BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-12-27 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3956457

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
kpringle - 2011-12-27 6:41 PM

So, I have a specific question for the group...  What are you all riding for bikes??  I rode a Trek hybrid last tri season.  Love the bike, but I did feel like it was super heavy.  I'm looking to purchase either a road or tri bike for next season, but was curious to see what people have and what they recommend.  I realize that it's a personal decision and really depends on body type and how the bike/brand fits.  Just wanted to throw that question out there!  Thanks!!

I road on a borrowed Specialized road bike for most of last year before buying a Marin road bike.  I spent most of the year reading all the posts on bike recommendations and trying to figure out what I wanted to do.  First I should say that I'm cheap, as this impacts what I did.  I ended buying my bike on craigslist.  It had about 500 miles on it and the person I bought it from clearly loved it and took really good care of it.  Before buying my bike I looked and road on lots of different style bikes all around town.  One of the reasons I went with a road bike was because I was still fairly new to tris.  What I had been told was that it is easy to sell (assume this varies some by location) your road bike if you want to upgrade in the future (or stop riding) and you can get a pretty good return on what you paid (especially if you bought used and got a good deal originally).  But, it is harder to sell your tri bike and you usually take a pretty big hit when you resell it.  So for me, I felt the best next step (although, perhaps not finall step) was a road bike.  I did add aerobars and am really happy with the options it provides for me.  

How much you want to spend, what your goals are (distances/tris only/road races) are also huge factors.  Good luck!!

2011-12-27 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Thanks for your responses, Shawn and Louise!  So far I have only done sprint tris, but hope to do an Oly this season.  I also have the pipe dream of doing an HIM in 2013 or 2014...

My budget is $2K but would really be happier with $1500.  (And so would my husband!)

2011-12-27 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3956585

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I'm riding an entry level mountain bike.  Heavy and cumbersome, but it has 2 wheels and works, so it's what I use for now.  I'm aiming to get a road bike in the spring, but I need to get a job first.
2011-12-27 8:40 PM

User image

Seminole, FL

NAME: JenMcConnell/ Jen  

STORY:  Hi, I am so excited to be a part of this group!!! Hilde is one of my first BT friends and I just adore her!!! My first tri was May 2009. I fell in love with this sport. It is amazing how an individual sport can feel like such a team thing. Everyone is so encouraging and motivating. I just love it. My ADD personality really thrives on the change of events. I have tried to go to only running and I tend to peter out. I am a tri-gal through and through. Currently, I am having gym issues and waiting until Jan 1 when my insurance reveals their new gym deals. I hope to get into a great one with child care and a POOL!!! So needed now that its dark so early. Looking forward to training with you all virtually! 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to the best man this side of heaven Joe for 7years, 3 children, (5yrs,3yrs, and 6 months

CURRENT TRAINING: 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: My 2011 races include only run races. I was pregnant during most of the season. I ended up doing runs only 1 5k and a 10k. 

2012 RACES: I def want to do a lot of sprints, maybe an oly. Running I would love to see a half but not sure I can dole out the time in training. we will see. Def some 5 and 10ks

WEIGHTLOSS: I am currently 147lbs but would like to drop 15-20lbs. I just lost 50lbs from pregnancy of course. 10 lbs to be back to pre-preg weight. 

2011-12-27 8:54 PM

User image

Expert

Happy Day After Boxing Day, everyone! So cool to come back, update my logs, and catch up on the chat here!

Like some of you, I got some fun tri gear for Xmas:

--Phantom, my fabulous Cervelo P2 (OK, so this was a present to myself...still counts!)-- so Wilson, I think I count twice on the "recent bike purchase" front: got Katana, my roadie, back in July, and Phantom in December! Love them both, even if I may have few savings to speak of for a while...

--some books on nutrition, recovery, and one-hour workouts

--a little Iron Man 2 action figure (for inspiration, I'm told!)

--a copy of my horoscope from the fateful day I came up with the realization that I could actually *do* an IM (I blame that horoscope and Don Fink, I really do!)

--lots of videos to watch during the long trainer rides that will be my fate this winter

Spent time with my family, ate WAY too much food, managed to get some exercise in...it's all been most excellent, I have to say. Glad to hear all of you have had a wonderful holiday-- hope everyone continues to do so for as long as possible!

2011-12-27 9:10 PM

Extreme Veteran

K - I've got a really basic ladies Malvern Star - I'd like to get something better though but I think I'll have a look at swimming lessons first - nothing to recommend on the bike stuff though - I only got mine cos a) it looked good and b) I got it cheap,lol.

Hilde - ok that makes sense. So it's sort of the "under x's" age groups

Sulcus - you still got a better "fit" on your bike than I did. I basically just went in to the shop and picked it up. I got it after the actual LBS had closed because I knew the owner,lol.

gnome - sounds like me - although I'm not even sure mine qualifies as a Mountain bike - it's more just a general one - and actually a step back from the one I had as a teen which I rode to school for about 6 months (if that) but it was all I could afford on benefits and it looks pretty,lol.

JenM - welcome to the group. Good luck with the gym search - mine is basically the house and a couple of playgrounds nearby - found gyms don't really work for me too well.

Sulcus - how does bein 25lb over race weight stop you riding? Or is the bike telling you you're too heavy? Mine did that for a while (the suspension or something kept squeaking even on short rides (not even 20 mins)) but it's all good now.

So has anyone else got a tri-gear wish list?

Mine would probably be:

New bike gloves - I'm currently using cheap weight training gloves

New bike - not sure what type though

Very light weights - ok not exactly tri gear but it's still related - the 2kg dumbell bars are too heavy right now for some of my exercises. I'll probably just get the normal plastic coated ones for that though, I think.

2011-12-27 11:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, I have a specific question for the group...  What are you all riding for bikes??  I rode a Trek hybrid last tri season.  Love the bike, but I did feel like it was super heavy.  I'm looking to purchase either a road or tri bike for next season, but was curious to see what people have and what they recommend.  I realize that it's a personal decision and really depends on body type and how the bike/brand fits.  Just wanted to throw that question out there!  Thanks!!

My first year, I had a Masi road bike; this past year I switched to a carbon Kuota tri bike. Both were used, from Craigslist, because my hubby's a thrifter and pretty much everything we have comes from Craigslist! I had a thorough fitting done with an independent guy. The road bike was comfortable pretty much right off the bat; the tri bike took some getting used to, but I absolutely love it now, and my hands are much happier now that I ride in aero all the time (I was starting to get cyclist's palsy). Bike shops have their advantages, but at least when you buy used, if it doesn't work out, you can resell it and most likely get your money back. Have fun shopping!

2011-12-28 6:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH

I purchased a Trek road bike from the local bike co-op this past spring - after the crazy notion of doing a triathlon had firmly taken hold. My opinion on tri bikes (and be forewarned, it's not a popular one), is that I don't need one. For most age groupers, training harder and more consistently will yield a far higher return on investment than the 4-digit investment in a tri bike. 

As someone else mentioned though, it completely depends on your goals. If you have the funds and are looking to compete in HIM or IM, go for the tri bike. And let's be honest, they do look cool! 

Tri Wish List (Who doesn't have one of these Laughing)

• Garmin foot pod 
  • Aero drink system
  • Zoomer fins
  • a wet suit (Lake Erie is damn cold even in July!)
  • another pair or two of tri shorts. I prefer to bike in them as opposed to actual bike shorts (which feel like diapers to me)
  • Cold Gear for running outside (so jealous of all of you who live in warmer climates)

Happy hump day everyone! 
Michelle 

2011-12-28 6:31 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Happy Birthday Hilde & Vanessa.

No new tri gear for me.  New camera instead!

This past week has been full of family visiting @ my house.  2 extra adults and 4 kids staying nights with 4 other adults joining us every evening for dinners.  14 of us in total!  Finding enough bowls and plates for every meal has been interesting.  Had to break out paper & plastic several times.

We live about 8 miles from the White House so sight-seeing is big priority for everyone.  Visited Smithsonian museums, most of the monuments & memorials, and Spy Museum so far.  Today we head to Mount Vernon with a stop at a Krispy Kreme bakery on the way.  Tongue out

I bit the bullet and got a new bike in November.  I've discovered that I'm pretty competitive and my performance on my 1994 Trek was topped out.  After my last race, I knew I just couldn't get much more out of the old bike.  

I only rode a few and found that the Felt B16 (same kind as Hilde) seemed to be the best match.  Size = 51cm with 650cc wheels.  It handles quite differently from the Trek and it will take quite a few rides to get used to it as far as handling goes.  I LOVE the aero position.  Must admit hills are scary though given there are no brakes on the aerobars.

Still have to get hydration figured out.

My favorite pics with new camera below - FDR, MLK, WWII, Vietnam, and Korean memorials.

Edited by hoffsquared 2011-12-28 6:43 AM

(IMG_0377 small.jpg)

(IMG_0383 small.jpg)

(IMG_0466 small.jpg)

(IMG_0471 small.jpg)

(IMG_0361 Small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0377 small.jpg (28KB - 22 downloads)
IMG_0383 small.jpg (48KB - 20 downloads)
IMG_0466 small.jpg (39KB - 18 downloads)
IMG_0471 small.jpg (38KB - 20 downloads)
IMG_0361 Small.jpg (45KB - 21 downloads)
2011-12-28 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3956972

Extreme Veteran

Great pics Melanie

Michelle - nice wishlist

Oh and I forgot a few things on mine:

A drink bottle cage for my bike - I found I need a drink on anything 1hr+ but haven't got any way of carrying it right now

2011-12-28 7:29 AM

User image

Veteran
I have a Schwinn hybrid from Target.  It is not too heavy, but with me on it we won't be breaking any speed records anyway.  I'd like to get a used road bike, but I'm not sure what I can find around here.  I may look a bit in the spring.  I think one of the LBS has a used bike event.

2011-12-28 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
hoffsquared - 2011-12-28 6:31 AM

Happy Birthday Hilde & Vanessa.

No new tri gear for me.  New camera instead!

This past week has been full of family visiting @ my house.  2 extra adults and 4 kids staying nights with 4 other adults joining us every evening for dinners.  14 of us in total!  Finding enough bowls and plates for every meal has been interesting.  Had to break out paper & plastic several times.

We live about 8 miles from the White House so sight-seeing is big priority for everyone.  Visited Smithsonian museums, most of the monuments & memorials, and Spy Museum so far.  Today we head to Mount Vernon with a stop at a Krispy Kreme bakery on the way.  Tongue out

I bit the bullet and got a new bike in November.  I've discovered that I'm pretty competitive and my performance on my 1994 Trek was topped out.  After my last race, I knew I just couldn't get much more out of the old bike.  

I only rode a few and found that the Felt B16 (same kind as Hilde) seemed to be the best match.  Size = 51cm with 650cc wheels.  It handles quite differently from the Trek and it will take quite a few rides to get used to it as far as handling goes.  I LOVE the aero position.  Must admit hills are scary though given there are no brakes on the aerobars.

Still have to get hydration figured out.

My favorite pics with new camera below - FDR, MLK, WWII, Vietnam, and Korean memorials.

OMG Tammy Turtle, did you read this???  Sounds like it's time to find a flight to DC!!!!  Melanie, really great pics, you have a good eye!!  Is your B16 a 2011?  Because mine is a 52 but with 700 wheels... 

As for my wish list... hmmmm, I really have most everything I need for tris, but I wouldn't turn down a nice pair of sexy race wheels and those aero helmets are pretty awesome even if they do look kind of ridiculous!

And whoever said that it doesn't matter what kind of bike you have is right.... spending $5000 on a new bike will NOT make you faster, you gotta work on the engine!!  Although it sure would be fun to spend that much on a bike!  For those of you looking a buying a bike, roadie or tri bike, I can't say that I've noticed that much difference between my aluminum tri bike and my carbon tri bike.  And girls, let's just say watch your colors, I've had a helluva time trying to find lime green attire to match my bike!!

2011-12-28 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Melanie, I love the photos.  I hope you have lots of opportunities to use your new camera. 
2011-12-28 8:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL
Hey all!  I don't post much on the forum but I do check logs and inspire.  I can get "lost" on the computer if I don't watch myself.  I agree with Hilde about the expensive bike ... it's really all about the engine.  My husband, who is basically a couch potato, bought a new bike this year - more expensive than my new bike (which I waited patiently for all through my first tri year) thought he needed a better bike to keep up with me -- haha!  He rode some long trails with me this summer (and usually struggled to keep up) and now it sits in the garage.  He says he doesn't like to ride alone.  WTH, I ride alone all the time.  Now that I have a trainer, I told him we could buy another axle thingy so he can just switch out and put his bike on it when he wants to ride.  I can tell you right now that WON'T happen.  We've been paying for gym memberships for both of us and he probably averaged once a month all last year!  Of course, I haven't been using it much myself either except to swim -- pretty expensive pool if you ask me but I don't have anything else.   In my husband's defense, he doesn't have to worry about weight like I do, so I guess he can be lazy, but he complains about aches and pains all the time.  (That comes with age, I guess)  When I suggest that he felt better when he worked out regularly, he basically blows me off.  BUT he is a great supporter of me doing tris ... always comes and takes photos and cheers me on, so I can't complain too loudly.  Plus he's ten years younger than me so he won't really feel the age thing for a few more years.   He's still in his forties.
2011-12-28 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hilde / Vera happy Birthday.  Mine is 12/30!
2011-12-28 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gorgeous photos, Melanie! I was just thinking, when I have time and money for yet another hobby, I'd love a digital SLR and a photography class!

2011-12-28 9:13 AM

User image

Chattanooga

NAME: Wesmaster123 / Wesley

STORY: Hi all, Sorry I am late posting my bio. This is my second season doing triathlons and my second season in Hilde's group. I have taken a few months off from the "big three", but have been lifting weights still in the gym. My mom is also in the group (PeggyF) and I got started by watching her in a tri. I thought this is something I could do and have enjoyed it ever since.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 9 years. 2 boys (Mason - 5 & Rhett - 4). I am the resident inspector (federal government inspector) at the Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant. We live in the Chattanooga, TN area.

TRAINING: I completed 2 10k's, 1 duathlon, 2 sprint tri's, & 1 Olympic tri last year. This year coming I plan on doing about the same, but improving my times. I also would like to get more consistent with my training year round.

2011-12-28 10:00 AM

User image

New user
KY

Let me add my two cents to the bike discussion.  I just started cycling at the beginning of 2011.  My husband got me an entry level Trek (Alpha 1.1) road bike and I really like it.  We had both been interested in tri-bikes, but now we're glad we went with road bikes. The main reason is that we do a lot of group rides with our local cycling club, and bike clubs tend to frown upon tri-bikes.  Road bikes are easier to maneuver, and without the aerobars they are safer for the entire group.  Plus, they are a lot more versatile.  With that kind of budget I would invest in a very nice road bike and a great pair of clip-on aerobars to keep the versatility.

By the way, my husband and I are really thinking about Ironman 70.3 Augusta.  Did someone else on here mention it, too?

Happy birthday, Hilde and Vera!

2011-12-28 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
kpringle - 2011-12-27 6:41 PM

I have a Giant Defy.  It's a lower-end entry level road bike but it works good for me and of the ones I test rode, it fit me the best.  I did my first sprint on an older hybrid (only about 6 of the 12 gears workedSmile) and did OK, but knew I wanted a road bike after that.  I didn't have a lot of money to spend and since I don't really plan on doing anything longer than an Oly, it works good for me.

Hilde & Vanessa - Happy Birthday!!

2011-12-28 1:57 PM

User image

Expert

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Hilde and Vera! Hope you're both enjoying your days as (in)appropriately as possible!

To weigh in on the bike thread, I have two Cervelos-- an RS roadie that I bought this summer to replace the Cannondale that got trashed in my accident in May, and a P2 tri bike that I just bought as part of my audacious plan for 2012 to do the IM. Love them both and find them very comfortable, though they're rather different geometrically from one another. Honestly, if I'd not been struck by the IM idea, I'd have held off on the P2 purchase until I decided to jump in that particular pool-- but since I did, I figured if I was going to do this thing, I wanted to do it right! Plus, I count it a long-term investment, since I will certainly use the roadie for group rides and (I hope) centuries, while using the tri bike for races (particularly longer ones). But I absolutely agree with the prevailing thought that the engine matters far more than the machine itself-- can't wait to see how my bike fitness improves with consistent planned training...

BEAUTIFUL photos, Melanie! Thanks for sharing-- I love seeing these glimpses of where people live and train...

Hope everyone's enjoying their respective days!

Edited by wrkinprogress 2011-12-28 1:59 PM
2011-12-28 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3957186

User image

Veteran
Austin

jcarmody - 2011-12-28 8:36 AM Hilde / Vera happy Birthday.  Mine is 12/30!

That's kind of funny, mine is 12/31- appears we are heavy on the post xmas birthdays in this group!

2011-12-28 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Louise, that is too funny.  Any other December b'days in the group?
2011-12-28 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3957137

Extreme Veteran

Peggy - Hmm, just let DH go out with you when he wants - I dropped my gym membership because I was averaging about the same as him - I was walking 3-5 days a week at the time too though - and I wasn't even using the pool so it was a complete waste. I now use another local pool where I can get a multi pass for 10 visits (20 if I ever have the money,lol) and just go when I want.

Wesley - Welcome to the group - wait, what does your Mum do for a job again, (I don't remember any doctors in the group),lol - ok that's the trekkie coming out in me. I'm sure you'll do great with your goals for 2012.

Erin - Go for that IM.

wrkinprogress - Sounds like a great bike collection. I definitely need to work on the "engine" of my bike - but I'm still looking to upgrade eventually - some of them are really expensive though - not exactly what an ordinary childcare worker can afford.

Happy birthday to all those whose birthday's fall this week.

Mine isn't til August but I'm hoping to be a lot more fitter than I was this year.

2011-12-28 6:20 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Thank you all so much for your bike insight!!  I really do appreciate it...  I'll keep you all posted on how the bike research/purchase goes.  I'm hoping to do some looking around this weekend to see what fits best and what I can actually afford  
2011-12-28 7:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland

Hey Melanie!  You're not too far from me.  We should plan a weekend ride or something sometime....

In other news, before I got sick this afternoon, I was trying to get my stuff together for a trip to the gym and the pool.  Unfortunately, they kind of frown on swimming without a swim suit at the local pool.  I can't seem to find my swim suit.  A new one is on order and will be here either tomorrow or Friday.  

Good thing I decided to check my bag before I left, or I would have been irritated.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61