of 220

2009-12-17 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2564069

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - OPEN!
Oh man.  I suck.

KelliD - 2009-12-17 9:12 AM This is old news now   We already discussed this in the old thread while you were still in hibernation.

Nicole83 - 2009-12-17 8:45 AM Um wait a minute, you have a BOYFRIEND?

Okay, officially out of hibernation now.  KELLI!  DETAILS!!!

2009-12-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2563985

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - CLOSED!
Nicole83 - 2009-12-17 7:41 AM So Ken (and Kari), I lived in St. Louis for about 4 years right out of college.  I actually raced the St. Louis marathon in oh... 2005 I think?  My father in law did it in 2006.  That's a really fun race, great course and typically good weather.

I also highly reccomend the Lewis and Clark race later in the season, the second half of it is on the Katy Trail and it's awesome.

I moved from St. Louis in 1996 so it's been a while.  When I lived there I wasn't running at all though now that I am in Houston I do think I would appreciate training in the spring and fall in St. Louis since we skip those seasons here in Hades er, I mean Houston.
2009-12-17 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2558074

User image

Pro
Houston
Maybe somebody in the group can help me this morning.  The backs of my knees are SCREAMING at me.  My hamstrings have always been tight but they aren't really in pain right now.  I was rolling around with my foam roller at 1am trying to work out kinks to get comfortable enough to fall asleep.  The foam roller has certainly helped my ITB, lower back and hamstrings in the last several months but I can't find a good pressure point or stretch for the backs of my knees.  Sitting with my legs folded (right now I am indian-style on a chair) wait.... that doens't sound PC.... anyway, when I go to stretch out my legs to stand - ouchie!  Any suggestions?
2009-12-17 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2564108

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Wine.

Ok, in seriousness, what are they sore from?   Running or cycling?  It's likely that there is a tweak to your form/bike fitting that could be made to help with that.  I used to get sore in that same spot prior to having my bike fit.  My saddle was too something (far back maybe?) which was causing the soreness.  Just a thought...

But seriously, the wine will help immensely with the tightness.  Just maybe not at 9 a.m.

KeriKadi - 2009-12-17 9:23 AM Maybe somebody in the group can help me this morning.  The backs of my knees are SCREAMING at me.  My hamstrings have always been tight but they aren't really in pain right now.  I was rolling around with my foam roller at 1am trying to work out kinks to get comfortable enough to fall asleep.  The foam roller has certainly helped my ITB, lower back and hamstrings in the last several months but I can't find a good pressure point or stretch for the backs of my knees.  Sitting with my legs folded (right now I am indian-style on a chair) wait.... that doens't sound PC.... anyway, when I go to stretch out my legs to stand - ouchie!  Any suggestions?
2009-12-17 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2564108

User image

Master
New York, NY
Is it sore/tight directly behind your knee or a little to the inside/outside?  I get tight back there, but it's more towards the inside of my knee.  To work this with the foam roller I sit on the floor with my legs out in front of me....put the roller under my left knee, then right leg on top of the left, put my hands behind me to stabilize/hold myself up, lift my butt off the ground and roll back and forth.  If that makes any sense at all...

KeriKadi - 2009-12-17 9:23 AM Maybe somebody in the group can help me this morning.  The backs of my knees are SCREAMING at me.  My hamstrings have always been tight but they aren't really in pain right now.  I was rolling around with my foam roller at 1am trying to work out kinks to get comfortable enough to fall asleep.  The foam roller has certainly helped my ITB, lower back and hamstrings in the last several months but I can't find a good pressure point or stretch for the backs of my knees.  Sitting with my legs folded (right now I am indian-style on a chair) wait.... that doens't sound PC.... anyway, when I go to stretch out my legs to stand - ouchie!  Any suggestions?
2009-12-17 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2564027

User image

Payson, AZ
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-17 6:01 AM I have to say days like this are why I need this mentor group.  It was 40 degrees (cold for those of us in Houston) and more rain than water coming out of my shower.  Because I knew Eric was watching I went ahead and got my crap on at 4AM and ran.  It was a very good weekday 10k run for me and when I got back I was very happy I ran.  I got on the scale (like I always do) and was happy to see Thanskgiving / last weekends eat fest gone and I am back to pre holiday weight.  I still have a few pounds to drop before I tackle the Houston Half but good slow progress is all I am looking for.

I hate the dreadmill so much now I was willing to get very wet to avoid it. 

Thanks

Yeah, always sucks stepping out the door but it usually works out to be not so bad.  Hey, you were going to sweat anyways 

2009-12-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2564123

User image

Pro
Houston
Nicole83 - 2009-12-17 8:33 AM Wine.

Ok, in seriousness, what are they sore from?   Running or cycling?  It's likely that there is a tweak to your form/bike fitting that could be made to help with that.  I used to get sore in that same spot prior to having my bike fit.  My saddle was too something (far back maybe?) which was causing the soreness.  Just a thought...

But seriously, the wine will help immensely with the tightness.  Just maybe not at 9 a.m.

I like the way you think!
But I have to say at first when I saw wine I thought you meant whine and I was like.... wait she should get to know me before she calls me a whiner Wink  wino on the other hand is just fine Tongue out

It's from running though I have had this from cycling before when my seat was too high.

2009-12-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2564135

User image

Pro
Houston
KelliD - 2009-12-17 8:39 AM Is it sore/tight directly behind your knee or a little to the inside/outside?  I get tight back there, but it's more towards the inside of my knee.  To work this with the foam roller I sit on the floor with my legs out in front of me....put the roller under my left knee, then right leg on top of the left, put my hands behind me to stabilize/hold myself up, lift my butt off the ground and roll back and forth.  If that makes any sense at all...

Yes!  A little more towards the middle.  Ok that makes total sense!  When I as on the roller and had it under both of my knees there just wasn't enough pressure.  I am thinking with one leg on top there will be a whole new realm of pain.... I mean... relief.... eventually anyway.  Thanks so much for the tip Kelli.
2009-12-17 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
I have a question...... I have a 90 minute run scheduled today, a recovery run on Friday and My long bike on Saturday. Currently it is pouring and I was unable to go for my bike prior to work due to the rain (safety issues). Rather than skipping my bike today, could I run today in the rain and bike on Friday and Saturday? Or should I just ride in the rain?

Thanks for the feed back.

Edited by Houstonrider 2009-12-17 9:21 AM
2009-12-17 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2564208

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
I know the feeling Ken.  I did not want to get up this  morning either....not at all!  There was maybe like 30 people at the park this morning.  I definitely felt like a die hard runner.   haha  Plus, like you, I will do anything to avoid the treadmill.

bzgl40 - 2009-12-17 9:00 AM
I KENOTT swim - 2009-12-17 6:01 AM I have to say days like this are why I need this mentor group.  It was 40 degrees (cold for those of us in Houston) and more rain than water coming out of my shower.  Because I knew Eric was watching I went ahead and got my crap on at 4AM and ran.  It was a very good weekday 10k run for me and when I got back I was very happy I ran.  I got on the scale (like I always do) and was happy to see Thanskgiving / last weekends eat fest gone and I am back to pre holiday weight.  I still have a few pounds to drop before I tackle the Houston Half but good slow progress is all I am looking for.

I hate the dreadmill so much now I was willing to get very wet to avoid it. 

Thanks

Yeah, always sucks stepping out the door but it usually works out to be not so bad.  Hey, you were going to sweat anyways 
2009-12-17 9:19 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

Look who decided to join the fun **NICOLE!**   LET THE BANTER BEGIN! Wink   You need to focus missy!  RAGBAI before you are 30 ~ you have plenty of time!  youngin'!

2009-12-17 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Kerikad,

Another thing you can do to prevent sore and tight muscles is make sure you stretch and warm up prior to every run. I also am in the habit of icing my legs, mostly calves, after long runs and this really seems to help me.

Just thought it may help.
2009-12-17 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2564259

User image

Houstonrider - 2009-12-17 9:15 AM I have a question...... I have a 90 minute run scheduled today, a recovery run on Friday and My long bike on Saturday. Currently it is pouring and I was unable to go for my bike prior to work due to the rain (safety issues). Rather than skipping my bike today, could I ran today in the rain and bike on Friday and Saturday?

Because the bike is much lower impact than the run, it is very feasible to do back to back bikes.  The ride on Friday ~ is that an interval or LT type ride?  What is the effort for Sat's ride?  As long as you are not doing 90minute LT ride on Friday and then try and do a race pace 90+ ride on Sat... you should be good. 
2009-12-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2564069

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Don't let her fool you Nicole.  I couldn't get much out of her and the boys were no help

KelliD - 2009-12-17 8:12 AM This is old news now   We already discussed this in the old thread while you were still in hibernation.

2009-12-17 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2564291

User image

Master
Houston
I'm with him, go run today bike back-to-back

Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 9:23 AM
Houstonrider - 2009-12-17 9:15 AM I have a question...... I have a 90 minute run scheduled today, a recovery run on Friday and My long bike on Saturday. Currently it is pouring and I was unable to go for my bike prior to work due to the rain (safety issues). Rather than skipping my bike today, could I ran today in the rain and bike on Friday and Saturday?

Because the bike is much lower impact than the run, it is very feasible to do back to back bikes.  The ride on Friday ~ is that an interval or LT type ride?  What is the effort for Sat's ride?  As long as you are not doing 90minute LT ride on Friday and then try and do a race pace 90+ ride on Sat... you should be good. 
2009-12-17 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2564291

User image

Expert
Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 9:23 AM

The 90 minute ride is a light effort ride that follows my long run. Saturday will be a long ride 40 -50 miles with intervals built in. My long run, since I'm only in week two was 5.8 mile, so I feel fine to run today. Guess I will be running then. Thanks.

2009-12-17 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2564281

User image

Houstonrider - 2009-12-17 9:20 AM Kerikad,

Another thing you can do to prevent sore and tight muscles is make sure you stretch and warm up prior to every run. I also am in the habit of icing my legs, mostly calves, after long runs and this really seems to help me.

Yes, BUT... warm-up with a walk or light jog for 5 minutes.... Then stretch lightly (30 second holds at most) or do dynamic stretching (skips, hops, leg kicks, calisthenics - don't do just straight static stretches on cold muscles)  The stretching before can adversely effect your performance. 
Do your run then warm-down with a walk... then do your more focused stretches ~ holding them for 45-60 seconds each.  Hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, groin, calves, glutes and lower back... they are all connected and affect one another.  Then ice or ice bath after hard (interval / long runs 1hr+
2009-12-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2564307

User image

I think he's some sort of Secret Agent man.... she could tell us about him, but then she would have to kill us ALL!  All we know is he a good looking, athlete type who like Tri's and digs Kelli!  I think I am developing a man crush myself! Embarassed

Betsy0706 - 2009-12-17 9:28 AM Don't let her fool you Nicole.  I couldn't get much out of her and the boys were no help

KelliD - 2009-12-17 8:12 AM This is old news now   We already discussed this in the old thread while you were still in hibernation.

2009-12-17 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2564334

User image

Pro
Houston
Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 9:33 AM Yes, BUT... warm-up with a walk or light jog for 5 minutes.... Then stretch lightly (30 second holds at most) or do dynamic stretching (skips, hops, leg kicks, calisthenics - don't do just straight static stretches on cold muscles)  The stretching before can adversely effect your performance. 
Do your run then warm-down with a walk... then do your more focused stretches ~ holding them for 45-60 seconds each.  Hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, groin, calves, glutes and lower back... they are all connected and affect one another.  Then ice or ice bath after hard (interval / long runs 1hr+

That sounds lovely, however, if I did all that I wouldn't have time left to run.  Once I check the girls in I have about 90 minutes and if I took the time to do all that I wouldn't be able to run longer than 4 or maybe 5.

I did the ice bath once, not sure I'll ever muster the courage to do it again.  This coming from a woman that gave birth w/o pain meds 5 times!  I took me several hours to warm up after my run yesterday w/o the ice bath and with a hot shower.

On a good note I do hold my stretches and I don't bounce or anything though I am positive I don't stretch enough.  I will give the dynamic stretching a shot.  What is a good stretch for the hip flexors?  Mine really start aching at 6-7 miles.
2009-12-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2564334

User image

Master
Houston
I thought nothing I said before stuck with the unmentionable race wheel comments yesterday and then this makes me think there's hope!

Justin's right on, one extra thing to add to the post run recovery list... compression tights are awesome. Let the debate begin...

Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 9:33 AM
Houstonrider - 2009-12-17 9:20 AM Kerikad,

Yes, BUT... warm-up with a walk or light jog for 5 minutes.... Then stretch lightly (30 second holds at most) or do dynamic stretching (skips, hops, leg kicks, calisthenics - don't do just straight static stretches on cold muscles)  The stretching before can adversely effect your performance. 
2009-12-17 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Bunch of weenies over here.

2009-12-17 9:49 AM

User image

Hip Flexor then Glute stretch examples

(hip-flexor-arch.jpg)

(Gallery-Warm-up-Running-d-010.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
hip-flexor-arch.jpg (29KB - 12 downloads)
Gallery-Warm-up-Running-d-010.jpg (24KB - 9 downloads)
2009-12-17 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2564386

User image

smilford - 2009-12-17 9:45 AM Bunch of weenies over here.

Now that is no way to repay a compliment!  Oh yeah, then you're a weenie watcher!  Tongue out
2009-12-17 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2564369

User image

KeriKadi - 2009-12-17 9:40 AM
Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 9:33 AM Yes, BUT... warm-up with a walk or light jog for 5 minutes.... Then stretch lightly (30 second holds at most) or do dynamic stretching (skips, hops, leg kicks, calisthenics - don't do just straight static stretches on cold muscles)  The stretching before can adversely effect your performance. 

That sounds lovely, however, if I did all that I wouldn't have time left to run.  Once I check the girls in I have about 90 minutes and if I took the time to do all that I wouldn't be able to run longer than 4 or maybe 5.

I did the ice bath once, not sure I'll ever muster the courage to do it again.  This coming from a woman that gave birth w/o pain meds 5 times!  I took me several hours to warm up after my run yesterday w/o the ice bath and with a hot shower.

On a good note I do hold my stretches and I don't bounce or anything though I am positive I don't stretch enough.  I will give the dynamic stretching a shot.  What is a good stretch for the hip flexors?  Mine really start aching at 6-7 miles.

It is hard to add the extra minutes for stretching, but the dividends may actually be greater for you then the extra mile you would give up.  If you recover better, faster & stronger. Then you can increase your run inensity a little and make better fitness gains in the 4-5 miles you have... eventually pushing the milage out as your speed increases.  Proper recovery and injury prevention is a vital part of endurance training.  You can do the stretches after you get home with the girls... if there is a will there will be a way!  Make it happen missy ~ don't make me call a Whammm-bulance!  Drop the coin on recovery tights ~ next to my 305! Best training tool out there... ~ It would be third of course if Eric would give me his PT and pick himself up a new one
2009-12-17 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2564352

User image

Master
New York, NY
He has the effect on people 

We've actually been friends for quite a while....we're in the same running group.  Started hanging out more and more, became clear we were both interested, he eventually asked me out aannnndd here we are   He's also really tall....I can wear my tallest heels and I'm still shorter than him....love it!  He's super speedy on the bike....on a good day I can hang for about 5 seconds.  He's just a really, really good guy! 

Trin2bfast - 2009-12-17 10:36 AM I think he's some sort of Secret Agent man.... she could tell us about him, but then she would have to kill us ALL!  All we know is he a good looking, athlete type who like Tri's and digs Kelli!  I think I am developing a man crush myself! Embarassed

Betsy0706 - 2009-12-17 9:28 AM Don't let her fool you Nicole.  I couldn't get much out of her and the boys were no help

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 220