Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 71

2008-12-30 9:05 PM
in reply to: #1857705

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED

Hi folks,  Got in a 30 minute swim today.  I am hoping to add 5 minutes to my swim each week in January so I am happy to get going.  It also put me at 110% for my December limiter challenge.  Tomorrow I'm planning a 4 mile run, outside hopefully.

In regards to morning workouts, my daughter is a college runner and she has trouble keeping her weight up.  Since she practices in the morning she tries to eat a very hearty snack at bedtime so she is not too starving before practice.  She also eats a banana slathered with peanutbutter as soon as she gets up.  Hope this might help your situation RedSoxChick.

Oh yeah- Polar Bear Plunge on tap for noon 1/1/2009, film will follow!

2008-12-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1878721

User image

Veteran
QueenZipp - 2008-12-30 5:53 PM

ilucy2 - 2008-12-30 6:36 PM Good Day! I did not train in the gym today, I got to shovel loads of snow and climb up steep hills in order to fly to the bottom on a flying saucer!! I am old, so climbing up was more fun than going down. I am looking for a good run/bike/weights training program. I looked on the site, but everything includes swim. If all else fails, I can convert the swim to something else.

I missed something, not meaning to imply negativity...what  prevents the swimming?  Yes, if you are unable to swim use the time for another form of cross training but if there's no physical reason keeping you out of the pool start gently and swim

At this time, I am using my home gym, and my husband forbid me from filling the living room with water!! I will not be returning to the real gym for a couple of months. My concern was pushing that dumb leg too hard, if I do not have a written plan. I'll work on it.
2008-12-30 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1878832

User image

Champion
Calgary
QueenZipp - 2008-12-30 7:32 PM

So I just shared a recipe in the challenge foum that I thought you all might enjoy.  Sharing healthy food ideas is also welcome since weight issues seems to be a common theme.

Emeil Lagasse's Lentil and Brown Rice Soup:

5 C chicken both

1 1/2 C lentils , rinsed

1 C brown rice

32-35 oz can tomatos , reserve liquid to use in this

3 carrots peeled and chopped

1 onion peeled and chopped

stalk celery chopped

3 cloves garlic minced

1/2 tsp basil and oregano, 1/4 tsp thyme

1 bay leaf

1/2 fesh parsley, chopped

2 T cider vinegar

Add all ingrediens through the bay leaf to a pot with 3 cups water. Simmer, covered 1 hr.  Add in parsley and vinegar, season with salt and pepper to taste.  Discard bay leaf.  Soup wil be thick and thickens as it stands.  It can be diluted with chicken both if needed.

YUMMY

I adore lentils. mmmmm, sounds awesome.
2008-12-30 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1878913

User image

Champion
Calgary
KOM - 2008-12-30 8:05 PM

Hi folks,  Got in a 30 minute swim today.  I am hoping to add 5 minutes to my swim each week in January so I am happy to get going.  It also put me at 110% for my December limiter challenge. 

Great job on reaching your swim goal
2008-12-30 9:10 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So I went and done it, signed up for my 50k race, no turning back now.
2008-12-30 9:11 PM
in reply to: #1878583

User image

Champion
MA
Friend-of-Harpoon - 2008-12-30 7:46 PM

I JUST REGISTERED FOR THE SWIM LEG OF A HALF IRONMAN!!!!!!!

oops - it's me - RedSoxChick, on Friend of Harpoons lap top.... its still valid though because he and aquagirl are my team mates

GO TEAM '2 HENS AND 1 COCK'!

I love the name and glad you are doing Patriot. I plan on doing it solo and more BTers there the better

2008-12-30 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1878913

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
KOM - 2008-12-30 10:05 PM

Hi folks, Got in a 30 minute swim today. I am hoping to add 5 minutes to my swim each week in January so I am happy to get going. It also put me at 110% for my December limiter challenge. Tomorrow I'm planning a 4 mile run, outside hopefully.

In regards to morning workouts, my daughter is a college runner and she has trouble keeping her weight up. Since she practices in the morning she tries to eat a very hearty snack at bedtime so she is not too starving before practice. She also eats a banana slathered with peanutbutter as soon as she gets up. Hope this might help your situation RedSoxChick.

Oh yeah- Polar Bear Plunge on tap for noon 1/1/2009, film will follow!

Congrats on pushing your Limiter!

I was thinking about joining the L Street Brownies in Southie for the Plunge... until RedSoxChick smacked some sense into me with the forecast of Real Feel around 1º F!  (Actually, just looking it up now it says Real Feel -6 due to 27mph winds!)  I think I'll try to join on a year where the air temps are a little closer to the water temps. Brrrrr!

2008-12-31 12:00 AM

User image

Texas: Between Dallas & Fort Worth

Hey Ya'll!  Just checking in.  I'm all good here.  I've been following the Sprint swim focused plan pretty well. I'm off from work this week so I'm taking advantage of the free time to work out.  Tried Yoga for the first time this morning.  That was nuts, but cool.  Later I went back before dinner for a 18 min swim & 13 min run.

I'm going again tomorrow for yoga.  Then I'll go back to the gym for the 22 min swim as accoring to the plan.  I hate swimming!  How do you stay positive about something you don't like to do?  I know my attitude is self defeating.  I'm just MAKING myself get in there and do it.   Like punisment or something.  I hope in time I'll like it better. Any advice?

2008-12-31 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1879122

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
PacMo - 2008-12-31 12:00 AM

Hey Ya'll!  Just checking in.  I'm all good here.  I've been following the Sprint swim focused plan pretty well. I'm off from work this week so I'm taking advantage of the free time to work out.  Tried Yoga for the first time this morning.  That was nuts, but cool.  Later I went back before dinner for a 18 min swim & 13 min run.

I'm going again tomorrow for yoga.  Then I'll go back to the gym for the 22 min swim as accoring to the plan.  I hate swimming!  How do you stay positive about something you don't like to do?  I know my attitude is self defeating.  I'm just MAKING myself get in there and do it.   Like punisment or something.  I hope in time I'll like it better. Any advice?

It takes the mind set of reminding yourself that this is part of the "package" in triathlon.  I hated my bike for 2007, you wouldn't know it now.  Getting out and sticking to the training plan last summer along with a proper bike fit really changed my attitude toward biking.

Look at it like your least favorite house chore (ie the bathroom or finding UFO's in the fridge).  You hate doing that chore but know you also hate having a gross mess in your house and you go do it. 

I use my trip to Starbucks for coffee as a reward post swim --getting up before dawn to hit the cold water needs rewards  

2008-12-31 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1878923

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
ilucy2 - 2008-12-30 9:08 PM
QueenZipp - 2008-12-30 5:53 PM

ilucy2 - 2008-12-30 6:36 PM Good Day! I did not train in the gym today, I got to shovel loads of snow and climb up steep hills in order to fly to the bottom on a flying saucer!! I am old, so climbing up was more fun than going down. I am looking for a good run/bike/weights training program. I looked on the site, but everything includes swim. If all else fails, I can convert the swim to something else.

I missed something, not meaning to imply negativity...what  prevents the swimming?  Yes, if you are unable to swim use the time for another form of cross training but if there's no physical reason keeping you out of the pool start gently and swim

At this time, I am using my home gym, and my husband forbid me from filling the living room with water!! I will not be returning to the real gym for a couple of months. My concern was pushing that dumb leg too hard, if I do not have a written plan. I'll work on it.
Ah, now I see.  Don't push the leg too much.  Use the swim time for yoga or pilates or something
2008-12-31 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1879122

User image

Champion
MA
PacMo - 2008-12-31 1:00 AM

I used to struggle with certain workouts.  Hard thing about not liking swimming is you need to be relaxed to swim well so being frustrated doesn't help. I have often gotten frustrated with swimming so I do understand. To train for IM and doing 1-2+hour swims I bought a swim MP3 player to keep my mind busy...really helped me with my swims.

A mental trick my coach had me do is to rename my hardest workout of the week "my favorite". It was at times run intervals...I got my whole family into it and they'd ask when is your favorite workout...how was your favorite workout, etc. What it helped do is made it light hearted and silly a bit. For me it did make a huge difference for me getting workout done and did shift my mind some about it.

I came up with a name of an animal to be like in the water..I picked a fish...Pike...as they are strong, lean and fast. It became a big joke with me, my family, my coach and my BT friends. My coach named all my swim work outs Bad Azz Pike swims, when I raced I wrote Pike or Iron Pike on my swim cap. It truly became a fun thing with me. Many BT friends mentioned  they thought about the Pike while doing a hard swim like doing a race when it was 55. 

Can you swim with someone? Meet someone at gym if they don't swim and hang out afterwards? 

I used to reward myself with going out to Panera after my longest workout of the week with IM training.

So ideas might be train with others, meet others after wards, rename it to a goofy name, distract yourself.

2008-12-31 8:19 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

Morning everyone! I'm really sore this morning...did my long run on a treadmill   yesterday. My hips took a beating, and that doe not happen when I run outside. The weather made it impossible to get outside, but maybe I would have been better off skipping it altogether. I  am training for a  half marathon coming up at the end of February. My goal is to beat my previous time by anything!

Time to go torture myself on the foam roller......

2008-12-31 9:09 AM

User image

Beantown

i can't wait to go SWIMMING - MY OFFICE CLOSES @ NOON AND I'M BE SUMBERGED BY 12:15!!!!

(I used to hate running but once i started gaining confidence i came to like it (a little) keep working at your weakness and you'll come around, too!!)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

2008-12-31 9:23 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Good morning all and to a great new years eve.

On the swimming thing, personally I do not prioritize it. However, when I got to do it I got to do it, so I go and do it. Training for the IM I had many long swims. As for motivation, if just being in better shape, having time to yourself, and fulffilling your goals isn't enough (and some time it is not) I would ponder this: Have you seen Micheal Phelps, good god that kid is ripped, I thought listen, if a little swimming could get me to look a little more like Phelps then darn tootin' I am going swimming.

If I were you I would think Dana Torres.
2008-12-31 9:52 AM
in reply to: #1879545

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

BigDH - 2008-12-31 10:23 AM Good morning all and to a great new years eve. On the swimming thing, personally I do not prioritize it. However, when I got to do it I got to do it, so I go and do it. Training for the IM I had many long swims. As for motivation, if just being in better shape, having time to yourself, and fulffilling your goals isn't enough (and some time it is not) I would ponder this: Have you seen Micheal Phelps, good god that kid is ripped, I thought listen, if a little swimming could get me to look a little more like Phelps then darn tootin' I am going swimming. If I were you I would think Dana Torres.

Love the visualization stuff and being a body double for Dana Torres would rock! Don't forget she is 40+!  I was thinking about why I like the swim even though I am still really learning proper form.  I realized that I like feeling relatively weightless, I like the quiet associated with the water and mostly I think that even though I am in a chloriney pool I imagine myself in a beautiful tropical lagoon somewhere and I am swimming peacefully through aquamarine water.  This sensation really helps me to slow down and relax which helps my swimming.  I know it sounds crazy but whenever I am in the water I think tropical even if it isn't.

Off to do my morning run.  It is most untropical and no amount of imagination will overcome 27*, windy and heavy snow.  It will be quiet though which does put me in a Zen place.

Have a safe and Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

2008-12-31 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California

Greetings!  Boy, that lentil soup sounds terrific.  I, too, am a big fan of lentils and brown rice.  I can't wait to try it.

I swim with the Rose Bowl Masters, but I can't say that their workouts have helped me any as I keep getting slower and slower (in one of the articles there was the phrase "terminal mediocrity" and that describe me).  So, in January I am really going to focus  on the swimming drills found here (and on the TriSwimCoach DVD).  My problem is that the RB Masters program doesn't really encourage you to be doing your own thing while everyone else is doing the workout.  I can't keep up with the workout so I am not sure why it matters.  I pay the high fees to swim at the Rose Bowl so that I can swim in a 50 meter pool.  They also have a 25 yard rec pool with ust lap swimmers and no coached workout, but that pool is a whole lot warmer and even a short swim just wipes you out so that isn't a practical solution.  I am going to talk to the coach on Tuesday and let him know and see if he will be OK with me just working on drills for January.  Wish me luck with this.

As for my bio.  I am 53.  Non-athletic.  Would like to lose 15 pounds and 15% body fat.  Not sure how those two will correlate.  I enjoy doing triathlons and did my first in 2000, but have slacked off in the last few years, but really want to get back into doing more of them.  I would love to have a friend to do them with, but alas, I have no one and do them by myself.  I am a back of the pack kind of person, but comfortable with that.  My goal for this year is to do the LA Triathlon in 3:30 (instead of the 4:20 of 2008).   My significant other is mildly supportive, but also resents the time my training takes away from being at home with him.  He did get into the whole "peach" thing and was always asking me what I was going to do to get my peach so that was helpful. 

I weigh in at Weight Watchers today and I am expecting it to be a really good number. 

Have a good day and happy training!

Leah 

2008-12-31 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

I had to google Dana Torres to see those abs since I've only seen her in a full suit before... what a hottie! Maybe I need to not ignore my pool workouts so much! Tongue out

Got my last run in of 2008. It felt sooooo good! Well, actually my knees hated going out at first and I have this weird pain in the outer right foot (wearing new sneaks and orthotic inserts for the first time together... probably need to go back to the regular insoles or just break these in a little more) but the snow is BEAUTIFUL and my honey made me a playlist that is perfect for running (and some of the songs made me nearly weepy). I love this town, too - snowy and slushy and I still ran by 4 or 5 bike commuters!

Such a perfect day to get out and get my HR up and reflect on the past year and what's coming next. I'm grateful for being with someone supportive of my training, of having an inkling of a plan and a group that'll help encourage me and keep me on track. I got a little bit of a sweet zone out there today and was thinking of you folks when I realized I hit it. Embarassed Laughing We're gonna kick a lot of butt in '09... even if it is only our own!

Happy New Year!

2008-12-31 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1878929

User image

Master
NJ
BigDH - 2008-12-30 10:10 PM

So I went and done it, signed up for my 50k race, no turning back now.

Excellent!! Congrats and enjoy the training!
2008-12-31 11:25 AM

User image

Master
NJ
Hey there - the last day of the year already!! My training today took a back seat to the second sick child this week. Slept through my 6am date with the trainer and wound up doing not even 1/2 hr. trainerride watching Higglytown Heroes while the girls were on the couch. Torture. After dr. visit, pharmacy visit, dunkin donuts visit (mommy needs the coffee) we're back home and taking it easy. The plan of the day was 1hr trainer, 30 mins. on the t-mill while kiddies were in babysitting but that didn't work. A little stretching/yoga later and lots of Dora the explorer.
Happy New Year everyone -
oh, and when I don't feel like swimming, I reward myself with a bit of sauna time afterwards or sometimes I'll just do lots of short sets. Usually I just swim straight through but somehow just counting 4 laps a few times makes the time go by quicker than counting all the way to 20 or however many laps I do. Starbucks would help too!! Yummy chai lattes
2008-12-31 12:18 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Good morning everyone. It's going to be another low key day. I've got a run planned for the day. My husband and I are going out to dinner tonight but nothing much more, he's still sick and we won't be staying up late.

Kristin I'm sorry that the kids aren't feeling well. I hope they get better soon .

Happy New Year's everyone.

2008-12-31 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1879661

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
LeahDD - 2008-12-31 11:11 AM

Greetings!  Boy, that lentil soup sounds terrific.  I, too, am a big fan of lentils and brown rice.  I can't wait to try it.

I swim with the Rose Bowl Masters, but I can't say that their workouts have helped me any as I keep getting slower and slower (in one of the articles there was the phrase "terminal mediocrity" and that describe me).  So, in January I am really going to focus  on the swimming drills found here (and on the TriSwimCoach DVD).  My problem is that the RB Masters program doesn't really encourage you to be doing your own thing while everyone else is doing the workout.  I can't keep up with the workout so I am not sure why it matters.  I pay the high fees to swim at the Rose Bowl so that I can swim in a 50 meter pool.  They also have a 25 yard rec pool with ust lap swimmers and no coached workout, but that pool is a whole lot warmer and even a short swim just wipes you out so that isn't a practical solution.  I am going to talk to the coach on Tuesday and let him know and see if he will be OK with me just working on drills for January.  Wish me luck with this.

As for my bio.  I am 53.  Non-athletic.  Would like to lose 15 pounds and 15% body fat.  Not sure how those two will correlate.  I enjoy doing triathlons and did my first in 2000, but have slacked off in the last few years, but really want to get back into doing more of them.  I would love to have a friend to do them with, but alas, I have no one and do them by myself.  I am a back of the pack kind of person, but comfortable with that.  My goal for this year is to do the LA Triathlon in 3:30 (instead of the 4:20 of 2008).   My significant other is mildly supportive, but also resents the time my training takes away from being at home with him.  He did get into the whole "peach" thing and was always asking me what I was going to do to get my peach so that was helpful. 

I weigh in at Weight Watchers today and I am expecting it to be a really good number. 

Have a good day and happy training!

Leah 

Leah- Congrats on your peachy month.  Whether you believe it or not YOU ARE AN ATHLETE.  How many 53 year old women can claim to have exercised every day? or completed a triathlon? Never mind more than one!  Give yourself the credit you are due girl!  I describe myself as an adult onset athlete- I wasn't a jock in HS or college, and still don't look athletic, but in my heart I know I am an athlete.  Claim that for yourself too.

Have a great New Years Eve.

2008-12-31 1:54 PM

User image

Thanks for the advice.  I lke the visualization idea - tropical. That's nice.  Looking like Dara Torres wouldn't be a bad thing either!  I'll have to think of a type of fish I can be something other than a flounder (ther just lay on the bottom w/ their eyes all crazy - how I feel).  I'll also need a good reward - Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk sounds real good!  I do have a coworker that's coming around to my side slowly on working out.  I can probably talk her into hanging out with me at the pool while I train.  I'm beginning to see a light.  Thanks Ya'll!

Yogaed again today - more like CardioYoga!  Tried to swim but they closed the pool 10 minutes into my swim.  Don't see a return trip back today.

Happy New Year!!!Cool

2008-12-31 5:19 PM

User image

I'm having a hard time counting my laps swimming and while researching ideas to help I found the article.  It cracked me up!

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?CATEGORY=swimming&NUM=2&CHECKSSO=0&STORY_ID=8608

2008-12-31 5:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA
I did make my daughter happy doing a Zumba class after wards the snow was coming down hard so I went to the close Y to run on treadmill to get my 4 miles in. Pool was unavailable as swim team was in than it closed early so I was unable to swim but I'll make it up tomorrow.
2008-12-31 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1880429

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
PacMo - 2008-12-31 5:19 PM

I'm having a hard time counting my laps swimming and while researching ideas to help I found the article.  It cracked me up!

http://www.active.com/story.cfm?CATEGORY=swimming&NUM=2&CHECKSSO=0&STORY_ID=8608

That was great!  I had such a hard time keeping my laps right this morning.  I'm good for about 300 yards, then my mind zones out and every 4 laps I remind myself "that's  ---- yards now, you have ____left"
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QUEEN ZIP & KathyG - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 71