Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2023-12-18 10:40 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Read it now, thanks for sharing. Looks like it went according to plan-ish but you have identified the weaknesses. And no, that's not the transitions in this case Mike although I agree, transitions is racing

Fat Nat is still kind of here (ie I eat too much) but at least I am back on track re training so we're limiting the damage.

happy new week everyone!

2023-12-18 8:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Nat, I think everyone in the western world eats too much between now and the new year, so I wouldn't stress too much about that. Good to see that Fit Nat is regaining the upper hand over her evil twin Nat Nat.
2023-12-18 8:58 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So I've come to an unfortunate decision. Long story short, I'm not going to do the full Ironman this summer, I have applied for the deferral program to switch to March 2025, I'm sure it'll be approved but hasn't yet come through.

There's a few reasons, but essentially it's because although I have made so much progress with my fitness, and weight over the last 12-18 months getting back into something that resembles 'shape' I think I would be looking at another midnight finish if I went ahead with march. And if/when I do another full I don't want to be cutting things that fine any more. I want a 13-15 hour Ironman, not a 17 hour one.

As a family we also have a lot happening in December and January, so I know that my training isn't going to be perfect, sessions will be missed and training blocks compromised. And if I'm honest with myself if I have any chance of improving on my previous Ironmans training would need to be prefect between now and then. Which isn't going to happen.

So for now, the main goal for the next 12 months is to be consistent. 2023 has been good, one of my best. But 2024 needs to be better. My aim is to be averaging around 10 hours/week throughout the year, obviously some peaks and troughs around races and recovery but build that base. I also need a real swim focus/commitment for 2024. My swim used to be a strength (relatively that is) but it's become a problem. I have to get that volume, and frequency up.

Race wise, the Bullfrog household planning committee hasn't had that conversation yet but I'm thinking a couple of sprint tris, and half marathons during summer. Still keen on my first standalone marathon in November to celebrate 40. And then back to Ironman focus for IMNZ 2025. Details and dates to be confirmed.

Cancelling a race sucks. I do not enjoy it. But sometimes it's better to take a step back, and have a short term disappointment to get a long term win.

Hope you all are having a more positive week than I am.
2023-12-19 12:59 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

@Nat, I think everyone in the western world eats too much between now and the new year, so I wouldn't stress too much about that. Good to see that Fit Nat is regaining the upper hand over her evil twin Nat Nat.

Yes, I am giving myself a break about food over the holidays but still, I have to be careful not to put on too much weight.

Went to that strength training class last night for the second time. It was kind of fun and very much needed.

Sorry to hear you are cancelling your race but I agree with your reasons. Glad you’ve got other races to look forward to this Summer, which one will become your ‘A” race then?

2023-12-19 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by bulfrog

Yes, I am giving myself a break about food over the holidays but still, I have to be careful not to put on too much weight.

Went to that strength training class last night for the second time. It was kind of fun and very much needed.

Sorry to hear you are cancelling your race but I agree with your reasons. Glad you’ve got other races to look forward to this Summer, which one will become your ‘A” race then?

Nice job with the strength training. I'm on day 3 of nothing again, one thing I left out, towards the end of my recovery week I picked up a bit of a flu. What a way to end the year! Monday was the worst, definitely on the other side now but want to make sure I'm properly past it.

The Auckland Marathon, in November will be by designated A race for the year. My 2nd A race, for the summer is still to be determined. Possibly the waterfront half marathon in April. Or I'm tossing up focusing more on training consistency and racing for fun rather than peaking. We will see.
2023-12-25 3:01 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Merry Christmas from NZ BDASers. Hope you all over indulge a suitable amount and are back into it tomorrow.

I've been sick all week so am on 8 days no training. Sucks. But will be back into it soon enough.

2023-12-25 3:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Merry Christmas people of BDAS! We celebrate on Christmas Eve over here, so that’s that out of the way!
Had a lovely time with just my husband and son. The highlight was playing street ice hockey. No, not street hockey, the road in front of our house was covered in ice, so we got sticks and pucks out.Fun! Weather is warmer now so, no more ice rink on our front door.

Did a 45 minutes bike ride before eating too much, so still in damage control mode. Had a decent training week, strength class on Monday, run and strength on Wednesday with my club and long run on Saturday.

Soon 2024, starting to think about which races I will do.

Sorry to hear you’re sick Andrew, hope you can get back into things soon.

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-12-25 5:08 AM
2023-12-26 6:50 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Merry Christmas (a bit late!). Back in the states…adjusting, but jet lagged. Gave myself a week to recover and relax after an intense season.
2023-12-26 6:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  We're back from VERY not sunny Florida (cool, cloudy, really windy, and some rain pretty much all week) and enjoyed a peaceful Christmas here at the house with a couple of family members, then watched the Ravens shellac the 49ers last night.  Stayed up late and had a few beers so pretty tired this morning but should be able to get something in today with an abbreviated work schedule.  Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Got in a little training down there with a couple of good runs, though Fat Thor tried to come back a little. 

@Andrew:  your plan seems very solid and I look forward to seeing how you map it out; hope you feel better...my daughter has a cold and I've spent the last 10 days with her so hopefully I don't get it

@Nathalie:  street ice hockey!!!  how cool!  I played ice hockey on ponds growing up (when it used to be cold enough around here, not so much the past 20 years or so); looking forward to the packed-to-the-rim Fit Nat race schedule

@Gretchen:  hope you enjoyed Italy - now travel home safely

@Nicole:  hope you had a good holiday - check in with us when you get a chance

@Everyone...we're approached year's end and I'm not sure Alice is going to ramp up another mentor group signup so let's plan on being here for now; if Alice posts something I'll set it up again

Have a great last week of the year!

2023-12-30 2:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad you were able to keep Fat Thor away (ish) on your trip to Florida Mike.

I’ve had a good week so far in terms of hours, despite most group training taking a break.
Monday 30 minutes strength and mobility
Tuesday day off but 15 minutes of above
Wednesday 1+ hour run intervals
Thursday 75 minutes spin class (the only class on this week)
Friday 1+h of hill repeats on my home tri course.
Saturday: planning a Zwift session
Sunday: usual distance run

And about one hour’s walk with the dog every day

However, Fat Nat is in total control of the dietary side of things so I am eating more than I need and damp 2023 is a (not so) distant memory. Oh well, I let her have her moment and will take control back on Monday. Starting with Dry January.

Hope everyone is doing well

Edited by Rollergirl 2023-12-30 2:48 AM
2023-12-30 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey all...training question for you.  I'm currently in the middle of a run build out to 15 miles a week, which consists of two 3-4 mile runs with intervals, a short 1 mile "brick" run, and a 5-mile easy long run, all adhering to Daniels' interval percentage limits (very similar to 80/20, just more prescriptive at the different training levels).  Seems to be working as a plan to get my ready for next year to be more competitive in sprints.

After this 12-week plan I'm going to take a transition easy week, then hit the bike hard for six weeks to build my baseline FTP and sprint racing pacing (so lots of VO2 max and threshold work).  That's going to require dropping some running for sure...so my question is how much can I drop and still hold that fitness or at least close to it?  I was thinking keeping a longer run in the 4-mile range, then one "quality" run with some light intervals and one more short run for frequency's sake, no more than 9 miles/week total. 

Thoughts/experiences?

***For the record, this wasn't even a consideration ten years ago...I'd just thrash on everything until I couldn't anymore.  LOL

2023-12-31 5:28 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Hey all...training question for you.  I'm currently in the middle of a run build out to 15 miles a week, which consists of two 3-4 mile runs with intervals, a short 1 mile "brick" run, and a 5-mile easy long run, all adhering to Daniels' interval percentage limits (very similar to 80/20, just more prescriptive at the different training levels).  Seems to be working as a plan to get my ready for next year to be more competitive in sprints.

After this 12-week plan I'm going to take a transition easy week, then hit the bike hard for six weeks to build my baseline FTP and sprint racing pacing (so lots of VO2 max and threshold work).  That's going to require dropping some running for sure...so my question is how much can I drop and still hold that fitness or at least close to it?  I was thinking keeping a longer run in the 4-mile range, then one "quality" run with some light intervals and one more short run for frequency's sake, no more than 9 miles/week total. 

Thoughts/experiences?

***For the record, this wasn't even a consideration ten years ago...I'd just thrash on everything until I couldn't anymore.  LOL

I have no idea, for me it would be how much time I need for the bike workouts. That said, 3 runs a week sounds like that should be enough to maintain run fitness.
2023-12-31 12:37 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Happy New Year, everyone!!

I’m splashing out on 2023…it isn’t even a damp return from the field. It is like the damn bayou around here. Oh well…tomorrow starts 2024 training season in earnest, so drinking stops at midnight.

@Mike—i think you’d be good with three runs a week, long roping out at about 80% of your race distance (at a SLOW) pace. But…of course my first instinct is to just pile the other stuff on top of the intense run training. :D.

2023-12-31 5:05 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Happy New Year, everyone!! I’m splashing out on 2023…it isn’t even a damp return from the field. It is like the damn bayou around here. Oh well…tomorrow starts 2024 training season in earnest, so drinking stops at midnight. @Mike—i think you’d be good with three runs a week, long roping out at about 80% of your race distance (at a SLOW) pace. But…of course my first instinct is to just pile the other stuff on top of the intense run training. :D.

Yeah...so run more and faster.  Got it. 

Your response made me laugh out loud on the 80%...my target is a 5K so that's like 2.5 miles as my long run.  Sounds like a plan!!

2024-01-01 1:00 PM
in reply to: #5287585

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
^^that’s EXACTLY what I said. Good job, Mike!!

47’ run for me this morning. A bit rough, as the first run in two weeks and after last night’s poor decisions (ahem…we call em like we see em around here), but run one for the year done.

Happy New Year all!!
2024-01-02 2:06 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Happy New year! Celebrated the first day of the year with a 15 minutes strength session and 50 minutes FTP Zwift ride. (looks like my new year’s resolution is to start using technical terms/acronyms, even without understanding them).

Also celebrated the first day of dry January with a glass of wine, as you do

2024-01-02 6:32 AM
in reply to: #5287589

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run #2 in the books for 2024. It was kinda ugly and didn’t feel great, but was only 35’ long, so I didn’t have to suffer long.

One of my goals for January is to drink more water—not hard, considering in December I think I drank one glass…total. Lots of caffeine and alcohol in December, not great. So…for January I’ve committed to 60oz (~2L) a day, minimum. When I drink water, I feel great! I don’t know what causes me to stop, because I know this!
2024-01-02 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy New Year BDASers!! 

Finished up the month (and year) strong with a 5 mile run on Sunday.  Totals for the year:

Swim: 52h 04m 19s - 127634.11 Yd (under plan by about 25K yards, but I missed like six weeks in Oct / Nov traveling and when I cut my hand)
Bike: 148h 52m 46s - 2788.52 Mi (just under plan, but close enough...about 100 miles longer than 2022)
Run: 61h 32m 28s - 321.8 Mi (thumbs up - I think a little above plan and longest run year since 2014)
Strength: 103h 23m
Hiking: 66h 54m - 200 Mi (this is my fast walking my wife and I do - a good compliment to running)

Working through my goals for 2024 now, though the primary focus is going to be qualifying for Age Group Nationals in the sprint distance.

2024-01-02 8:36 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy New Year everyone!!!
Sorry I fell off the map in December. I just read through everything quickly, though definitely need a little more time to fully catch up. Sounds like everyone had a pretty good December!

Mike, sorry Florida was kind of gross when you were there. Also, congrats to your daughter! AC should be fun in August!

Nat, I guess it's okay to give Fat Nat one month (December) and then get back on track! Also, ice hockey in the street sounds really cool! We've had a relatively mild winter here so far, not a sign of snow or ice.

Gretchen, sounds like you worked hard/played hard while in Egypt. Welcome back state-side!

Andrew, great job on your race! I know it wasn't all that you wanted, but sounds like it was pretty solid, which around the holidays is really impressive. Great work, and I hope you enjoyed your rest and are feeling better!

2024-01-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Quick update for me:

Dry December was a success! Definitely a tough time of year to do it, but honestly, not as hard as I thought it would be. I did become a little less social, but that was only partly b/c of being dry. Work was also really crazy. I did drink NYE a little, but plan to continue otherwise being dry into January.

I was still somewhat active but definitely not where I needed to be. I had a lot of mornings where I woke up early and was feeling stressed, so just went to work instead of working out. I used the holiday break (we get the week between Christmas and New Years off) to reset my mindset a bit. I know that I am better in general when I am working out consistently. So I need to remind myself of that on those mornings when work is feeling overwhelming.

Overall I feel pretty good. I did a bike boot camp yesterday and some yoga this morning. I've also been decluttering my house (started with my kitchen yesterday), so that will continue for the next few weeks I think. I didn't gain weight over the holiday, stayed kind of steady, so I guess will take that as a win, but I am hyper-focused on diet and exercise now to hopefully feel better in my body.

I'm getting back into my tracking from my birthday plan...just because a few months were less than ideal doesn't mean I can still crush my last year in my 30s

I've missed you guys and will make sure to be more accountable on here, as that really helps me overall.
2024-01-02 12:52 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  First workout(s) in the books for 2024 with a whole bunch of badges in Training Peaks.   20+ minute bike warm-up then almost 4 miles on the treadmill with 6 x 1' @ mile race pace as the main set.  I'm also seeing a physical therapist (finally) to work through my lingering back issues which have some root in my hips and hamstrings so we're working on that this year. 

@Nicole:  welcome back - nice work staying steady through December now time to crush 2024.

2024-01-02 3:32 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Welcome back Nicole! Glad to hear dry december was a success!

Gretchen, good idea to drink more water. I am a big water drinker. I have a 16oz/0.5 liter bottle on my desk at work which I fill up several times and one by my bed which I empty during the night. Maybe start with carrying a bottle with you, get into the habit of taking a sip at regular intervals.

Solid year numbers Mike, I’ll check mine and write them tomorrow. Glad you are getting help with your back, hope it works.
2024-01-03 2:27 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi there everyone. Sorry for being missing in action the last few weeks. The cold I picked up has taken forever to get over, teh flu stuff didn't last too long but both Mrs BF and I have had seriously blocked up sinuses for weeks now. (too much information I'm sure) I'm almost there, but 3 weeks later still not 100%. Happy end to the year.

We've also been away to the family bach (holiday home) Caught some fish, drank some beers, played with the quad bikes and tractor. Lots of fun, very happy children and grand parents, but not so relaxing for mum and dad. Back home now for the last few days of summer holidays, and after 2 weeks of absolutely zero starting to train again.

I'm also giving myself the same challenge I gave myself this time last year. I want to run every day for January. (min 15 minute jog) Last year I think I made it 22 days, lets see if I can make it the whole month to kick start the year.

Anybody keen to join? I'll let you have the first 2 days of the year off as I didn't say anything before now.

2024-01-03 2:34 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Nicole. Nice to see you back. And congratulations on Dry December. If you can do that, you can do dry - anything you want. What's the next mini goal?

@Nat. Sounds like Fit Nat is back in charge. This time of year it's not Fat Nat making meal choices, its Festive Nat

@Gretchen. Crushing the runs as always. I'm another one who should drink more water. If it had a higher caffeine content it would be easier. I find sparkling water helps me, bubbles trick my mind into thinking its a treat.

@Mike, Hope the PT helps nail those back issues. and 'Badges? Badges? We don't need no stinkin Badges!'
2024-01-03 2:44 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Thoughts/experiences?

I'm going to go in a different direction to the others. Yes, lots of training plans would say 3 runs/week as you've described is the way to go. And you'd do well with it I'm sure. But I find frequency really matters for my running. I would suggest keeping your 2 quality runs (long/interval) but rather than just 1 extra at least 2 or 3. Do a jog as warm up for your strength, do a brick after a bike, fit them in somewhere.

I'd also point out that you don't need to do every type of run every week. Maybe a long run 5 or 6 miles once every 2-3 weeks rather than forcing a 4 mile longish run every week.

If you're sticking to your 9 miles/week maybe:
Week A, 3 x 2 mile easy, 1 x 3 mile tempo = 9 miles
Week B, 2 x 1 mile brick, 2 x 2 mile easy, 1 x 3 mile with intervals = 9 miles
Wweek C, 2 x 2 mile easy, 1 x 5 mile long with fast finish. = 9 miles
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland