BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-19 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3998686

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
If you're bored and want to learn more about bicycles...check out Sheldon Brown's website.  There are a ton of bike tech articles.  It's where I always start if I want to learn more about my bike.

2012-01-19 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3998209

St. Louis
jeffnboise - 2012-01-18 5:19 PM

Jamie-brother, I feel your pain about swimming.  I showed up at my pool, Total Immersion drills in hand, and proceeded to splash/thrash most of the water out of the pool.  But slowly, oh so slowly, I got a wee bit better.  Make your short term goals realistic and achievable; What will you accomplish in your NEXT workout?  Swim a 100 nonstop?  Swim 25 and feel like you might have 'got it' for just a few strokes.  Swimming is very much like golf.  Very technique driven.  However, any 'ol duffer (like me) can hit the links and shoot in the 90s.  But somewhere in that round of gold, you'll hit a GREAT shot.  That's when you'll stop and say "Hey, I get it...I can do this".   Look for those moments in your swimming.  Sometimes it flashes, and disappears, in a sec.  But recognize the moment and make it a template for your further growth.  Keep Swimming!....oh, my, that was the ramblings of an old man.  

Kristen-I got the VFFs as a gift, so I don't know if I would've bought them for myself, but I do LOVE them.  My son has the Adidas Adpure and he loves his as well.  I'm really more of a convert of the midfoot/forefoot strike and zero offset shoe design.  It has helped me with nagging calf injuries and tight periformas.   All the great things you love about being barefoot with none of the drawbacks. 

So, I hope I posted this correctly. Haven't done one of these bulletin board with the quote thingies in a while. But Jeff you really nailed it here. In fact yesterday my goal was to do 50's, and I did. It was the first time I ever really got tired at the pool because I have never pushed myself. Next week, or maybe the next it will be 75's, then 100's, etc. It really is the best approach. And yes, at least once or twice every outing I get into a groove for a few seconds that is downright exhilirating and the tiles on the pool bottom seem to whisk past me with grace and speed....and then they stop. And then I try to capture that again. Sometimes with more fleeting success, sometimes not.

KatNWater, your advice was certainly beneficial to me. I think the biggest lesson I was able to draw was that I realized I was starting my breathing way too late, like when my arm was well under the water I and I was pulling back instead of the moment my hand touches the water. Big difference! Made things much more comfortable for me.

Tambo, yeah that lifeguard things is kind of a catch-22. I have arrived at the pool a couple of and saw that nobody was swimming but me. Great!! No pressure, no distractions! Then I realize that the lifeguard has nothing to but watch me. Great....pressure, distraction...

Noodle ladies, I'll have to remember that.

And thanks to you Goonies for the support. Just writing this post today and yesterday has been cathartic but even better is to hear from real people, not just books, etc. about how so many other people have dealt with the same. Very encouraging. Thanks.

2012-01-19 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3955221

Middle Tennessee

Jamie - glad the breathing was a little easier.  Just keep swimming, it will get better.  And that is what I tell myself about the bike.

I like the term Noodle Ladies.  I call them LOLs (little old ladies).  

I am home-bound today.  Youngest is home with a cold.  So I get to try out the Spinerval instead of hitting the pool.  We shall see how I do. 

Have a great day Goonies!

2012-01-19 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Back in CO and need to get a good workout in.  Eating was horrible Mon-Wed and need to clean thy self out  Going to try and catch the Noon spin class (hope it's not full) and run on the treadmill for a mile or two before class. 

Thanks for the workout pointers Emily.  Going to check out the book on Amazon. 

Question - Does anyone have the Garmin 310XT or the new Timex Global Trainer?  I have an old Garmin Forerunner 305 (real big one) and want to upgrade to a water proof unit.  The one thing I also hated with the 305 was the issue of using it just to track HR while in doors.  The 305 always takes for ever to turn on due to the searching satellite issue.  Might even just pick up a non-gps unit for dedicated indoor training.  Would like to keep track of HR for my training logs. 

Joey

2012-01-19 11:15 AM

Middle Tennessee
I just got the Timex Global Trainer.  There was a great GearBuzz on the model with out the HR monitor, so I don't have a HR monitor.  I don't have the footpod either, but I do have the bike sensor.  I am very happy with it. I can't get a satatlite signal indoors, but if I stick it on the back porch for the time it takes me to lace up my shoes, I am locked and ready to go.
2012-01-19 11:20 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Finally got the man-cave gym finsihed.  Now I have tv/dvd viewing available while I'm on the rollers.

Got 45 min watching West Wing, then 10 min. of SimpleFit.  SF killed me for some reason.

2012-01-19 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3998458

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
esc - 2012-01-18 8:42 PM

The number refers to the number of teeth on the cog (or is it called a sprocket?).  For your cassette - the smallest has 12 the largest has 25.  I couldn't find a chart that listed the in-betweens but I'll look at a few more sites and see what I can see.

edited to add: I think I found it...

12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 17 - 19 - 21 - 23 - 25

I so could have used this a couple years ago. I did Spinervals and just made up what I was doing because I had no idea what Coach Troy was talking about. I finally sat 6 inches from the TV and watched the little window that showed the bike gears on the DVD until I figured it out.
2012-01-19 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
I finally got a 305 this year for Mother's Day gift - before that I had a polar with a foot pod (great for indoor, because it never looks for satellite - but not terribly accurate for distance). I don't mind setting it out on the driveway to lock in while I tie my shoes or whatever but I avoided using it for indoor because of the start up time. I did figure out that I can press some of the buttons while it's trying to lock on and it will go to the main, but it still asks me in a few minutes if I'm indoors.
2012-01-19 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3999553

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

KatNWater - 2012-01-19 11:15 AM I just got the Timex Global Trainer.  There was a great GearBuzz on the model with out the HR monitor, so I don't have a HR monitor.  I don't have the footpod either, but I do have the bike sensor.  I am very happy with it. I can't get a satatlite signal indoors, but if I stick it on the back porch for the time it takes me to lace up my shoes, I am locked and ready to go.

Kat - I'm leaning that way.  Amazon has a new one for only $131, which included the HRM strap.  I can pick up the bike sensor and still be under the 310XT.  Since it's well over $100 cheaper and does the same things, can't justify the added money for the Garmin. 

Beat the spin class crowd and got one of the last spots  Ran two miles while waiting for class to start and felt real strong on the bike.  Need to find some time to jump in the pool tomorrow.

2012-01-19 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Just a quick drive-by posting...

Quick note about the "inspire" system.   If I, or anyone else, posts an inspire in your blog that you would like to reply to, use the "reply" button.  This will post your reply in the inspire section of my blog.  It's the only way for me to know that you responded without having to go back to your blog.  If you have a few extra minutes, be sure to stop by other group member's blogs and leave them a happy note.

I'll check back in on the thread when I get home from work and the gym.

Later, gaters!

2012-01-19 6:51 PM

User image

haven't posted in a while - but I read this forum at work but on my iPhone - so replying too cumbersome.  I sure appreciate all you guys write as it inspires me in a couple ways - mostly because all the issues brought up are ones I dealt with last year. Not that I'm not still a beginner as there is so much to learn, but that doing my first full year of tri's last year gave me tons to learn!

• Garmin - I have a 310XT because I got it for $100 bucks off through some Girls on the run coaches deal.  I don't use it in the pool, but love that I can clip it on my bike and switch back and forth from running and biking, and that I now have a cadence /speed sensor for my trainer.  I don't need a cyclocomputer then.  I'm trying out the HR monitor, kinda cool.
  • Vibrams - oh geez, trying not to be a hater, but I believe my marathon PR came about because I was desperate to pass a girl wearing pink 'gorilla' shoes.  Once I passed her, I kept that image in my mind - no way was THAT gonna happen   I did see her after the race and congratulated her AND I'm trying out minimalist Skecher's Go Run's that are awesome.  I use them on my midweek runs only right now, but I'm digging the feel of them.  How do Vibrams compare to a minimalist shoe?
  • Swimming - you guys really are inspiring.  Four years ago (before I liked running or swimming) I learned to swim so that 'someday' I could maybe do a triathlon.  I will tell you that now swimming is my best event!
    • YOU DO HAVE A RIGHT TO BE IN A LANE AT THE POOL
    • YOU SHOULDN'T EVER FEEL EMBARASSED TO BE OUT THERE TRYING YOUR BEST
    • LIFEGUARDS NEED SOMETHING TO KEEP THEM FROM FALLING ASLEEP
    • YOU ARE STRONGER THAN ANY BIKINI-CLAD PIXIE
    • YOU WILL IMPROVE
    • You should commit to swimming three times a week and study drills, workouts, methods, seek out a more experienced swimmer to join you at the pool. My hubby is using the 0TO1650 http://ruthkazez.com/swimming.html plan.  He only started swimming in December and everything I'm hearing here  is how it started for him.  He's improving everyday.
    • RELAX - swimming is fun - and when it all comes together, you will be amazed at how strong you feel!
  • bike/swim/run apparel - Amazon, Trisports, bikenashbar, target - yeah, I'm a junkie for clearance merchandise!
  • Running - I'm struggling like crazy here - probably because the weather SUCKS right now.  I am way too ADD for the gym. I start on the treadmill, then have to go to the bathroom, then try again, then fiddle with the TV, the iPod, watch the sunset - check out other people's paces, look at my muffin top in the mirror, etc etc. etc. - how I miss the long slow solitude.  So I was supposed to run 4-6-4 this week?  I ran 1.5, .5, 2, 2, .75, 1.  nothing substantial.  Ugh.
  • Some weeks are great - others are just bits and pieces of a lifestyle we are all working towards achieving. I think if I didn't have all of you and my friends who are all training, I would give up or get really discouraged. I'm realizing that the obstacles and the quest for knowledge and being part of a group and getting through the tough spots all make those really good workouts golden.  If you only have time for two miles - make them two great miles.  If you are struggling in the pool - focus on one great 100 yard stretch.  Get on a bike and practice the finish line and crank it!
  • BELIEVE IN YOURSELF - If it was easy - everyone would do it.  But it's not and we're all in the pool, on the bike, or lacing up shoes when everyone else is stuck on the couch.  I love what training does for my muscles and my attitude!

so Saturday I'm shooting for a really long run - I don't care if I have to drag out my yak trax.  I don't need to go fast, I JUST NEED to go  to that place that reminds why I love all of this! 

Have a great week everyone!

2012-01-19 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Hi all, my head cold went into war mode with me today. I hate being achey when I never even worked out, it's like being cold with no snow. Anyway, I'm forced to take a couple days off.

Jeff, I'm so jealous that cave sounds nice, that's on my 10 year plan.

Kat, I just got a global also, I used it on the elliptical this week for throw hr, very cool graphing software, I also got thegarmin speed/cadence sensor but will have to wait till this weekend to give that a go. One question, I read that it doesn't work with the foot pod, have you heard otherwise?

Joey, amazon had the global trainer down to100 not long ago and so you can find a lot of them nib on ebay for around 125 or so, consider it, I like mine so far.

Iron Penguin, hang in there you'll be able to get outside before you know it.

I feel like I'm learning so much lingo this week, noodle ladies and gorilla shoes, brilliant

Cheers to everyone
2012-01-19 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
NWA

Nice to read the posts today...I had one of those - man I really don't feel like working out days.  But, the posts I read on my iphone throughout the day keep me going.  Thanks ya'll.

Have a good Friday and a fabulous weekend!  We're supposed to have great weather - so a long ride is overdue outdoors!!

Tammy (Tambo)

2012-01-19 9:20 PM

Middle Tennessee

coolgenes - here ya go!  Mythbusters AND a foot pod.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/timex-global-trainer-gets-mythbusters.html

I avoid the dreadmill at all costs, so I am not super interested in the foot pod, but I would like to get the HR monitor.

2012-01-19 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Awesome Kat, thanks. I like his posts, his review is what convinced me to go ahead and get the Timex when I was on the fence. I do elliptical early morning when the Dw is at Adventure Boot camp and the DS is still sleeping. Otherwise I'd. Be out running also, it wouldn't be so bad if I had a workout cave though.
2012-01-19 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4000703

User image

coolgenes - 2012-01-19 9:29 PM Awesome Kat, thanks. I like his posts, his review is what convinced me to go ahead and get the Timex when I was on the fence. I do elliptical early morning when the Dw is at Adventure Boot camp and the DS is still sleeping. Otherwise I'd. Be out running also, it wouldn't be so bad if I had a workout cave though.

love your signature!

2012-01-19 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4000703

Middle Tennessee

coolgenes - 2012-01-19 9:29 PM Awesome Kat, thanks. I like his posts, his review is what convinced me to go ahead and get the Timex when I was on the fence. I do elliptical early morning when the Dw is at Adventure Boot camp and the DS is still sleeping. Otherwise I'd. Be out running also, it wouldn't be so bad if I had a workout cave though.

I am in awe of your elliptical abilities. I can go about 3 minutes on an elliptical before my feet fall asleep, and I question why I am at the gym at all. 

2012-01-20 5:19 AM
in reply to: #4000733

User image

Veteran
Clemson
iron_penguin - 2012-01-19 10:53

love your signature!

Ditto
2012-01-20 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3999571

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
jeffnboise - 2012-01-19 12:20 PM

Finally got the man-cave gym finsihed.  Now I have tv/dvd viewing available while I'm on the rollers.

Got 45 min watching West Wing, then 10 min. of SimpleFit.  SF killed me for some reason.

I'm so happy that The Dude granted me some space in his man-cave for my trainer setup.  Big TV to keep me distracted...and the beer fridge is really close by if I need a little extra hydration.

2012-01-20 6:28 AM
in reply to: #4000133

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-19 4:14 PM

Kat - I'm leaning that way.  Amazon has a new one for only $131, which included the HRM strap.  I can pick up the bike sensor and still be under the 310XT.  Since it's well over $100 cheaper and does the same things, can't justify the added money for the Garmin. 

Beat the spin class crowd and got one of the last spots  Ran two miles while waiting for class to start and felt real strong on the bike.  Need to find some time to jump in the pool tomorrow.

Just wanted to add one more vote for the global trainer.  I occassionally have trouble with satellite aquisition but it really does everything I want and you can't beat the price!

2012-01-20 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4000516

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
iron_penguin - 2012-01-19 7:51 PM

Running - I'm struggling like crazy here - probably because the weather SUCKS right now.  I am way too ADD for the gym. I start on the treadmill, then have to go to the bathroom, then try again, then fiddle with the TV, the iPod, watch the sunset - check out other people's paces, look at my muffin top in the mirror, etc etc. etc. - how I miss the long slow solitude.  So I was supposed to run 4-6-4 this week?  I ran 1.5, .5, 2, 2, .75, 1.  nothing substantial.  Ugh.

An altogether fantastic post...but just wanted to say that this little gem right here may have made my day!  I'm happy the treadmills at my gym look down on the studios.  Instead of watching my muffin top I get to stare at all the crazy people zumba-ing down below.  High entertainment.

2012-01-20 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4000973

User image

We have an indoor track (21 laps to a mile) that circles the classroom. Hip hop, Zumba, etc. kinda cool for a short burst little warm up. Today is a rest day. I know I can fit this in. Our family room is the Pain Cave. Trainer treadmill mats stereo tv weights fans. But no beer fridge. Yet.
2012-01-20 8:43 AM

St. Louis
???Unable to get to gym due sick 4 year old. After seeing other people's children sneeze and cough on mine I prefer not to be a part of the problem and keep them home when they are under the weather. Anyway, no fancy home equipment for me. Jumped rope for 30 minutes. 2000 reps.
2012-01-20 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4000366

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
esc - 2012-01-19 4:56 PM

Just a quick drive-by posting...

Quick note about the "inspire" system.   If I, or anyone else, posts an inspire in your blog that you would like to reply to, use the "reply" button.  This will post your reply in the inspire section of my blog.  It's the only way for me to know that you responded without having to go back to your blog.  If you have a few extra minutes, be sure to stop by other group member's blogs and leave them a happy note.

I'll check back in on the thread when I get home from work and the gym.

Later, gaters!

I'm pretty new to BT, actually participating rather than lurking Not sure what you are talking about and I can't figure out how to even create a blog or even read the ones from our group.  

Thanks

2012-01-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4001010

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

iron_penguin - 2012-01-20 8:11 AM

We have an indoor track (21 laps to a mile) that circles the classroom. Hip hop, Zumba, etc. kinda cool for a short burst little warm up. Today is a rest day. I know I can fit this in. Our family room is the Pain Cave. Trainer treadmill mats stereo tv weights fans. But no beer fridge. Yet.

We know a couple that both do tris.  Their living room is full of bicycles.  They have two racks mounted on either side of the TV.  It's like an art installation!  Totally awesome.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23