BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-05-07 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4730654

User image

Haymarket, VA
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed

kidtri33 - 2013-05-07 6:48 AM 1:50 z1/z2 run in the rain done. Sometimes I wish I owned a treadmill...

Wife and I turned one of our spare rooms into a mini gym.  Have a treadmill, nautilus universal gym, and pretty soon to add an elliptical and rowing machine.

2013-05-07 6:42 AM
in reply to: #4730007

User image

Extreme Veteran
kaburns1214 - 2013-05-06 4:20 PM

everlong - 2013-05-06 3:38 PM So I just crossed over 1,000 miles using three different pairs of Kivanas which have a 4mm toe-to-heel drop. The Virrata is built the same way as Kivanas and just came out with a zero drop. I've done some mileage in pure minimalist shoes and they're fine for a beach or trail but for me too little for the road. I was wondering if anybody is using a similar product that's more of a modified speed shoe than a true minimalist shoe and opinions on the zero drop in general. The other upside to the Virrata is being an ounce lighter. I think having put in so many miles with a quasi minimalist shoe already the transition should be easy.

I've been running on the Virratas (swapping them in and out with my Kinvara 3s).  There was a slight transition (a little calf pain, which is normal when decreasing the drop).  I find them to be super comfortable and I like the fact that the Virratas are built on a fairly wide shoe bed to help disperse shock. 

I don't have anything to add about the Virratas, but I want to ask how much calf pain is normal when decreasing drop?  I switched to the Mirages from the Ghosts.  I'm only using the Mirages for shorter, easier runs.  When is it safe to try them out on a longer or faster run?  I don't want to get hurt.  

2013-05-07 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4723981

User image

Pro
CyFair
Quinn was a pain to put down last night.  I think we finally both passed out on the sofa around midnight.  So I'm just waking up.  Rest day for me.  Abby's end of year program is today at 12:30 so I get to duck out for that.
2013-05-07 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4730501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kuma - 2013-05-06 10:57 PM

So here's the race report.  As I mentioned, yesterday was my first triathlon, the Monticelloman Olympic near Charlottesville, VA.  I have broken down my impressions by section of the event.  Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be able to remember this myself.  The event people say that there was some problem with the time calculations, so my splits may change, but I'm going to put them here anyway, just so I'll have the data all in one place.  

Prerace

There's a lot to prepare in advance of a triathlon.  I got there almost two hours in advance, and still had to scramble to get everything set up in time.  Part of that was that the parking was a long way away (this was my only real gripe about the event - otherwise it was great), but picking up a chip, getting marked, lubing up with both body glide and sunscreen, putting on wetsuit (backward the first time - oops!) setting up the bike plus all the gear, setting up the transition area for bike and for run, final trip to the toilet, brief warmup swim, gel 15 minutes before the start, takes a long time!  Lesson learned: Get more organized, and maybe get there a little earlier next time.  

Swim - 31:12

This was the part that frustrated me the most.  I worked really hard all through the winter at the swim, and made good progress, as best I can tell.  Then when I got into the water yesterday, I found I couldn't go more than 20-25 strokes without looking up and swimming breaststroke for awhile in order to catch my breath.  I think the reason for this was the temperature - 66 degrees.  My body wasn't cold b/c of the wetsuit, but putting my face and head into the water made me gasp for breath.  I'm guessing the only solution for this is to do it more often, but maybe you veterans have additional ideas.  The chaos of the group start (123 people started in my wave) was also disconcerting, and I found that swimming over people (or having them swim over me) made it hard to establish a rhythm.   I also need to work on sighting - I think between my zigs and zags, I swam farther than the full distance.  I ended up swimming breaststroke a little more than half the distance, and felt fried at the end.  Sigh.  Lesson Learned: Do more open water swims in cold water, I guess...

T1 - don't know my time yet, but I think around 5-6 minutes.  

I had managed to arrange everything so I could get to it easily, so this didn't go so badly.  (Probably also helped that many people had come and gone already by the time I got there.) My wife had lent me a very cute, multicolored towel with teddy bears on it to use as my place marker, which I thought was awesome, but I imagined people smirking at me.  It was chilly (high 40s and overcast at the start) outside, though, so I decided not to wear any tri-singlet under my wetsuit for the swim, which meant I had to put it on in T1, plus two other layers.  I also put on socks in T1, which took time.  Lesson Learned: I'll try to learn to go without socks and do the shoes-on-the-pedals-in-advance thing at some point, but I'm not ready for those yet.

Bike - 1:14 

I felt strong and confident on the bike, so this went well.  It was a hilly course, and that's what I like the most, so I ended up passing a lot of people on the hills.  I wasn't sure how to manage the no-drafting rules.  The group occasionally got bunched up and I was nervous we'd be called for drafting, but nobody did, as far as I know.  Turns out I made the right decision about three dry layers for the bike, since I heard several other people complaining about how they were so cold they couldn't ride fast.  

After several miles, I ended up riding in the same vicinity as a group of about 4 or 5 others of about the same ability.  They'd pass me on the downhills, and I'd catch and pass them when the roads turned up.  We ended up all finishing at roughly the same time.  I also planned to have two gels on the bike, but ended up only having one.  I didn't really know what to do, so I went hard on the bike, without intentionally backing off to save energy for the run.  I might save a little more next time.  Lesson Learned: Have the two gels, and save a little bit more for the run(?).

T2 - Again, don't know, but around 2 minutes

This went pretty smoothly.  Ran in my bike shoes for about 40 yards from the dismount line into the transition area proper.  I'll eventually learn how to do the take-feet-out-of-shoes-while-moving thing, but I'm not there yet.  Stripped off the outer layer, helmet, popped on race belt with number, popped on shoes, and ran.  

Run - 54:57

The first four miles of the run were really hard.  My legs felt really dead when I got off the bike.  All of the people I passed on the bike passed me back on the run, at least if felt that way.  I had one gel on the run - around the end of mile 1.  Here were my (unofficial) mile splits: 8:51; 9:22; 9:04; 9:12; 8:55; 8:30; 0:53.  I thought I had gotten faster as the run went along, but looking at the times now, it wasn't as big a difference as I thought.  Maybe I should've run harder toward the end.  I also need to work on drinking from paper cups while running.  I either spilled it all, or gulped equal parts water and air - no fun.  I did have one awesome moment of inspiration - at about mile 2, when I really needed it, I passed by a guy running with a prosthetic leg.  Seeing him out there with only one leg but fighting it and not letting it defeat him made me feel really great for him, and it made me hurt a little less.  Lesson learned: Do more brick workouts!  Overall finishing time: 2:48:10.  

Post-race

I was pretty wiped out at the finish, but felt better after I sat down and had something to drink.  I had a great endorphin rush after finishing, and on top of that, the sun came out, so it was a nice way to finish.  I had hoped to finish faster than 2:45, but in the scheme of things I'm still really pleased with 2:48.  It gives me a good baseline to work from starting now, and gave me some great understanding of things to do and things not to do.  I lay down on a grassy hillside and sunned myself like a walrus for about 15 minutes, had some food, stretched out calves and hamstrings, packed up my gear, and got on the road back to DC.   

It sounds like you did AWESOME for your first triathlon!!! Congrats again!

2013-05-07 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4730624

User image

Extreme Veteran
kaburns1214 - 2013-05-07 5:34 AM

Good morning everyone!

1:30 Bike and :50 Run for me this morning.  Its about 45 degrees here this morning so it will be a little bit nippy.

What's on tap for everyone else?

Rest day for me and I couldn't be happier. My body is tired and my legs are still sore from Sunday's run.

2013-05-07 7:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So here's the race report.  As I mentioned, yesterday was my first triathlon, the Monticelloman Olympic near Charlottesville, VA.  I have broken down my impressions by section of the event.  Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be able to remember this myself.  The event people say that there was some problem with the time calculations, so my splits may change, but I'm going to put them here anyway, just so I'll have the data all in one place.  

Prerace

There's a lot to prepare in advance of a triathlon.  I got there almost two hours in advance, and still had to scramble to get everything set up in time.  Part of that was that the parking was a long way away (this was my only real gripe about the event - otherwise it was great), but picking up a chip, getting marked, lubing up with both body glide and sunscreen, putting on wetsuit (backward the first time - oops!) setting up the bike plus all the gear, setting up the transition area for bike and for run, final trip to the toilet, brief warmup swim, gel 15 minutes before the start, takes a long time!  Lesson learned: Get more organized, and maybe get there a little earlier next time.  

Swim - 31:12

This was the part that frustrated me the most.  I worked really hard all through the winter at the swim, and made good progress, as best I can tell.  Then when I got into the water yesterday, I found I couldn't go more than 20-25 strokes without looking up and swimming breaststroke for awhile in order to catch my breath.  I think the reason for this was the temperature - 66 degrees.  My body wasn't cold b/c of the wetsuit, but putting my face and head into the water made me gasp for breath.  I'm guessing the only solution for this is to do it more often, but maybe you veterans have additional ideas.  The chaos of the group start (123 people started in my wave) was also disconcerting, and I found that swimming over people (or having them swim over me) made it hard to establish a rhythm.   I also need to work on sighting - I think between my zigs and zags, I swam farther than the full distance.  I ended up swimming breaststroke a little more than half the distance, and felt fried at the end.  Sigh.  Lesson Learned: Do more open water swims in cold water, I guess...

T1 - don't know my time yet, but I think around 5-6 minutes.  

I had managed to arrange everything so I could get to it easily, so this didn't go so badly.  (Probably also helped that many people had come and gone already by the time I got there.) My wife had lent me a very cute, multicolored towel with teddy bears on it to use as my place marker, which I thought was awesome, but I imagined people smirking at me.  It was chilly (high 40s and overcast at the start) outside, though, so I decided not to wear any tri-singlet under my wetsuit for the swim, which meant I had to put it on in T1, plus two other layers.  I also put on socks in T1, which took time.  Lesson Learned: I'll try to learn to go without socks and do the shoes-on-the-pedals-in-advance thing at some point, but I'm not ready for those yet.

I felt strong and confident on the bike, so this went well.  It was a hilly course, and that's what I like the most, so I ended up passing a lot of people on the hills.  I wasn't sure how to manage the no-drafting rules.  The group occasionally got bunched up and I was nervous we'd be called for drafting, but nobody did, as far as I know.  Turns out I made the right decision about three dry layers for the bike, since I heard several other people complaining about how they were so cold they couldn't ride fast.  

After several miles, I ended up riding in the same vicinity as a group of about 4 or 5 others of about the same ability.  They'd pass me on the downhills, and I'd catch and pass them when the roads turned up.  We ended up all finishing at roughly the same time.  I also planned to have two gels on the bike, but ended up only having one.  I didn't really know what to do, so I went hard on the bike, without intentionally backing off to save energy for the run.  I might save a little more next time.  Lesson Learned: Have the two gels, and save a little bit more for the run(?).

T2 - Again, don't know, but around 2 minutes

This went pretty smoothly.  Ran in my bike shoes for about 40 yards from the dismount line into the transition area proper.  I'll eventually learn how to do the take-feet-out-of-shoes-while-moving thing, but I'm not there yet.  Stripped off the outer layer, helmet, popped on race belt with number, popped on shoes, and ran.  

Run - 54:57

The first four miles of the run were really hard.  My legs felt really dead when I got off the bike.  All of the people I passed on the bike passed me back on the run, at least if felt that way.  I had one gel on the run - around the end of mile 1.  Here were my (unofficial) mile splits: 8:51; 9:22; 9:04; 9:12; 8:55; 8:30; 0:53.  I thought I had gotten faster as the run went along, but looking at the times now, it wasn't as big a difference as I thought.  Maybe I should've run harder toward the end.  I also need to work on drinking from paper cups while running.  I either spilled it all, or gulped equal parts water and air - no fun.  I did have one awesome moment of inspiration - at about mile 2, when I really needed it, I passed by a guy running with a prosthetic leg.  Seeing him out there with only one leg but fighting it and not letting it defeat him made me feel really great for him, and it made me hurt a little less.  Lesson learned: Do more brick workouts!  Overall finishing time: 2:48:10.  

Post-race

I was pretty wiped out at the finish, but felt better after I sat down and had something to drink.  I had a great endorphin rush after finishing, and on top of that, the sun came out, so it was a nice way to finish.  I had hoped to finish faster than 2:45, but in the scheme of things I'm still really pleased with 2:48.  It gives me a good baseline to work from starting now, and gave me some great understanding of things to do and things not to do.  I lay down on a grassy hillside and sunned myself like a walrus for about 15 minutes, had some food, stretched out calves and hamstrings, packed up my gear, and got on the road back to DC.   

You did a fantastic job, Matt!  Nice race report. 

How long was your swim warmup?  The cold water always makes thing extra difficult with breathing.  Did you wear full sleeves?  I think you'll find that the transition to the run from the bike is easier the more you do it.  Have you done any short transition runs off the bike in practice?    

2013-05-07 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4730624

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good morning everyone!

1:30 Bike and :50 Run for me this morning.  Its about 45 degrees here this morning so it will be a little bit nippy.

You didn't answer your own question yesterday.  What is your favorite workout and why?

2013-05-07 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

3000 over/under in the pool this morning and then 1:20 on the trainer after I pick the kids up from school.  Allergies are really kicking in with the high pollen levels around here.  I'm surprised my asthma isn't kicking up.  I'm breathing pretty well.

Off to take my 2 younger boys to their swim lesson!  

2013-05-07 7:21 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
So early registration for the Houston Half and Full Marathons opens today.  I have a qualifying (under 1:52) time for the half from the USA Fit Half earlier this year.  The half is only $10 cheaper than the full though.  I'm thinking about finding a way into the full instead.
2013-05-07 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran

Matt, I think you did wonderfully and I am not quite sure why you considered the swim to have gone so poorly. Congratulations.

1:10 on the trainer with intervals followed by a brick run. I was surprised the first mile (z2) was done around 720. The final portion of the Z1 run was in the upper 8s. Felt good.

2013-05-07 9:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Larkin - I read your review on the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly shoe - do you still like it? I am thinking of trying a pair.

2013-05-07 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4730697

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
jarvy01 - 2013-05-07 7:42 AM

everlong - 2013-05-06 3:38 PM So I just crossed over 1,000 miles using three different pairs of Kivanas which have a 4mm toe-to-heel drop. The Virrata is built the same way as Kivanas and just came out with a zero drop. I've done some mileage in pure minimalist shoes and they're fine for a beach or trail but for me too little for the road. I was wondering if anybody is using a similar product that's more of a modified speed shoe than a true minimalist shoe and opinions on the zero drop in general. The other upside to the Virrata is being an ounce lighter. I think having put in so many miles with a quasi minimalist shoe already the transition should be easy.

I've been running on the Virratas (swapping them in and out with my Kinvara 3s).  There was a slight transition (a little calf pain, which is normal when decreasing the drop).  I find them to be super comfortable and I like the fact that the Virratas are built on a fairly wide shoe bed to help disperse shock. 

I don't have anything to add about the Virratas, but I want to ask how much calf pain is normal when decreasing drop?  I switched to the Mirages from the Ghosts.  I'm only using the Mirages for shorter, easier runs.  When is it safe to try them out on a longer or faster run?  I don't want to get hurt.  

I have been wondering the same Jen...
2013-05-07 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4730911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
ccmpsyd - 2013-05-07 10:04 AM Larkin - I read your review on the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly shoe - do you still like it? I am thinking of trying a pair.
I love them! Now they are really nice and broken-in . The only down fall and this seems to be the same for may tri-shoes is that if you are doing a flying mount and then slip on your shoes I have had the strap slip out of the eye and had to stop to get it fixed. Only happened to me once. There are remedies to prevent that from happening but I have notice that since they are broken in I don't seem to have that issue anymore. 
2013-05-07 9:23 AM

User image

Haymarket, VA
All this talk about shoes, makes me feel like I should pay more attention to mine.  I just bought whatever the gang at Potomac River Running suggested for me after watching me on the treadmill for a few minutes.  I think they are Saucony Progrid Guide 6.
2013-05-07 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4730727

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2013-05-07 8:13 AM

Good morning everyone!

You didn't answer your own question yesterday.  What is your favorite workout and why?

I really like over / unders, but because they're so race specific, I rarely get to do them.  I also like low cadence work on the bike and anything aerobic.  Unfortunately what I need is speed work, and I'm not a huge fan of that.  We all tend to like what we're good at, but in reality we need more of what we don't like.

Edited by kaburns1214 2013-05-07 9:24 AM
2013-05-07 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4730697

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
jarvy01 - 2013-05-07 7:42 AM

You shouldn't feel calf "pain," it should be "soreness." 

What really matters is the distance not the intensity so if they feel good on short, easy runs, you should be able to "upgrade" to longer runs (even if they are more intense).

2013-05-07 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4730743

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

uhcoog - 2013-05-07 8:21 AM So early registration for the Houston Half and Full Marathons opens today.  I have a qualifying (under 1:52) time for the half from the USA Fit Half earlier this year.  The half is only $10 cheaper than the full though.  I'm thinking about finding a way into the full instead.

Have you discussed this with your coach yet?  Wink

Edited by kaburns1214 2013-05-07 9:31 AM
2013-05-07 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4730911

User image

Pro
CyFair

ccmpsyd - 2013-05-07 9:04 AM Larkin - I read your review on the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly shoe - do you still like it? I am thinking of trying a pair.

I just got them too.  The carbon (orange and black) and love them so far.  Once they're broken in they'll be perfect.

2013-05-07 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4730962

User image

Pro
CyFair

mleech77 - 2013-05-07 9:23 AM All this talk about shoes, makes me feel like I should pay more attention to mine.  I just bought whatever the gang at Potomac River Running suggested for me after watching me on the treadmill for a few minutes.  I think they are Saucony Progrid Guide 6.

That is actually not a bad way to go.  Have someone trained to look at your gait refer something.  Once you're to that point though you can start to tinker.  I like more minimalist shoes so I started in a clunkier Brooks shoe and started to move towards a more minimal one.  Right now I have a pair of PureConnects and PureFlows.  The Flows are really Connects with more cushion to them (same drop/little heavier) and I'll be using them for Texas.

2013-05-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4730962

User image

Expert

mleech77 - 2013-05-07 10:23 AM All this talk about shoes, makes me feel like I should pay more attention to mine.  I just bought whatever the gang at Potomac River Running suggested for me after watching me on the treadmill for a few minutes.  I think they are Saucony Progrid Guide 6.

I started running with the Guide series. I forget what number it was but I think I had two pairs of 4's and a pair of 5's. It's a solid shoe that gives you lots of support to build up your run fitness. I didn't move to the Kirvana's for a while and now I'm only going to the Virrata's after an even longer time. Scott and Kelly may feel differently but I'm of the opinion that you're better off dropping down slowly. Maybe I'm on the conservative side but where this is your first season that's my take.

2013-05-07 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4731006

User image

Expert
uhcoog - 2013-05-07 10:40 AM

mleech77 - 2013-05-07 9:23 AM All this talk about shoes, makes me feel like I should pay more attention to mine.  I just bought whatever the gang at Potomac River Running suggested for me after watching me on the treadmill for a few minutes.  I think they are Saucony Progrid Guide 6.

That is actually not a bad way to go.  Have someone trained to look at your gait refer something.  Once you're to that point though you can start to tinker.  I like more minimalist shoes so I started in a clunkier Brooks shoe and started to move towards a more minimal one.  Right now I have a pair of PureConnects and PureFlows.  The Flows are really Connects with more cushion to them (same drop/little heavier) and I'll be using them for Texas.

You replied while I was tying mine. I think that's happened a dozen times in the last year.

2013-05-07 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4730985

User image

Pro
CyFair
kaburns1214 - 2013-05-07 9:31 AM

uhcoog - 2013-05-07 8:21 AM So early registration for the Houston Half and Full Marathons opens today.  I have a qualifying (under 1:52) time for the half from the USA Fit Half earlier this year.  The half is only $10 cheaper than the full though.  I'm thinking about finding a way into the full instead.

Have you discussed this with your coach yet?  Wink

LOL.  As a coach I'd say the smart thing for a triathlete to do going into the season would be a half.  It won't jack up your body for a few weeks.  That said a full is uber intriguing.

2013-05-07 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4731014

User image

Pro
CyFair
everlong - 2013-05-07 9:44 AM
uhcoog - 2013-05-07 10:40 AM

You replied while I was tying mine. I think that's happened a dozen times in the last year.

Haha

2013-05-07 10:09 AM

User image

Expert

I worked really hard all through the winter at the swim, and made good progress, as best I can tell.  Then when I got into the water yesterday, I found I couldn't go more than 20-25 strokes without looking up and swimming breaststroke for awhile in order to catch my breath.  I think the reason for this was the temperature - 66 degrees.  My body wasn't cold b/c of the wetsuit, but putting my face and head into the water made me gasp for breath.  

66 isn't cold!!!! LOL. I guess it's what you're used to. Doing ocean swims in MA I've been in the water in the mid 50's, now that's cold.

Great job on the race that's a solid time.

2013-05-07 10:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

You would like Culpeper then if you like hills. I am telling you you should come out. Based on the above I would be chasing you! Great job!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86