Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-01-23 4:28 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
All this talk about sickness, it was bound to happen...

Miss 3 brought home a nasty little gastro bug from kindy and was sick over the weekend, Monday it was Mr 6s turn.

Unfortunately, Tuesday was my go. Not fun. Without sharing too many nasty details, my run every day in January plan has come to a crashing halt. 22 days running, day 23 was split between the bed and bathroom.

The good news is it seems to be only a 24 hour thing. Feeling ok today. I will have a 2nd day off to make sure I'm recovered but am expecting to be back on plan by the end of the week.

2024-01-24 12:55 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Sorry to hear you’ve been sick Andrew but glad it’ already over, these thing usually are quick.

Feeling good again today but this time, I am not resting more before I start training again (it didn’t do any good). So run intervals tonight with my club. I will take it easy but I am going there!
Tomorrow: spin class

Happy Wednesday!
2024-01-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!

Andrew, so sorry to hear that bug is going through the house. Hopefully it stops with you! That would probably be especially hard on Mrs. B as she recovers from surgery.

Nathalie, I agree, I think there is a point to rest, and then a point when working out can get your body some needed energy to fight whatever it is you are fighting. Hope it helped!

I overslept this morning so did not work out so am going to try to go on a walk through the hospital over lunch, and maybe some yoga in my office.
2024-01-24 9:08 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  All this sickness!!!  For mine I think I've turned the corner on my respiratory infection a couple of days into antibiotics, so I'm going to do a light bike and core/yoga workout before I go nuts.  First day I've remotely felt like exercising in over a week, so that's progress. 

I start a bike-focused six-week block on Monday so will do a little prep work the rest of the week (as in remembering where the bike is) and a couple of Bikram sessions in the hot room to kill off this thing. 

Go Ravens!!! 

2024-01-24 11:19 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

so I'm going to do a light bike and core/yoga workout before I go nuts. 

Well that went about as expected - bleh. 

2024-01-24 2:17 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
200 days until the National Championships for Ultra distance!!!

I'm celebrating with a longer than HIM swim, Oly run, and longer than Sprint bike...

Someone give me a good shake, because my 10K run was scheduled to be at 5K race pace...wut? Okay, to be fair it was only 6x1km at 5k race pace, but still...that is more than 5k at race pace!! I guess it will do me some good, but I didn't like it at all! Swim was good. Bike will be later this evening while I sit on the USTA Team USA first timer's town hall meeting. I'm hoping for some actual useful information, not the random unimportant stuff I've heard at the other two town halls I've been too.

Feel better everyone who is sick! Nicole--you and I have to stay strong! We're the last two standing, as far as I can tell!

2024-01-25 12:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
So your 10k run was a 6k run?

Run intervals last night, first training since January 3rd! Short/fast intervals were on the menu. I went for short/slow intervals with the slower peeps.
One of the things I love about this group is that there is always a section of slower runners (for whatever reasons, beginners, older people, coming back from injury/sickness or simply slow for no particular reason, everyone is welcome)

Feels great to finally move and kick Fat Nat out to start working on 2024 Nat. Spin class tonight, yeah!
2024-01-25 8:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

so I'm going to do a light bike and core/yoga workout before I go nuts. 

Well that went about as expected - bleh. 

Uh oh! At least you got that first one after being sick out of the way though! It's usually a shock to the body.
2024-01-25 8:44 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm celebrating with a longer than HIM swim, Oly run, and longer than Sprint bike...

Someone give me a good shake, because my 10K run was scheduled to be at 5K race pace...wut? Okay, to be fair it was only 6x1km at 5k race pace, but still...that is more than 5k at race pace!! I guess it will do me some good, but I didn't like it at all! Swim was good. Bike will be later this evening while I sit on the USTA Team USA first timer's town hall meeting. I'm hoping for some actual useful information, not the random unimportant stuff I've heard at the other two town halls I've been too.

Feel better everyone who is sick! Nicole--you and I have to stay strong! We're the last two standing, as far as I can tell!

So true! I was a little under the weather a couple weeks ago but luckily it cleared my system pretty quickly. We got this, Gretchen!
2024-01-25 8:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Yesterday got out of control, but I'm back on track today. Woke up and got in a 30 minute ride and was able to (mostly) get ready before a 7am 2 hour training class. So needed, as I have indulged way too much this week. 2 more days until Vacation though...that's what I keep reminding myself.
2024-01-25 9:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

So your 10k run was a 6k run?

6x1km at 5K pace, plus warmup, cool down, and rest intervals (100m)

2024-01-25 9:41 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

So true! I was a little under the weather a couple weeks ago but luckily it cleared my system pretty quickly. We got this, Gretchen!

and I wake up this morning with a nose that won't stop running!
2024-01-25 9:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Anyone wanna know what happens when your robotic vacuum drives itself right under your rear wheel on the trainer while you're riding?

Yeah...this morning's bike interval ride did not go exactly as planned. I was fortunately finished with the intervals and just cruising in Z2 when our robotic vacuum decided to drive itself under the dang tire and get stuck. I hadn't noticed it (had headphones in, it was kinda dark still) and it literally stopped my wheel on a dime. The change in pedaling resistance threw me off balance and for the second time ever I fell off my bike while it was on the trainer. WTAF? Somehow I lost in the battle between the robot vacuum (Rosie) and Trixie the tri bike. I wasn't even in it! Needless to say...my wife is not very happy with me. The vacuum is a little worse for wear, with some new tire marks and a groove in the casing where it interacted with the tire. It still works fine, just ugly now.

Good times at my house this morning. At least I didn't fall on the dog or anything. About two minutes before this all happened the dog was there trying to lick the sweat off my legs while I was peddling. She'd moved on before this happened--I'd really be in the doghouse if she'd have gotten hurt in the whole deal.

Later today will be a 40' foundation run and some strength training.
2024-01-25 12:02 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

and I wake up this morning with a nose that won't stop running!

Noooooooooo!!!!!
2024-01-25 12:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Anyone wanna know what happens when your robotic vacuum drives itself right under your rear wheel on the trainer while you're riding?

Yeah...this morning's bike interval ride did not go exactly as planned. I was fortunately finished with the intervals and just cruising in Z2 when our robotic vacuum decided to drive itself under the dang tire and get stuck. I hadn't noticed it (had headphones in, it was kinda dark still) and it literally stopped my wheel on a dime. The change in pedaling resistance threw me off balance and for the second time ever I fell off my bike while it was on the trainer. WTAF? Somehow I lost in the battle between the robot vacuum (Rosie) and Trixie the tri bike. I wasn't even in it! Needless to say...my wife is not very happy with me. The vacuum is a little worse for wear, with some new tire marks and a groove in the casing where it interacted with the tire. It still works fine, just ugly now.

Good times at my house this morning. At least I didn't fall on the dog or anything. About two minutes before this all happened the dog was there trying to lick the sweat off my legs while I was peddling. She'd moved on before this happened--I'd really be in the doghouse if she'd have gotten hurt in the whole deal.

Later today will be a 40' foundation run and some strength training.

Oh my gosh!!!! I'm glad you're okay (and only b/c you said you are okay did this story make me lol).
2024-01-25 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone wanna know what happens when your robotic vacuum drives itself right under your rear wheel on the trainer while you're riding? Yeah...this morning's bike interval ride did not go exactly as planned. I was fortunately finished with the intervals and just cruising in Z2 when our robotic vacuum decided to drive itself under the dang tire and get stuck. I hadn't noticed it (had headphones in, it was kinda dark still) and it literally stopped my wheel on a dime. The change in pedaling resistance threw me off balance and for the second time ever I fell off my bike while it was on the trainer. WTAF? Somehow I lost in the battle between the robot vacuum (Rosie) and Trixie the tri bike. I wasn't even in it! Needless to say...my wife is not very happy with me. The vacuum is a little worse for wear, with some new tire marks and a groove in the casing where it interacted with the tire. It still works fine, just ugly now. Good times at my house this morning. At least I didn't fall on the dog or anything. About two minutes before this all happened the dog was there trying to lick the sweat off my legs while I was peddling. She'd moved on before this happened--I'd really be in the doghouse if she'd have gotten hurt in the whole deal. Later today will be a 40' foundation run and some strength training.
Oh my gosh!!!! I'm glad you're okay (and only b/c you said you are okay did this story make me lol).

The Adventures of Gretchen The Triathlete

Just too funny - glad no one or nothing was hurt.  Robotic vacuums are evil.

And wait...you still have a tire-friction trainer?  Not a smart trainer??!! 

2024-01-25 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Feeling like 1000% better today so put at least a middling effort into a short workout today with 20 minute bike, 20 minute run, and some ab work.  I'll see if I can make my way to the pool tomorrow. 

Normally when I come out of a bout of illness and recover I have some great training in me, so hoping that's the case as next week ramps up cycling significantly.

2024-01-25 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl So your 10k run was a 6k run?
6x1km at 5K pace, plus warmup, cool down, and rest intervals (100m)

Those rest intervals are REALLY short for 5k effort intervals (which is basically VO2 max).  I'd be toast after that.

2024-01-25 3:30 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

p>The Adventures of Gretchen The Triathlete

1.) robotic vacuums are AMAZING!! This one even mops the floor!!

2.) yes, I still have a tire friction trainer. I have a hard time swallowing the price of a direct drive. Last year in Egypt I used a magnetic trainer, so compared to that, tire friction feels like a luxury!
2024-01-25 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm happy to report that my nose did actually stop running today!!

Also...my first bit of TeamUSA gear arrived for worlds today!!

Edit: how do you get it to show the picture instead of just putting the link in?

Edited by drfoodlove 2024-01-25 3:36 PM

Attachments
----------------
IMG_6784.jpeg (3015KB - 9 downloads)
2024-01-25 7:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

p>The Adventures of Gretchen The Triathlete

1.) robotic vacuums are AMAZING!! This one even mops the floor!!

2.) yes, I still have a tire friction trainer. I have a hard time swallowing the price of a direct drive. Last year in Egypt I used a magnetic trainer, so compared to that, tire friction feels like a luxury!

The amount of time you spend on a bike a direct drive smart trainer would be such a good investment for you. Yes its more than a wheel on, but so much quieter, nicer to ride, more control for hitting intervals etc. And no chance of killing vacuum robots

Go on, you deserve it

Edited by bulfrog 2024-01-25 7:05 PM

2024-01-25 7:23 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike, Glad you're back to feeling 100% Good timing with the bike build about to start. Did you have any luck finding a 5k fitness test/race?

@Nat. Also nice to see you're getting back into training mode. Hope the intervals and spin class were stunning successes.

@Nicole, Don't stress about days getting out of control. It happens. Just worry about making the next one better than the last. Which sounds like what you're doing. Good work.

@Gretchen. I got to agree with mike, 6x1km@5k pace with 100m rest intervals sounds like a very hard workout. Got to make those 100m rests a very slooooow walk. Thanks for the feedback, Mrs BF also had a sleeve, so we're in the same boat you were. Currently counting down the days of liquid only diet remaining. It's a hard few weeks for her.

Me, officially over my bout of gastro. Ran 45min Z2 on the treadmill last night, and will be doing a descending interval session tonight. Never done one before, it's from the 80:20 half marathon plan, so I'd guess Gretchen has done similar in her marathon plan. Should be fun, although I doubt Mr Garmin will cope well with all the pace changes inside. I expect lots of 'out of pace zone' alerts.

Have a good weekend team.

And let's go whichever NFL team is playing against Taylor Swift.
2024-01-26 6:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad everyone is better now.

100 m rest interval can be a whole minute if you walk slowly (or half a day if you sit down), they should put it in time, not length.

run intervals and spin class went well. I took it easy but it was great to be back. This weekend is long ride and long run, so lowish intensity too. Next week, we're gonna get that heart rate up again.

I forgot which teams you all support in the NFL but I wish them all well.

My Lakers have regained their spot at the top of the table (first time since the end of last regular season) and I expect (hope) they will stay there until the playoffs.

2024-01-26 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl My Lakers have regained their spot at the top of the table (first time since the end of last regular season) and I expect (hope) they will stay there until the playoffs.

It must be fun rooting for a good hockey team.  My childhood team is the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and they've been irrelevant for like 15 years.  They're showing some signs of life this year but I'm not sold yet. 

Go Lakers!!!

2024-01-26 10:20 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl My Lakers have regained their spot at the top of the table (first time since the end of last regular season) and I expect (hope) they will stay there until the playoffs.

It must be fun rooting for a good hockey team.  My childhood team is the NHL's Philadelphia Flyers and they've been irrelevant for like 15 years.  They're showing some signs of life this year but I'm not sold yet. 

Go Lakers!!!

It's a lot of fun. They've won the play offs 4 times since 2015. I don't know what I would do if they start losing (when... nothing lasts forever). Would/will I stay interested very long?

We'll see

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-01-26 10:24 AM
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland