Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 124

2024-01-07 10:19 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove I ran just under 25,000 corgis this morning. 

That's 25 kcs, please.  Geez, get the nomenclature right. 

Shouldn’t it be kc rather than kcs? Like it’s km, not kms?

Today’s exercice was about 600c walk with the dog, the rest of the day is being spent horizontally.

Got to watch my hockey team on tv yesterday, despite having tickets to the game. My son took my place and unlike his mum, he is not a loud supporter. I am sure that why we lost. Only the 2nd time this season we lose in regulation at home. `I wasn’t there the first time either. Coincidence?

2024-01-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Gretchen, The franken plan looks intimidating. You know your body though, so I'm sure you'll pull it off. I've seen the level 3 plan. That's too much for me. And that's before you add a marathon on top of it. I tend to agree with coach mike about having a recovery week, rather than day post marathon. If you run the marathon properly (as we know you will) you will need some recovery to avoid putting yourself in a big hole. I'm sure you'll figure out what will work for you though.

@Nicole, Doing something for yourself every day = consistency. And that's the main thing for all of us. Glad to hear you're feeling motivated right now. Hope that continues long term.

@Nat,Hope that sick Nat has been dispatched by now. 2 losses and 2 absent hockey Nats? Yup, you're 100% to blame. Only reasonable explanation I can think of.

@Corgis. Definitely should be kilo corgis, unless swimming. Swims are meters/yards, bike and run km/miles. c's and kc's would be appropriate.
2024-01-07 2:50 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Week 1 of the year done and dusted. As I said before more about getting back into a routine for the next couple of weeks.

Swim: 0
Bike: x3 zwift, 3 hours
Run, x7, 21km, 3 hours

Total 6 hours. much better than 2 weeks of zeros. Much the same planned for this week, but as I'm back to work and into normal life should be a swim or 2 back in the program.
2024-01-07 6:46 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks everyone! I downloaded Training Peaks and have it synced up. I was hoping it would pull in prior data but not so lucky yet. But I might play around in there to see if it's possible.

I had zero plans this weekend and it was amazing. I cleaned a bunch of crap out of my basement, which feels amazing. It's been hanging over me for awhile. It was also nostalgic, since I got to look through old photos and such Feeling excited to get moving on renovating my basement, and this was a big step. I still have a ways to go, but little by little

I also got some stretching in and did a 30 minute PZ ride today. Oh and I'm doing a juice cleanse. Started it today, and it's a 3 day cleanse, so through Tuesday. I felt like I needed a little reset.

Oh and sad news, I missed doing a workout Saturday I was so involved with all the cleaning that I forgot to get a class in. So unfortunately I won't hit my goal of a Peloton class every day, but it was worth it and I'm still going to aim for all the other days!
2024-01-07 6:57 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole:  Cleaning = Workout.  At least around my house.  If you aren't sweating, you aren't cleaning right. 

Finished up the week with a great 5 mile easy run.  My physical therapist gave me a bunch of "activators" for my hip flexors and back so I did them after a 20 minute warm up on the bike, and my run felt awesome.  40 degrees and kinda humid so perfect running weather.  I also finally decided to accept I'm not 25 anymore so I put on running tights so that helped as well.  I'd rather be a little warm running than cold.

2024-01-07 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

Oh and sad news, I missed doing a workout Saturday I was so involved with all the cleaning that I forgot to get a class in. So unfortunately I won't hit my goal of a Peloton class every day, but it was worth it and I'm still going to aim for all the other days!

A peloton ride every day challenge could easily change to 31 rides in 31 days for the month

2024-01-07 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

@Nicole:  Cleaning = Workout.  At least around my house.  If you aren't sweating, you aren't cleaning right. 

Finished up the week with a great 5 mile easy run.  My physical therapist gave me a bunch of "activators" for my hip flexors and back so I did them after a 20 minute warm up on the bike, and my run felt awesome.  40 degrees and kinda humid so perfect running weather.  I also finally decided to accept I'm not 25 anymore so I put on running tights so that helped as well.  I'd rather be a little warm running than cold.

Now I'd rather be a little cold than too hot running. Although Auckland cold is not very cold by your standards. If there was snow outside I might feel differently.

What sort of 'Activators' are you doing for your hip flexors? I'm also accepting I"m not 25 any more and need to do more of that kind of stuff...
2024-01-08 10:14 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm with Mike, I'd rather be cold when running than hot!! Also with Mike on considering cleaning a workout...at least it is in my house!

Today marks the beginning of IM training in earnest. I started off with a bang...a triple workout day. I was supposed to get up at 4:15 and do a fartlek run before Master's, but I set my alarm for 4:15am on Saturday only, so I didn't get up in time to do that. No problem, change of plans worked out to be Masters swim from 6-7:10 (3100 corgis), then strength training from 7:20-8:10, and then finally a 35' fartlek run. I'm a bit tired now...hahahahaha. Time to start working for the day, but at least I can lay on my bed and do my leg compression recovery while I catch up on emails and update you all. I'm on sabbatical this semester, so my work schedule is insanely flexible--more so than my already pretty flexible work schedule. I have a feeling I'm going to need it, looking at my training plan.

@Nat--I agree with the others, you caused the loss by not attending the game! What were you thinking sending a boy to do a woman's job?!?!! :P
2024-01-09 2:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I don’t have any preferences when it comes to running too cold, too hot, whatever. The only thing weather related that stops me from running is the ground, if there is ice and/or snow I won’t run there.

Oh, and yes, cleaning does count as a workout!

Off with a bang indeed Gretchen, a triple! Awesome!

Day 7 of sick Nat, getting a little better it seems but not there yet. Trying to stay “active” by going on a walk everyday and do some light stretching afterwards.

Yes, it was my fault we lost but what can I do, even the best players don’t play when they’re sick. I was aware that my replacement was not as good as me but that’s all we had. He did his best.

2024-01-09 7:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog What sort of 'Activators' are you doing for your hip flexors? I'm also accepting I"m not 25 any more and need to do more of that kind of stuff...

I do a series of hip strengthening exercises I learned on a Pilates workout tape (LOL) about 20 years ago, only I just do a shortened version of it.  You like on your side with your legs stacked and do 5-10 lifts, circles, and kicks on each leg, then get on all fours and do some donkey kicks and fire hydrants.

For years I've been doing those, but AFTER workouts as strength/core work vs. as a run warmup. 

2024-01-09 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@ Gretchen. Starting the plan with a triple? Well I suppose that is starting how you aim to continue. Especially all 3 in a row. I would be tempted to swim/strength in the morning and run in the evening. Nice job starting strong.

@Nat. Sorry to hear Sick Nat is still around. Nice work on trying to keep active anyway.

@Mike. Thanks for that. Hopefully moving the dynamic stretching to the pre run will work for you.

2024-01-09 2:15 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Definitely agree! I just don't get the blue dot on my Peloton lol
All good, overall I'm still really happy I did it!
2024-01-09 2:17 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by nicole14e

A peloton ride every day challenge could easily change to 31 rides in 31 days for the month

That would definitely work! Unfortunately I'm not riding every day. I'm doing a combo of rides, strength and yoga. Missing one day isn't so big of a deal though, especially since I was moving and grooving cleaning out my basement!
2024-01-09 2:24 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
We definitely all need to stretch more before workouts. I've always been horrible at that. In college they made us do dynamic stretching before and I need to get back into that. Mike, really glad you felt a difference doing those before!

Nat, feel better soon! It's good you are taking some time to rest and recover. I know it's tough, but will be good for your recovery!

In terms of running, my legs never really get too warm so I will always wear tights on a cold day. It's my upper body, specifically gloves or a hat, that I sometimes regret if I get too hot and need to take off layers. Then I'm stuck carrying them.

Gretchen, great start to the training! And sabbatical sounds amazing, and will definitely help with all the training you have in your future!
2024-01-09 2:31 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Last message of the day, I swear!

Because of the juice cleanse, I've been trying not to over-exert myself, so the last two mornings I did:
Monday: 20 min upper body strength, 10 minute core, 10 minute yoga (hip focus)
Tuesday: 20 min glutes & legs, 10 minute core, 20 minute yoga (for riders, so hip/leg/glute focus)

Overall feeling good! Excited to eat something salty tomorrow, though this juice cleanse felt easier than the last time I did it, I think because I was in the office and busy so distracted from any hunger pangs. I'm supposed to go to trivia tonight though and the place I go has THE BEST fries and there's always extras floating around the table...the self-restraint is going to be TOUGH
2024-01-09 2:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So, I've done a few things over the last few days.

First up, last night I decided to take advantage of my recent low volume training and the fresh legs that come with that and did a ramp test on zwift. Long story short, my FTP has increased 14W to 248. I know that isn't anything spectacular, but it's the highest I've ever got, so I'm happy. It's also nice to see that all of 2023's work on zwift did have a measurable effect

Second up, I've decided on my 'A' races for the year, and am pretty close to locking in my program.

Looks like I'm going to be a runner again.

First up I'll be doing the Waterfront half marathon, April 7th. Monday I'm starting a 12 week training plan (well the last 12 weeks of a 15 week plan technically).
Next, will be Wellington Half Marathon, June 23.
Finally Auckland Marathon November 3rd. (which will be my first marathon not preceded by 180km on the bike)

A week or 2 recovery after that, and then into a 16 week Ironman specific build for Ironman NZ 2025 (date TBC, will be either 1st or 8th March 2025)

There are also the 'Peoples Tri' sprint races (2 left this summer and another 2 at the end of the year) and some Thursday night OWS races I'll do some of them for fun, but not peaking for or planning around.

Training plan. I'm inspired by the machine and will be making a franken plan.

For now I'm basing everything around the 80:20 level 2 half marathon plan. I'll be adding 2 swims and 3 rides a week to that, those workouts won't some from a specific plan but will be inspired by the base phase of 70.3 training.
I'll repeat the process for the 2nd half marathon.
And at the end of the year, I'll be 100% following Gretchen and doing an 80:20 Ironman plan, but with a Marathon plan replacing the runs for the first half of the plan. Details to be determined, but that's what's in my head.

Last thing I've done. I've also been inspired by all this talk about where people track things, and signed up for training peaks. Any new system will take some getting used to, but first impressions are good. Do you guys pay for premium, or is the free version enough? I love my data so this looks like it could be a huge time sink for me.

2024-01-09 3:18 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

So, I've done a few things over the last few days.

First up, last night I decided to take advantage of my recent low volume training and the fresh legs that come with that and did a ramp test on zwift. Long story short, my FTP has increased 14W to 248. I know that isn't anything spectacular, but it's the highest I've ever got, so I'm happy. It's also nice to see that all of 2023's work on zwift did have a measurable effect

Second up, I've decided on my 'A' races for the year, and am pretty close to locking in my program.

Looks like I'm going to be a runner again.

First up I'll be doing the Waterfront half marathon, April 7th. Monday I'm starting a 12 week training plan (well the last 12 weeks of a 15 week plan technically).
Next, will be Wellington Half Marathon, June 23.
Finally Auckland Marathon November 3rd. (which will be my first marathon not preceded by 180km on the bike)

A week or 2 recovery after that, and then into a 16 week Ironman specific build for Ironman NZ 2025 (date TBC, will be either 1st or 8th March 2025)

There are also the 'Peoples Tri' sprint races (2 left this summer and another 2 at the end of the year) and some Thursday night OWS races I'll do some of them for fun, but not peaking for or planning around.

Training plan. I'm inspired by the machine and will be making a franken plan.

For now I'm basing everything around the 80:20 level 2 half marathon plan. I'll be adding 2 swims and 3 rides a week to that, those workouts won't some from a specific plan but will be inspired by the base phase of 70.3 training.
I'll repeat the process for the 2nd half marathon.
And at the end of the year, I'll be 100% following Gretchen and doing an 80:20 Ironman plan, but with a Marathon plan replacing the runs for the first half of the plan. Details to be determined, but that's what's in my head.

Last thing I've done. I've also been inspired by all this talk about where people track things, and signed up for training peaks. Any new system will take some getting used to, but first impressions are good. Do you guys pay for premium, or is the free version enough? I love my data so this looks like it could be a huge time sink for me.

Sounds like a great plan, Andrew! I wish I could sit myself down and decide on some races (other than MiTi and Worlds in August). The tri calendar looks really empty right now!

I pay for premium TP because I'm a data junkie, although I don't do much with it, I just like to look at it. There is one specific feature I like that isn't included with the free version that I really like, but I can't remember what it is! I can only remember that I have to pay for it to get the features I like.
2024-01-09 3:20 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

@ Gretchen. Starting the plan with a triple? Well I suppose that is starting how you aim to continue. Especially all 3 in a row. I would be tempted to swim/strength in the morning and run in the evening. Nice job starting strong.

Ahhh...yes...the wise and moderate would split up three workouts...but I am neither! :P. Actually, it was more of a timing thing for me. I had stuff to do in the afternoon and couldn't do the run then and frankly, there is no way in he!! I'm going to do an evening workout. I turn into a toad at about 3pm an if I haven't started a workout before about 4:50/5, it just isn't getting done. I hate filling my evenings with training.
2024-01-09 3:23 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Easy brick today of 60' ride and 30' run. I did the ride on a spin bike at the gym because 1.) I don't currently have my trainer set up and 2.) it is raining and cold with 92kcph (35mph) wind gusts today. Even on a perfect spring day, I don't want to be riding in that wind. It blew my truck into the next lane when I was driving home from the gym.

Nat--how are you feeling? Any better?
2024-01-09 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

"Peaking in Early January Mike" continues with a good treadmill run this morning...7 x 1' @ 7:30 pace with 1' walk and 2' jog RBI.  Run form is really coming together which was the point of this 12-week block.  Would love a 5K race to test but we're in dead of winter here (though 55* and damn near tropical storm winds tonight) so nothing on the calendar for a while.  The local run race scene has really dried up around here in the off-season - there used to be races pretty much every other weekend even in Jan/Feb but not much right now. 

2024-01-10 2:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great Franken-plan Andrew and I like how you have races planned for the whole year, and even next!

Gretchen, well, of course you turn into a toad at 3pm if you’ve been up since 3am or something.

Nicole, the juice clean you do sounds like a great way to kick off the year, I know I asked you about it last year but can you tell us more about it? Good luck resisting the fries!

Mike, re the 5k, I know I mentioned park runs earlier but can’t remember if you had one near you, could be a good way to test your form
https://www.parkrun.com/

Sick Nat is overstaying her welcome, but at least she’s being reasonable about food.

2024-01-10 6:54 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  Mike, re the 5k, I know I mentioned park runs earlier but can’t remember if you had one near you, could be a good way to test your form https://www.parkrun.com/

Good call, Nathalie.  There are two within a reasonable driving distance of here so I'll try to get one in during a recovery week.

2024-01-10 7:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--so jealous of your park run situation...two!?!?! The closet one to me is 4 hours away.

Having a reminder of why I don't like to go out at night today. Last night I took my wife to see a show at the theater in the next town over (Drumline Live!). We didn't get home until the obnoxious hour of 9:30 and I'm paying for it this morning! Tired...and tired after seeing a show that, frankly, wasn't all that good. Anyway, that's my night outing for 2024 done and dusted. :D

Up this morning for 3000c with the Master's team. Kicked my butt, but I feel like my form is coming back a bit. It is just my third swim in the last three months, so I need to be a bit more patient. Later today will be another 60'/30' brick, but first I have to set up my bike on the trainer. No way do I want to do another hour on the spin bike at the gym--too uncomfortable! Plus, it isn't raining here today, so outside running!
2024-01-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Having a reminder of why I don't like to go out at night today. Last night I took my wife to see a show at the theater in the next town over (Drumline Live!). We didn't get home until the obnoxious hour of 9:30 and I'm paying for it this morning! Tired...and tired after seeing a show that, frankly, wasn't all that good. Anyway, that's my night outing for 2024 done and dusted. :D

Sure, if you get up at stupid O’clock, 9:30pm will feel really late. Sorry the show wasn’t worth staying up past your bed time

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-01-10 9:17 AM
2024-01-10 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Put my bike on the trainer today and my rear derailleur won’t move at all. It doesn’t even pretend like it is thinking about moving. Any thoughts, mechanically inclined folks?
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 124

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland