BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-08-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Haymarket, VA
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kaburns1214 So I've been bumming lately. My knees are really not healing well and they're just generally painful, plus I've developed an allerigic reaction to the adhesive in band aids and tegaderm. Not a happy camper.

You could rest and let them heal.  :P

I've only known her for the few months of this thread, but something tells me that's not even remotely an option.

2013-08-02 2:22 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Pro
CyFair
Originally posted by mleech77
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by kaburns1214 So I've been bumming lately. My knees are really not healing well and they're just generally painful, plus I've developed an allerigic reaction to the adhesive in band aids and tegaderm. Not a happy camper.

You could rest and let them heal.  :P

I've only known her for the few months of this thread, but something tells me that's not even remotely an option.

LOL

Oh I know. 

2013-08-02 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice little 10 K tomorrow. It is actually a pretty big one in terms of participants. Kelly was going to do it until her knees had another date with the pavement (rest up Kelly). Joan Benoit Samuelson has put it on for years and it is the same RD as the Boston Marathon. The scenery is quite pretty...along the coast here in Maine. I have done it for several years in a row and the last few miles are kind of tough. It will be interesting to see how I do given that I have been training consistently for a while now.
2013-08-02 8:56 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Hey everyone! Just checking in! Workouts were better this week and a good thing since I have my last tri of my season tomorrow. It is the Culpeper International distance that I finished with last year. Just hoping to do better than I did then. Good luck to anyone racing this weekend!! Kelly hope you can heal up quickly!
2013-08-03 5:07 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck, Chris & Larkin!!! I'm racing tomorrow morning as well - Cleveland olympic. My goal is to remain upright and beat last year's time (which wasn't my best on an extremely difficult course).
2013-08-03 5:15 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Good luck to you too Jen!! Have fun!!

2013-08-03 6:25 AM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Haymarket, VA
Good luck Jen, Larkin, and Chris.  I have a mini sprint tomorrow, 400m pool, 8 mi bike, 2 mi run.
2013-08-03 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck to Jen, Larkin, Chris, and Matt! I am part of a relay team tomorrow doing the bike portion! I've never done a relay before - doing it with two girls from work! Should be fun!
2013-08-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Expert
Good luck everybody. Jen I can't believe you're racing this close to IMMT.
2013-08-03 9:36 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by everlong

Fingers crossed no injuries or problems!
2013-08-03 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck, Matt & Michele! A relay sounds so fun! I've always wanted to do one (swim leg).

I made a list of stuff to pack for IMMT and it's so long. Frightening.

2013-08-03 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jarvy01

Originally posted by everlong

Fingers crossed no injuries or problems!

Either that or get your flat out of the way now!!!!
2013-08-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Pro
CyFair

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!

Almost 50 on the bike this morning.  Felt stronger as the ride went on so that's always a good thing.  35 minute T-run after. 

Going to simplify my diet.  Lots of chicken breast, brown rice, and broccoli or asparagus.  I really need to lose 10ish lbs around my midsection.

2013-08-03 2:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Good luck to everyone racing! Be careful out there, Jen!

I finally booked my room for Florida. I had waited too long and the hotels I wanted sold out, so I've been checking in periodically for cancellations. Finally got the timing right. Spending the weekend at the lake, so I'll get in a couple of ows along with my runs.

2013-08-04 11:07 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Haymarket, VA

All kinds of congestion in the pool this morning.  Since this is the Tri It Now series and is meant to introduce people to the sport I'm thinking it's just a bunch of people who don't understand swim seeding, or just are randomly guessing, because I was having to breast stroke numerous lengths since people were 2-3 wide in front of me.  I need to get more aggressive when it comes to this.  There were a few people that would shoot gaps between people I wouldn't have considered doing.  

Bike felt good, passed a lot of people.  It was a two loop course, so unlike last time on this course where it was one loop I was able to get into a better rhythm.  Getting off the seat and putting power to the pedals at turn arounds, and pedaling through turns where I could.

No knee pains this time during the run and I pushed myself a bit faster than usual.  I did have some slight cramping a couple times, but slowed down a bit and breathed my way through them.

My wife and two good friends of mine came out to cheer me on.  We all stuck around after I finished and cheered on people as they were nearing the finish line.  It was great to be able to help motivate people for the final sprint to the finish line.  My one buddy showed no favorites when cheering on close competitors.  As the people come towards him he's cheering on the leader with "hurry up, you got one closing in on you", and as soon as the leader goes by he switches to "you're gonna catch em, c'mon you can do it, pass em!".  We had several people come up to us afterward and thanks us for the support.  Felt very good.

2013-08-05 7:10 AM

User image

Regular

Looking forward to reading everyone's race reports from yesterday.  

Today's a rest day after a big ride yesterday.  Had planned to do a brick, but forgot to bring my shoes along to the ride start - oops!  Then in the middle of my ride, I unknowingly rode onto the bike course of a local triathlon that was going on.  I suddenly started seeing all these people with numbers written on their legs.  Turns out it is a small event - the Ft. Ritchie Triathlon - but it looks like fun.  I was sorry I didn't know about it sooner.  Yesterday would've been a perfect day to race here.  

2013-08-05 8:27 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Veteran
Scott - I can empathize with your real estate plight. I moved in with my S.O several years ago and have rented my condo to a couple of friends from time to time but finally put it on the market a year ago. Still on the market and have, in essence, 2 mortgages going. Sucks.

Matt - Nice to hear that you had a good experience with your tri. The swim portion sounds frustrating though. Congratulations.

I did 45:42 for my 10K for a PR. Was really happy with the effort and how strong I felt throughout the race, especially the last portions which are uphill. I was really happy also because it is a big home town race. The tribute they gave to the Boston marathon survivors and victims was moving and the whole atmosphere from the 7thousand racers to the spectators to the scenery was awesome. It was also cool to shake hands with Joan Benoit Samuelson when I crossed the finish.

I guess training works.
2013-08-05 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Whoa.  Gonna be one of those days.  Got to the pool to notice I forgot my clothes.  Had to drop into Walmart to grab some jeans and luckily I had a backup shirt in the car.  60ish minutes in the pool and 60 on the trainer.  Good way to start the week. 

2013-08-05 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Looking forward to reading everyone's race reports from yesterday.  

Today's a rest day after a big ride yesterday.  Had planned to do a brick, but forgot to bring my shoes along to the ride start - oops!  Then in the middle of my ride, I unknowingly rode onto the bike course of a local triathlon that was going on.  I suddenly started seeing all these people with numbers written on their legs.  Turns out it is a small event - the Ft. Ritchie Triathlon - but it looks like fun.  I was sorry I didn't know about it sooner.  Yesterday would've been a perfect day to race here.  

That is funny. I instantly flashed to scenes from the Naked Gun and Chevy Chase flicks where Leslie Neilson and Chevy Chase got themselves into unwittingly funny situations.
2013-08-05 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mleech77

All kinds of congestion in the pool this morning.  Since this is the Tri It Now series and is meant to introduce people to the sport I'm thinking it's just a bunch of people who don't understand swim seeding, or just are randomly guessing, because I was having to breast stroke numerous lengths since people were 2-3 wide in front of me.  I need to get more aggressive when it comes to this.  There were a few people that would shoot gaps between people I wouldn't have considered doing.  

Bike felt good, passed a lot of people.  It was a two loop course, so unlike last time on this course where it was one loop I was able to get into a better rhythm.  Getting off the seat and putting power to the pedals at turn arounds, and pedaling through turns where I could.

No knee pains this time during the run and I pushed myself a bit faster than usual.  I did have some slight cramping a couple times, but slowed down a bit and breathed my way through them.

My wife and two good friends of mine came out to cheer me on.  We all stuck around after I finished and cheered on people as they were nearing the finish line.  It was great to be able to help motivate people for the final sprint to the finish line.  My one buddy showed no favorites when cheering on close competitors.  As the people come towards him he's cheering on the leader with "hurry up, you got one closing in on you", and as soon as the leader goes by he switches to "you're gonna catch em, c'mon you can do it, pass em!".  We had several people come up to us afterward and thanks us for the support.  Felt very good.

Congratulations!!!!
2013-08-05 3:38 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ccmpsyd

Scott - I can empathize with your real estate plight. I moved in with my S.O several years ago and have rented my condo to a couple of friends from time to time but finally put it on the market a year ago. Still on the market and have, in essence, 2 mortgages going. Sucks.

Matt - Nice to hear that you had a good experience with your tri. The swim portion sounds frustrating though. Congratulations.

I did 45:42 for my 10K for a PR. Was really happy with the effort and how strong I felt throughout the race, especially the last portions which are uphill. I was really happy also because it is a big home town race. The tribute they gave to the Boston marathon survivors and victims was moving and the whole atmosphere from the 7thousand racers to the spectators to the scenery was awesome. It was also cool to shake hands with Joan Benoit Samuelson when I crossed the finish.

I guess training works.

Dude! That is a smashing time for the 10k! Yes, training does work Looks like you're all set for your HIM. Excited for you!

2013-08-05 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Set a PR at my olympic tri yesterday with a 2:33. Swim was cut short bc the RD didn't alert the coast guard and ships were cutting the oly course (WTH!!!! epic fail), and the run course was long by 1/2 mile per my Garmin.....exactly what I don't want out of a triathlon Anyway, I feel like I earned my time with the course changes. I beat last year's bike time on this same course by 10 minutes and felt fresh off the bike.

If I could learn to run, I'd actually be a decent triathlete. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses, and my weakness is the run. I was right behind the women's OA winner until the run, and then she rocked it.
2013-08-05 4:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Set a PR at my olympic tri yesterday with a 2:33. Swim was cut short bc the RD didn't alert the coast guard and ships were cutting the oly course (WTH!!!! epic fail), and the run course was long by 1/2 mile per my Garmin.....exactly what I don't want out of a triathlon Anyway, I feel like I earned my time with the course changes. I beat last year's bike time on this same course by 10 minutes and felt fresh off the bike.

If I could learn to run, I'd actually be a decent triathlete. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses, and my weakness is the run. I was right behind the women's OA winner until the run, and then she rocked it.

Nice PR, Jen!! Congrats!
2013-08-05 4:47 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by jarvy01 Set a PR at my olympic tri yesterday with a 2:33. Swim was cut short bc the RD didn't alert the coast guard and ships were cutting the oly course (WTH!!!! epic fail), and the run course was long by 1/2 mile per my Garmin.....exactly what I don't want out of a triathlon Anyway, I feel like I earned my time with the course changes. I beat last year's bike time on this same course by 10 minutes and felt fresh off the bike. If I could learn to run, I'd actually be a decent triathlete. We all have our strengths and our weaknesses, and my weakness is the run. I was right behind the women's OA winner until the run, and then she rocked it.

Way to go!  That must have been pretty nerve racking for those that were still on the swim when ships started cutting through it.

2013-08-05 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by ccmpsyd

I guess training works.

Dude! That is a smashing time for the 10k! Yes, training does work Looks like you're all set for your HIM. Excited for you!

Will you swim for me...?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86