BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-08-08 4:23 PM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Thanks all for the positive vibes! Still feeling good here Took my bike to the shop today to have everything checked out. They replaced my rear tire because it was so badly damaged from the trainer. I put a lot of trainer miles on that tire. LOL Kept it because I may swap it out again and use it for winter riding. Everything else looked good.

Tomorrow is the last morning I have to drag myself to the pool at 4:45. I will be so happy to be done with that for a bit. I swim next Monday, but my husband is off for 2 weeks so I can go later in the day. I'll swim at MT too. No idea what the swim start is like. Shallow...dolphin dives or no. Do you know the answer to this, Kelly? I can't seem to find anything about it.

2013-08-08 6:27 PM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Originally posted by jarvy01

Thanks all for the positive vibes! Still feeling good here Took my bike to the shop today to have everything checked out. They replaced my rear tire because it was so badly damaged from the trainer. I put a lot of trainer miles on that tire. LOL Kept it because I may swap it out again and use it for winter riding. Everything else looked good.

Tomorrow is the last morning I have to drag myself to the pool at 4:45. I will be so happy to be done with that for a bit. I swim next Monday, but my husband is off for 2 weeks so I can go later in the day. I'll swim at MT too. No idea what the swim start is like. Shallow...dolphin dives or no. Do you know the answer to this, Kelly? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Thrilled for you! Good job planning all the kids stuff. Reminds me of some iron mom race report I read once where in the middle of the ironman a woman stopped to hug her her kids and then one of the kids asked her to get something/ do something for them right there in the middle of the race!!! made her laugh the rest of the race
2013-08-08 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
You are gonna have an awesome race! Make sure to get outside a couple times on that new tire.
2013-08-09 6:48 AM

User image

Expert

I have a different wheel and tire for the trainer and swap back and forth. It keeps my road tires which are top shelf fresh and I just buy the cheapest of the cheap for the trainer. I had a second set of wheels so the only cost was a second cassette.
2013-08-09 8:22 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by jarvy01 Thanks all for the positive vibes! Still feeling good here Took my bike to the shop today to have everything checked out. They replaced my rear tire because it was so badly damaged from the trainer. I put a lot of trainer miles on that tire. LOL Kept it because I may swap it out again and use it for winter riding. Everything else looked good. Tomorrow is the last morning I have to drag myself to the pool at 4:45. I will be so happy to be done with that for a bit. I swim next Monday, but my husband is off for 2 weeks so I can go later in the day. I'll swim at MT too. No idea what the swim start is like. Shallow...dolphin dives or no. Do you know the answer to this, Kelly? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Race reports from last year indicate a run/wade type of start.

2013-08-09 8:23 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
CyFair
50 minutes in the pool of short sets today and a 35 minute recovery run. 

2013-08-09 8:26 AM

User image

Regular
Knock 'em dead, Jen.  I know you're going to do great.  You're going to have plenty of details to think about and the various race-day issues to deal with, but don't forget to have fun with it.  Not many people can accomplish what you've accomplished... 
2013-08-09 9:32 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
2013-08-09 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by jarvy01 Thanks all for the positive vibes! Still feeling good here Took my bike to the shop today to have everything checked out. They replaced my rear tire because it was so badly damaged from the trainer. I put a lot of trainer miles on that tire. LOL Kept it because I may swap it out again and use it for winter riding. Everything else looked good. Tomorrow is the last morning I have to drag myself to the pool at 4:45. I will be so happy to be done with that for a bit. I swim next Monday, but my husband is off for 2 weeks so I can go later in the day. I'll swim at MT too. No idea what the swim start is like. Shallow...dolphin dives or no. Do you know the answer to this, Kelly? I can't seem to find anything about it.

I'm going to swim it so I'll know how long the shallow part runs.
2013-08-09 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

HILARIOUS thread in TT:   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

That's awesome. My husband tried to pull the sympathy card after he had his procedure done. I helped by handing him a bag of peas, but I mean...come on! Maybe it's because I delivered 4 babies in 5 years. I didn't need a 5th baby because of a little, old vasectomy!
2013-08-09 10:26 AM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Knock 'em dead, Jen.  I know you're going to do great.  You're going to have plenty of details to think about and the various race-day issues to deal with, but don't forget to have fun with it.  Not many people can accomplish what you've accomplished... 

Thank you! I have no worries about the race anymore. It's going to be a blast!!!!

2013-08-09 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

I'm going to swim it so I'll know how long the shallow part runs.

This would probably be a good use of the practice swim.  And you could find something to sight off of for the out portion of the swim.  I imagine you can sight off the Swim Exit on the way back in.

2013-08-09 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran

HILARIOUS thread in TT:   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Any coincidence about why you are reading that thread (so to speak)?

The funniest account I have ever read about that procedure was in the Best of Craigslist. It was someone's moment by moment account of the procedure and the sheer agony and horror he was experiencing. It was so funny I had tears streaming down my face for a while.

BTW..the Best of Craigslist has some seriously funny stuff in it if you are ever bored and need a good laugh.
2013-08-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: ccmpsyd

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by uhcoog HILARIOUS thread in TT:   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Any coincidence about why you are reading that thread (so to speak)? The funniest account I have ever read about that procedure was in the Best of Craigslist. It was someone's moment by moment account of the procedure and the sheer agony and horror he was experiencing. It was so funny I had tears streaming down my face for a while. BTW..the Best of Craigslist has some seriously funny stuff in it if you are ever bored and need a good laugh.

Nope.  All things are staying intact over here for the time being. 

2013-08-09 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Apparently fell off the edge of the earth there for a while.

I have much to catch up on and a race report to post (thanks for all the good wishes: I had a ball) and I will get to posting it, but I wanted to say good luck to Jen. Have FUN and go get 'em!
2013-08-09 6:57 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA

Originally posted by ccmpsyd
Originally posted by uhcoog HILARIOUS thread in TT:   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Any coincidence about why you are reading that thread (so to speak)? The funniest account I have ever read about that procedure was in the Best of Craigslist. It was someone's moment by moment account of the procedure and the sheer agony and horror he was experiencing. It was so funny I had tears streaming down my face for a while. BTW..the Best of Craigslist has some seriously funny stuff in it if you are ever bored and need a good laugh.

My favorite story around this topic is one of my good friend's story.  He was told to prep himself for the operation, but he cuts his face so much shaving he didn't trust himself down there with a razor.  He decided to try nair as an alternative.  Let's just say it didn't turn out well, and when he went in for his operation the next day they had to send him home due to the 3rd degree burns and open sores resulting from the nair.   The way he tells it though you can't help but laugh your butt off.

2013-08-10 8:20 AM
in reply to: mleech77

User image

Expert
2 hour ride and a 3 mile run this morning. Longest since Williamsburg nearly two months ago. I've already surpassed my July totals for all three disciplines 10 days into August. My fitness level sucks, LOL. Carrying extra weight from my time off doesn't help. Going up a steep hill this morning I felt every pound. Beautiful conditions. 68 at the start and 75 at the finish. Humid at the start but it seemed to burn off. Sunny and empty roads rock.
2013-08-10 8:31 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Regular
I feel your pain, Scott.  I was in the same position after coming back from vacation, and am only now starting to feel back to normal.  Did some core work and went for an interval run this morning, and felt good.  I'm hoping to do a brick workout tomorrow morning, but that may fall through, as I'm in the spousal doghouse for some as-yet-unknown reason.  Making nice is on the agenda for the rest of today...
2013-08-10 12:34 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Long run done! 1:40 Z1/Z2 run today. Now off to take the volleyball officials exam. Good side money for Christmas that has now become needed income.

First week of XC practice is done. They had 2 mile repeats for the middle group which my son decided to join since he was the lead in the third group. Now he is in the back of the second group but it is pushing him. He ran 12 mins for the first one and 15 for the second. Need to work on his pacing He is loving it. I think soccer may take a back burner.

Also we don't have the kids this week. They are in NC going to a pig pickin' and spending time with the in-laws. Mighty quiet around here, almost too quiet....
2013-08-10 7:40 PM
in reply to: kidtri33

User image

Veteran
4 hour ride, brick run, 2100 yds overunders in the pool today. Gotta get up at the crack of dawn to do a long run before Elsa and I head out for vacation...managed to squeeze in a birthday party for a 5 y/o today too. Am kinda pooped. Waking up at 430 on the first day of vacation...WTF
2013-08-10 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Days like today really scare me as I get closer to Florida. I did a four hour ride and bonked hard about three hours into it. It was all I could do to get back to my truck. I'm still dialing in nutrition, so it helps calm me a little that I now know some things that didn't work. But it still unnerves me that I struggled that badly at half the distance today. Once again, the doubts start creeping in. I'm hoping tomorrow's long run will reel me back in.

2013-08-12 7:46 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by tdl1972 Days like today really scare me as I get closer to Florida. I did a four hour ride and bonked hard about three hours into it. It was all I could do to get back to my truck. I'm still dialing in nutrition, so it helps calm me a little that I now know some things that didn't work. But it still unnerves me that I struggled that badly at half the distance today. Once again, the doubts start creeping in. I'm hoping tomorrow's long run will reel me back in.

What did you take in nutritionally on the ride and what was your meal preceding the ride?

2013-08-12 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Race week Jen!!!!
2013-08-12 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

Originally posted by tdl1972 Days like today really scare me as I get closer to Florida. I did a four hour ride and bonked hard about three hours into it. It was all I could do to get back to my truck. I'm still dialing in nutrition, so it helps calm me a little that I now know some things that didn't work. But it still unnerves me that I struggled that badly at half the distance today. Once again, the doubts start creeping in. I'm hoping tomorrow's long run will reel me back in.

What did you take in nutritionally on the ride and what was your meal preceding the ride?

About an hour before the ride I had a couple of ham sandwiches with bread, ham, cheese, mayo & lettuce, and water to drink. About 15 minutes before, I had a half cup of unsweetened applesauce.

During the ride I had an uncrustable at 1:15 and another uncrustable at about 2:45. I also drank 96oz of perform: one 24oz bottle each hour, but finished the last bottle at about 3:40.

I didn't take any gels or chews because they have been giving me a lot of gas and I wanted to see how the uncrustables would work.

I really feel like I am wandering around in the dark with my nutrition, so any help would be much appreciated!

2013-08-12 2:45 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Haymarket, VA

I finally found a place locally that does open water swim practice.  It's actually the "lake" (quarry) I do my local scuba diving training at.  It's $30 for each of their 3 hour sessions, but they have a season pass available that gives you 4 free days basically for the cost.  They do require a full sleeve wetsuit however, so now I'm on the market for one.  Given I know the conditions of the water at this quarry, and I don't have another OWS tri this year, I'm thinking of just getting a cheaper one for training, and come next year I'll buy a nicer one as it gets closer to my ows tris.  I found a relatively inexpensive one at clevertraining, but I'm not sure what to do about the size itself.  Dare2Tri Men's Full Sleeve Wetsuit

I'm 67.5" tall, and as I continue with my training I'm dropping below 145lbs (143.5 at my last weigh in), so the question is do I go for Small or Medium?

Small = 65-67", 138-163lbs

Medium = 66-70", 146-172lbs

Do I go for the small since it's the optimal weight range, and have it possibly be just right, maybe a little short on the length measurement, or do I go for the medium and have it possibly be a little big?  My big concern is that I know when my diving wetsuit is too tight and I exert myself it's not a good combo.  By definition I'll be exerting myself in this one so not sure if a lil big would not be a better option.

Thoughts?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86