BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2008-12-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1875897

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED

"You probably could right now.   If you had to choose, what do you think you need some help with?  Proper body position like balance, breathing, feet dropping?   I'll then send a couple youtube videos of a couple different drills that might help you out"

I guess mostly body position and breathing. Videos would be awesome!!

As a kid, I learned how to swim in the town lake. There were free swimming lessons offered every year. So my technique and knowledge of swimming is almost non existant.

Edited by slow turtle 2008-12-29 1:21 PM

2008-12-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1876118

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-29 1:19 PM

"You probably could right now.   If you had to choose, what do you think you need some help with?  Proper body position like balance, breathing, feet dropping?   I'll then send a couple youtube videos of a couple different drills that might help you out"

I guess mostly body position and breathing. Videos would be awesome!!

As a kid, I learned how to swim in the town lake. There were free swimming lessons offered every year. So my technique and knowledge of swimming is almost non existant.

Ok, here are two that one talks about some faults, and the other, the first one, while boring (and you can pretty much skip to about 4-5 minutes in) talk about head position and positioning.   But, its good to help you understand where your head and chest should be (line up

The shorter one, pay close attention to when he is talking about overreaching and crossing the body, and watch what it looks like when they do, and then when the example swimmer doesnt.  This is very important to get first.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25_Fd_mEqVs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SVfLvO5Z0M&feature=related

Check these two out, let me know if they are of help or already somehting you know, and then I'll send on a couple of drills

Edited by kellc09 2008-12-29 1:53 PM
2008-12-29 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1875552

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
matt_d - 2008-12-29 9:40 AM

I'm finally getting back into the groove after a horrible lapse Christmas week, not as much training combined with WAY too much eating has me feeling flabby and out of shape.  Got a run and swim in yesterday, and did some weight training this morning.  I'm planning to do what I can this week, but it's a busy one again with a trip to my Mom's this weekend.  The 2nd week of January I'm going to start my 1/2 marathon training, and continue to work hard on my swimming technique. 

Also, just found out my wife and I are expecting our first child in August!!  It's still early, but I'm excited (and nervous) beyond belief.  This does mean no triathlon in Naperville in August though

That is exciting news! Congratulations!

I have gone hardcore the past couple of days.  I feel tired.  Luckily I am off from work this whole week and can nap EVERYDAY!   Today I swam over an hour, lifted weights and ran 8 miles!  It is a wonder I am fat...GRRRR!  Actually, my kids and their father passed me driving while I was running on the main road and they had to call me to see if it was really me.  They had a debate going about it cuz the person running looked too tiny to be their mom...lol.

Kellie - I saw that you were the #1 female in the Blue Water Tri! How fantastic!

I had a question about fuel/nutrition.  I wake up early (usually 4:30am).  I either go lift weights and then I swim or run.  Or I just go straight to running or the pool.  What should I eat before I go (if anything)?  Today I had some green tea, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese.  I eat the oatmeal raw mixed in the cottage cheese w/ some raisins and splenda and cinnamon.  I definitely can't cook this early in the morning!   It is grab and go for me.

2008-12-29 5:31 PM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Expert

Kellie-

I watched the youtube swim videos-Thanks. I am pretty sure that my arms are not entering in the water at the right point of the stroke, and I might be crossing the midline of my body. I'm going to ask my husband to come to the pool wit hme one night this week to video tape a few of my laps. I think it'll help me to see what needs to change in my form.

2008-12-29 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Mattd, congrats'!  You make me feel old!  I am on the other end with a 22 and 19 year old!

Parenthood will change your life.  It is exciting, heart wrenching, and the returns are priceless!  Welcome to the fraternity!

2008-12-29 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1876330

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-29 3:23 PM

I'm finally getting back into the groove after a horrible lapse Christmas week, not as much training combined with WAY too much eating has me feeling flabby and out of shape.  Got a run and swim in yesterday, and did some weight training this morning.  I'm planning to do what I can this week, but it's a busy one again with a trip to my Mom's this weekend.  The 2nd week of January I'm going to start my 1/2 marathon training, and continue to work hard on my swimming technique. 

Also, just found out my wife and I are expecting our first child in August!!  It's still early, but I'm excited (and nervous) beyond belief.  This does mean no triathlon in Naperville in August though

I have gone hardcore the past couple of days.  I feel tired.  Luckily I am off from work this whole week and can nap EVERYDAY!   Today I swam over an hour, lifted weights and ran 8 miles!  It is a wonder I am fat...GRRRR!  Actually, my kids and their father passed me driving while I was running on the main road and they had to call me to see if it was really me.  They had a debate going about it cuz the person running looked too tiny to be their mom...lol.

Kellie - I saw that you were the #1 female in the Blue Water Tri! How fantastic!

I had a question about fuel/nutrition.  I wake up early (usually 4:30am).  I either go lift weights and then I swim or run.  Or I just go straight to running or the pool.  What should I eat before I go (if anything)?  Today I had some green tea, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese.  I eat the oatmeal raw mixed in the cottage cheese w/ some raisins and splenda and cinnamon.  I definitely can't cook this early in the morning!   It is grab and go for me.

oh thanks

As for nutrition..   that sounds like a good pre workout meal.   The main thing with a preworkout meal if you are working out early in the morning is that it is something that you can tolerate and it doesnt either come back to haunt you, or weigh you down.   If that works for you, that is a good meal then!   Sometimes I'll take a little snack to eat in between workouts if I do more than one in the morning.   My typical is PBJ or a bowl of cereal.   I cant do oatmeal or milk products like yogurt or cottage cheese especially before running.  So ive narrowed it to PBJ, english muffins, and cereal.  After my workout I do the oatmeal and protein thing.

2008-12-29 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1876528

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-29 5:31 PM

Kellie-

I watched the youtube swim videos-Thanks. I am pretty sure that my arms are not entering in the water at the right point of the stroke, and I might be crossing the midline of my body. I'm going to ask my husband to come to the pool wit hme one night this week to video tape a few of my laps. I think it'll help me to see what needs to change in my form.

Cool..   Im glad they gave you a starting point.  I would say focus on your body position, and your hand position/entry before doing much else, or it will be reinforcing bad habits.   If you can get a pull buoy, that may help in letting you focus on your stroke without the legs going to.   The best way I have heard the hand entry desribed is, if you feel like you entered properly, you were probably crossing, if you feel like you were reaching too far out to the side, you were probably right.    IF that makes sense!   I try to just hit the entry around my shoulder instead of around/over my head.  Then I know Im crossing.    If you show your husband the video of how it should look and have him watch you, it may help!

2008-12-29 6:49 PM

User image

Expert

I googled "pool buoys" and found out what they are. My Y has them, but how do I use them? Again, I apologize for all the really basic questions. I hope you don't mind.

2008-12-29 7:27 PM
in reply to: #1876621

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-29 6:49 PM

I googled "pool buoys" and found out what they are. My Y has them, but how do I use them? Again, I apologize for all the really basic questions. I hope you don't mind.

No problem at all!! I wish I would have had someone to ask all these questions to when I started!  But I didnt!

You put them in between your legs.  Your thighs to be specific, and it props your legs up into position and they kind of just float along behind you so you can specifically focus on your pull with your upper body.   It might take a couple times to get used to them

2008-12-29 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1876617

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
kellc09 - 2008-12-29 7:40 PM

oh thanks

As for nutrition..   that sounds like a good pre workout meal.   The main thing with a preworkout meal if you are working out early in the morning is that it is something that you can tolerate and it doesnt either come back to haunt you, or weigh you down.   If that works for you, that is a good meal then!   Sometimes I'll take a little snack to eat in between workouts if I do more than one in the morning.   My typical is PBJ or a bowl of cereal.   I cant do oatmeal or milk products like yogurt or cottage cheese especially before running.  So ive narrowed it to PBJ, english muffins, and cereal.  After my workout I do the oatmeal and protein thing.

Do you eat natural PB?? I have been bringing a natural PB and honey sand on WW for post workout snack.   I may switch things up when I go back to work.  I am trying to have quality training sessions.  Another question: do you eat the cereal w/out milk? 

2008-12-29 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1876827

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-29 8:48 PM
kellc09 - 2008-12-29 7:40 PM

oh thanks

Do you eat natural PB?? I have been bringing a natural PB and honey sand on WW for post workout snack.   I may switch things up when I go back to work.  I am trying to have quality training sessions.  Another question: do you eat the cereal w/out milk? 

Yes, I eat natural PB and natural jam.   As for the cereal.  I only eat cereal if I am not running.  I can handle it if I am biking or swimming.  I also mostly use soy milk.    Bananas seem to work well for me to

2008-12-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1876621

User image

Elgin, Ok
slow turtle - 2008-12-29 6:49 PM

The pool buoys will probably make you feel like you are falling forward in the water. You can think about it as "pressing your chest into the water". It is a result of your hips being up and parallel with the water. This should be the position you maintain without the pool buoy. It will feel weird at first but you will get used to it.
2008-12-29 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Hey All!!! Sorry I've been MIA for the past week. Hopefully everyone enjoyed their holidays!! Had a pretty hectic week. Grandfather in the hospital (nothing major), as well as house sitting. Didn't have a computer to access BT or a bike trainer while I was house sitting which made things tough to train, as you can see. Plus the gym closes at 4:30 on Saturday's. I mean, why so early on Saturdays?!?! I know, I know, no excuses, but I think I'm allowed a little break.

So I got in 2 workouts today, but tomorrow I head to NYC until Sunday. I plan on running at least once a day Wednesday-Saturday with hopefully a couple lifts in there somewhere. Ironfit actually starts today (rest day, so I guess tomorrow), but since I'm gonna be gone for the first week I'll skip my Monday, 1/5/09, rest day and hit week 2 right off the bat!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!! I'll talk to you when I get back!! 

-Nate

2008-12-29 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1876827

User image

Master
Congratulations, Bronwyn on the great workouts and the compliment from your family about being tiny. Yeah!!!

I also can't eat anything w/dairy before a workout. My fave pre-workout snack is either half a Cliff bar or a small bowl of granola (natural stuff I get in bulk at Whole Foods -- it's also fairly low-fat and low calorie as far as granolas go) with soy milk. The soy doesn't give me side aches like dairy does. I also gotta have my coffee (with a splash of half-and-half, the amount of which doesn't affect me). If I have a longer workout planned, I just eat more granola (and somtimes I add raw oats in with it), or maybe add some toast w/pb to it (natural stuff -- I'm a spaz about ingredients and preservatives and HFCS and hydrogenated oils, etc.).

I did the 1st workout of Jorge's week 2 today and found it to be positively killer. It was the hardest trainer workout I've ever done -- the 5x2' intervals killed me. So, a good workout!!

Still finding my vacation stride. I do much better with my consistent schedule when my husband is working and my kids are in school!!

Congrats Kellie on the tri performance... I'll hafta read your log and check it out! Or you can post here and brag about how it went!

Cheers!
2008-12-30 8:14 AM

User image

Expert

Zee-I hope your grandfather is feeling better. Is he home from the hospital? Have fun in the city.

Hughes-Thanks for the buoy tips. I'm glad to know what to expect before I get in the water, because I think the feeling of tipping me foreward is going to freak me out!

My goofball move of the day: I went to the gym this morning to get some early morning pool time. But, realized that I didn't have my swimsuit. That's okay, I'll run for 30 minutes on the track. Wrong!! I had everything but my sneakers! So I went back home and got ready for workFrown. I'm pretty annoyed with myself-now I need to figure out how to get to the pool later in the day.

2008-12-30 10:42 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Congratulations Matt!!! Nice job on all the training everyone!!! I made a team table for our mentor group if anyone wants to post it in their log. My next post will be the table. To put it in your log just quote the post, then copy and paste the table into the goals section of your training log through the control panel. Have a great day everyone!!!

2008-12-30 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
2008-12-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1877735

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
2008-12-30 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1877429

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
slow turtle - 2008-12-30 9:14 AM

Zee-I hope your grandfather is feeling better. Is he home from the hospital? Have fun in the city.

Hughes-Thanks for the buoy tips. I'm glad to know what to expect before I get in the water, because I think the feeling of tipping me foreward is going to freak me out!

My goofball move of the day: I went to the gym this morning to get some early morning pool time. But, realized that I didn't have my swimsuit. That's okay, I'll run for 30 minutes on the track. Wrong!! I had everything but my sneakers! So I went back home and got ready for workFrown. I'm pretty annoyed with myself-now I need to figure out how to get to the pool later in the day.

LOL! I guess you can't go without your swimsuit! And the weather is too cold for barefoot running! My pool sells swimwear and googles and caps so I can buy something in case of emergency.

Roni - thanks for the table...

I am pretty fatigued from my intense workouts.  I have been napping everyday.  I will have a tough time next week when I have to work and train!

2008-12-30 2:03 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Another Pink Day for the training log. Feels good after a long break. Thanks to all for inspiring me. I am starting my twenty week program today. I will train through my sprint tri on March 1st and Run an olympic on the 17th of May. The half I was planning to do is not yet posted on the calender. They may not be doing it this year or they may not have it posted yet. If they have it I may change my olympic to the half. It will be about the same time of year. Do you guys think I will be fine to switch and run the half if I follow a training program for the olympic distance? I still have the full iron scheduled for September.
2008-12-30 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

I posted an old fat pic of me under the thread before and after.  (I just like embarrassing myself publically...)  You can check it out for entertainment if you want...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=111988&posts=78#M1878429

2008-12-30 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1878433

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-30 5:00 PM

I posted an old fat pic of me under the thread before and after.  (I just like embarrassing myself publically...)  You can check it out for entertainment if you want...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=111988&posts=78#M1878429

that is QUITE A TRANSFORMATION!!!!!!!!!  Congrats!  

Its funny, the more in shape we are now, the more I hear people make comments that  "oh , your already skinny its not that hard for you", or "oh you have probably been like that all your life", "well you can eat that you workout" or whatever.  And make a thousand other excuses as to how easy it is for us, and how hard it is for them.   The fact is, IT IS HARD.  It is a struggle everyday.   And, its a choice.  Period.   A very select few have the metabolism and genetic makeup to eat how they want and still not gain.    I love to see/hear the stories when people choose to do something about it!!!!!!!!!   Thanks for sharing Bronwyn!
2008-12-30 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1878125

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

hughes411 - 2008-12-30 2:03 PM Another Pink Day for the training log. Feels good after a long break. Thanks to all for inspiring me. I am starting my twenty week program today. I will train through my sprint tri on March 1st and Run an olympic on the 17th of May. The half I was planning to do is not yet posted on the calender. They may not be doing it this year or they may not have it posted yet. If they have it I may change my olympic to the half. It will be about the same time of year. Do you guys think I will be fine to switch and run the half if I follow a training program for the olympic distance? I still have the full iron scheduled for September.

Welcome back   Glad you enjoyed the break and are glad to be back at it!

If your training for a full iron distance, doing a half isnt going to hurt.  Most people do a half during their full iron training as a run-through, practice day, etc

2008-12-30 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1878433

User image

Expert
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-30 6:00 PM

Holy Smokes, Bron!! That is amazing. No wonder why your kids weren't sure if it was you they saw running the other day!!

You've inspired me, so I'm off to the pool to try one of those pull buoy thingies!!

2008-12-30 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1878500

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
slow turtle - 2008-12-30 5:48 PM
Bronwyn1968 - 2008-12-30 6:00 PM

Holy Smokes, Bron!! That is amazing. No wonder why your kids weren't sure if it was you they saw running the other day!!

You've inspired me, so I'm off to the pool to try one of those pull buoy thingies!!

let us know how the pull buoy experience goes

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30