BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Playmobil31's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2012-01-19 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3943068

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Subject: RE: Playmobil31's Group - CLOSED

Well I figured out how to get a small sized pic and add it to my profile and shaved 6 seconds off my 5K PB...albeit in the garage with the door open on the dread...

shrinkpictures.com worked great - super simple to use and super quick...

Cheers!

James

2012-01-19 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Todd - make sure you got a big fan handy and a towel....and something to break the monotony.  I love cycling but for some reason, I'm having a hard time with the trainer.  I mean it's better than the spin bikes at the gym as I'm on my own wheels but it seems real tedius at times.  I don't have DVD's setup yet and TV in the room I use is not hooked up to cable...maybe lack of video stimulation is the problem.

Oh, also, I thought your race event calendar looked great.  I wouldn't change anything.

Cheers!

James

2012-01-19 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Todd - make sure you got a big fan handy and a towel....and something to break the monotony.  I love cycling but for some reason, I'm having a hard time with the trainer.  I mean it's better than the spin bikes at the gym as I'm on my own wheels but it seems real tedius at times.  I don't have DVD's setup yet and TV in the room I use is not hooked up to cable...maybe lack of video stimulation is the problem.

Oh, also, I thought your race event calendar looked great.  I wouldn't change anything.

Cheers!

James

2012-01-20 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4000791

New user
Ireland

Just back from my Swim with the Tri Club 2,300m in the hour, glass of red now well earned!

Long Bike tomorrow and then depending on how I am feeling I may go for the 20K on Sunday - Will let you know how I get on.

How are you all getting on!

Melanie, Best of Luck for tomorrow with the TKD Black Belt!

I was talking about nutrition with a colleague at work today. He has been competing in Triathlons for 3 years and it is something I have not considered to date. Has anyone got any advice on what I should be looking at for the Sprint distance and what a Race Day prep diet should look like? Should I be trying the nutrition out in my training?

Cheers

David

2012-01-20 8:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

I prepared a fairly long email about nutrition but lost it...

I'll give you a lot of info this week end, but for now, it's go to bed.

Enjoy you're week end all and good luck for those who got a competition this week end

2012-01-20 11:32 PM

User image

Aurora , Illinois

Might be a dumb question, but i went to set the bike up on the trainer tonight and i didn't realize the rear wheel on my bike was not quick release.  Anyone know how to make it so i can use the bike on my shiny new trainer?

2012-01-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4002783

New user
Ireland

Long Bike completed, 24 miles into strong gusting winds most of the way round. Legs a little heavy now but will hopefully be fine for long run tomorrow.

Happy training everyone and have a great weekend!

Cheers

David

2012-01-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4002783

User image

Extreme Veteran
toddaduran - 2012-01-21 12:32 AM

Might be a dumb question, but i went to set the bike up on the trainer tonight and i didn't realize the rear wheel on my bike was not quick release.  Anyone know how to make it so i can use the bike on my shiny new trainer?

Todd, you need something like that:

http://www.trisports.com/tatrsk.html

It's called a trainer skewer and will allow you to put your bike on the trainer.

2012-01-22 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4003041

New user
Ireland

Week 3 goals completed! Long Run today, I was contemplating 13.1 miles and pace and stamina felt good for it. However, at 6.5 miles I felt a slight twinge in my left hip and so stopped at 7 miles to avoid any chance of injury.

Week 4 of my plan calls for reduced timings on each of the sessions and so I will line myself up to complete the January challenge I set for myself of running 20K (actually planning to do Half Marathon distance).

How are you all getting on?

Do we have a Black Belt in the Group?

Cheers

David

2012-01-22 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga

glad to see everyone is doing well with their trainning. I will update my log after the football game

2012-01-23 6:45 AM

New user

Met my goals last week.  I didn't bike as much as I wanted because of long hours at work, but my biking goals are lower than my biking want to since I'm still base building and my bike base is pretty solid especially compared to the other two sports.

This morning I finished my first 4 mile run since I injured my knees in August.  Everything felt great except my feet because of a blister I developed last week. 

How do you deal with blisters?  When I played baseball I always just popped them and they seemed to heal pretty well, but my wife (who has a physical therapy background) told me you're not supposed to, but when I finished running this morning it was bigger than when I started.  So I think I'm going to take care of it tonight.

2012-01-23 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4004446

User image

Pennsylvania
meadowsd - 2012-01-22 1:26 PM

Week 3 goals completed! Long Run today, I was contemplating 13.1 miles and pace and stamina felt good for it. However, at 6.5 miles I felt a slight twinge in my left hip and so stopped at 7 miles to avoid any chance of injury.

Week 4 of my plan calls for reduced timings on each of the sessions and so I will line myself up to complete the January challenge I set for myself of running 20K (actually planning to do Half Marathon distance).

How are you all getting on?

Do we have a Black Belt in the Group?

Cheers

David

Stopping when you felt pain was a very smart idea.  What a shame it happened on a day when you felt good!

Unfortunately my black belt test was postponed until February.  Our area had about 4-5 inches of snow late Friday night/ Saturday morning and other nearby areas had that mixed with sleet as well, so some of the judges (multiple degree black belts) and students from the other school that were going to test with us were unable to make the drive.  As disappointed as I was, I see this as an opportunity to become even stronger and more ready during the extra month I've been given.

Sunday I used TrainerRoad for the first time and I think I'm going to really like it.  I did the  workout called 20 minute FTP test (which is actually an hour total workout) and the time went by very quickly between doing the workout and watching the Caps game! 

Keep up the good work everyone!  I see a lot of motivated folks in our group!

Edited by melbo55 2012-01-23 9:47 AM
2012-01-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4005690

New user
Ireland

Melanie, sorry you got snowed off but like you say, you were ready this week so imagine what the extra time will do for you! Keep strong and focused you sound like you are in an excellent place to achieve your Black Belt goal.

Blisters.... I have always popped them too but I have heard you shouldn't. However, I have found that if I keep them clean after popping them and give them plenty of air to dry out and heal I don't have any problems.

Rest day for me today.

Medium Run tomorrow.

Cheers

David

2012-01-23 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Yep, stay positive Melanie, you'll be even more ready in a couple weeks.  I gotta get the video going for my indoor trainer rides as well.

Met all goals last week...finished with a 9 mile run on the treadmill yesterday.  Struggled a bit getting light headed around the 6/7 mile mark so think I need to get some gels or carry a sports drink on the longer runs.

This week is also low volume/recovery week for me.

Cheers!

James

2012-01-23 6:20 PM

User image

Aurora , Illinois

Not so good for training last week.  Worked way too many hours, and then went out with the neighborhood guys saturday night, so that but a big damper on my sunday morning run.  Need some serious motivation, so i registered for the Chicago Triathlon (Olympic).  Gotta get my but in gear now. 

Goals for this week..

Monday - 24 min swim   48 min bike

Tuesday - off

Wednesday - 32 min swim   24 min run

Thursday - 40 min swim

Friday - 80 min bike

Saturday - off

Sunday - 40 min run

Good luck to everyone else this week.

2012-01-24 5:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga

So yestarday's repeat work out. sucked for weather goes. it was 58degrees and pouring. I 1.75m warm up  3 x 800 meter sprints on 3:50 pace.  then another mile cool down.

stamina is starting to creep back into the picture. heading to disney world on wed.   but I have already set up a group ride for saturday monring. training schedule will be on hold so i expect to get in some LSD runs.

2012-01-24 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4007374

New user
Ireland

Medium run today so upped the pace and felt good, better still no twinge from my hip so stopping on Sunday long run was best thing.

Short Swim & Bike tomorrow.

All going well so far and we are in week 4 now! Time flies........

So, I am doing all my biking on the road on a mountain bike (complete with nobbie tyres) any ideas on what speed improvement I would get from a road bike? Also, any recommendations on brands? I have been told Felt, Cube, Trek.......

Happy training.

Cheers

David

2012-01-25 10:35 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

David - Yay, no more hip pain! Training smart (stopping the other day) seems to have paid off!

Personally, I think whichever bike feels the best to you is the best one to get!  Be sure to test ride various brands; some will feel better from the start than others and with the tweaking that comes from getting a proper bike fitting, you should be feeling even better.  Personally I have a Felt that has been very good to me. 

I won't throw out any MPH/KPH speed improvements, but there will definitely be some!  The road bike will not only have less rolling resistance with the tires but will also be much lighter (frame) than the MTB.

The rest of my week looks like TKD Wed and Fri (possibly weight training or running on dreadmill before class), bike trainer tomorrow and maybe Sunday (and/or a run - I really need to make myself get out there!), hockey game Saturday.  Haven't played since 2011, so hopefully I'm not too rusty!

2012-01-25 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4010206

New user
Ireland

Melanie, thank you very much for that, much appreciated. I intend to visit a couple of bike shops this weekend to get a look and check out size. I am 6'3.5" so am thinking 58-62cm frame size but need to check it out with the Pro's.

Short Bike & Swim today both went great bike particularly as it was windy and pouring with rain. As for the swim I decided to do 750m at a moderate(ish) pace as that is the Spint distance, completed in just under 17mins 30sec but could have put more into it. However, given it was my short swim and Friday is looking like a 3000m swim night with the Tri Club I felt OK with the effort I put in.

Cheers

David

2012-01-25 10:59 PM

User image

Aurora , Illinois

First ever trainer ride tonight. (why didn't you guys tell me to invest in like 35 fans).  never sweat so much in my life.  felt good though, but i'm definately off to the hardware store tomorrow to buy the biggest, most industrial size fan they have. (like one of the ones hot air balloonists use).  lol

Any, happy training everyone.

2012-01-26 7:47 AM

New user

Had an awesome day in the pool today.  Someone in the main board mentioned a 0 to 1650 training plan they found so I was using that to get up to swimming a mile without any breaks.  It started pretty slow so I skipped week 1 and today was the first way of week 4 (my week 3) which was scheduled for:

600 yards rest for to 10 breaths

300 yards rest for 8 breaths

4X100 yards rest for 4 breaths between each

4X50 yards rest for 4 breaths between each

So I started the 600 and as I was getting towards the end I realized that I felt really good and didn't need to stop so I decided to combine the 600 and 300 and stop at the end of that.  Then when I was finishing the now 900 yard set I still felt really good so I decided fo just do the 1650 yards to do a mile and I did it. 

I'm so excited today because I was really nervous about the swim (still kinda nervous because I use open turns so technically I stop for a second after each lap), but now I know that as long as I keep working at it I will be able to finish the ows for the oly I signed up for at the end of July.

Today was definitely a breakthrough day for me.

2012-01-26 7:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey all,

glad to see that everybody is still doing some amazing work here !

Sorry, I have been very busy those later days so I've not been very around here but managed to do do all my workouts so far except for 1 swim on saturday morning... Alarm went off, I shut it down and went back to sleep. The image of myself diving in a old water pool while being inside a warm bed turned me down...

I hope everybody is doing fine and I'll catch up a little bit later with the remaining questions (nutrition, bike, trainer's fan, etc. )

Cheers !

2012-01-26 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4011745

New user
Ireland
dvilliotti - 2012-01-26 1:47 PM

Had an awesome day in the pool today.  Someone in the main board mentioned a 0 to 1650 training plan they found so I was using that to get up to swimming a mile without any breaks.  It started pretty slow so I skipped week 1 and today was the first way of week 4 (my week 3) which was scheduled for:

600 yards rest for to 10 breaths

300 yards rest for 8 breaths

4X100 yards rest for 4 breaths between each

4X50 yards rest for 4 breaths between each

So I started the 600 and as I was getting towards the end I realized that I felt really good and didn't need to stop so I decided to combine the 600 and 300 and stop at the end of that.  Then when I was finishing the now 900 yard set I still felt really good so I decided fo just do the 1650 yards to do a mile and I did it. 

I'm so excited today because I was really nervous about the swim (still kinda nervous because I use open turns so technically I stop for a second after each lap), but now I know that as long as I keep working at it I will be able to finish the ows for the oly I signed up for at the end of July.

Today was definitely a breakthrough day for me.

Great job on the swimming that is excellent work, well done and be very proud of yourself!

Short Run for me today, just 17 mins so I decided to up the pace and managed 2 miles (8:30/mile). I felt great both while running and after and was delighted with the run.

All training still going great and really enjoying it. Big Swim tomorrow (1 hour with Tri Club) I think we are looking to get 3000m completed in the hour!

Happy training!

Cheers

David

2012-01-27 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4012578

New user
Ireland

Just back from swim with Tri Club, refuelling with Pasta and Red wine well deserved!

Warm Up:- 
6x100m (25m swim, 25m kick, 50m zip up
4 Sets (increase HR each set to max):- 
100m swim 
2x75m swim
3x50m swim
Cool Down:- 
4x75m (25m easy swim, 25m zip up, 25m stretch & glide)

Drills to increase lung capacity increasing tempo each set, wrecked again (in a good way).

Long Run tomorrow, all feeling well I am going for the 21K Goal I set at beginning of the month, fingers crossed!

Have a great weekend All!

Cheers

David 

2012-01-28 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4015138

New user
Ireland

YES! YES! YES!

January Goal of completing 20KM Achieved!

Just back from long run and completed 13.21 Miles (21.26KM)!

Felt good for stamina but legs heavy from 10 miles onwards but dug in and did it!

I feel great for completing it but don't think I will be going for a marathon this year (if ever).

How are you all getting on after your first months training!

Cheers

David

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Playmobil31's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11