General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-10-05 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4441795

User image

Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread
Bib #'s are out - starting to get real.

2012-10-06 5:51 AM
in reply to: #4443343

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

Wow, Wow! Reality Check! #287 

aintaround - 2012-10-05 10:53 PM Bib #'s are out - starting to get real.

2012-10-06 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4439304

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-10-03 3:37 PM

I need some help from someone who gets it. The weather has changed here. It's gray and dreary most days, I'm working overtime and under a lot more stress at work, and I'm tired all the time. I don't want to train anymore. I'm wondering why the he!! I thought I had any business signing up for an IM. I want to drop out of life and cry and sleep.

I was going to do an organized century on Saturday, then I decided to do the 75 mile option, but it's only supposed to be in the 30's at start time and it's supposed to rain all day so I think I'm going to bail....but then what? 5 hours on a trainer? Ugh, kill me. I've got other commitments on Sunday so I think Sunday's out for a long ride.

PS - I don't tolerate cold well, particularly not when biking. Lately I've been wearing tights and arm warmers for group rides while my friends still show up in shorts and sleeveless jerseys.

My foot still hurts and I hope to God it's not a stress fracture. I mean, I have a number of reasons to believe it's not, and it's improved a LOT since this weekend (fully weight-bearing, not really painful to walk on, just more annoying than anything) and I'm ridiculously mad at myself for overdoing it. I'm not too concerned about losing run fitness at this point, it's just frustrating waiting out an injury.

The irony is that masters started up again last night and I LOVED it. It's SO much better than swimming solo. Time flew by and I pushed myself way harder than I ever do alone. So I'm pretty motivated to swim with the masters group.

Can anyone help me work through all this crap? I keep telling myself one more month, one more month, then taper time....just get through the next month.

Don't fret over it! You already have your base in store, this last month is maintain as much as possible. Even if you are only barely putting 7 or less hrs a weeks. 

I had issues last year- I built a big base prior to getting a new job in April. I didn't do any s/b/r until July 1st and my race was Aug.26th (Louisville). I worked six days a week and my work commute is 1 hr one way... you do the math.. I had no time- as a golf pro I work usually sun up to sun down... The few hours I had left, I made them count. I really never worried about it. 

I went to the race with one goal in mind which was to finish! and do the best I could, enjoy EVERY MOMENT, smiling, and having fun! 

This year as far as training goes, I am in the same boat, same job, same hours, and same commute- with a bum knee and little time to do s/b/r. You and I are in the same situation....... 

like some one else mentioned earlier, take it as a vacation! WE ARE GOING TO DO THIS, even if we have to crawl!

BTW- I improved my time at Louisville by 20 mins!!!!  

We got this sista!

Thomas

2012-10-06 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

Master

I agree with Golf Pro,

aside from the long ride and run, just sneak 40-60 SOLID minutes in each day where you can.

Spin classes, while not traditional TT style riding, will help too!

2012-10-06 4:49 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

WHERE ARE YOU FINDING YOUR BIB NUMBERS???????

Thanks to all of you. Really, from the bottom of my heart, I mean it. I wondered why I even said anything because I was pretty sure I was either going to get a "HTFU" or a "you're not ready" or something else.

Golfpro, seeing that it's possible to finish happy on less than ideal training makes me breathe a huge sigh of relief. HUGE. Thank you so much for that.

The rain threat went away so I did the 75 mile group ride today. It got COLD here - 40 degrees at the  start - and at the first rest stop at mile 19 I was ready to quit because I was freezing. But the only way to do that would've been to ride 19 back, and I had met a couple of guys that I was riding with, and they would've known I quit, so I kept going. It started to warm up and by the end I felt fine. It was a SLOW ride - I don't think my quads loosened up until mile 40, they were soooo cold - and it was hilly but I'm so glad I did it.

I was thinking about it and my training has been more ok than I was thinking. I've been pretty good about keeping up with the running and biking; I've missed or cut short a few workouts but that's generally because I went too long or hard in one of the other sports and wore myself out, so it balances out. Swimming sucked for September but my masters group is back so I'm not even going to sweat that I was slacking in the pool for a month. Coach has already reminded me of some things and says I'm already looking better after two days. I KNEW I was off and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, which is why I didn't want to swim; I was so frustrated!!

I realized I've even done extra biking this week by replacing some of the running with biking.

I'm going to try running on my foot tomorrow. I signed up for a tri for fun with a coworker - it's a 5 mile canoe (with a partner) 5 mile run, 18 mile bike. If my foot hates it, I'll walk the run. Walking is fine these days. I can say I'm totally doing it for fun with no regard for time because I'm horrible at canoeing and so is she!!

I've managed to tweak my work schedule so it's a bit better for training. I should be able to follow the plan this week and if my foot still is iffy, I'll swap out walking or pool running on my run days.

I think I can breathe again. Thank you so much for making me feel slightly less crazy.

2012-10-06 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Found it!!! #2327.

2012-10-06 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4443719

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-10-06 5:49 PM

The rain threat went away so I did the 75 mile group ride today. It got COLD here - 40 degrees at the  start - and at the first rest stop at mile 19 I was ready to quit because I was freezing. But the only way to do that would've been to ride 19 back, and I had met a couple of guys that I was riding with, and they would've known I quit, so I kept going. It started to warm up and by the end I felt fine. It was a SLOW ride - I don't think my quads loosened up until mile 40, they were soooo cold - and it was hilly but I'm so glad I did it.

Let me let you in a little secret- my longest ride last year was 72 miles- and HILLY!! climbed 7400 m... enough for IM L'ville-  YOU ARE THERE ALREADY!

2012-10-07 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

For what is worth- I mapped the ride course with ridewithgps and this is what is shows

I went over by a few miles but nonetheless, over 1100m of climbing.. not bad considering the elevation changes are small...

Edited by golfpro 2012-10-07 3:38 PM
2012-10-07 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

20 foot hills, huh?? Those are some big climbs.

Here's my ride from yesterday:

2012-10-08 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
I'm late to the party, I signed up a while ago for this race, but I haven't been on the boards at all in a while.

This is my second IM. My first was IM FL in 2010. I DNF'd less than a mile from the finish line when time ran out. So this is my do over!

Swimming is my weak spot, and I expect to have a slow swim, but in my last IM, the run is what did me in, so I have been doing a much heavier run training than anything else.

I did manage to pull off a brick last week of 100/6.5. My run, which was more like a walk, was slow, but when I was done, I felt like I could keeping going.

I have an aqua-bike coming up in two weeks, it is full iron distance for both the swim and the bike, but I am looking at it as a supported brick. I figure it will give me a good measure as to how well I have done.

Hope everyone has a great and injury free training and see you all in Mexico.
2012-10-09 3:38 AM

User image

Key West
Wow! Posted back in week 1, blinked, and here it is seven weeks away (well maybe there was a little training in between).Just caught up by reading your posts which were great. I can commiserate with most of you about your weather, but from the opposite side. Here in Key West it has been a sweat factory and maybe temp will drop to 87 in a week or two. Sorry, had to throw that out there.Well, #527 is off for a 40/6 weekday brick as an appetizer for more to follow. Keep up the effort!

2012-10-09 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4444861

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Mike Ervolina - 2012-10-08 10:16 AM I'm late to the party, I signed up a while ago for this race, but I haven't been on the boards at all in a while. This is my second IM. My first was IM FL in 2010. I DNF'd less than a mile from the finish line when time ran out. So this is my do over! Swimming is my weak spot, and I expect to have a slow swim, but in my last IM, the run is what did me in, so I have been doing a much heavier run training than anything else. I did manage to pull off a brick last week of 100/6.5. My run, which was more like a walk, was slow, but when I was done, I felt like I could keeping going. I have an aqua-bike coming up in two weeks, it is full iron distance for both the swim and the bike, but I am looking at it as a supported brick. I figure it will give me a good measure as to how well I have done. Hope everyone has a great and injury free training and see you all in Mexico.

EEEK! That scares me! My times are very similar to what's in your signature. Any thoughts on what happened for you at IMFL, so that others who are afraid of a similar predicament can learn from you???

Good luck on your AB and training!!

2012-10-09 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4446105

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

HeatmizerKW - 2012-10-09 4:38 AM Wow! Posted back in week 1, blinked, and here it is seven weeks away (well maybe there was a little training in between).Just caught up by reading your posts which were great. I can commiserate with most of you about your weather, but from the opposite side. Here in Key West it has been a sweat factory and maybe temp will drop to 87 in a week or two. Sorry, had to throw that out there.Well, #527 is off for a 40/6 weekday brick as an appetizer for more to follow. Keep up the effort!

I'd kill for a sweatbox right about now, at least for biking!!! 37 degrees this morning = trainer ride for me!

2012-10-09 4:21 PM

User image

Still plodding along in PA.  100 mile ride this past Saturday and 20 mile run on Sunday. 

I can't wait to sleep in on a Saturday or Sunday morning.  It seems like it's been forever : )

I hope everyone is doing well.  It will be upon us before we know it! 

Vince

2012-10-09 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4446168

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
runk8run - 2012-10-09 7:05 AM

Mike Ervolina - 2012-10-08 10:16 AM I'm late to the party, I signed up a while ago for this race, but I haven't been on the boards at all in a while. This is my second IM. My first was IM FL in 2010. I DNF'd less than a mile from the finish line when time ran out. So this is my do over! Swimming is my weak spot, and I expect to have a slow swim, but in my last IM, the run is what did me in, so I have been doing a much heavier run training than anything else. I did manage to pull off a brick last week of 100/6.5. My run, which was more like a walk, was slow, but when I was done, I felt like I could keeping going. I have an aqua-bike coming up in two weeks, it is full iron distance for both the swim and the bike, but I am looking at it as a supported brick. I figure it will give me a good measure as to how well I have done. Hope everyone has a great and injury free training and see you all in Mexico.

EEEK! That scares me! My times are very similar to what's in your signature. Any thoughts on what happened for you at IMFL, so that others who are afraid of a similar predicament can learn from you???

Yes, I have had two years to think about it. At the IMFL, I had a back spasm at mile 14 of the marathon. I was unable to stand or run upright. I kept running, but hunched over like some kind of crazed Igor looking person. That killed my time, so I hit midnight and I turned into a punkin and fell over and called for a ride to the med tent.

This year I have focused more on the run, no matter how good you do on the other two, you always finish with the run. I have come to believe, for me at least, the run has to be your strongest, because you do it at your weakest.

My advice, run, baby, run!
2012-10-09 9:32 PM

User image

Master

Hey All,

So far, this week is looking to be a good one. Have to check my plan, but I hope to have the time on Sat to watch most of the live feed from Kona on the internet.

I will probably tape it so I can use it as motivation when on the spin bike/trainer.

Getting pretty excited about the race!

2012-10-10 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Can anyone post an URL of the bib numbers?  I'm trying to see if a friend is doing it this year or not.
2012-10-10 7:24 AM
in reply to: #4447509

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
furiousferret - 2012-10-10 1:37 AMCan anyone post an URL of the bib numbers?  I'm trying to see if a friend is doing it this year or not.
Here you gohttp://www.asdeporte.com/resultadoseventos/busqueda.asp?evento=3617
2012-10-10 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4447393

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Mike Ervolina - 2012-10-09 10:14 PM
runk8run - 2012-10-09 7:05 AM

Yes, I have had two years to think about it. At the IMFL, I had a back spasm at mile 14 of the marathon. I was unable to stand or run upright. I kept running, but hunched over like some kind of crazed Igor looking person. That killed my time, so I hit midnight and I turned into a punkin and fell over and called for a ride to the med tent. This year I have focused more on the run, no matter how good you do on the other two, you always finish with the run. I have come to believe, for me at least, the run has to be your strongest, because you do it at your weakest. My advice, run, baby, run!

Oh no! Although it sounds like kind of a fluke. I have struggled a bit with running this year due to injuries; however, I have a decent running base. Lately I've been running slower than I used to, but feeling strong about it. That's how my HIM run felt - it was slow but I kept a very steady pace, ran the whole time (besides short walks so I could eat/drink) and felt like I could've gone longer than 13. I know people are telling me just to enjoy the vacation, do my best, blah blah blah, but the truth is I would be devastated if I got a DNF.

2012-10-10 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Oh yeah, ya'll, my foot is getting better. Running actually seems to help, so I'm back to my old running schedule after a week off. No pain when walking now. I'm pretty sure I'm fighting some extensor tendonitis and not a fracture and I'm confident that it can be gone before Coz.

I have also decided not to do any more races, not even as training runs, during this cycle. I did two in two weeks, considering them supported training runs, but I beat myself up too much during both of them. I was going to try to PR a 5k this weekend (I am LONG overdue for a 5k PR) but I'm too tired these days to do it.

2012-10-10 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4447638

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

golfpro - 2012-10-10 5:24 AM
furiousferret - 2012-10-10 1:37 AMCan anyone post an URL of the bib numbers?  I'm trying to see if a friend is doing it this year or not.
Here you gohttp://www.asdeporte.com/resultadoseventos/busqueda.asp?evento=3617

Thanks!

2012-10-10 2:42 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Travel buddy :)

Hey everyone :-)

So this is my first IM! and I am looking very much forward for it! Smile

Is anyone planning to travel to the area around cancun/playa del carmen after race day? I'm planning to stay around for about a week so if anyone need a travel buddy, please let me know! 

Hope you guys are starting to get ready for the race. I am a bit behind but hope to catch up!

/ Jesper 

2012-10-11 4:08 AM
in reply to: #4447654

User image

Key West
I feel like everyday I complete the task on the training plan is a PR. Off for a 15 mi run for breakfast,
2012-10-12 8:02 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Six weeks from now we'll be heading to MX!  Countdown is ON.
2012-10-12 8:44 AM

User image

Master

Getting real now!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16