment for you.

I'm shooting for AGN this year - I have two races that are "special qualifiers" where a bigger field (top third of age group) qualifies so I'm hoping to join her (though she's doing the Oly on Saturday and I'd be doing the Sprint on Sunday).  I "age up" to M55-59 next year.  I can't believe I just typed that. 

2023-12-04 7:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog I Hope everyone else had a good weekend.

Had a crazy weekend around here ourselves, starting with a swim/strength, then bike/run double training on Friday, 90-minute Bikram session Saturday, and a bike warm up and long run (5 miles, which is my long run LOL) on Sunday.  Very good training week - hit all the markers.  Then my daughter and I stayed up late watching some Nicholas Cage movie ("Knowing"...from like 2009 or something), and then we stayed up late last night going to see Pentatonix do their live Christmas show in Baltimore.  December is indeed nuts. 

@Andrew:  enjoy every minute of your kids being that age - yes it's exhausting but you'll remember it forever; great work getting all of the training in but at this point I think the hay's in the barn, so to speak

@Nicole:  don't beat yourself up and like Andrew says Dry December would be brutal - just be consistent as you can be with your workouts; it didn't help how depressing the weather was here this weekend (rained from about 2 PM Friday until Sunday afternoon, and it was foggy and dreary throughout)

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-12-04 7:43 AM
2023-12-04 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I'm shooting for AGN this year - I have two races that are "special qualifiers" where a bigger field (top third of age group) qualifies so I'm hoping to join her (though she's doing the Oly on Saturday and I'd be doing the Sprint on Sunday).  I "age up" to M55-59 next year.  I can't believe I just typed that. 

As someone who is also aging up next year. M40-44, I feel your pain.

I'm planning on a stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike for my midlife crisis. Although Mrs Bullfrog thinks it would be cheaper to just get a mistress haha.

Looking forward to seeing you nail that nationals qualification
2023-12-05 1:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Hope you qualify and can do it ”together”. So you’ll be amongst the youngster in your new AG, cool!
Race week Andrew, whooo! Exciting!
Nicole, I disagree with the guys. Dry December may be the hardest but that’s why you should do it and also, if you postpone this, you’ll be “oh well, I might as well overdo it in December”. I know I would.

Me: Fat/lazy Nat has been trying to creep back into my life slowly since the end of the racing season and after 2 weeks with travelling once for work once for fun, she’s succeeded . Didn’t do anything last week, other than run in the airport to make my connection (10 minutes, zone 3) and to the station to get my train (5 minutes zone 4). Plus, too much food (but moderate drinking).

Started this week by doing nothing and won’t do anything today either (no time tonight) nor on Thursday (going to hockey instead of my spin class, which I have now missed 4 times (out of 6, great)). Run intervals tomorrow though.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-12-05 8:03 AM
2023-12-05 3:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I'm planning on a stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike for my midlife crisis. Although Mrs Bullfrog thinks it would be cheaper to just get a mistress haha.

A stupidly over priced and non justified Tri bike sounds perfect for your midlife crisis, I vote for that.

LOL, Mrs Bullfrog , it probably would but it's hard enough finding time for training with one partner (and kids in your case), can you imagine the struggle with another one in your life?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland